[MOD - 6/27] Multitasking Mod *v2* - Improve Multitasking Performance

Search This thread

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
It should improve multitasking performance on any 1.88 Based ROM. It would prolly work on just about any ROM base but TBH but I have only tried it on the 1.88 base.

Version 2 - 6/27/2012
This new version incorporates the values suggested by Calkulin.
You do not need to revert with undo.zip first. You can just flash this over.
Although I have not had time to test this mod in depth I believe it will outperform V1 now knowing what Calkulin has taught!

Version 1
I simply removed these lines from the sh script. Nothing else was touched. The red line is for our device.

Code:
     echo "0,2,4,7,9,12" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj
     case "$hardware" in "elite")
         [B][I][COLOR="Red"]echo "7746,9720,11694,13742,15715,24709" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree[/COLOR][/I][/B]
         ;;
     esac
     case "$hardware" in "ville")
         echo "7946,9953,11960,14008,16015,25108" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree
         ;;
     esac

I have also included an "Undo" zip to replace the .sh file with an original untouched file straight from the stock ROM. You may want to back yours up manually. The file is located in /system/etc/.

You may want to check with your favorite ROM Dev to ensure this mod will not over write any tweaks they have placed in the ROM. This will work on any CleanROM 3.x version.

Needless to say this mod will not make your phone handle 1,000 apps simultaneously but it will allow Android to handle the memory as it would on any other phone without any modifications from HTC.

Hit Thanks!

-Scott

Attachments

• Undo.zip
    145.8 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

dkirchik

Aug 23, 2009
Benicia
I can switch from XDA, angry birds, strike fleet omega, and Facebook. Without any of them needing to reload. So dude you're my hero!!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

thedauntlessone

Sep 18, 2010
Now we can just post this thread link in a semi rude manner when someone compares the GS3 multitasking to the HTC one X multitasking lol

Sent from my HTC One X

You might want to hold on that. The mod improves the multitasking functionality by a bit, but not significantly.

Previously, before this mod, only the last used app will be cached in memory at most. With this mod, I can cache more apps in memory (depends on the apps opened and cached). So far, once the app is 4th place and beyond, the memory is immediately cleared. I'm using it with Kobra rom, but I look forward to Scott's new update to see if multitasking will be improved significantly. I'll be testing it more in the afternoon when I have more time.

Still very useful if you're flipping back and forth between 2 apps and a big thanks like Scott for making for making this mod.

Last edited:

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
I can cache more then that,

Edit I opened a lot of apps and most of them can be cached, the only apps that didn't stay in memory were Facebook and Instagram and that's only because they were coded that way(I think)

Facebook is different because if I cache on news feed it'll redraw but when viewing a picture it'll remain frozen in time.

This mod is fo weal fo weal

Sent from my HTC One X

Reactions: loneBoat

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
My record was 5, 6 if you count lbe privacy guard.

System panel, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, and of course.. xda premium :p

Edit: sorry to keep spamming your thread Scott but I just wanted to say that this mod plus cleanRom dev edition.. is pure win. All the function I really want from sense and not a lick more (maybe that's why my apps cache lol). Plus I don't have to add all my usual favorite tweaks (gradient, themes, etc) all I add to this is the hd YouTube and a little tinkering with cpueditor and I'm cooking bacon.

Beer will be heading your way in short time in the form of a PayPal notification, thank you sir

Tldr= it's awesome

Sent from my HTC One X

Last edited:

slippers67

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks for the mod! I actually edited the sh file on cleanrom 2.6 se and it's working great (didn't want to flash your zip in case the script file from 1.88 is different than the one in 1.85).

Multitasking is noticeably better.

patstock11

Jun 22, 2011
Interested to hear from more people on how well the phone runs with this. I was under the impression that sense is a resource hog and robs ram to run smooth. Allocating more to apps, affected at all ?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
I haven't noticed any difference at all in the Modaco ROM. I'll probably jump back to CleanROM when 3.1 is out to compare.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It should improve multitasking performance on any 1.88 Based ROM. It would prolly work on just about any ROM base but TBH but I have only tried it on the 1.88 base.

Version 2 - 6/27/2012
    This new version incorporates the values suggested by Calkulin.
    You do not need to revert with undo.zip first. You can just flash this over.
    Although I have not had time to test this mod in depth I believe it will outperform V1 now knowing what Calkulin has taught!

Version 1
    I simply removed these lines from the sh script. Nothing else was touched. The red line is for our device.

Code:
         echo "0,2,4,7,9,12" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj
         case "$hardware" in "elite")
             [B][I][COLOR="Red"]echo "7746,9720,11694,13742,15715,24709" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree[/COLOR][/I][/B]
             ;;
         esac
         case "$hardware" in "ville")
             echo "7946,9953,11960,14008,16015,25108" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree
             ;;
         esac

I have also included an "Undo" zip to replace the .sh file with an original untouched file straight from the stock ROM. You may want to back yours up manually. The file is located in /system/etc/.

You may want to check with your favorite ROM Dev to ensure this mod will not over write any tweaks they have placed in the ROM. This will work on any CleanROM 3.x version.

Needless to say this mod will not make your phone handle 1,000 apps simultaneously but it will allow Android to handle the memory as it would on any other phone without any modifications from HTC.

Hit Thanks!

-Scott
    Would that not be a tighter restriction? or am I misunderstanding the values?

Yes, I just copied the wrong text, my mistake since I was in a rush :eek: but to convert those number to Mb's, then just multiply by 4 and divide by 1024

=

The first one is usually foreground apps and last is empty apps(background apps are somewhere in the middle). So in stock form, once memory reachs below 96.52, the OS will start to kill what it calls empty apps and proceed in order trying to recovery memory but if it reaches below 30.25, foreground apps could be killed also. So reducing those values will help to alleviate some of the aggressive memory management that HTC introduced but I'm sure they have also tweaked other memory related things in the framework, so it probably doesn't stop there.

Just for reference, I use this for my phone

adj - 0,1,2,4,7,15
    minfree - 2048,3072,4096,6144,7168,20480
    Ok, I posted version 2 in the Op with Calkulin's recommended settings.

Big thanks to him for educating me on the stock values! Hit his thanks button a couple posts up!

Give her hell!

-Scott
    Yes, I just copied the wrong text, my mistake since I was in a rush :eek: but to convert those number to Mb's, then just multiply by 4 and divide by 1024

=

The first one is usually foreground apps and last is empty apps(background apps are somewhere in the middle). So in stock form, once memory reachs below 96.52, the OS will start to kill what it calls empty apps and proceed in order trying to recovery memory but if it reaches below 30.25, foreground apps could be killed also. So reducing those values will help to alleviate some of the aggressive memory management that HTC introduced but I'm sure they have also tweaked other memory related things in the framework, so it probably doesn't stop there.

Just for reference, I use this for my phone

adj - 0,1,2,4,7,15
    minfree - 2048,3072,4096,6144,7168,20480

Awsome!! I will mod this up this tonight so people can give it a shot! (Or they can manully edit the values)

Appreciate the input!

-Scott