Maybe root? GEOHOT

Search This thread

greatnesstx

Aug 29, 2007
Well geoholt emailed me back, I am just copy and past what he wrote me. If this works ALL CREDIT GOES TO HIM

If this indeed works I'll post his pay pal email and please guys pay up. As I am not a dev nor do I know code. I am just copying and pasting what he emailed me.

geohot@dasher:~$ adb shell
shell@klteatt:/ $ cat /system/build.prop | grep "ro.product.model"

ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

shell@klteatt:/ $ id

uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats) context=u:r:shell:s0

shell@klteatt:/ $ su

root@klteatt:/ # id

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:init:s0

root@klteatt:/ #*

He emailed be back, he is trying to show proof, of root, his paypal email is geohot@gmail.com

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ks3rv3rg

Apr 29, 2012
Well geoholt emailed me back, I am just copy and past what he wrote me. If this works ALL CREDIT GOES TO HIM

I need someone to confirm , as right now I don't have that phone on me.

If this indeed works I'll post his pay pal email and please guys pay up. As I am not a dev nor do I know code. I am just copying and pasting what he emailed me.

geohot@dasher:~$ adb shell
shell@klteatt:/ $ cat /system/build.prop | grep "ro.product.model"

ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

shell@klteatt:/ $ id

uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats) context=u:r:shell:s0

shell@klteatt:/ $ su

root@klteatt:/ # id

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:init:s0

root@klteatt:/ #*

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

is this serious?! Does he really have root????

The code he pasted is just showing that he's apparently achieved root!

Last edited:
Reactions: rawhide85

geohot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
AT&T Galaxy S5 rooted. Should work on Verizon.

Thanks to Pinkie Pie for the vuln, ricky for methodology help, and Chainfire for the persist.

If you want to listen to me rap, I might be able to help you with that. See link.

soundcloud.com/tomcr00se

I'm turning up the volume really loud without a dialog box.

Go ahead, try to exploit that vuln on the GS5 yourself. It's tons of fun. 4 days to root. Firefox < GS5 < Chromebook

Attachments

• s5_root.jpeg
    s5_root.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 10,670
Last edited:

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing
Yeah those days of hacked lobbies were fun on call of duty :)
I know right. Great memories

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Thanks to Pinkie Pie for the vuln, ricky for methodology help, and Chainfire for the persist.

No release ever. But if you want to listen to me rap, I might be able to help you out. See link.

soundcloud.com/tomcr00se

Go ahead, try to exploit that vuln on the GS5 yourself. It's tons of fun. 4 days to root.​

God hacker;) I bow to thee. Atleast we know it can be done

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

ks3rv3rg

Apr 29, 2012

No release ever. But if you want to listen to me rap, I might be able to help you out. See link.

soundcloud.com/tomcr00se

Go ahead, try to exploit that vuln on the GS5 yourself. It's tons of fun. 4 days to root.​

No release? I'm down to listen to you rap, how would you help out?

Klown80

Aug 22, 2011
Everywhere

soundcloud.com/tomcr00se

Lol, nice flows @geohot!

Reactions: rawhide85

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you want to listen to me rap, I might be able to help you with that. See link.

soundcloud.com/tomcr00se

I'm turning up the volume really loud without a dialog box.

Go ahead, try to exploit that vuln on the GS5 yourself. It's tons of fun. 4 days to root. Firefox < GS5 < Chromebook
    Geohot's root is certainly real. What's funny is that some of you (maybe him included) think this is actually the first working root for this device - I assure you it isn't. The people who have these roots though (before you ask - not me) sit on them for good (to them) reasons.

While it's certainly cool that Geohot did it, publicly stating he did so and then refusing to release anything is a bit weird. Of course this is XDA, and we know drama, but still. I have heard (some of) his reasons and certainly he can do whatever he wants, but maybe he should have kept it to himself then. So he stated which CVE to use - as if that is news to the people with the skills to actually exploit these vulnerabilities.

I know you're all suddenly very excited, but in reality, nothing has changed. Vulnerabilities were known to exist and be exploitable on the current firmwares before, and they still are now. There wasn't a public implementation available before, and there still isn't one now. The only difference is this thread full of nonsense.
    Thread is open. No more trolling. Such instances will be met with infractions.
    What people should be focusing on is how difficult getting root exploits on consumer devices has become and how it now requires collaboration. Pinkie Pie discovered the exploit. JCase was able to take that and make a working exploit for the Moto X and Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini. GeoHot has demonstrated that the exploit can be done on the S5. Whether he chooses to release it or not, or how good he is, is irrelevant. It can be done. That's the important part. I believe I saw a thread where the Sony devices are using this exploit, now, as well (maybe I misunderstood and it's using a different one, I'm not 100% sure). The point is there are a lot of people that work on these things. They're all very smart, and few of them are doing it solo. (I'm not saying no one is doing it solo....that statement wasn't meant to offend anyone who has mad skills). What I'm saying is that achieving root now is becoming a complex endeavor that requires that the community come together to find working solutions rather than the divisive attitudes I see prevalent in this thread. This post isn't meant to offend or accuse. It's meant to bring everyone together towards a common goal of achieving root. Please don't forget the end goal here. Thanks for listening and I apologize if this is off topic. I felt it was needed to give perspective on what's being attempted.
    Thread cleaned-ish

Infractions and thread closures for future insults.