Wiping from MOBILE ODIN PRO is safe. Need confirmation.

Search This thread

porcusor

Mar 29, 2010
Bucharest
Well sorry If i misunderstood you mr smarty pants. Weird that it will load a gb kernel, flash and then load lpy afterwards. I mean why would it have to do that? What's the logic? Enlighten me techwhiz :eek:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Better ask Chainfire directly, from what i hear he's a very smart dude :p. It's a feature he implemented (I guess for safety reasons) and now it comes in handy with this hard brick bug going on. From my point of view I don't have any clear confirmation that this is all true, I only know of chasmodo's confirmation some posts back, and the presence of that kernel file under /sdcard which is also on my device.

BTW, I also flashed ICS from GB with MOP with both wipe data and cache ticked and had no problems. I even did a wipe from the device's stock options because some FC's. I guess I was lucky this time. Anyway I reverted to GB later due to battery drain problems.

Cheers

greigster

Jan 27, 2010
Most Easterly Point of England
Well sorry If i misunderstood you mr smarty pants. Weird that it will load a gb kernel, flash and then load lpy afterwards. I mean why would it have to do that? What's the logic? Enlighten me techwhiz :eek:

Is that the normal way for you to talk to those trying to help you. You are obviously not that smart otherwise he would not have needed to dumb down his explanation to you.

If you act like a spoilt brat, expect to be treated like one. Now get your home work done and get to bed before I tell your mum.:rolleyes:

friedje

Oct 29, 2006
Chartres

Just being independent from whatever kernel you are running.....
and therefore being sure it will do what it was intended for......

Maybe you didn't like my tone, but you are being stubborn for days with several
ppl just answering the question you posted yourself, and just not listen.

So instead of calling other ppl smartasses, go get a mirror :)

indiandroid

Jan 1, 2012
New Delhi
Why is the case that 'Mobile Odin' is deemed safe , whereas 'CWM recovery and App' are deemed unsafe and brickable while flashing ICS , although they come from the same great 'MAN' 'Chainfire" :)

One reason may be that CWM recovery uses the kernel which the User has flashed , while MO uses Stock GB as Chainfire said.

Hence the conclusion is that the E_mmc bug is related to compilation of kernel and its chain of commands. Meaning they have to be compiled in a certain manner , like arrangement of 'Pinballs' :D

anonymous572

Jun 15, 2011
Mstislavl
Did full wipe on LP1 3 or 4 times with CWM and 3 times with MobileOdin. At LP5 2 times CWM and 1 time MobileOdin. LPY - 5 times with CWM and 2 times with MobileOdin. LPF 1 time with CWM and 1 time MobileOdin.
Never got any problems. Many people here got bricks only because they are not carefully follow flashing instructions!

friedje

Oct 29, 2006
Chartres
Did full wipe on LP1 3 or 4 times with CWM and 3 times with MobileOdin. At LP5 2 times CWM and 1 time MobileOdin. LPY - 5 times with CWM and 2 times with MobileOdin. LPF 1 time with CWM and 1 time MobileOdin.
Never got any problems. Many people here got bricks only because they are not carefully follow flashing instructions!

Sure........Don't come crying afterwards then

Dan_Aykroyd

Feb 10, 2010
Oh Yeah!

Here is another confirmation, since I asked him the very same question before finding this thread:

Originally Posted by Dan_Aykroyd
@Chainfire:

Thanks for your great work and continuous support to the (Samsung) community! I just got a Note and I'm rooting it and going to buy this app as a token of gratitude towards you (I just did! Order Number: XXXXXXXXXXX13514 ). I previously came from a Galaxy S and I've used countless solutions from you so far.

Just a couple of questions that came to mind and didn't find here:

1) Is it safe to use the "Wipe data" function when flashing new ROM, in devices such as SII and mostly Note with the 0x19 eMMC bug?

2) When using the EverRoot in new ICS stock leaks, aren't you be adding an "old" (the currently present) SuperSU / BusyBox (and also if injecting CWM) to the new firmware? Wouldn't it be better to go and download your newly, custom made CF-Root for that new leak, in order to have the last available version for those apps?

Thanks, I hope to have some clarifications on this from you or if someone else knows, since you must be a really busy guy!
(1) Mobile ODIN's wipe data function should be safe from the brick bug. It doesn't use a format command, it just recursively deletes files (which as far as I know is safe)

(2) EverRoot only injects SuperSU, no busybox or CWM. I update the included SuperSU to the latest version with every Mobile ODIN update, so it's usually pretty up to date. Flashing the latest CF-Root for a particular firmware/device may have a slightly newer, or sometimes slightly older SuperSU included. It doesn't really matter, as you can update SuperSU from Market/Play as soon as you're rooted If you wan't CWM and BB and all that, use a CF-Root (which isn't available for most devices that Mobile ODIN supports).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys. Flashing Official Andoird 4.0.3 on Note and WIPING with Mobile ODIN pro is safe. I flashed 7 Note and wiped (BY MOBILE ODIN PRO !!! not in recovery !!!) until now and no bricks so far. Verified and these devices have all the 0x19 rev.

I think it's due to the fact that MOBILE ODIN PRO uses its own kernel : when you launch the operation (from your previous rom, rooted of course) you can see MOP flashing a kernel before rebooting . And if you have checked the "WIPE DATA and CACHE", MOP wipes the device using this kernel, not the old kernel. Neither the new kernel because it is still inside its kernel when doing the wiping.

If you check inside the SDCARD of the Note you can see the file "eu.chainfire.mobileodin.flashkernel.n7000.v2". This file is the same that MOP uses since the GB days. So I guess it's a GB kernel. Perhaps it's a specific kernel made by Chainfire. But i'm sure it has nothing to do with ICS so it's hardbrick bug free. But it's the kernel that MOP uses when flashing and wiping.
    doesn't touch the external SD neither the internal. Only DATA and CACHE are wiped
    No what it means is that MO uses it's own kernel for flashing and wiping independent from what kernel you are actually running or flashing.

I flashed LPY from within MO having a GB previously installed.
    I never did a Wipe, so I suppose to still be ok.

Now I will wait some nice custom roms coming out with safe kernels.
    Shouldn't be for too long now..
    You are wrong. Mobile Odin hot-boot his own kernel from start. So the buggy kernel installed is not used, in fact MO kernel is not even flashed just loaded into ram.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Since this hot-boot kernel is based on an old GB kernek it's safe to wipe from MO.

Here we are talking about WIPING. Flashing using official LpY is not dangerous. Only wiping using theses kernels can brick your device if you belong to the 5-10% unlucky.

People get their Note bricked because they update to official Ics and only after they wipe. If you use Pc Odin it is likely that you need wipe from stock recovery or menu setting if you have some fc's after Ics update. So to not loose time and to be totaly safe the best solution getting officiel Ics is to flash and wipe from MO. Until a safe kernel.