[UPDATE: 16th Mar] Notification LED v2.0.1 - FREE version uploaded on the Market!!

Search This thread

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com

I've put this in the Development section because whilst it is almost fully functional, it still needs a lot of development. Please be aware of this when you download it. I am not to be held responsible for anything that may happen as a result of running this app.

Requirements:
Root Access & a Custom ROM (StreakDroid 1.8.0 recommended (CONFIRMED WORKING ON 1.8.0))
Built under a 2.2 framework. If you are running anything pre-2.2 please be aware it may not work.

Please remember to remove all previous versions of the app before installing.

Simply open the app and press the "Menu" button. I hope you can figure the rest out! Enjoy! :)

"LED Notification FREE" has been uploaded in the Market. It has full functionality and it Ad Supported.
Please be aware that this version includes an "AdBlocker Check". This will block the app from opening if you have an adblocker installed on your phone. Sorry about this but i hate adblockers :) Alternatively, you can just remove all instances of Admob from your Hosts file.

Code:
[I][B][COLOR="blue"]QUICK HANDCENT FIX[/COLOR][/B]: 
Open Handcent, press 'Menu > Settings > Notification settings > Popup settings'.
[B]MAKE SURE[/B] 'Screen on for popup' is [B]UNCHECKED[/B].
Handcent wont interfere with my app from then on :D[/I]

NEW TO 2.0.1
Asks for SU Access when the app first loads Fixes some weird error that happens every now and again.
Completely re-coded the SMS receiver. Much smoother now!
SMS and Gmail Notifications can be turned on or off
New settings page - done properly now, wont save anything to sdcard [you can delete your STREAKLED folder now!] Press the 'menu' button when you open the app for settings.
Permissions tweaked (should be less LED problems)

KNOWN BUGS
Changing orientation during the pattern causes problems. Just don't do it!
Notifications overwrite each other. So if an SMS message arrives and then a Gmail, only the Menu button will be lit, and vice versa.
Services cannot be stopped (only by uninstalling) FIXED - 2.0
Sometimes all the buttons will end up being lit, not sure why. [SHOULD BE FIXED]

TODO
Add options for turning the SMS and Gmail notifications on and off DONE - 2.0
Have different patterns for each DONE - 1.3
Improve the UI (sort of) DONE - 2.0
Improve the pattern flashing sequence (sort of) DONE - 2.0
Clean up the code (WIP )DONE - 2.0
Fix orientation issue

This will ALWAYS be available for free on here, on Modaco and on my website (see sig) but i have uploaded a 'donate' version on the Android Market Place priced at £1.50, just incase you fancy buying me a beer :D

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• StreakLED.apk
    21 KB · Views: 2,148
  • StreakLEDv1.1.apk
    25.8 KB · Views: 167
  • StreakLEDv1.2.apk
    27.5 KB · Views: 257
  • StreakLEDv1.3.apk
    33.1 KB · Views: 561
  • LEDNotificationv2.0.1.apk
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,749
Last edited:

Devil-D

May 21, 2010
I've put this in the Development section because it is not fully functional and still needs a lot of development. This is basically a proof of concept app.

Requirements: Root Access (tested on 2.1 but build under a 1.6 framework so it should work on 1.6)

All you have to do is run the application, hit the home button and receive a text (or send yourself one). If your phone is locked it will wake up and dim the screen and flash the home/menu/back LEDs in a nice pattern and then keep the screen dimmed until you unlock the phone manually.

The only problem is that you will receive a Force Close error message and you will then have the re-open the app for it to work again. I am trying to fix this but will not be able to look into it for a few days so i thought i would release what i've done so far.

I will be adding settings and more patterns as soon as i can fix this FC error.

Well... GREAT!!! Thanks! It works... Was searching this kind of app for weeks. Thanks again!

Reactions: satanix and yungj

Amdathlonuk

May 10, 2009
Abergavenny
Nice work.

Just out of interest though, what's the dangers of having the screen on dim all night if I get a text message at stupid o'clock?

Wouldn't want to burn anything on my screen if that is possible.

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Nice work.

Just out of interest though, what's the dangers of having the screen on dim all night if I get a text message at stupid o'clock?

Screen burn is an issue on LCD screens, hence why i set it to do a dim wake lock instead of a full brightness one. Saying that, i have absolutely no idea whether screen burn would still occur but ill test it tonight and report back :)

On a positive note i have fixed the FC error and will release the fully working version tomorrow!! :D

Reactions: Baldyl0cks

jdmnash

Aug 26, 2010
Any way to make this compatible with non rooted steaks on 1.6?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Any way to make this compatible with non rooted steaks on 1.6?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

No, i'm afraid not. :(
Without Root Access it will probably just force close.

Currently in the process of adding more LED patterns :)
It also now wakes the phone, unlocks the phone and displays an "SMS Message Received" popup which it then hangs at until you close it.
Do you guys think this is better or should I make it lock the screen instead?

What else should i add/change? :D

a042349

Feb 9, 2006
Do you guys think this is better or should I make it lock the screen instead?

What else should i add/change? :D

I'd prefer it stayed locked, also if I read this thread correctly, it leaves the screen on (but dimmed?) is that true? I would need it to kill the screen, because as noted, it could kill your battery if you went a long time w/o clearing the alert.

Nice work so far though...

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
I'd prefer it stayed locked, also if I read this thread correctly, it leaves the screen on (but dimmed?) is that true? I would need it to kill the screen, because as noted, it could kill your battery if you went a long time w/o clearing the alert.

Nice work so far though...

Yeah, that's the only problem.
unfortunately, killing the screen freezes the LEDs in whatever state they're in, completely defying the point of the app :(
What i could do though, is wake up the screen, flash the LEDs but leave one on and turn the screen back off. This would turn everything off apart from that 1 LED and you could use different LEDs for different notifications. I'll try that out later.

Charles:

Feb 18, 2007
Yeah, that seems like a good idea. Maybe the Back LED for missed SMS, the Menu LED for missed call. Something like that.

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Well, it turns out that works miles better than what i was trying before.
Basically, it now turns the screen on, keeps it locked, flashes the LEDs, turns the screen back off and leaves the home LED on.
Give me about 10 mins and i'll put up a working version. No FC error this time :D

Bizzach

Nov 1, 2006
Houston
I haven't tried this yet, but I just want to say THANKS! No notification light was driving me crazy! I'm gonna install it now. I like that it would kill the screen but leave the LED light on. That's perfect!

**EDIT**
Well, it didn't work perfectly. Here's what happened on my Beta Streak....

With locking disabled (I use the 'NO LOCK' widget), it turned the screen on and said 'SMS received' and the home LED was on, for about 1-2 minutes, then both went off. When I turned back on the screen and read the msg, the LED went out.

With locking enabled, like most people would be using the app, the screen turned on for a few seconds while the LED pulsed, then both went out. No notification. When I unlock and read the msg, the home LED stays on. I have to 'clear' the app in the notification tray and lock then unlock the screen to make the home LED go out.

Seems like they're little tweaks that could be needed. If you can make this work and be functional, I'll donate to your Paypal! Again, thanks for your work on this project!!

Last edited:

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Yeah, it's still pretty much in it's 'Alpha' stage :p
Cheers, for the feedback, i'll look into the errors.
I know that if the screen is unlocked the Home LED will stay on until you lock/unlock the screen, but that should be an easy fix (hopefully), and i've not set up the Thread's quite right i don't think which could be causing the timing errors.
I'll be spending all of tomorrow getting this thing working so i'll report back :)

Doctor_Watson

Sep 6, 2010
A thought for down the road development:

Earlier today when I was thinking about this, I imagined an interface where the user could "record" their own flash sequence for each type of notification they had - email, sms, mms, missed call, etc. Just choose which notification they want to specify, click record, then tap the capacitive buttons in the sequence you want them to light up, then end the recording. Interval timing could be recorded or specified manually. Just a few ideas!

Thanks so much for this. I'll give it a run soon.

finalmoksha

Oct 1, 2007
Awesome work. Wanted something like this. I hope you will be able to add notifications for misssed calls and gmail as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've put this in the Development section because whilst it is almost fully functional, it still needs a lot of development. Please be aware of this when you download it. I am not to be held responsible for anything that may happen as a result of running this app.

Requirements:
    Root Access & a Custom ROM (StreakDroid 1.8.0 recommended (CONFIRMED WORKING ON 1.8.0))
    Built under a 2.2 framework. If you are running anything pre-2.2 please be aware it may not work.

Please remember to remove all previous versions of the app before installing.

Simply open the app and press the "Menu" button. I hope you can figure the rest out! Enjoy! :)

"LED Notification FREE" has been uploaded in the Market. It has full functionality and it Ad Supported.
    Please be aware that this version includes an "AdBlocker Check". This will block the app from opening if you have an adblocker installed on your phone. Sorry about this but i hate adblockers :) Alternatively, you can just remove all instances of Admob from your Hosts file.

Code:
    [I][B][COLOR="blue"]QUICK HANDCENT FIX[/COLOR][/B]: 
    Open Handcent, press 'Menu > Settings > Notification settings > Popup settings'.
    [B]MAKE SURE[/B] 'Screen on for popup' is [B]UNCHECKED[/B].
    Handcent wont interfere with my app from then on :D[/I]

NEW TO 2.0.1
    Asks for SU Access when the app first loads Fixes some weird error that happens every now and again.
    Completely re-coded the SMS receiver. Much smoother now!
    SMS and Gmail Notifications can be turned on or off
    New settings page - done properly now, wont save anything to sdcard [you can delete your STREAKLED folder now!] Press the 'menu' button when you open the app for settings.
    Permissions tweaked (should be less LED problems)

KNOWN BUGS
    Changing orientation during the pattern causes problems. Just don't do it!
    Notifications overwrite each other. So if an SMS message arrives and then a Gmail, only the Menu button will be lit, and vice versa.
    Services cannot be stopped (only by uninstalling) FIXED - 2.0
    Sometimes all the buttons will end up being lit, not sure why. [SHOULD BE FIXED]

TODO
    Add options for turning the SMS and Gmail notifications on and off DONE - 2.0
    Have different patterns for each DONE - 1.3
    Improve the UI (sort of) DONE - 2.0
    Improve the pattern flashing sequence (sort of) DONE - 2.0
    Clean up the code (WIP )DONE - 2.0
    Fix orientation issue

This will ALWAYS be available for free on here, on Modaco and on my website (see sig) but i have uploaded a 'donate' version on the Android Market Place priced at £1.50, just incase you fancy buying me a beer :D

I've put this in the Development section because it is not fully functional and still needs a lot of development. This is basically a proof of concept app.

Requirements: Root Access (tested on 2.1 but build under a 1.6 framework so it should work on 1.6)

All you have to do is run the application, hit the home button and receive a text (or send yourself one). If your phone is locked it will wake up and dim the screen and flash the home/menu/back LEDs in a nice pattern and then keep the screen dimmed until you unlock the phone manually.

The only problem is that you will receive a Force Close error message and you will then have the re-open the app for it to work again. I am trying to fix this but will not be able to look into it for a few days so i thought i would release what i've done so far.

I will be adding settings and more patterns as soon as i can fix this FC error.

Well... GREAT!!! Thanks! It works... Was searching this kind of app for weeks. Thanks again!
    Nice work.

Screen burn is an issue on LCD screens, hence why i set it to do a dim wake lock instead of a full brightness one. Saying that, i have absolutely no idea whether screen burn would still occur but ill test it tonight and report back :)

On a positive note i have fixed the FC error and will release the fully working version tomorrow!! :D
    This app is the dogs b*lx :)

Ive had my streak for 5 or 6 days and was thinking the only thing it was lacking was a notification LED of some kind.

Thank you :D

sorry for the OT ppl but dude your signature rocks so much i just can't stop watching it

btw the listen for missed calls/new mail would be freaking awesome
    Awesome app. Works with the latest StreakDroid 1.6.1 even. Love the pulse and wave. It works even when it isnt minimized which apparently is a bug but its more of a feature for me cos I dont like having things appear on the status bar :p

Yeah, the minimize and exit buttons are really just to turn the status bar icon on and off :p
    The only way to stop the app is to uninstall it atm, which is a pretty serious bug lol :D

But on the plus side i had an idea which *may* get Missed Call notifications working!