JakeDHS07 and Ohmster's CyanogenMod Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
A custom ROM I used a while back changed my Mac address of my phones WiFi. At work they use Mac filtering so j couldn't use the WiFi after it changed. Following the guide I changed out back and can now set it to what ever I want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Guide for making a new nvs.map_bin file?

I tried that but no luck...

I have also wl1271-nvs.bin,what I should do with it?

Sent from my Razr XT910

iamteachme

Mar 27, 2011
One sec I'll post a step by step what I did.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Apps i used . Root Explorer and Hex editor ( free from app store )
HTML:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tuba.tools&hl=en
Any file explorer will probably work i like root explorer cause i can set permissions with it when i am done. TURN OFF WIFI BEFORE STARTING THIS .
1. Get Current mac address goto wifi hit menu goto advanced and write that down.
2. Write down what you want it to change it to below it.
3. open root explorer (or your file browser ) and go to system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity and copy wl1271-nvs.bin then paste it to your sd card external or internal will work.
4. open wl1271-nvs.bin (the one you copied not the original) with hex editor app and look on the first 2 lines and you will see your current mac address it will be listed backwards for me the first 4 were on line 2 and the rest on line 1 change them to match what you want . thats why i said write what you want it to be below the original so you can change 2 at a time . once you are done hit menu and save.
5. copy your wl1271-nvs.bin ( the one you edited ) and paste it over the original found in system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity ( you will need a root explorer to paste here) then set permissions to match the picture below. now go back and check that your mac has changed to what you want it.

u5BGgFpZ

Last edited:

Ohmster

Sep 5, 2011
Pompano Beach

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

HTML:
Any file explorer will probably work i like root explorer cause i can set permissions with it when i am done. TURN OFF WIFI BEFORE STARTING THIS .
1. Get Current mac address goto wifi hit menu goto advanced and write that down.
3. open root explorer (or your file browser ) and go to system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity and copy wl1271-nvs.bin then paste it to your sd card external or internal will work.
4. open wl1271-nvs.bin (the one you copied not the original) with hex editor app and look on the first 2 lines and you will see your current mac address it will be listed backwards for me the first 4 were on line 2 and the rest on line 1 change them to match what you want . thats why i said write what you want it to be below the original so you can change 2 at a time . once you are done hit menu and save.
5. copy your wl1271-nvs.bin ( the one you edited ) and paste it over the original found in system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity ( you will need a root explorer to paste here) then set permissions to match the picture below. now go back and check that your mac has changed to what you want it.

Wow, Teachme, you get an A+ for learning and doing your own work! :D

Making a new nvs.bin file by the online Texas Instruments guide does not work, you can edit your own bin file or take one from another phone, editing it, and saving it to your own phone. This is what Teachme did. And he did a very good job with it and with posting the instructions for it. The attached picture will help you hex edit the file.

Welder, I made a color coded hex editor map of the nvs_map.bin file file, showing where each digit of the MAC address is so that you can use the picture to change your own MAC address in a Hex Editor app or program, save the file, and restore it back to the phone. This picture will help you a LOT with this, HexEditor_NV_map-MAC-Change.jpg attached. Use it to change your own MAC address in a hex editor. Page 49 of this thread has a lot of help with this. Teachme is using this Hex Editor app to do the work. This is kind of funny, I wrote the author Alex about this app because it did not work in CM11. I wanted it so bad that I debugged it for him with special debug apk files to get it working in CM11. Alex lives in Ukraine and is heavily involved with the current war, it was hard to get him to trust me and give me his name.

@ChungHung.Chen also helped a lot in this effort. Go change your MAC, it can be done! The attached files will help you a lot with this. You get instructions by iamteachme to directly edit your MAC Address file, and the original instructions to perform this on the hardware backup file, nvs_map.bin and restore it with the wifical.sh command. :D

NOTE:
If you still have your /pds folder, inside of it will be a wifi folder, and inside of that is an nvs_map.bin file. This is the file used when running wifical.sh in a terminal window as root. Save this entire /pds folder to your PC by the ext-sdcard, once gone, it can never be replaced! Edit the nvs_map.bin file as well to insure accuracy when running the wifical.sh script.

EDIT:

How to fix your XT910 & XT912 phone's WiFi MAC Address

@iamteachme you did such a good job in writing this HOW-TO Guide for XT910 phones that with your permission, I would like to include in my own HOW-TO Guide for XT912 phones because the files are identical and your procedure takes an entirely different file approach. I will attach the zip file for those that need it. Thank a lot for all the hard work you did on this. It should be indexed here to help others with the same problem. The bold title above is for search engine indexing purposes. Man, you did a really good job, bra. The "Teach Me" is now "The Teacher"! :D :good:

Attachments

• HexEditor_NV_map-MAC-Change.jpg
    HexEditor_NV_map-MAC-Change.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 65
  • nvs_map.zip
    258 bytes · Views: 7
  • Permanently_Change_XT912_WiFi_MAC_Address.zip
    122.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: iamteachme

juukoumar

Oct 24, 2014
it seems my phone has no os help please

please i need help i rooted my phone and installed cm 11 it worked well..suddenly i started receiving messages that systemui has stopped whenever i tried to touch status bar it could suddenly bring the msg then i wanted to clear cache it wasn't clearing, so i booted in safestrap un fortunately wiping cache i wiped the system on rebooting i got this message no ios instead i continued rebooting from now and then my xt910 Razr stops on M logo never turns on i need help please...it i don't have ios on it and also i cant like install software like safestrap for me to install cm again

brkahughes

Jun 2, 2009
please i need help i rooted my phone and installed cm 11 it worked well..suddenly i started receiving messages that systemui has stopped whenever i tried to touch status bar it could suddenly bring the msg then i wanted to clear cache it wasn't clearing, so i booted in safestrap un fortunately wiping cache i wiped the system on rebooting i got this message no ios instead i continued rebooting from now and then my xt910 Razr stops on M logo never turns on i need help please...it i don't have ios on it and also i cant like install software like safestrap for me to install cm again

I'm sorry, I don't know why systemui was crashing on you,a number of factors can cause that...

Unfortunately, if you can't get to SafeStrap, you will need to RSDlite the proper image back on your phone. You can't RSD SafeStrap, since it doesn't replace your old recovery, just hijacks it and requires a working stock "slot" installation. Also, as you have an xt910, there is no simple utility to use and you have to have the correct stock image for your carrier.

If you are landing on the "dead Andy" and can get your hands on the latest OTA zip from your carrier and place it on the root of your SD card, try volume up and down together, you might be able to "install update" from stock recovery... This would prevent wiping the internal SD card which happens when you have to RSD.

- Brian
"... no matter where you go, there you are.". -Buckaroo Banzai

Reactions: Ohmster

JakeDHS07

Dec 15, 2010
North Salem NY
Google Pixel 7 Pro
End of an era

Ladies and gentlemen I have returned. Unfortunately I return with some bitter sweet news but its not all bad. I will be moving to the Droid Turbo as my main device (hope to have root and etc working ASAP) and I hope to see a few of you over there.

As far as the RAZR goes I love this community and am KEEPING my RAZR not trading it in so I will be able to continue helping out and developing here for that device as well for as long as it remains active. I haven't heard anything as far as 5.0 or CM 12 for the RAZR but I will keep my eyes open and see what I can do for all of you.

This Q&A was initially started by me to gain some more reputation and recognition around here as my quest to become an admin went into full swing. I was called back to Ireland for a couple of months on family business and handed off the duties to Ohmster and the rest of our brilliant community. They have done an amazing job. Now that XDA has setup an "Official" Q&A Help Thread directly under the parent developer thread, this "Handy at the Time" Q&A thread is now redundant and a tad confusing for new members to ask the questions they cannot yet ask in the developer thread. So in the best interests of the Razr Community, I am going to concentrate my efforts to help in the official Q&A thread where I feel my efforts will be utilized to it's best potential. This way all questions to a common thread can all be consolidated in one convenient place and will be easier for new members to find. It has been a lot of fun but the fun is not over, I will see you all in the [Q&A] [ROM][4.4.4][CDMA/GSM] Official CM11 thread soon, right here:
http://xdaforums.com/droi...lable-t2901995

This Q&A thread will close in one week and members are referred to the official Q&A from now on.
Thank you everyone and I will see you over there!!!

Cheers,
Shaun AKA JakeDHS07

Last edited:

Ohmster

Sep 5, 2011
Pompano Beach
Ladies and gentlemen I have returned. Unfortunately I return with some bitter sweet news but its not all bad. I will be moving to the Droid Turbo as my main device (hope to have root and etc working ASAP) and I hope to see a few of you over there.

As far as the RAZR goes I love this community and am KEEPING my RAZR not trading it in so I will be able to continue helping out and developing here for that device as well for as long as it remains active. I haven't heard anything as far as 5.0 or CM 12 for the RAZR but I will keep my eyes open and see what I can do for all of you.

This Q&A was initially started by me to gain some more reputation and recognition around here as my quest to become an admin went into full swing. I was called back to Ireland for a couple of months on family business and handed off the duties to Ohmster and the rest of our brilliant community. They have done an amazing job. Now that XDA has setup an "Official" Q&A Help Thread directly under the parent developer thread, this "Handy at the Time" Q&A thread is now redundant and a tad confusing for new members to ask the questions they cannot yet ask in the developer thread. So in the best interests of the Razr Community, I am going to concentrate my efforts to help in the official Q&A thread where I feel my efforts will be utilized to it's best potential. This way all questions to a common thread can all be consolidated in one convenient place and will be easier for new members to find. It has been a lot of fun but the fun is not over, I will see you all in the [Q&A] [ROM][4.4.4][CDMA/GSM] Official CM11 thread soon, right here:

This Q&A thread will close in one week and members are referred to the official Q&A from now on.

Cheers,
Shaun AKA JakeDHS07

Bravo!!! (Applause)

Shaun, you are one very active, talented, skilled, and amazing guy. You taught me a lot and it would be a pleasure to join you in the official Q&A thread.

Hey, you ever-so-popular thread has hit 50 pages until the XDA authorities saw fit to actually create a newbie Q&A thread. Now how is THAT for being ahead of the time? :D

Great work buddy. Meet you on the other side of the fence. There are newbies and seniors alike to help! :cyclops:

Ohmster

Sep 5, 2011
Pompano Beach
Thread Closed

Dear Members,

It has been a blast here in the JakeDHS07 and Ohmster's CyanogenMod Q&A Thread helping everyone, meeting new members, making friends. But with the opening of the Official [Q&A] [ROM][4.4.4][CDMA/GSM] Official CM11 (M10 Snapshot Available 9/18/14) thread now in place, keeping this separate thread open is no longer reasonable. It is much more important to concentrate our efforts in the new, official channel where we can reach and help a lot more members with issues.

So in light of the new official thread, JakeDHS07 and Ohmster's CyanogenMod Q&A Thread is now officially closed. Please post your questions and help requests in the new, official thread. Thanks everybody! :D

Click below for help
[Q&A] [ROM][4.4.4][CDMA/GSM] Official CM11 (M12 Snapshot Final)​

* It took some doing, but I finally got the Q&A Thread name changed to reflect the current build status, M12 Snapshot. It was getting a bit old at M10. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: iamteachme
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    End of an era

Cheers,
    Shaun AKA JakeDHS07
    Hello everyone. My name is JakeDHS07 (real name Shaun) I will respond to both and for those of you uninitiated I have been a debugger, tester, and troubleshooter since the ICS days way back when. I'm pretty well versed in Android and especially CM Roms. So does anybody have any questions or issues they would like to ask. Please keep in mind while I will do my best I can't guarantee anything. Just doing what I can to help out. :D

DROID RAZR MAXX CM 11 JBX KERNEL
    Yes, the LED flashes about every 3 seconds no matter what interval or duration you set. Again, I'm not complaining about this, just an observation. Also, I have to follow up and say that setting the LED to always on does not work as I said it did; it still flashes about every 3 seconds.

I'm not surprised that the notification LED goes away after going into the settings for it; just like it goes away if you just open the notification drawer and don't actually dismiss the notification there.

Just to add something new, here is a website that gives the correct hex values for various colors which I find easier than working the sliders to set them up: Color Hex Color Codes

Thank you for the backup on that. I too find typing in named colors easier than that slider thing and I use the 216 safe, non-dithering colors in this chart more comprehensive. It shows all the colors and hex code to type in. It is a link from the mac daddy of all colors that I use here when doing web or logo color work.

I am now back to 06/21 and my LED comes and goes, with nightly builds, Forrest Gump got it right. "cm11 is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get". :D

HTML:

u5BGgFpZ
    @Ohmster, he said he had the original address on a letter from the IT department, so he's good to go: now spill it! How did you change the MAC using wifical?
    - Brian

What say, Bri? teachme said that his WiFi MAC changed when he flashed cm11 and that is very possible. Not normally a big deal, WiFi MACs are rarely used for wireless access but then can and are used mostly for the workplace. Teachme said his workplace IT department are pricks and will give him a lot of crap about changing it on the router to grant access to his phone. So, he wanted to "change it back". That information is held on the device, in the /pds/wifi/nvs_map.bin file. What wifical.sh does is read that file and restore the MAC addy back to what is in the file.

When I got my replacement phone, Stargo told me to immediately backup my phone's /pds folder and contents to keep it safe.
    Here is a direct quote from teachme to help clear this up:

Yeah they use mac filtering at work and I T are kinda pissy about changing things. WiFi Mac changer works but must be done on every reboot. Thanks for the info above I'll read up. I'm about 3 weeks from an lg g2 so I may just wait and give them that Mac Addy when I get it.

So, he used Wireless Mac Address Changer, NOT wifical.sh to change his WiFi MAC addy. That is a temporary fix and you lose it when you reboot. When I said "I "restored" my original WiFi MAC address and then verified it with screenshot #1 I sent you.", I meant I did the wifical.sh in a root terminal and it was neat to watch, it did "restore" my WiFi MAC addy to what is in the /pds/wifi/nvs_map.bin file. Since my phone is a new replacement, it didn't "change anything" but would have, if my MAC addy had changed. Since I got this phone with insurance, paid $99 for a replacement from money I do not have, I dare not modify my own device because if I wreck it, I will be charged again for a replacement plus lose my insurance for putting in two claims in one year. Next year I could restore the insurance if this did happen.

To permanently change your WiFi MAC Address, is a bit of a procedure, not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. You need the /pds/wifi/nvs_map.bin file, a Hex Editor, and the instructions on how to do it are posted here:
    Modify the MAC address

About ¾ way down the page are "the instructions". They are for a different device and a different situation, but what you have to do is pretty clear. That is why I offered my nvs_map.bin file. It is easier to modify an existing file than to "create one from scratch". Those instructions are clear about what to change, but in NO WAY easy to understand as you have to just use the part about modifying the MSB and LSB part of the number, save it, put it back in the phone where it belongs, reboot, run wifical.sh, done. I don't really think teachme has the experience to perform this but now you have me curious. I want to Hex Exit my own file on my PC just to see "how easy this is". Doing it now, file opened in Hex Workshop and this is scary, man. I am going to try and edit this file but I don't think I want to mess with this replacement phone. I do not have the money to replace it if something goes wrong.

Holy crap, this was rough, man. The instructions by themselves will not help you if you do not know what you are looking for and what you need to replace it with. I just located my own WiFi MAC Address in the /pds/wifi/nvs_map.bin file by opening it in Hex Workshop, and color coding each part of the MAC address to show you where it is. By modifying these values, in order, to what you want the MAC address to be, save the file. Then restore the file to it's original location and permission set, /pds/wifi/nvs_map.bin, system, system rw-rw-r--.

This one jpg picture pretty much is the entire procedure but for saving the file, putting it back, rebooting, and performing wifical.sh one more time. That will do it.

You really got me working here, Bri. Not so much because it is needed right now, nor because you want to know "how I did this" because I didn't actually do it. But the challenge was out, the gauntlet tossed, and curiousity drove me to actually go through with it, other than changing my own device's MAC address because I cannot take the chance of an unforseen failure and having to pay the insurance company again, ship it to me again, and then lose my insurance for one year for putting in two claims in one year. But yes, this will and should change the WiFi MAC address, permanently, SFAIK. And yes, I would do it on my own phone if I were in his situation. ;)

Satisfied? Great. Save this post and picture and there you have your instructions. :D

EDIT:
    For anyone that wants it, I have attached an instruction kit of the image and post in a clickable pdf file all in one zip file as a How-To Change your WiFi MAC Address. Attached File: Permanently_Change_XT912_WiFi_MAC_Address.zip

Since I never saw instructions like this before, might as well post them. One caveat is that you must know the MAC Address you wish to restore and then you can restore it. For anybody that wants to do this, you need a good Hex Editor. What better place to go than Sourceforge? So here is a totally free, 5 star Hex Editor you can download for Windows for free. Hexplorer