[APP] Nook Touch Mod Manager

Search This thread

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
Nook Touch Mod Manager

This app+patched jars allows you to customize the behavior of your Nook. All customizations are opt-in and can be enabled/disabled through the use of the NTMM app. If you install the patched jars and do not configure them with using the app, your Nook's behavior will not change in any way.

Features:

• Re-map the n button, quicknav buttons (including the glowlight button), and top statusbar buttons to run installed programs or trigger defined actions (toggle glowlight, home, back, etc)
  • Option to disable slide to unlock screensaver (avoid battery drain from constantly looping animation)
  • Option to always show the back and menu buttons on the statusbar.
  • Option to restore the Glowlight state after waking from screensaver.
  • Option to disable or customize the "press the n button to unlock" text on the screensaver (1.2+ only)
  • Option to remap side buttons (1.2+ only)
  • Completely open source, including both the application and the patches to the jars

Requires patched jars.

Patches are available for software revisions 1.1.5, 1.2.0, and 1.2.1 (1.2.0 and 1.2.1 use the same patches). You can upgrade to 1.2.1 using the directions on the B&N support page.

Instructions for building the patched jars are available here: https://github.com/doozan/NookTouchPatches

Download NTMM 0.4.0

Last edited:

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
EDIT: @jeff_kz has fixed this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to try this. I get an error:

C:\nooksmods>java -jar baksmali-1.4.0.jar -o android.policy android.policy.orig.jar

C:\nooksmods>patch -p1 < android.policy.patch
patching file android.policy/com/android/internal/policy/impl/LockScreen.smali
missing header for unified diff at line 20 of patch
can't find file to patch at input line 20
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|8,7 @@
|
| .field private mSelector:Lcom/android/internal/widget/LeftSlidingTab;
|
|+.field private mNotFirstResume:Z
|
| # direct methods
| .method static constructor <clinit>()V
--------------------------
File to patch:

Last edited:

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
I think git is messing with the line-endings. Patch.exe expects them to be Windows \r\n and I think they're getting converted to Unix \n somewhere in the process. You can use a text editor like Notepad2 to open and re-save the patches with Windows line endings.

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis

This is line 14 to 23. I am not sure exactly what line endings to change?

.field private mSelector:Lcom/android/internal/widget/LeftSlidingTab;

+.field private mNotFirstResume:Z

# direct methods
.method static constructor <clinit>()V
@@ -950,6 +951,47 @@
.line 693
.end local v0 #r:Landroid/graphics/Rect;
:cond_17

[\QUOTE]

Last edited:

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis

I like that this can set the quicknav Glowlight button!
The status bar back and menu buttons work at times, but not consistently.
The side buttons work in some apps, but not in the Reader.apk or Library.apk.

Last edited:

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
Excuse me, so I can just update my NST to 1.1.5/1.2.0, and it will work?
Yes, you can update your non-glowtouch nook to 1.1.5 and it will work with this tool. 1.2.0 is not yet supported. The 1.1.5 factory zip is in the "Nook ST Glowlight - ready to root" thread, see my post on the "uk nst vs us nst" thread for directions on flashing new software (sorry, can't post links yet).

Last edited:

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
@jeff_kz, where are you storing the images for the quicknav buttons. Previously I had changed these in the framework-res.apk. with your nooktouchmod it is using other images, is it possible for me to put in my own images?

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
@jeff_kz, where are you storing the images for the quicknav buttons. Previously I had changed these in the
framework-res.apk. with your nooktouchmod it is using other images, is it possible for me to put in my own images?

The action icons (back/home/glow) are loaded from system resources, by resource id. The application icons are read from the application's package. You can customize the icons by pulling settings.db and adjusting the mod.<button>.icon value. An integer value will load a system icon by id, a package name will load the package's icon. Currently, there's no way to read an icon from an external file.

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
Nice work!

LastSilmaril and I were working on a NookTouchTools for Glowlight here, but we hadn't yet finished so thanks for saving us the trouble!

Have you not posted patched jars so as to avoid copyright issues? I can respect that, but I understand that B&N have already made statements that their source is available on request (in the USA at least), so you'd save folks much trouble if you could post patched jars. I'll for sure go the long, 'clean' way around if I have to, but would prefer not to if there's no need!

Thanks again for providing this fundamental Nook tool for the 1.1.5 firmware,

Ian

Last edited:

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis

Is anyone else having problems with the side buttons in the Reader? The sidebuttons work in other apps, just not the Reader.
I previously had NookTouchTools installed, but with this app I uninstalled NTT - so I wasn't sure if that is what caused this problem, or is it possible that it happened with this mod?

Last edited:

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
Is anyone else having problems with the side buttons
This app does not alter or affect the side buttons in any way. The side buttons are just hardware buttons that send a specific hardware key as defined in system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl. I believe NTT had a function that allowed you to change the button definitions within that file. I don't know if NTT re-alters that file when it is uninstalled. For reference, the last four lines of that file should be:

Code:
key 250   LEFT_NEXTPAGE
key 251   LEFT_PREVPAGE
key 252   RIGHT_NEXTPAGE
key 253   RIGHT_PREVPAGE

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
I've just taken a look in that file and it is just as you've quoted it even though I have used NTT to remap a couple of those buttons, so I guess NTT achieves it in some other way.

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
I'll admit I've not yet installed this, but here's one thought; what jar files did you start from when doing the patching for Nook Touch Mod Manager? Were they vanilla 1.1.5 jars or the ones you'd already installed for NookTouchTools?

I used vanilla 1.1.5 jars - the same ones that I made a backup of before installing NTT.

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
EDIT: @jeff_kz has fixed this. NookTouchMods is now working 100% and I no longer have a need for NTT or Button Savior!

Gotcha - okay well today some time I hope to have this installed and will report back on how the side buttons behave for me.

I'd be insterested to know. For now i have gone back to NTT. With NTT I modified the quicknav icons in framework-res.apk.
With nooktouchmods the icons for quicknav are not pretty at all and the font is too large.
With NookTouchMods I like being able to toggle the glowlight instead of having to first pull up the glowlight settings window.
and with nooktouchmods the longpress takes me to android home without glowlight turning on, which is great.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook Touch Mod Manager

This app+patched jars allows you to customize the behavior of your Nook. All customizations are opt-in and can be enabled/disabled through the use of the NTMM app. If you install the patched jars and do not configure them with using the app, your Nook's behavior will not change in any way.

Features:

• Re-map the n button, quicknav buttons (including the glowlight button), and top statusbar buttons to run installed programs or trigger defined actions (toggle glowlight, home, back, etc)
    • Option to disable slide to unlock screensaver (avoid battery drain from constantly looping animation)
    • Option to always show the back and menu buttons on the statusbar.
    • Option to restore the Glowlight state after waking from screensaver.
    • Option to disable or customize the "press the n button to unlock" text on the screensaver (1.2+ only)
    • Option to remap side buttons (1.2+ only)
    • Completely open source, including both the application and the patches to the jars

Requires patched jars.

Patches are available for software revisions 1.1.5, 1.2.0, and 1.2.1 (1.2.0 and 1.2.1 use the same patches). You can upgrade to 1.2.1 using the directions on the B&N support page.

Instructions for building the patched jars are available here: https://github.com/doozan/NookTouchPatches

Download NTMM 0.4.0
    Many thanks to geckoday for adding some new features:

- Remap long and short press of the side buttons
    - New "Now Reading" action to trigger the built-in reading action
    - New "Left Tap" and "Right Tap" actions to simulate tapping the right/left side of the screen for readers that don't support the side buttons
    I think git is messing with the line-endings. Patch.exe expects them to be Windows \r\n and I think they're getting converted to Unix \n somewhere in the process. You can use a text editor like Notepad2 to open and re-save the patches with Windows line endings.
    Open the patch file using notepad2, go to File | Line Endings and choose "Windows (CR+LF)" and save.
    @jeff_kz, where are you storing the images for the quicknav buttons. Previously I had changed these in the
    framework-res.apk. with your nooktouchmod it is using other images, is it possible for me to put in my own images?

The action icons (back/home/glow) are loaded from system resources, by resource id. The application icons are read from the application's package. You can customize the icons by pulling settings.db and adjusting the mod.<button>.icon value. An integer value will load a system icon by id, a package name will load the package's icon. Currently, there's no way to read an icon from an external file.