Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Sypher114

Mar 27, 2014
Ontario
Alright, so one of my buddies that works at T-Mobile, he Claims that as long as your phone is on Stock (Or looks like Stock) you should be able to turn your phone in for a Replacement or towards a different phone with Jump.

Obviously the phone I will be attempting to trade in has its Knox_Warranty flag at 0x1

I am going to try this tomorrow with one of my S4's that I unrooted today and back to 4.3 Stock. Anyone that has been curious on Replacement or upgrading with Jump etc, I should find out tomorrow hopefully. Wish me luck.

I will post results when I get back!

Reactions: elesbb

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
I wouldn't worry. I did a warranty exchange cause the back camera stopped working. All I did was Odin back to stock.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Thought so, but now I'll feel more confident when I go trade mine in

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

TripFlex

Feb 9, 2008
Orlando, FL
smyl.es
I have a friend who works at a store, I asked him if they are told to look for anything (customization, etc) or even check the bootloader.

He said the only thing they are told to look for is water damage, other than that they don't care. All they do when you Jump is send the phone back and i'm assuming TM just erases everything and resets the device before sending it out as a refurb one.

Just upgraded my phone, no problems, you're good to go :)

LoopDoGG79

Feb 26, 2012
Modesto, Cali
I have a friend who works at a store, I asked him if they are told to look for anything (customization, etc) or even check the bootloader.

He said the only thing they are told to look for is water damage, other than that they don't care. All they do when you Jump is send the phone back and i'm assuming TM just erases everything and resets the device before sending it out as a refurb one.

Are you saying, I could return my phone on GE for my jump upgrade and it will be accepted? [emoji33][emoji53]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC running Lollipop

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I'm actually glad to hear this. I may go and flash the latest bootloader so I can have everything up to date.

Just to make sure, if knox IS tripped, it does not effect the status of your warranty through T-Mobile? Meaning if something were to go wrong with my phone I won't have any issues getting a warrant replacement?

TripFlex

Feb 9, 2008
Orlando, FL
smyl.es
Are you saying, I could return my phone on GE for my jump upgrade and it will be accepted? [emoji33][emoji53]

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC running Lollipop

What do you mean return phone on GE?

I'm actually glad to hear this. I may go and flash the latest bootloader so I can have everything up to date.

Just to make sure, if knox IS tripped, it does not effect the status of your warranty through T-Mobile? Meaning if something were to go wrong with my phone I won't have any issues getting a warrant replacement?

I mean I don't know the specifics, i'm sure if you actually asked T-Mobile if it voids the warranty they would say yes, all i'm saying is if you take the phone to use the Jump program they don't even look at the bootloader, most of those guys don't even know how to get into Download Mode let alone check it.

I would say No I don't think you would have a problem, but you never know, the decision is up to you.

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
I mean I don't know the specifics, i'm sure if you actually asked T-Mobile if it voids the warranty they would say yes, all i'm saying is if you take the phone to use the Jump program they don't even look at the bootloader, most of those guys don't even know how to get into Download Mode let alone check it.

I would say No I don't think you would have a problem, but you never know, the decision is up to you.

To confirm what you said earlier, what T Mobile is doing is taking your used phone and doing a complete factory refurb on it. That means a total wipe of the entire memory and a clean now install, as well as replacing worn out body panels like a cracked glass or scratched up plastic peices, etc.

Doing this the way a factory refurb does it that will wipe out Knox and flash counters and custom ROMs and all that jazz. They have equipment that will do what Odin can't. So they don't care.

If you do get a T Mobile store rep who does check the bootloader and makes a big deal out of the Knox flag, just take your phone to another T Mobile store. Or come back to that one the next day and talk to someone else. 9 out of 10 store clerks are not phone nerds like us. They are people with minimal phone training just working a retail sales job. If you get get the 1 phone nerd, another store will have 4 guys who don't even know what a bootloader is.

Once T Mobile takes the phone from you and processes the exchange, they cannot come back later and claim that it doesn't qualify. If they did you can just say you have no idea what they are talking about and their rep inspected prior to the exchange so something must have happened after it left your possession.

Sypher114

Mar 27, 2014
Ontario

Probably won't. You should be able to still send it in for a replacement and get a different model back.
@LoopDoGG79 - Yup I got a different phone via jump so you should be good to go

Reactions: LoopDoGG79

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
What do you mean return phone on GE?

Thanks. I asked in here because two T-Mobile Reps told me if the warranty is void on the phone, then they cannot honor the jump program. And seeing as they are accepting knox tripped devices for the jump program, it seems like knox does not void your warranty.. which makes me like Samsung even more (and T-Mobile) :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To confirm what you said earlier, what T Mobile is doing is taking your used phone and doing a complete factory refurb on it. That means a total wipe of the entire memory and a clean now install, as well as replacing worn out body panels like a cracked glass or scratched up plastic peices, etc.

Doing this the way a factory refurb does it that will wipe out Knox and flash counters and custom ROMs and all that jazz. They have equipment that will do what Odin can't. So they don't care.

If you do get a T Mobile store rep who does check the bootloader and makes a big deal out of the Knox flag, just take your phone to another T Mobile store. Or come back to that one the next day and talk to someone else. 9 out of 10 store clerks are not phone nerds like us. They are people with minimal phone training just working a retail sales job. If you get get the 1 phone nerd, another store will have 4 guys who don't even know what a bootloader is.

Once T Mobile takes the phone from you and processes the exchange, they cannot come back later and claim that it doesn't qualify. If they did you can just say you have no idea what they are talking about and their rep inspected prior to the exchange so something must have happened after it left your possession.
    Alright, so one of my buddies that works at T-Mobile, he Claims that as long as your phone is on Stock (Or looks like Stock) you should be able to turn your phone in for a Replacement or towards a different phone with Jump.

Obviously the phone I will be attempting to trade in has its Knox_Warranty flag at 0x1

I am going to try this tomorrow with one of my S4's that I unrooted today and back to 4.3 Stock. Anyone that has been curious on Replacement or upgrading with Jump etc, I should find out tomorrow hopefully. Wish me luck.

I will post results when I get back!

Probably won't. You should be able to still send it in for a replacement and get a different model back.
    @LoopDoGG79 - Yup I got a different phone via jump so you should be good to go