--Obsolete--WARNING to View Users - Read this before upgrading to HC

Search This thread

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
Thanks globatron.

I am running one and only (for now) custom ROM, so I was aware of the potential problems w/HC update, bricking the View.

So you if you are running non-stock ROM, you almost certainly soft brick your view by trying to install this upgrade.

I renamed phone.apk and cannot be bothered by OTA updates anymore :D

Will be patiently waiting for the new development.

Last edited:

RedWingsFan

Jul 7, 2010
Since I don't have my View yet, my best bet (when it arrives) would be to:

1. Not download any OTA updates available
2. If I want root, do it via Globatron's method in other thread (check h-boot first)
3. Wait for Globatron's tool for S-Off to S-Off upgrade to HC

focbuster78

Dec 5, 2008
Boston
Now this might be somewhat of a noob question, but I just kinda want to know the explanation and or answer. Is it impossible to Just make a Rooted HC rom that you can flash on an already rooted View?

spartan1987

Aug 5, 2010
Atlanta
Now this might be somewhat of a noob question, but I just kinda want to know the explanation and or answer. Is it impossible to Just make a Rooted HC rom that you can flash on an already rooted View?

Not unless we can keep the old Hboot or be able to keep S-off with the new one. Since the OTA auto updates you to the new Hboot you would lose root and S-off. best bet is just to let Globatron do his magic.

@Globatron btw I contacted TeamWin about getting official support for TWRP on the View and they responded saying they'd have to hack something to get the touch based stuff they just brought out working, but they said they could get the non-touch based version going possibly. I volunteered myself to test and dropped your name to contact if they had any Dev questions. If you didn't want that I apologize. We really need official recovery support that can back up the RSA keys.

Edit: dropbox link for the OTA
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54193141/OT...1.22.651.2_release_2310617n25jzbh791c6frl.zip

Last edited:
J

jcf2007

I have a related issue... I rooted a long time ago using Revolutionary, and it's my understanding that the bootloader that's installed with that has write-protection that doesn't allow any other bootloader to overwrite the one from Revolutionary.

So here's my issue. I can successfully download and install the Honeycomb update, but my View won't boot - I get stuck at the white HTC start-up screen. When I boot into the bootloader, it's still the old one from Revolutionary. I've tried manually flashing the new Honeycomb bootloader and the old Gingerbread bootloader in fastboot, but they don't stick -- adb says that it flashed successfully, but the bootloader doesn't actually change.

Any ideas? Is my tablet doomed to never have Honeycomb?

I have a related issue... I rooted a long time ago using Revolutionary, and it's my understanding that the bootloader that's installed with that has write-protection that doesn't allow any other bootloader to overwrite the one from Revolutionary.

So here's my issue. I can successfully download and install the Honeycomb update, but my View won't boot - I get stuck at the white HTC start-up screen. When I boot into the bootloader, it's still the old one from Revolutionary. I've tried manually flashing the new Honeycomb bootloader and the old Gingerbread bootloader in fastboot, but they don't stick -- adb says that it flashed successfully, but the bootloader doesn't actually change.

Any ideas? Is my tablet doomed to never have Honeycomb?
Globatron is working on the upgrade path right now. You are pretty lucky the hboot didn't stick or else it would be game over for any custom roms or rooting, quite possibly forever. I've been here since the beginning and sitting on my hands is tough but it will pay off.

deejayspinz

Dec 16, 2011
Moto G 2015
Guys.. another noob question. I have been diligently reading these forums and trying to understand all the lingo (rooting, s-off, OTA etc etc). I think I have an idea but want to make sure I understand the reason for waiting. I have a stock View right now and would like to try Honeycomb - but may want to go back, and later may want to try ICS. Do I understand it correctly that if I go the route of downloading the one provided by HTC/Sprint, that I won't be able to go back and this is one reason why Globatron is working on an s-off? I guess I just don't entirely understand the concept behind having to root and s-off devices? Is this so that a user can have permissions to go back and flash the stock Gingerbread ROM in the event that they don't like Honeycomb? ... and that we are waiting for someone like Globatron to modify the provided ROM from HTC/Sprint so we have the ability to go back, or change to other ROMs?

Is the general idea/steps:
- root device
- get s-off working (when developed)
- then load a modified ROM (eg the View Honeycomb that Globatron is working on now)?
- what if I want to backup my entire device as it is now (take an image), and be able to reload that image? Can this be done?

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
Questions, etc, Can this be done?

Let me try to make this easier for you since the devs hands are full from answering these questions. It sounds like this is the first time you are attempting to modify an android device.

YOU ARE STOCK Gingerbread View (2.3.3 or 2.3.4)
A) You upgrade to Stock Honeycomb View -> You loose any ability to load a custom recovery or root for the time being. It may be even indefinitely if the devs can't find a way to gain root.

B) You keep yourself at stock Gingerbread -> You still have a rootable device and can load custom roms, but are advised to not upgrade until the patched HC is out and you can continue to load custom roms and whatever you want when that is completed.

I'm going to try a simple computer analogy assuming you run windows or OSX.

S-ON means the Hboot can't be modified. You can only boot directly into Stock Windows without any option, opportunity to boot into a custom OS. It's like saying it's a one way street directly into the Stock OS.

S-OFF means the Hboot can be modified. Think of it as a custom boot for Windows if that's what you're using. It allows you to install "modified Windows" that is free of some programs or whatever are tweaked/removed/improved in custom roms. This is like saying there is multiple streets at an intersection that allow you to end at the destination YOU choose it to be (which is the rom).

There is no point in backing up your device if you are on stock and intend to stay stock unless you just want to save your data. There's no way to revert from Honeycomb->Gingerbread with official stock rom. It's like I just said, a one way street. If you attempted to do it, it likely wouldn't even let you or you'll end up bricking your device after trying to downgrade.

The general steps are
1) Achieve S-OFF to customize the HBOOT
2) Achieve root / Load Recovery program
3) Flash the custom rooted roms and be able to flash more custom stuff in the future.

Globatron is NOT working on a ROM. He's working on re-gaining S-OFF for people who want to load Honeycomb on their tablet.

Last edited:

Immix

Apr 1, 2005
Mumbai, IN
Do I understand it correctly that if I go the route of downloading the one provided by HTC/Sprint, that I won't be able to go back and this is one reason why Globatron is working on an s-off?
Yes you won't be able to go back to GB or flash custom ROMs if you upgrade to HC via official channels. Wait for Globatron to do his thing. There will be detailed step by step instructions on how to upgrade to HC using Globatron's method later.
I guess I just don't entirely understand the concept behind having to root and s-off devices? Is this so that a user can have permissions to go back and flash the stock Gingerbread ROM in the event that they don't like Honeycomb? ... and that we are waiting for someone like Globatron to modify the provided ROM from HTC/Sprint so we have the ability to go back, or change to other ROMs?
My understanding is that all android phones (possily all phones) have such a thing called bootloaders. These bootloaders are gateways to flash ROMs, kernel, Radio SW, Recovery SW, etc. on to the phones. On a HTC device, HBOOT is the bootloader version that governs whether a custom ROM, kernel, etc. can be flashed on to the device. By default almost all HTC devices come with a locked state of HBOOT. This is called S-ON. In this state it is not possible to flash custom ROMs, kernels, etc. Devs have found ways to unlock HBOOT on some devices. This is called S-OFF. By acheiving S-OFF you can flash custom ROMs on your HTC device. This includes going back and forth between GB and HC and ICS (if and when it becomes available).

Root is completely different from S-OFF. By rooting your phone you get read and write access to the file system of the system partition, which contains the system files of the ROM installed on that device. Rooting enables you to modify (theme) the existing ROM. You can read up more on bootloader unlocking vs rooting online.

The official HC upgrade conatains a new version of HBOOT for which an unlock or S-OFF is not available. This means that if you upgrade to HC OTA, your device will get flashed with the new HBOOT and because it is locked, you will not be able to flash custom ROMs or go back to GB if you don't like HC.

Globatron is trying to find a way to preserve the existing HBOOT version which is S-OFFable while upgrading to HC.
Is the general idea/steps:
- root device
- get s-off working (when developed)
- then load a modified ROM (eg the View Honeycomb that Globatron is working on now)?
- what if I want to backup my entire device as it is now (take an image), and be able to reload that image? Can this be done?
Globatron's method will let you do all of the above.

vancraft

May 24, 2008
The Honeycomb upgrade for the View is expected to start rolling out.

Before taking this upgrade please read the following in order to be aware of the consequences of taking the upgrade if you want any root options or custom ROMs or custom recovery.

It is expected that the upgrade will contain a new hboot ...
[*]If you take this upgrade there is no HTC unlock for the View yet.
  • This means no root for now
  • This means no custom ROMs for now
  • This means no rollback to gingerbread for now
  • In other words this is a dead-end for now.
[*]There is no S-OFF tool for the view when running on HC (revolutionary will not work)
Once I get hold of the new hboot I will provide an S-OFF to S-OFF upgrade path for the view as quickly as possible thereafter. In other words you will run revolutionary on gingerbread and then upgrade to the new S-OFF configuration, allowing you to have root, custom recovery and custom roms.

Globatron,
When you and your fellow magicians create the desired hboot, S-off patch, and rooting codes; will you please post the link on this thread as well as the new threads that will obviously be appropriate for the new releases?

Also, since the HTC Evo View release is here, (check your Settings>System Updates>HTC Software Updates>Check Now), I'd recommend that folks check their apps to inventory any of them which are not compatible with Honey Comb. This is a bigger issue than previous updates (like moving from 2.2 to 2.3).

Also, HTC releases the notifications for OS updates. You don't need a Sprint acct. to get the updates.

D

Deleted member 2173701

ive only had my device since yesterday...but ive managed to grab a tab that had the original software on it. s-offed with revolutionary, and modified each different ota update.zip to apply the patches but not update anything in the firmware.zips.

updated all the way up to honeycomb without a hitch. i know the hboots have to be updated, but one thing i noticed was the fact that it randomly told me

"random offset: 0x2a2" when flashing the stock boot.img

im working on a honeycomb rom for the view...just wanted to put in my 2cents since we dont have an IRC channel to collaborate on.

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
I am not so sure I want to install it even after S-Off fix will be found on XDA.
I like the hardware buttons and don't want to get rid of them and take valuable screen space with the software buttons.

My rooted View on custom ROM is extremely fast as it is.
2330 on Quadrant.

Can someone convince me that HC is necessary?

sojuman77

Nov 5, 2010
NY
I need help plz!!!

I'm a noob and just got my view. I had it s-off with revolutionary. I did not read this thread but I tried to update my view and bricked it. Any solution??

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
ive only had my device since yesterday...but ive managed to grab a tab that had the original software on it. s-offed with revolutionary, and modified each different ota update.zip to apply the patches but not update anything in the firmware.zips.

updated all the way up to honeycomb without a hitch. i know the hboots have to be updated, but one thing i noticed was the fact that it randomly told me

"random offset: 0x2a2" when flashing the stock boot.img

im working on a honeycomb rom for the view...just wanted to put in my 2cents since we dont have an IRC channel to collaborate on.

New hboot related. The boot offsets for the boot images has changed, you'll need the contents of the firmware.zip this time ( exception being hboot )

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
Re-flash the honeycomb clockworkmod recovery through fastboot, power off your view from the fastboot menu and wait until tomorrow. It's 4.30 AM here and I'm done for the night. I'll sort you out tomorrow.

He figured it all out, I bet.

Crucial question though:
If I install this, will I be able to go back to my GB ?

I have root. I have CWM. I have Nandroid backup.

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
I am not so sure I want to install it even after S-Off fix will be found on XDA.
I like the hardware buttons and don't want to get rid of them and take valuable screen space with the software buttons.

My rooted View on custom ROM is extremely fast as it is.
2330 on Quadrant.

Can someone convince me that HC is necessary?

One benefit of HC is video chat in Google Talk. Something gingerbread will not get, but that is the motivating point for me! I am waiting patiently to be able to cam in gchat.

There are other stuff like better support for multiple cores (well, not for us), a better keyboard (in my opinion).

You can see a general list here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#3.x_Honeycomb

Last edited:

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
I'm glad I came here before trying to take the update. I'll wait for globatron to work his magic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED:

HTC unlock supports the View.
    I have S-OFF working as an upgrade path
    It is possible to rollback from HC to GB, irrespective of S-OFF or not.

There is some more work required on the procedures, but it can all be done.

-----Information below this line is kept for historical reference------

The Honeycomb upgrade for the View is expected to start rolling out.

Before taking this upgrade please read the following in order to be aware of the consequences of taking the upgrade if you want any root options or custom ROMs or custom recovery.

It is expected that the upgrade will contain a new hboot (that has been strongly hinted at by reliable sources but never explicitly confirmed), that being the case you should be aware of the following consequences:

1. If you take this upgrade there is no HTC unlock for the View yet.
    2. There is no S-OFF tool for the view when running on HC (revolutionary will not work)
    3. There is currently no known working temp root exploit on HC (again this means no rollback)

So with that depressing information out of the way, here is the good news:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

While some of you will want to stay completely stock and have no need for root or custom roms/recovery and I entirely respect that opinion and option as being valid others may be undecided. If you are undecided I strongly suggest that you either:
    1. Wait until you have decided
    2. Perform the S-OFF upgrade, which is reversible and will allow you to go back to stock if you want to.

Again, to re-iterate if you take the upgrade as is you will be stuck with no options but to stay completely stock.
    Can my two beta testers make their machines ready for remote access this evening? I be active a little after 5 eastern. One of you knows who you are, the other I spoke to on #alpharev last night.

Before the questions start I'm not going to name them, to avoid them getting bombarded with questions and I an NOT looking for anyone else at this time so do not pm/email etc asking if you can be an early tester, the answer is no.

I am only posting this in the open so that people know there is progress. I am not going to answer any questions on what that progress is or how much longer it will take. In the alpharev/Revolutionary tradition it will be released when ready.
    Questions, etc, Can this be done?

Let me try to make this easier for you since the devs hands are full from answering these questions. It sounds like this is the first time you are attempting to modify an android device.

YOU ARE STOCK Gingerbread View (2.3.3 or 2.3.4)
    A) You upgrade to Stock Honeycomb View -> You loose any ability to load a custom recovery or root for the time being. It may be even indefinitely if the devs can't find a way to gain root.

B) You keep yourself at stock Gingerbread -> You still have a rootable device and can load custom roms, but are advised to not upgrade until the patched HC is out and you can continue to load custom roms and whatever you want when that is completed.

I'm going to try a simple computer analogy assuming you run windows or OSX.

S-ON means the Hboot can't be modified. You can only boot directly into Stock Windows without any option, opportunity to boot into a custom OS. It's like saying it's a one way street directly into the Stock OS.

S-OFF means the Hboot can be modified. Think of it as a custom boot for Windows if that's what you're using. It allows you to install "modified Windows" that is free of some programs or whatever are tweaked/removed/improved in custom roms. This is like saying there is multiple streets at an intersection that allow you to end at the destination YOU choose it to be (which is the rom).

There is no point in backing up your device if you are on stock and intend to stay stock unless you just want to save your data. There's no way to revert from Honeycomb->Gingerbread with official stock rom. It's like I just said, a one way street. If you attempted to do it, it likely wouldn't even let you or you'll end up bricking your device after trying to downgrade.

The general steps are
    1) Achieve S-OFF to customize the HBOOT
    2) Achieve root / Load Recovery program
    3) Flash the custom rooted roms and be able to flash more custom stuff in the future.

Globatron is NOT working on a ROM. He's working on re-gaining S-OFF for people who want to load Honeycomb on their tablet.
    Ok, breaking news at this point. Rollback from offical ota is possible.
    Re-flash the honeycomb clockworkmod recovery through fastboot, power off your view from the fastboot menu and wait until tomorrow. It's 4.30 AM here and I'm done for the night. I'll sort you out tomorrow.