Stuck in boot loop. Have CWM, other details inside.

Search This thread

glassjoe92

Jun 11, 2014
Well, you'd think I'd have learned after the first two times - don't try to go back to stock. The last few times I was able to figure it out by mere chance, but now I think I may be doomed.

I'm trying to get a ROM, any ROM to load up on my HTC One M7. I've seriously browsed probably every XDA page concerning this kind of stuff, but to no avail can I find a solution. I've also downloaded probably about 10 different ROMs / RUUs to try and flash and now I can't even get as far as the install.

So far, I've gotten AndroidRev 71.1 and ViperOne to get to the final screen before getting a nice little script that says:
"set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed"
This has happened when I tried to sideload these ROMs in CWM.

Now, if I even try to sideload a ROM.zip it gets to appx. 82% and says:
* failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)' *

I've been without a phone for a day and a half now, trying every solution offered. Am I out of luck?

Some info:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.26.502.12
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
\\SN & IMEI\\
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4307mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

My provider is AT&T in the south eastern US. I've tried downloading RUU's and whatnot, but it doesn't work because CWM says it can't find /tmp/data/update.zip or something to that effect.

I'm giving up for the evening though. I would really appreciate any feedback. And yes, I've cleared the data / partitions / caches / Dalvik caches / etc. before doing this stuff and I'm not having any luck.

Does anyone know if HTC will fix this for a cost smaller than purchasing a new phone? If so, does anyone have any idea how much it costs? Honestly, I was trying to get back to stock so I could return it for a refurb since I have the purple tint camera issue.

Last edited:

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Flash twrp 2.6.3.3. Android revolution needs that version

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

And if sideload doesn't work try using adb push

Reactions: glassjoe92

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Well, you'd think I'd have learned after the first two times - don't try to go back to stock. The last few times I was able to figure it out by mere chance, but now I think I may be doomed.

I'm trying to get a ROM, any ROM to load up on my HTC One M7. I've seriously browsed probably every XDA page concerning this kind of stuff, but to no avail can I find a solution. I've also downloaded probably about 10 different ROMs / RUUs to try and flash and now I can't even get as far as the install.

So far, I've gotten AndroidRev 71.1 and ViperOne to get to the final screen before getting a nice little script that says:
"set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed"
This has happened when I tried to sideload these ROMs in CWM.

have you checked the FAQ sticky thread, if it hasn't been updated/moved the info would still be in the last post
(please remember to never post questions in the sticky, if you have more questions post back here)

glassjoe92

Jun 11, 2014

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

I managed to install that version of TWRP and I just sideloaded Android Revolution 71. I didn't get the errors I got in CWM, but it seems to still be stuck at the white splash screen with the HTC logo and red text at bottom. It doesn't progress into booting the OS.

After the supposedly successful install to AR 71, the screen went black. Should I have left it? When I pressed the home button, it vibrated. Maybe I should have given it a few more minutes, but I'm sideloading ViperOne right now. Will, update.

Last edited:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
I managed to install that version of TWRP and I just sideloaded Android Revolution 71. I didn't get the errors I got in CWM, but it seems to still be stuck at the white splash screen with the HTC logo and red text at bottom. It doesn't progress into booting the OS.

After the supposedly successful install to AR 71, the screen went black. Should I have left it? When I pressed the home button, it vibrated. Maybe I should have given it a few more minutes, but I'm sideloading ViperOne right now. Will, update.

1- "After the supposedly successful install to AR 71, the screen went black" that happens sometimes, but shouldn't be a problem... my recent experience was if I wipe cache before starting the installer it doesn't happen.
If it does happen, (before booting the ROM), I reboot to bootloader using POWER + VOLDOWN, go back to recovery and wipe dalvik and cache, and then boot the system.

2- Did you select "Wipe userpartition" during installation? You have to.

3- How long did you wait? as mentioned my first boot (with wipe), took close to 20mins.

Reactions: glassjoe92

glassjoe92

Jun 11, 2014
1- "After the supposedly successful install to AR 71, the screen went black" that happens sometimes, but shouldn't be a problem... my recent experience was if I wipe cache before starting the installer it doesn't happen.
If it does happen, (before booting the ROM), I reboot to bootloader using POWER + VOLDOWN, go back to recovery and wipe dalvik and cache, and then boot the system.

3- How long did you wait? as mentioned my first boot (with wipe), took close to 20mins.

Okay, I decided to re-flash the AR 71 rom again. The screen is now black. Both caches were wiped prior to install, then I did select wipe userpartition during the install. I've waited for about 4 minutes now on this black screen. I'll give it a little bit more time to see if it works. Otherwise, I will restart and wipe the caches again.

From my experience before, when I boot and have to wait, I can at least get past the first splash screen with the HTC Logo and it usually just stalls on the rom's splash. Anyhow, I appreciate the info. This is farther than I've been able to make it and there's a slight shimmer of hope.

I'll post again once I've given it appx. 20 minutes / wiped caches in recovery and rebooted.

Also, just out of curiosity, I wanted to check my phone's MD5 sum, but I don't know how.
The rom's MD5 sum: CCC848CBF2B74C5FA33FD7E2269B0499

Last edited:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Okay, I decided to re-flash the AR 71 rom again. The screen is now black. Both caches were wiped prior to install, then I did select wipe userpartition during the install. I've waited for about 4 minutes now on this black screen. I'll give it a little bit more time to see if it works. Otherwise, I will restart and wipe the caches again.

From my experience before, when I boot and have to wait, I can at least get past the first splash screen with the HTC Logo and it usually just stalls on the rom's splash. Anyhow, I appreciate the info. This is farther than I've been able to make it and there's a slight shimmer of hope.

I'll post again once I've given it appx. 20 minutes / wiped caches in recovery and rebooted.

Also, just out of curiosity, I wanted to check my phone's MD5 sum, but I don't know how.
The rom's MD5 sum: CCC848CBF2B74C5FA33FD7E2269B0499

the black screen after a successful install has been an issue for quite a few, no need to wait, just force a reboot.
Force reboot: press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN (under a bright light, not kidding!!), after about 5 seconds or so buttons should start blinking, and after 30 seconds or so, the phone will reboot, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN to get back to bootloader.
(you may need to try 2 or 3 times to get it right)

when the rom start's booting up, it should stay on the bootsplash for about 3~4 minutes then change screen brightness, and continue (since I use custom bootup animation, I don't know if the standard one comes up with "BeatsAudio" or not), but once it changes from bootsplash to bootanimation, i wait another 15 mins or so.

glassjoe92

Jun 11, 2014
F*** YES. I pushed ViperOne to /sdcard/ and installed, works! At least it took me to the OS splash, which is great news. Thank the lord.

I really appreciate your help, both of you! I was so scared I was out a phone. Now I have it working, just in time for work tonight. Thanks again!

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
F*** YES. I pushed ViperOne to /sdcard/ and installed, works! At least it took me to the OS splash, which is great news. Thank the lord.

I really appreciate your help, both of you! I was so scared I was out a phone. Now I have it working, just in time for work tonight. Thanks again!

Cool :good: :good:

in case 2.6.3.3 is giving you headaches (black screen after install), you could always try 2.6.3.4... both are good for 4.4+ ROMs

(for some reason I'm on 2.6.3.3 and works fine 99% of the time, I only got that black screen after install once ... i think i was flashing too many recoveries at the time :p)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.