[Q] starting only from bootloader

Search This thread

hoomel

Dec 28, 2010
Hello,

I am having a rather odd problem with my Nexus 5.

Up until today, I was running ParanoidAndroid 4 Beta 4 with FrancoKernel r47.
Today, a ROM update was released, so I downloaded and flashed the new Beta 5 ROM and current GApps + HellsCore Kernel.
Of course I wiped Cache and Dalvik cache beforehand.

After doing that, the phone does not execute boot commands properly. From the power menu, selecting to boot recovery, the screen turns black and nothing happens. I then switch to the bootloader with the buttons. Starting recovery from there works fine.
Same happens with a normal reboot from both Android and CWMR. The screen turns black, nothing happens. Again, from the bootloader the phone starts fine.

Did I do something wrong with flashing the zips? Or s there any other reason for this behavior?

Also, the HellsCore kernel does not seem to install at all. Tried flashing it a couple of times, but after reboot, the stock kernel is installed.
If someone also has an idea for that, let me know. Otherwise I will ask at HellsCore thread.

Regards,
hoomel

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Redownload the zips, and flash them. If not works change to twrp and try again.

The rebooting issue can be a bug of the cwmr and your current android system.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

hoomel

Dec 28, 2010
I have now redownloaded PA Beta 5 and the corresponding GApps and flashed them again after installing TWRP recovery.

Unfortunately without any change, still no reboot to anywhere without connecting power and doing the magic-button-combo ;)

Would a complete factory reset do any good? Or are ther maybe any remains maybe from hellscore kernel or franco which need removal somehow?

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
I have now redownloaded PA Beta 5 and the corresponding GApps and flashed them again after installing TWRP recovery.

Unfortunately without any change, still no reboot to anywhere without connecting power and doing the magic-button-combo ;)

Would a complete factory reset do any good? Or are ther maybe any remains maybe from hellscore kernel or franco which need removal somehow?

A factory reset is always good when a rom behaves oddly after an upgrade.

hoomel

Dec 28, 2010
A factory reset is always good when a rom behaves oddly after an upgrade.

Just did a factory reset, reinstalled everything including the recovery.

Unfortunately, nothing changed, I still can't reboot like normally.

Any ideas, because I just ran out of them :(

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Just did a factory reset, reinstalled everything including the recovery.

Unfortunately, nothing changed, I still can't reboot like normally.

Any ideas, because I just ran out of them :(

could just be a derp in their last build. there are many ways to get to recovery without using that option in the power menu. for example, there are many free reboot recovery widgets available for free at the play store, or typing reboot recovery into a free terminal emulator.

hoomel

Dec 28, 2010
could just be a derp in their last build. there are many ways to get to recovery without using that option in the power menu. for example, there are many free reboot recovery widgets available for free at the play store, or typing reboot recovery into a free terminal emulator.

I am suspecting that, too. But would that also impact normal startup? If I shutdown the phone via the power menu, I can't even start it up via the power button only. I have to attach the power cord and force the bootloader startup. Same goes with rebooting (normal, recovery and bootloader), rebooting from recovery and as I mentioned, the shutdown and start.

Is this really handled by the ROM?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I am suspecting that, too. But would that also impact normal startup? If I shutdown the phone via the power menu, I can't even start it up via the power button only. I have to attach the power cord and force the bootloader startup. Same goes with rebooting (normal, recovery and bootloader), rebooting from recovery and as I mentioned, the shutdown and start.

Is this really handled by the ROM?

besides that, does the power button work? yea, the rom/kernel handle the startup of the phone. the recovery itself will have a separate kernel. you can always try a different rom to make sure that all is still working like it should(or an earlier build).

hoomel

Dec 28, 2010
besides that, does the power button work? yea, the rom/kernel handle the startup of the phone. the recovery itself will have a separate kernel. you can always try a different rom to make sure that all is still working like it should(or an earlier build).

The power button works without a flaw. Waking phone, calling power menu - everything.

I just flashed LiquidSmooth for testing, behavior does not change.

But one thing I just noticed: I created a backup before flashing LiquidSmooth. Restoring the backup file, I saw that the date of the backup was totally off. It showed February 22nd, 1970 :eek: