[Q] Enable Chromecast Android Mirroring on Moto X

Search This thread

atomb

Apr 16, 2010
Denver
Is it possible it's in the 4.4.4. Code?

I think it's supposed to already work with devices that are still on 4.4.2. It seems more to do with the new version of the chromecast app itself (version 1.7). I just don't know how to trick it into thinking the moto x is a supported device. Maybe just a build prop tweak would be enough?

Last edited:

Spacemonkie4207

Jan 30, 2012
Cambridge
Google Pixel 4 XL
I think it's supposed to already work with devices that are still on 4.4.2. It seems more to do with the new version of the chromecast app itself (version 1.7). I just don't know how to trick it into thinking the moto x is a supported device. Maybe just a build prop tweak would be enough?
I'm sure they will add support. Probably just started on Devices that are in high demand.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
http://liliputing.com/2014/07/google-brings-chromecast-screen-mirroring-android.html
I would love to be able to wirelessly mirror my Rooted but locked Moto X on 4.4.3 to the chromecast. It seems like it's working on devices about as fast as the moto x so I would imagine they just have it disabled for devices not officially supported. Would there be a way through Xposed or some other method to enable this feature? THANKS!

Guys, see here: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/chromecast-mirroring-moto-x-t2810937

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
As this topic is on Screen Mirroring, can anyone successfully connect a rooted X to a smart TV? I have been trying to connect it with my W6 series Bravia for past half an hour and could not be able to. It just says connecting but never connects! I am not talking about the Chromecast feature here, but the built in Miracast of X which can be found under Display.

S4 had the same problem when I rooted it, wouldn't connect, but with stock kernel S4 did connect fine. Anyone?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
As this topic is on Screen Mirroring, can anyone successfully connect a rooted X to a smart TV? I have been trying to connect it with my W6 series Bravia for past half an hour and could not be able to. It just says connecting but never connects! I am not talking about the Chromecast feature here, but the built in Miracast of X which can be found under Display.

S4 had the same problem when I rooted it, wouldn't connect, but with stock kernel S4 did connect fine. Anyone?

My rooted X works perfectly with my Netgear Push2TV (this is branded to use "WiDi", which according to wikipedia is 100% compatible with "Miracast"). It comes in very handy for presentations.

I always have multiple people asking me "How did you do that with your phone?!?!" after the presentations :)

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
My rooted X works perfectly with my Netgear Push2TV (this is branded to use "WiDi", which according to wikipedia is 100% compatible with "Miracast"). It comes in very handy for presentations.

I always have multiple people asking me "How did you do that with your phone?!?!" after the presentations :)
Great. My router is Netgear too! So why isn't it working with mine? Do you have Xposed installed? Also what kernel do you use?

I guess I have made Screen Mirroring my enemy in past life.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Great. My router is Netgear too! So why isn't it working with mine? Do you have Xposed installed? Also what kernel do you use?

I guess I have made Screen Mirroring my enemy in past life.

My router is not netgear...I don't have a smart TV, so I'm using a "Netgear Push2TV" device which just plugs into the HDMI port of any TV and is made specifically for WiDi / Miracast (you can google it if interested - it's actually been out for several years now).

Yes, I'm using Xposed. I'm rooted with several root apps, but using the Stock ROM / kernel.

When I first connect my phone to the "Push2TV", the Push2TV displays a 4 (or 6?) digit code on the screen and asks me to enter it on my device. The phone pops up a number pad and I enter the code. A few seconds later, screen mirroring is ON.

I also want to add that though I've seen some reports of the "Chromecast" method resulting in choppy video and/or no sound, the built-in mirroring has worked flawlessly for me. Sometimes I use the "Xfinity TV-Go" app to stream television episodes to the TV. You can't tell that it's not being played directly from the TV. Picture and sound have both been excellent.

Last edited:

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
My router is not netgear...I don't have a smart TV, so I'm using a "Netgear Push2TV" device which just plugs into the HDMI port of any TV and is made specifically for WiDi / Miracast (you can google it if interested - it's actually been out for several years now).

Yes, I'm using Xposed. I'm rooted with several root apps, but using the Stock ROM / kernel.

When I first connect my phone to the "Push2TV", the Push2TV displays a 4 (or 6?) digit code on the screen and asks me to enter it on my device. The phone pops up a number pad and I enter the code. A few seconds later, screen mirroring is ON.

I also want to add that though I've seen some reports of the "Chromecast" method resulting in choppy video and/or no sound, the built-in mirroring has worked flawlessly for me. Sometimes I use the "Xfinity TV-Go" app to stream television episodes to the TV. You can't tell that it's not being played directly from the TV. Picture and sound have both been excellent.

Oh I get it, it's a device like Chromecast or sort. I guess it's the kernel, I am on Faux's. Let me see if it works with stock kernel. Do you happen to have a zip of stock kernel?

I get that four digit code thingy, I did that when I had the S4 and it used to connect successfully.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Oh I get it, it's a device like Chromecast or sort. I guess it's the kernel, I am on Faux's. Let me see if it works with stock kernel. Do you happen to have a zip of stock kernel?

I get that four digit code thingy, I did that when I had the S4 and it used to connect successfully.

Hmm, I've never used a custom Kernel, but boot.img contains the Kernel. I bet that is your issue. You should be able to download the SBF for your carrier, extract "Boot.img", and fastboot flash it.

I suggest making a backup first, just in case something goes awry.

Let us know if that does the trick.

Reactions: devilsdouble

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
Hmm, I've never used a custom Kernel, but boot.img contains the Kernel. I bet that is your issue. You should be able to download the SBF for your carrier, extract "Boot.img", and fastboot flash it.

Lol, thanks mate. I did extract the boot.img some days back from the ROM and I flashed it via Fastboot, everything went fine and I even got the stock kernel back, but WiFi would not turn on, and without WiFi I can't do this test. I guess something is missing from the boot.img file, something else needs to be flashed as well, just don't know what.

I am giving up. I will format the phone when 4.4.4 will be released and that time I will check if Screen Mirroring works or not, it should, just for the peace of mind, then I will have to flash custom kernel and then it will stop working again.

thesourgin

Jul 14, 2011
I've got a Verizon DE, 4.4.2 rooted, running Faux 007m. I can use wireless display (screen mirroring) through my Netgear PTV2000 or my miracast enabled Samsung TV without issue.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.