[Review] *Update 28DEC12* Extremely Thin Smart Cover like Apple "aka Ebay case"

Search This thread

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
I still have not decided if I should wait for my case to completely crack or get another one. It is still trucking along for now.

sent from my perfect 32GB Nexus 7

Two things. I see the price has gone up a bit done your post, then again what hasn't? The date of your initial review was August, so you got your first crack after 4 months? That's week daily use, i.e. off on weekends?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Shahpur.Azizpour

Mar 13, 2008
That's the reason why I opted for the official case after my last smart cover cracked on its own without having been dropped at all.

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
Two things. I see the price has gone up a bit done your post, then again what hasn't? The date of your initial review was August, so you got your first crack after 4 months? That's week daily use, i.e. off on weekends?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

I used mine daily. Most weekends it was left in. I rarely used my poetic case. I would like to point out that my case went through hell and back in my pocket. I would like to speculate that I caused the cracks but based on everyone else getting cracks to I do not think that is the case.

afrojoc

Feb 18, 2011
Moore, OK
Mine only cracked once since I've had it. I use it daily and the crack hasn't gotten any bigger since it first happened. It's my driver, and I see no reason to get a new one.

Nexus72012

Sep 21, 2012
Ebay case

Hello, there is also another standard "Ebay case" its like leather (not plastic or tpu)but only has 1 magnet in it and uses a little stick out thing to make a stand. it always falls over and it actually damaged a tiny tiny piece of my nexus 7 about 5mm in the corner of my tablet.
i actually managed to get hold of a grey travel cover by asus for £20 as most ebay cases suck. the only thing GOOD about the £10 ebay case was the stylus and screen protector. but i failed to get the screen protector on, and it went in the bin.

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
Re: [Review] *Update 28DEC12* Extremely Thin Smart Cover like Apple "aka Ebay case"

Just an update my case ( with a small crack ) is still trucking along just fine. I am still using it daily.

twe69

Dec 24, 2008
Mine has cracked now too, lol!
Its weird as it is not near any of the connector cutouts but it is on the corner.
Have superglued it for the time being.

Might order a branded one that I like the look of, seems similar in thinness.

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
Re: [Review] *Update 28DEC12* Extremely Thin Smart Cover like Apple "aka Ebay case"

I am currently using the light gray Asus nexus case from amazon. I really like the material. My eBay case is cracked but still use able. So far this nexus case has been my every day for over a month.

kl323

May 8, 2011
Does the ASUS case attract dust? It looks rubbery to me. I'm considering it, but I really like the ebay case! The extra magnetic flap to keep the front flap shut is great.

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21

Does the ASUS case attract dust? It looks rubbery to me. I'm considering it, but I really like the ebay case! The extra magnetic flap to keep the front flap shut is great.

I bought the light grey (looks cream colored) and it does NOT attract dust or dirt. It actually feels like the back of the device. Not really rubbery but rather solid. My friend held my nexus in the original case and now he bought one too. I too wish it had a stand feature and magnetic however I can live without them for the added protection and solid design.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Shahpur.Azizpour

Mar 13, 2008
AW: [Review] *Update 28DEC12* Extremely Thin Smart Cover like Apple "aka Ebay case"

No, doesnt collect dust. I tried several cases an always ended up with the Asus travel case. Its just the best feeling and slimmest fit case.

Also it doesn't collect dust or anything like that easily. Still looks new and feels great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Review] *Update 28DEC12* Extremely Thin Smart Cover like Apple "aka Ebay case"

** Updated GPS issue at the bottom**

This is going to be a quick review of the "Google Nexus 7 Slim Magnetic PU Leather Smart Cover Case Stand w/ Stylus- Black" Case from Ebay. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Nexu...ccessories&hash=item2320f701ac#ht_2989wt_1271. I bought this case from ebay last week for $11.95 with free 3 day shipping. The shipping was extremely fast and it arrived in 2 days.

I have received a few PM's asking about the quality of the case so this review will address a few of the questions from others. If you would like any more information please ask below and I will answer them as quickly as I can.

Build Quality: The snap on backing is hard plastic with no internal padding. In every day use your hand does not come in contact with this hard material because of the wrapped cover. I would compare it in feel to the silver bezel surrounding the Nexus 7 screen. The flap is a type of plastic (NOT PU LEATHER) on the outside with a softer felt on the inside. It reminds me of a picnic table cover you would use in the summer with the waterproof plastic top and thin soft touch backing. The flap is held onto the casing with clear glue and you do not see unless you pry is back and start looking for it. While it does not feel overly expensive in the hand it does not feel cheap either. It does not compare to my wife's apple smart cover which was $50, but at a little over $10 I do not expect it to.

Folding: The case folded in the closed position makes the device exactly as thick as my tpu case. (A good way to tell it has limited protection capability.) Additionally the only part of the case still exposed after the backing is snapped on is the silver bezel, a known weak part on the Nexus. The flap covers it up... but that will only help to keep the bezel from getting scratched. When folded closed the volume and on/off screen are covered. This is not an issue because of the "smart cover" feature. I also want to note that when the case is folded and you are using it to watch movies it is extremely stable. you can push on it and it will not fall over.

The cover has 2 sets of weak magnets. One set is used for the smart cover (yes it works) and the other is on the edge that holds it closed. When you roll the cover up to make a stand the magnet meet much like an apple smart cover to keep it from unfolding. When the cover is folded back on itself it does not shut off the screen as seen on the initial moko/blurex cases.

Improvements: The one note I have for the magnets is that they are weak. I am sure this was to ensure that the cover does not turn off the device when folded back. The problem is that until my case gets broken in.... The magnets have a hard time keeping the case in the folded position as a stand. It stays closed very well when pressure is on the case or after you push down on the creases. I posted a pic of it working. Where it is weak is after you open the case and fold the cover into the triangle... just prior to setting it down it will sometimes unfold itself unless I hold it. It has been improving over the last 2 days as the plastic gets more broken in.

Would I recommend? The answer is based on price. At around $10 it is a great case. Very thin and works well as advertised. I keep my flight publications on it and keep it in my pocket 24/7 and for this application it works great. I am glad I got it. As the price starts to climb around $15+ I do not think the quality justifies that kind of money. Reading other forums it looks like the Poetic Portfolio has started shipping and it looks like a good option for $20. At $11.95 I am glad I bought this one. I use this case as my daily however I still think I will get nicer one in a few months. I have a Moko slim leather case, moko tpu case and this one and out of all of them I like this the best for traveling.

** Update **
    I use my Nexus 7 for aviation maps when I fly. I have a bluetooth GPS I normally use as well as an s-style tpu case that I put it in. A few days ago I unexpectedly went flying and could not change cases or get my GPS. My Nexus was having a fit trying to get satellites. It would find them only if it had direct exposure to the sky. As I am sure you know this is not a normal characteristic, normally in my tpu case it is spot on. I did not think to much of it (I was preoccupied).

Two days later I received a PM from Amt0571 asking if I ever noticed the case interferes with the use of Google Sky. I installed the application and Amt0571was spot on. I am making a loose correlation that the case was also weakening my GPS signal. Not failing it but under harder condition like tracking am aircraft at 170 MPH inside a metal fuselage it weakens it just enough for it to get lost. Thanks Amt0571 for bringing that to everyone's attention.

The case still works great, just keep this in mind for specific applications. I would still trust it for driving.

**Update 28DEC12**
    I am sorry to say that I woke up today to a stress crack on my case. I know many of out have posted this throughout the thread however up until today this case has been perfect. I have used this case as my daily since I bought it. I removed the case on the weekends. I have not decided if I am going to buy a new one. I do LOVE this case I just want to check out my other options. I will post what case I decide to go with.

Hope this helps. I will post pics in a few from my phone.

42575abc-9152-1e7a.jpg
    42575abc-916f-e552.jpg
    47ce6a7b-922e-86f1.jpg
    47ce6a7b-9253-233f.jpg
    47ce6a7b-926d-885b.jpg
    47ce6a7b-9278-7ef3.jpg
    47ce6a7b-9334-3748.jpg
    465ee28b-18a6-a21d.jpg
    465ee28b-18b9-916f.jpg
    465ee28b-18cd-52e8.jpg
    please note the location of the magnets behind the screen sensor. Even in this position with TWO sets of magnets behind the sensor the screen does not turn itself off!
    465ee28b-18d8-c046.jpg
    Could you post a pic where the case is folded all the way back?

Thanks in advance :)

As requested. It does not bother me. Normally I make 2 folds to keep the cover under the case. Sorry for the low quality pics and bad lighting. I am traveling for work and am in a hotel.

**update** I wanted to make note that as I continue to use this case the folds continue to get tighter and the case will lie more flat against the backing when folded. That is a good thing, not that it was ever thick it just makes it more comfortable to hold.

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app
    Hi all, I've had this case for a couple of weeks, use it a lot and there have been no cracks or build quality issues yet. I suppose it could be a little sturdier when folded back but I still like it a lot.

Question though: Skype calls get auto-rejected when the case is closed (the person contacting me sees "no answer") - all I hear is a single ring, and then I assume because the case is closed Skype will close out the call.

Any ideas on how to remedy this behaviour? Ideally it will keep ringing even though the cover is still closed?

Thanks a mill

I will troubleshoot with this tomorrow.

Okay so I've had mine for about a day now and I can proudly say that I'm very happy with it and glad that I waited out for a couple of weeks for it to become available.

Works very well and I love the minimalistic design. Looks great in gray too.. Thinking of grabbing another one in blue or purple to interchange the colours. Couple of pics below..

uploadfromtaptalk1345619137656.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345618986004.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345619070379.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345619027063.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345619042639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345619083282.jpg

For just under $15, this case is a real bargain. Much prefer this style over the leather folio cases that are out in the market at the moment.
    anyone know roughly how long it takes the case to arrive from china? i couldnt order the US case so went for the chinese supplier but they are saynig could take up to 20 days.. dont want to be rocking my 7 without a case for that long...

While I'm waiting for my case I've stuck mine in a bubble wrap bag.