Install any OTA (incl *4.2.2*) with stock recovery - don't wait for Google!

Search This thread

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Quick instructions if you are stock, unrooted without CWM. You MUST have unlocked your bootloader and have ADB (Android SDK installed) already for this to work.

You must be on 4.2.1 (JOP40D) to upgrade to 4.2.2 (JDQ39) using this method.

1. Download this to your computer -> http://android.clients.google.com/p...4.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip

2. Turn off your phone

3. Hold down Volume - and Power to get into Fastboot

4. Scroll down to Recovery and enter.

5. On the No Command Android screen hold Power and Volume + to get to menu. Might take a few attempts to get timing right

6. On the menu select Update from ADB

7. Connect your phone to computer with USB

8. On computer type "adb sideload de8b8d101614.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip"

9. You should then see this output: "sending: 'sideload' 100%"

10. Your phone screen will say System Update or something and it will install the OTA.

Once done just select reboot in recovery and you're done. You can use this method for ALL future OTAs - all you need is the update zip. This works on all Nexus including Nexus 7, assuming Nexus 10 and GNexus.

No longer need to wait for OTAs. Enjoy!

UPDATED FOR 4.2.2

Last edited:

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Are you saying you can downgrade this way too?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Doubt it but you're welcome to try. All this does is flash the update.zip using stock recovery. I'm assuming if the zip you flash wipes system and installs an older version it might work but you couldn't just flash an OTA for an old version, that wouldn't work. If you're downgrading, best to flash CWM recovery and use that.

Reactions: undercover

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Your bootloader has to be unlocked? Are you sure about that?

Give it a go with locked one. It might not take adb cmds when locked, but if it does, then I don't see a problem since it's a signed ota. It's the question wherever "sideload" is accepted with locked bootloader. I'll give it a try now.

MaxCarnage

Feb 4, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Give it a go with locked one. It might not take adb cmds when locked, but if it does, then I don't see a problem since it's a signed ota. It's the question wherever "sideload" is accepted with locked bootloader. I'll give it a try now.

I'm at work without ADB so I would have to do it when I got home.

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
You wont need an unlocked bootloader and you wont be able to downgrade.

OTA updates are very specific, check the file name of this one, it's JOP40C > JOP40D

Reactions: N00B_IN_N33D

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Hmmm, every time i get to power and +vol i end up with battery icon.

btw, savo yourself hassle. enable usb debugging and type
Code:
adb reboot recovery

I can't get into menu.. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehavoc

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
Is your version of adb up to date?

Thanks for that idea. No, i haven't updated it ever. I never thought of it either. I'm omw to work, so I'll try that later. I see others in the USA posting they received ota already. Im wondering if its not available to me yet because i bought mine through Tmobile? Would this cause a small delay, do u think?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Thanks for that idea. No, i haven't updated it ever. I never thought of it either. I'm omw to work, so I'll try that later. I see others in the USA posting they received ota already. Im wondering if its not available to me yet because i bought mine through Tmobile? Would this cause a small delay, do u think?

I haven't got mine either in UK.

Edit. Yup, out of date adb was at fault. Worked

Last edited:
Reactions: Arhtard and eep2378

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick instructions if you are stock, unrooted without CWM. You MUST have unlocked your bootloader and have ADB (Android SDK installed) already for this to work.

You must be on 4.2.1 (JOP40D) to upgrade to 4.2.2 (JDQ39) using this method.

1. Download this to your computer -> http://android.clients.google.com/p...4.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip

2. Turn off your phone

3. Hold down Volume - and Power to get into Fastboot

4. Scroll down to Recovery and enter.

5. On the No Command Android screen hold Power and Volume + to get to menu. Might take a few attempts to get timing right

6. On the menu select Update from ADB

7. Connect your phone to computer with USB

8. On computer type "adb sideload de8b8d101614.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip"

9. You should then see this output: "sending: 'sideload' 100%"

10. Your phone screen will say System Update or something and it will install the OTA.

Once done just select reboot in recovery and you're done. You can use this method for ALL future OTAs - all you need is the update zip. This works on all Nexus including Nexus 7, assuming Nexus 10 and GNexus.

No longer need to wait for OTAs. Enjoy!

UPDATED FOR 4.2.2
    Done.

I think step 5 can be more clearly worded like this:

5. When you see a red triangle on the android robot, press and hold power button AND quickly press Volume+.

I haven't got mine either in UK.

Edit. Yup, out of date adb was at fault. Worked

Doubt it but you're welcome to try. All this does is flash the update.zip using stock recovery. I'm assuming if the zip you flash wipes system and installs an older version it might work but you couldn't just flash an OTA for an old version, that wouldn't work. If you're downgrading, best to flash CWM recovery and use that.