[Script] Data2ext for HeroC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I would be interested to know how this would react to mounting the SD card to your computer via USB while the phone is running. If something were being read/written might it not add to the possible headaches/nightmare scenarios?
At any rate, goodluck with the finals.

When mounting the sdcard it mounts /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 which is the fat32 partition. Data2ext uses the first ext partition on the sdcard, usually /dev/block/mmcblk0p2. That part would not create any problems. Even when mounting on linux it would mount all other partitions as read only and only mount fat32 as RW

Reactions: cordell12

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
When mounting the sdcard it mounts /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 which is the fat32 partition. Data2ext uses the first ext partition on the sdcard, usually /dev/block/mmcblk0p2. That part would not create any problems. Even when mounting on linux it would mount all other partitions as read only and only mount fat32 as RW

This is good to hear as that could have been a major issue!

New HD in laptop and dual boot to WinXP and Ubuntu ;) I got my first taste of the script I had uploaded, It is a bit different than I thought it would be. I thought it to be a little more user friendly, I mean more black and white (the code). I plan to isolate the changes in the modified Dark Tremor and try to work with the moving of data only, not the apps. Firerat says this will not interfere with his mod so the apps can stay on internal, OR does that defeat the purpose of having data on EXT? Will the apps preform better from SD once this mod is in effect?

Thanks

zenulator

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 12, 2009
Been doing it for a long time on my htc vogue. The only thing new would be ext4.

On a side note the nexus s is shipping with ext4 for system and data. Using some newer emmc style memory chips instead of raw nand.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Great News..

If you navigate to the original thread > data2ext
and download the attachment with V 0.4d and flash it it should work atleast on CM6. I have not verified that it works on any other ROM, nor have I run any test.

You will have to partition your sdcard first with at least a fat32 partition and an ext partition. You can also do a swap partition if you like. Backup everything from your sdcard to you computer and either through CW or AmonRA recovery partition your sdcard. I used ext3 as most ROMS support this. Then flash the zip and reboot. There are other ways to format the sdcard without losing any fat32 content, but requires more code than I can put up right now.

Again, all I did was flash and veriied that it changed /data to mount from the sdcard, created its symlinks and installed something from market.

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Awesome!! I tried it and it did take quadrant up to 503, but the quadrant app seems to freeze, weird. My sd is fat32 and ext2 I believe, I will try to repartition it to ext3 and a larger space. If I recall correctly they were saying the ext size should be at least 1 gig and no more than 2 gigs. I beat Nexus One!!! (not Nexus One 2.2 lol) How can it have results so high when the app freezes? Anyway back to SD, when I tried to partition before I would use a windows based program and it would not mount to phone after. Gonna try the partition utility in Ubuntu...

brokentoaster24

May 9, 2010
Kansas
Awesome!! I tried it and it did take quadrant up to 503, but the quadrant app seems to freeze, weird. My sd is fat32 and ext2 I believe, I will try to repartition it to ext3 and a larger space. If I recall correctly they were saying the ext size should be at least 1 gig and no more than 2 gigs. I beat Nexus One!!! (not Nexus One 2.2 lol) How can it have results so high when the app freezes? Anyway back to SD, when I tried to partition before I would use a windows based program and it would not mount to phone after. Gonna try the partition utility in Ubuntu...

Just use ra 1.7 recovery and you can partition in recovery

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
you might try the life on the edge zip which is flashed after the original one. You might also try different formats (ext2, ext3, ext4). I haven't noticed any difference with ext3 and V0.4 flashed.

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
I didnt really notice a speed increase either. I just partitioned a 2 gig ext3 to check that out. Had a heck of a time getting back to clockwork, it kept trying to flash a newer version 3.002 or something. That version dont seem to work with the phone. The only thing I did notice earlier was the increase of quadrant score up to 503. I am pretty sure speed wise the hero is maxed out, this mod will increase write/read times. Most will not notice as most do not use that function often, well wait a sec, nandroids are read/write. So who knows, maybe stuff like that will increase in speed??? That is if I am understanding this mod correctly... Will report back with results using a 2 gig ext3 partition.

EDIT.....Got 504 this time. Something must need to be tweeked as the GSM Hero is pulling 700's. With that score we should see some sort of speed increase somewhere! And for some weird reason quadrant standard hangs on I/0 test 2/4 for a HELLA long time, but still produces a 50 point score increase, odd.

EDIT>>> Ran test again and got a 568 :)

Last edited:

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I didnt really notice a speed increase either. I just partitioned a 2 gig ext3 to check that out. Had a heck of a time getting back to clockwork, it kept trying to flash a newer version 3.002 or something. That version dont seem to work with the phone. The only thing I did notice earlier was the increase of quadrant score up to 503. I am pretty sure speed wise the hero is maxed out, this mod will increase write/read times. Most will not notice as most do not use that function often, well wait a sec, nandroids are read/write. So who knows, maybe stuff like that will increase in speed??? That is if I am understanding this mod correctly... Will report back with results using a 2 gig ext3 partition.

After looking at the original thread, here are his instructions

Installation

1.) Full wipe (at least needed on first installation)
2.) Flash the app2sd Version of the ROM of your choice
3.) DONT REBOOT
4.) If you rebooted then start over at 1.)
5.) flash the attached "data2whatever.zip"
6.) now reboot

We might have to flash darktremor a2sd or use a rom that has a2sd built in. I'm going to test on a ROM with a2sd enabled and delete my ext and swap partition and repartition them.

Nandroid won't be affected as this modifies the actual Android ROM and not the recovery. I have looked at the code briefly and it uses noop scheduling which my phone was already using. Info on noop can be found here > http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/google-noop-project-features-jvm-based-language-198

Last edited:

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Reading the log I am getting a error "e2fsck_output /dev/block/mmcblkop2 is mounted" :confused:

That was flashing this over existing set up, also with firerats. Though firerat looked these scripts over and says his script will not conflict with them...

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Reading the log I am getting a error "e2fsck_output /dev/block/mmcblkop2 is mounted" :confused:

That was flashing this over existing set up, also with firerats. Though firerat looked these scripts over and says his script will not conflict with them...

The instructions say to do a full wipe, but that would only be one of the problems

The script probably didn't delete one or more of the a2sd scripts from your rom. A more thorough look at the script needs to be done. I have been testing on NFX sprint stock, which has been giving me problems my dualboot script problems. Somethings need to be removed and some changes need to be made to the script.

The last time I flashed this I did not have access to the mobile network. I could only make and receive calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so any progress on this?
    Gsm hero guys have this working In a custom rom and are pulling quadrant scores around 700

Oops didn't mean to thank you... lol, I wonder how Aospmod would run with this mod!!

I'll take the thanks :p aosp told me he's working on it

correct me if i'm wrong, but we need a kernel that supports ext4, not the recovery. darch's recovery offers the option for ext4 but is useless unless the kernel actually supports it.

Yeah, the rom kernel needs the support. Without looking at the zip I'm not sure what all it does in recovery.

Decadence, I have script to partition the sdcard without deleting everything. Makes it much easier for those less tech savvy. It can either use a user defined ext4 partition size or a preset one.

Read through this whole thing several times and to me I couldn’t find exactly what I needed to do to get Data2Ext (I want Ext4).
    I'm on CM7 RC4 HeroC with a 4GB Class 4 SD Card, s0bes .35 Ap5 Kernel.

What to I need to download and flash? Do I need to format the SD card or will the script do it itself? Should I backup SD Card? I need to wipe data and dalvic right?

Links would be greatly appreciated :)

If you want ext4 go to the aosp thread and click the read me. Its instructions on there for data2ext ext4. Should be all you need. And it should work on CM7 RC4 not 100% but it should. Might want to go with ex2. IMO.

Yea its Me Again With The
    Modified Hero