Tilt wont turn on or charge. Shows red light when plugged

Search This thread

xconradx

Dec 11, 2007
Portland, OR
36H00563-00M
181007(RC01)/US

Charger is the supposedly "bad one", but my phone is still working perfect. This is the new tilt, my RLOD one I can't get the numbers off because I already took it back.

However, I don't think the charger is the issue. I've been using my new tilt for about 2 weeks without a hitch. The one that died lasted 2 days.

If I could take a stab at it, it seems to be something internal, like someone posted earlier, HTC replaced his motherboard. I assume he is still using the same charger?

uglybassplayer

Dec 20, 2006
Curious... Is this something that seems to be only affecting the Tilt or have any TyTN II owners experienced similar problems?

TitsMagee

Jan 3, 2008
So it might be hardware or it might be the charger?

What would make so many just not work after New Years?

I spoke to ATT tech online and they said they are (of course) unaware of a problem.

austinsnyc

Mar 24, 2007
New York City
www.austinluker.com
i do NOT think it is a charger issue I have had my kaiser from the first day they cam out with the delta charger and have had no issues what so ever. I think its more a bad batch of tilts since I have not heard of any kaisers having this issue only tilts

HarleyTheGod

Nov 27, 2007
36H00563-00M
181007(RC01)/US

Mine also died while on charge the night of 12/29. I tried all of the suggestions that I found here and on AT&T's HTC forum, to no avail. Finely I gave up and called AT&T on 12/30, only to be told that I needed to speak to someone from the "Premier" dept and they were out until Monday.

I left the battery out of my phone overnight and put it back in the morning, Monday 12/31, without trying to turn it on, and brought it to work with me. When I got to work I tried to turn it on with no luck.

At 8 AM I called AT&T to start the process of getting a replacement. They wanted the IMEI Number, so I removed the back and battery and read it off to them. I went through the whole process and a replacement was sent on it's way.

RIGHT after I got off the phone with AT&T I picked up my Tilt, put the battery back in and the back cover back on and, just for the hell of it, pushed the power button.

Son of a ***** powered right up and is now working fine!

I immediately called AT&T to cancel the shipment of the replacement phone and was told that once an order was placed it couldn't be stopped but they would note in their system that I no longer needed the phone and to ship it right back when I received it, which I did this morning.
Now I'm wondering if I should have kept the replacement phone after all even though the "old" one is working fine.

dfresh305

Oct 13, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
@Harley-
You probably should have kept the new one and let them have the old one. I'm gonna go try mine now and see if it comes back from the dead.

@ Everyone-
What's killing me about this whole situation is the death of the 8525 only days after the tilt died. (Sounds very gothy with the death and the killing. lol) Just coincidence??? I think not. Is it possible some crazy ota update was sent and certain models could not handle the change? I know that's just taking a shot in the dark, but if ozzy can, why can't I?

KoZoTo

Dec 30, 2007
I never said this is the only reason that tilts are getting the red light of doom, but it has been one of the passing problems in my store. This is just my personal insight.

enigmatx

May 10, 2006
My experience is somewhat related to the Red Light of Death issue many of you are facing. I received my AT&T Tilt on 23NOV. I had been charging it with the supplied charger, an OEM charger from my Cingular 8125, as well as two different Motorola AC chargers (with lower ratings, 500 mA?), and two different DC car chargers (one a Motorola the other a Blackberry charger). Of course, the lower rated Motorola chargers charged it more slowly, but I was able to charge it completely with every charger (or so, I thought it was completely charged, but now am not so sure).

However, about 7-10 days ago it began to not charge with anything but its supplied charger or the charger for the 8125. I also began having problems with the battery draining mouch faster under normal usage. I also noted that I would see the wait cursor appear about every 2 seconds when on the Today screen and rarely, but sometimes, when in other screens. SK Tools reported that shell32.exe was consuming 20-100% of the cpu cycles. This all began on or about the same time I did a hard reset without loading the AT&Tcustomizations. But that should not matter and is inconsistent with other user's experiences.

I think I've isolated the wait cursor and battery drain problem to SPB Pocket Plus version 4.0.2 - or more likely, something that I had loaded under SPB Pocket Plus. I haven't bothered to further isloate the SPB Pocket Plus issue as the hard drive on my work laptop crashed. :(

Still, I find it odd that the phone has suddenly become very picky about its power source. I never had that problem with any of my three 8125s that were charged with the one shipped charger and the same under-rated Motorala chargers and same DC chargers.

It is worth noting that the batery on my 8125 had died after about 3-4 months. The store rep replaced it for free, but advised me to not leave the phone connected to the DC charger when starting the engine as it can expose the phone to power surges that cause premature battery failure. I don;t know if it's true, but I practiced that protocol thereafter and the battery on the 8125 is still going strong after 8 months.

The 8925 is using the stock AT&T ROM with customization via cab files that are not known to cause any problems.

Battery is Dynapack P/N: 35H00088-00M
Charger is Delta Electronics, Inc.; labeled "C.C.: JM" and "REV: 01"
Serial Numbers start with SRW0611..... and DP4X163....
HTC P/N: 79H00051-01M
Model: ADP-5FH B

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Two Issues...Mine confirmed

Well, there are be two issues going on here it seems. My replacement tilt usb port is arrow straight. My previous post reference to the curving, or a lower right side of the port pin has also been confirmed as a culprit to this issue. It seems that some of the tilts have usb port pins that are not completely attached & have a tendency to break on the weaker right side. This upper right pin is labeled "E" on the HTC USB PIN Chart & this is what handles the 5-Volt charging. When the pin breaks in this area, you get a curve to the right side or the pin drops slightly on the right side. This also explains why some people can still charge via home chagre & not auto. I expect we may find that the same thing in reverse may also occur, hence causing the unit to only charge via the 5V such as pc - usb or auto.

So, we have bad cargers for some & bad usb ports for others it seems.

As a precaution, I urge you all to make sure that your usb connectors fit snug, BUT NOT TOO TIGHT! Also check to make certain that your charger cable is free of debris & that it hasn't got a slight bow to it.

dfresh305

Oct 13, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
I understand all the talk about chargers, but what I am saying is that when putting a completely charged battery in my phone, I get nothing. It won't turn on at all.

TitsMagee

Jan 3, 2008
Weird, I called my phone and instead of going directly to Voicemail, it rings like the phone is on, then goes to Voicemail.

That leads me to believe the phone thinks it has battery life?

HarleyTheGod

Nov 27, 2007
I understand all the talk about chargers, but what I am saying is that when putting a completely charged battery in my phone, I get nothing. It won't turn on at all.

That's what mine was doing. I have two batteries and a stand-alone charger.
Personally, I think it was a software bug. That's the only reason I can think of that would cause so many to die the same way on the same night.

And dfresh305, you're probably right about keeping the replacement, but I've only had the phone a month and still have almost 11 months to go on the warranty.

dfresh305

Oct 13, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
My question is how does a software bug keep a phone from even responding to electricity, and then suddenly decide to go away and let the phone work again? Just seems crazy. My new phone was overnighted, and UPS has it listed for "Out for delivery" right now. I'm patiently waiting. LOL

dfresh305

Oct 13, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
i dont think its day/month/year because mine is:
36h00563-00M
061107(TB02)/US
and i bought mine on october 6th. mine is fine btw(knock on wood).

That actually helps prove the dates. I just got my new one in. Unfortunately I looked at the date and "memorized" it, then put my awesome boxwave active case on. I don't feel like taking it all back off, and I already forgot the date. I will tell you it was different from my other one. Hopefully I have good luck with this one.