Unlockable Bootloader. Recovery Questions.

Search This thread

ZPaul2Fresh8

Mar 23, 2012
Millbury, OH
I know I have a bootloader that's unlockable but I'm reading some strange stuff about recoveries on this phone.

Is there a reoccurring recovery installation needed after installing a ROM every time? Does that only apply to locked bootloaders?

I was trying to install TWRP since I favor that one over CWM but when trying to install it from their Google Play App it says the image is missing and redirects me to another link which pretty much stays at the 0% progress...

On previous phones I've had things seemed a bit easier (Note3, GS4, Note) or maybe I'm just to cautious since the phone is so new... Anyway I'd appreciate any help on the matters.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
Ok so with xperias they do not have a native partition for the recovery

This means that they have to be stored within a custom kernel (if your bootloader is unlockable) or your system if your bootloader isnt unlockable

Recovery installer scripts that work on locked bootloaders usualy put the recovery file within your system hence why when flashing a custom rom it disapears

Flashing a custom kernel (with a unlocked bootloader) alows you to freely flash custom roms as the recovery is a part of the kernel and not the system

Reactions: ZPaul2Fresh8

ZPaul2Fresh8

Mar 23, 2012
Millbury, OH
Ah so if I unlock my bootloader and if I keep the same modified kernel then I'll be OK. But I don't know too many ROMs that are going to come without a kernel...

Probably could edit the install script to skip kernel writes...?

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
Ah so if I unlock my bootloader and if I keep the same modified kernel then I'll be OK. But I don't know too many ROMs that are going to come without a kernel...

Probably could edit the install script to skip kernel writes...?

If you unlock your bootloader
Install a kernel that contains a recovery
Then yes your recovery stays after a rom flash

Stock based roms should not come with a kernel
Non stock based roms have to come with a kernel (usualy contain recovery anyway)

Your warrenty is void unlocking your bootloader however you can relock

I recomend you read up about bootloader unlocking

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so with xperias they do not have a native partition for the recovery

This means that they have to be stored within a custom kernel (if your bootloader is unlockable) or your system if your bootloader isnt unlockable

Recovery installer scripts that work on locked bootloaders usualy put the recovery file within your system hence why when flashing a custom rom it disapears

Flashing a custom kernel (with a unlocked bootloader) alows you to freely flash custom roms as the recovery is a part of the kernel and not the system