[GUIDE] Using the ICS OTA files

Search This thread

f4rell09

Mar 16, 2011
newcastle upon tyne
This is for the UK release, so you're all done!

Just a question eddy, just tried using RUU 1.50.401.1. To debrand my phone which was on 3 UK before..manage to do it successfully, after running Ruu , I lost root and wasn't s off anymore..totally stock..so I tried checking for updates there you go , got ics update.downloaded and installed ics, it went fine..my question is do you normally loose root and s- off by by running RUU??THANKS

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
You don't lose S-OFF flashing an RUU, you would have had to have run the fastboot command. You won't have the Revolutionary HBOOT but it'll be S-OFF

f4rell09

Mar 16, 2011
newcastle upon tyne
You don't lose S-OFF flashing an RUU, you would have had to have run the fastboot command. You won't have the Revolutionary HBOOT but it'll be S-OFF

Ok..thanks...I will check...lots of bugs unfortunately on official ota ics...
your right ! just checked it:: so one more question eddy sorry,,so what is the difference between the OTA file you uploaded here from htc,than the one i got from system update..bcoz im running ics now from the official one, but not yet rooted,,is there any difference??thanks again..as i'm stiil s-off,would you still recommend to flash your ota or stick with the one from htc as i am on ics 4.03 and sense 3.6 already?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

Attachments

• SDC14158.jpg
    SDC14158.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

robhart84

Jan 8, 2012
thanks so much, i was looking to get back to stock so i could get the ics update via the ota method. worked a treat and now updating ota as we speak

vosManz

Oct 11, 2007
Hi,

Thanks for this guide. I try to use it, but after selecting the update file on sd I get an error:
-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I have stock recovery and my phone is s-off.

Does anyone know what the error means, and how I can fix it so I can install the update?

If I install the RUU, do I only use programs, or also program data? For example, if I re-install a game after installing the RUU, is my game progress gone? I don't mind installing all apps again, but I would like to keep the data as there's a lot of time spend there :)

Thanks!

usaff22

Nov 8, 2011
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
Hi,

Thanks for this guide. I try to use it, but after selecting the update file on sd I get an error:
-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I have stock recovery and my phone is s-off.

Does anyone know what the error means, and how I can fix it so I can install the update?

If I install the RUU, do I only use programs, or also program data? For example, if I re-install a game after installing the RUU, is my game progress gone? I don't mind installing all apps again, but I would like to keep the data as there's a lot of time spend there :)

Thanks!
Try turning signature verification off in Recovery, then re-flash. Turn it back on again once finished.

vosManz

Oct 11, 2007
Try turning signature verification off in Recovery, then re-flash. Turn it back on again once finished.

Thanks for your reply, but is this possible in stock recovery? Step 4 of the guide says that stock recovery is required. In recovery, the only options i have are:
- reboot system now
- apply update from external storage
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- apply update from cache.

In CWM i have seen this option, but in stock i can't find it.

Yogimax

Feb 9, 2008
Belfast
Thanks for your reply, but is this possible in stock recovery? Step 4 of the guide says that stock recovery is required. In recovery, the only options i have are:
- reboot system now
- apply update from external storage
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- apply update from cache.

In CWM i have seen this option, but in stock i can't find it.

Likewise - I have tried putting the zip file at the root of the SD card but no luck, and I have also tried to rename it to the PB... etc image name. :confused:

Fatboytail

Dec 19, 2009
I am getting the same issue with Signature Verification

Tried factory reset - no differece
tried updating the RUU - Signature Verification problem
I am rooted, (S-Off) and tried to upload the PG58img file (which worked) but guess what - still getting signature Verification

How to I install the ICU as I also have standard recovery installed now as a result of the guide...

Please can someone advise on what next as I am getting frustrated that I can't get shiney new ..

PS Have UK Sensation XE with beats - not tied to a network.

Hi guys,

I have a weird one here!

My device is a Z710A (with 850-1900mhz 3G).
I had it from stock. then s-off, then put CID htc__001, then the official rom RUU_Pyramid_HTC_Europe_1.50.401.1, then the OTA upgrade to ICS.

after that the device is stuck in the HTC screen.

I tried to install the same rom and other roms and everything is giving me the wrong device ID problem. I change the CID to 11111111 and then back to HTC__001 (the cid of this rom) and nothing works.
I tried to install CWM and it says it's not signed.

I'm out of ideas.

what else can I try?

thanks!

Hi guys,

I have a weird one here!

My device is a Z710A (with 850-1900mhz 3G).
I had it from stock. then s-off, then put CID htc__001, then the official rom RUU_Pyramid_HTC_Europe_1.50.401.1, then the OTA upgrade to ICS.

after that the device is stuck in the HTC screen.

I tried to install the same rom and other roms and everything is giving me the wrong device ID problem. I change the CID to 11111111 and then back to HTC__001 (the cid of this rom) and nothing works.
I tried to install CWM and it says it's not signed.

I'm out of ideas.

what else can I try?

thanks!

Well, I just download a Telstra ROM (the also have 850mhz device) and it's working.
any ideas if this is a radio problem?

thanks guyss!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seeing as there are FAR too many stupid people on this forum I'm going to make this REALLY simple...

*** NOTE*** - This guide assumes you are already S-OFF. If you are not (e.g. 100% stock) then you WILL have to run Revolutionary to get S-OFF before continuing

Original Sensation:

Firstly - you HAVE to be running 1.50.401.1 to use this OTA file. If you're on ANY other build then don't ask about flashing it as I WILL report you to Mods for being a dumbass.

You also have to be 100% stock (e.g. NOT rooted). If you are running a custom ROM you HAVE to use the 1.50.401.1 RUU to get back to stock but you HAVE to leave the phone S-OFF. CID can be whatever you had if you are running x.xx.401.x when you got it new but if you've flashed the RUU coming from another build then set yours to HTC__001 before starting

1. Download the 3.32.401.5 OTA file from HTC - http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_PYRAMID_I...1.50.401.1_release_252072fll6erqo75dsziua.zip. You do NOT have to rename the file
    2. Copy the file to the root of your SD card
    3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on whilst holding the volume down button. If the HBOOT menu doesn'y appear then you need to turn off fast boot in the Settings>Power menu
    4. Select 'Recovery' from the menu to enter the stock Recovery. If CWM loads up, stop now and flash the 1.50.401.1 RUU
    5. When you get to the screen with the red ! on it, hold volume up and press power. It will say 'cant open cache/recovery/command' and then bring up the recovery menu
    6. Select the option to apply an update from your SD card and then select the OTA file
    7. Wait the 10 minutes or so for it to flash
    8. When prompted, reboot the phone
    9. You're now running stock ICS 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6

Sensation XE:

Firstly - you HAVE to be running 1.73.401.4 to use this OTA file. If you're on ANY other build then don't ask about flashing it as I WILL report you to Mods for being a dumbass.

You also have to be 100% stock (e.g. NOT rooted). If you are running a custom ROM you HAVE to use the 1.73.401.4 RUU to get back to stock but you HAVE to leave the phone S-OFF. CID can be whatever you had if you are running x.xx.401.x when you got it new but if you've flashed the RUU coming from another build then set yours to HTC__001 before starting

1. Download the 3.32.401.105 OTA file from HTC - http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_PYRAMID_L...73.401.4_P_release_246589q3t6rh79ci68p68k.zip. You do NOT have to rename the file
    2. Copy the file to the root of your SD card
    3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on whilst holding the volume down button. If the HBOOT menu doesn'y appear then you need to turn off fast boot in the Settings>Power menu
    4. Select 'Recovery' from the menu to enter the stock Recovery. If CWM loads up, stop now and flash the 1.73.401.4 RUU
    5. When you get to the screen with the red ! on it, hold volume up and press power. It will say 'cant open cache/recovery/command' and then bring up the recovery menu
    6. Select the option to apply an update from your SD card and then select the OTA file
    7. Wait the 10 minutes or so for it to flash
    8. When prompted, reboot the phone
    9. You're now running stock ICS 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6 and Beats Audio

Now, this can't really be made ANY clearer. If you can't follow this then you should walk away now as I will not tolerate anyone asking something that is already stated above. If I have actually missed something then please PM me - do NOT post it here in this thread as it's a reference thread

*** EDIT: I've attached the stock recovery taken from the 1.50.401.1 RUU. It's the same as the XE one so will work for all users ***
    Just running some final testing, should be early next week :)
    Heey Eddy, don't know if you saw my thread in the Q&A section about sebastianFM's kernel, i get an error flashing the kernel, could this have something to do with the H-Boot version??

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA

No it won't

Here's the 1.50.401.1 RUU

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BsUXVnUzhTSUJ2TzhUQw
    haha lol, i see you used your "anger" to help other people and make this world better :p

Great job, this should clear up the ICS OTA thread!
    No difference at all, the one on this guide is from the HTC server itself (check the link location)