Dev edition, hardware swap q:

Search This thread

Zooandbio4me

Sep 17, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So I did a little searching before posting so don't ream me please ??
1) Does the dev edition s4 also have a locked bootloader? That would be f'in whack.. If it us unlocked and my second q doesn't pan I may try and swoop one up. ..
2) I have a friend with a tmobile s4 that he cracked the digitizer and just reported it lost... If I took his board could I unlock it to big red? If so what would be the consequences?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
So I did a little searching before posting so don't ream me please ??
1) Does the dev edition s4 also have a locked bootloader? That would be f'in whack.. If it us unlocked and my second q doesn't pan I may try and swoop one up. ..
2) I have a friend with a tmobile s4 that he cracked the digitizer and just reported it lost... If I took his board could I unlock it to big red? If so what would be the consequences?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Dev Edition S4 normally does not have a locked bootloader. I say normally because some users took an Over The Air update which did lock the bootloader. So it depends on whether the bootloader is a stock MDK bootloader or if the user took a subsequent OTA update which in turn locked / changed the bootloader. Also, there is no factor image for the Dev Edition, so if it is locked it is going to stay locked for the foreseeable future. As for your second question, I'm not sure that will work. I think the firmware differences between TMO and Verizon plus the difference between GSM and CDMA will not be easy to overcome. But I don't know that for sure.

Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I'm not trying to be a know it all trust me lol but the dev s4 never got otas I don't believe. The users who locked then up did so by using Odin and retail firmware.

Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
I'm not trying to be a know it all trust me lol but the dev s4 never got otas I don't believe. The users who locked then up did so by using Odin and retail firmware.

I don't take that as you being a know it all, you're probably right. I just know some Dev owners did something to lock their bootloaders I just assumed (wrongfully) that it was an OTA of some sorts. Sorry for the misinformation.

asharad

Jun 18, 2011
I'm not trying to be a know it all trust me lol but the dev s4 never got otas I don't believe.
I know one user who received his DevEd about the same time as me. He received an OTA that locked his bootloader. I have never received an OTA, and I'm still running stock (more or less) DevEd.

It's funny how I bought the DevEd, because I wanted a guarantee that I could ROM the device. But I fell in love with the stock OS, and don't care if I ever have KitKat.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I know one user who received his DevEd about the same time as me. He received an OTA that locked his bootloader. I have never received an OTA, and I'm still running stock (more or less) DevEd.

It's funny how I bought the DevEd, because I wanted a guarantee that I could ROM the device. But I fell in love with the stock OS, and don't care if I ever have KitKat.

No kidding? I didn't know any of them got OTAs. At least you have the option to flash whatever you want if you did get bored with stock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.