[Q] T-Mobile and HTC One (M8) carrier vs. GPE mobile network performance

Search This thread

dave.michael

Jan 24, 2010
New York
I'm not sure if it's coincidence but when I first replaced my Nexus 5 with the M8 last week, the LTE speeds on my M8 were much slower; I'm talking borderline 2G/3G when 4G is indicated. This wasn't the case everywhere but around the areas I usually use my device, I noticed the M8 was generally considerably slower than my Nexus 5.

Then I got S-Off and flashed the GPE RUU, changed the CID and technically have a fully functioning GPE. My speed tests since have been better than my Nexus 5. Highest I've seen on that was maybe 25Mbps down, 20Mbps up. On the GPE M8 on T-Mobile, I've often seen 50Mbps, 20Mbps up.

Has T-Mobile possibly improved service in the NYC area the past few days or is it a combination of different hardware/software? Perhaps the radio?

TriBeard

Feb 14, 2012
I'm not sure if it's coincidence but when I first replaced my Nexus 5 with the M8 last week, the LTE speeds on my M8 were much slower; I'm talking borderline 2G/3G when 4G is indicated. This wasn't the case everywhere but around the areas I usually use my device, I noticed the M8 was generally considerably slower than my Nexus 5.

Then I got S-Off and flashed the GPE RUU, changed the CID and technically have a fully functioning GPE. My speed tests since have been better than my Nexus 5. Highest I've seen on that was maybe 25Mbps down, 20Mbps up. On the GPE M8 on T-Mobile, I've often seen 50Mbps, 20Mbps up.

Has T-Mobile possibly improved service in the NYC area the past few days or is it a combination of different hardware/software? Perhaps the radio?

I'd be guessing, but I would think that it's either just an early radio for the sense version isn't performing up to par for some reason in your area, or they have been working on the network and have improved things, and in the process made them worse for a little while (why you saw a drop from your nexus to the m8).