HTC Droid DNA Bootloader Unlock/New Method UPDATED 2/7/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SHANENATAS

Nov 23, 2010
This phone has been one nightmare after the next.

Nightmare? Really? This phone is awesome in every aspect. And even better when rooted yes but not so bad not rooted either. I for one have faith in the community/DEVs here and know they will figure it out soon. Look at all they have figured out so far with the DNA, You really got to thank them for all the hard work they have done so far.

matteebee

Apr 9, 2011
Seattle
As someone who is strongly considering buying this phone when i switch to VZW. I have 2 questions

first, Is this a common occurrence with this phone to have an OTA lock things back down?

secondly, is it worth picking up this phone now that there is uncertainty if the bootloader will ever be unlocked?

i have my choices narrowed down to 3 phones, the dna, s3, and note 2. I would love to be able to unlock and root the my phone and will be a big consideration as to which i get. So im just curious about my above questions.

Thanks

Don't know about the other two devices but your chances of scoring a rootable DNA at this point appear to be very slim right now judging by the comments in this thread alone. It is currently locked down as far as out of store devices. If you can find one used that has had updates disabled and already rooted I would start there. Anyone else that has better knowledge or advice please chime in if I appear misinformed please.

Stay thirsty, my friends

SHANENATAS

Nov 23, 2010
Don't know about the other two devices but your chances of scoring a rootable DNA at this point appear to be very slim right now judging by the comments in this thread alone. It is currently locked down as far as out of store devices. If you can find one used that has had updates disabled and already rooted I would start there. Anyone else that has better knowledge or advice please chime in if I appear misinformed please.

Stay thirsty, my friends

I personally think the S3 is junk compared to the DNA, one the S3 feels weak and janky and need to buy extra stuff for the wireless charge. The DNA is ready to go for wireless charge other than buy the wireless charger. If I remember right the DNA has better specs, I do like Samsung though. Not real sure on the Note2, I've read it's more of a phablet where as the DNA is phone. Not sure of the differences but that's what I've read. As far as the DNA being unlockable again, I'm sure it'll happen. I would ask to see the phone as soon as Verizon turns it on and check the firmware version to see if its 1.15 and not the 2.04. I have never purchased a phone that has been upgraded, usually you do that after you buy it. If you buy the 1.15 you can unlock the bootloader and get the unlock.bin then upgrade and use your unlock.bin and you are set.

I think the DNA is a great phone and have faith that the bootloader will be unlocked once again. It's a "lock that needs picked" and they will figure it out.

Who is the best guy for the job here? What DEV and what can "We" do to motivate you to get-er-dunnn?

I would like to add that every time there is an update for the iPod touch I wait before I get the new firmware and jailbreak it all over again. Everytime Apple says it won't get jailbroken and every time it gets jailbroken.

Last edited:
Reactions: masterkamon842

tucstwo

Oct 6, 2011
Nightmare? Really? This phone is awesome in every aspect. And even better when rooted yes but not so bad not rooted either. I for one have faith in the community/DEVs here and know they will figure it out soon. Look at all they have figured out so far with the DNA, You really got to thank them for all the hard work they have done so far.

What did I say about the devs that would indicate I think they've done substandard job? I just said this phones been a nightmare. Screen cracked, got stolen, got replacement with OTA. It's been a helllish ordeal for me. What does the community or the devs have to do with any of that?

Sent from my unlockable HTC Droid DNA

SHANENATAS

Nov 23, 2010
What did I say about the devs that would indicate I think they've done substandard job? I just said this phones been a nightmare. Screen cracked, got stolen, got replacement with OTA. It's been a helllish ordeal for me. What does the community or the devs have to do with any of that?

I didn't mean you meant the devs. I thought you meant the phone itself not the luck you have had with all that junk you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 2/7 - HTC HAS BLOCKED OUR CURRENT SUPERCID, SO I UPDATED TO A NEW ONE. GET IT AND USE IT WHILE IT STILL WORKS!

THIS ONLY WORKS ON PRE-OTA (E.G. 1.XXXX) VERSION PHONES. IF YOU HAVE ACCEPTED THE OTA OR HAVE A DEVICE WITH VERSION 2.XXX FIRMWARE, THIS METHOD WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU.

edit 2/13 - added source zip

Here you will find a new method to get "SuperCID" to allow bootloader unlock for the HTC Droid DNA. This method WILL prove easier than the original method and SHOULD prove safer.

Usual disclaimer - "I am not responsible if you brick or otherwise destroy your device (insert additional non-funny/non-witty comment here)."

Before we get started, PLEASE take a moment to review the credits:

1.) giantpune @ freenode. Here is a guy I've never met and yet he spent several hours crashing my kernel and coding/recoding, etc. to find exploit addresses. He doesn't own a DNA, has no personal interest in this project, yet spent ~10 hours on this. Then, he writes proper code for the cid patching routine without me even asking. This method would not be possible without him. PLEASE donate to him (paypal) - giantpune@gmail.com

2.) jcase @ andirc. Without his dedication and the original exploit, we could not have executed this new method. We needed a rooted device to get the addresses! PLEASE donate to him (paypal) - http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=2376614

3.) htcjbutterfly @ andirc - aka SharpISO3 @ xda - thank you for the countless hours of letting me teamviewer in and screw around with your phone.

4.) Everyone else at team andirc. Cool group of people there.

5.) Goroh Kun (?).......The 2 exploits used are courtesy of his (?) code, and he (?) was gracious enough to post source. The attached APK is really about ~75% their code. But, since they were non-responsive in requests for porting help, they get the #5 spot here.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8LDObFOpzZqQzducmxjRExXNnM/edit?pli=1

So let's get started.

What you need:

1.) a Droid DNA
    2.) this attached APK

Instructions:

1.) Download apk (attached, cid-2.apk)
    2.) run it (in your app drawer titled HTC DNA SuperCID
    3.) reboot to bootloader and confirm you have SuperCID:
    a.) fastboot oem readcid

If you see 22222222, you are good. Proceed to htcdev to complete the process.

If you see something else (e.g. VZW__001) then reboot normally and try the process again.

Good luck.

If you need support, or care to say thanks, etc. please join us on IRC

andirc.net
    #Droid-DNA

p.s. I'll post source soon. If you choose to reverse this apk, you'll probably notice I write REALLY bad code. I'm well aware of it and couldn't care less, so please don't bother me with code improvement suggestions.
    I almost wonder if it's easier to figure out a way to downgrade rather than trying to exploit the update. But this is also my first HTC and I that may seem like a noob statement too u all, so I apologize if I come off like a dope. It is impossible to downgrade or what? And why?

I suppose I'll share.

The downgrade problem is different than it used to be. The rom.zips are now encrypted before they are signed. HTC decided to change the decryption key in the ota hboot so ota devices are unable to decrypt the rom.zip we've pulled from the pre ota RUU.

I'm really not sure what a viable solution might be at this point. That doesn't mean that some other devs don't have a valid idea or two.

We have SEVERAL working root exploits for ota devices currently. However with wp on system partition and now on the cid partition it's somewhat useless.

This is where we stand.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    The inmates are becoming too restless. Thread closed.
    How r u so sure?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Because I wrote it?
    This is ironic that everybody comes with NEW methods to do job to the OLDER devices ! can't really find any help for the new devices like Samsung Galaxy Music Duos GT-S6012. come on guys do something to end our despeartion specially when there is no separate forum the said NEW devices !

Wait, you are going to come here complaining about someone working on something other than what you have.

You make a fool of yourself, the GT=S6012 is a FACTORY UNLOCKED DEVICE from the looks of it. It doesn't needed to "hacked"