Htc Universal Memory Upgrade.

Search This thread

pigeonking

Apr 1, 2007
Hello,everybody: I am very excited that universal could be updated to 128mb ram. I also ask someone to update for me and he say ok. But right now, I don't know whether it is necessary to update the universal. Because after using the rom from mamaich with my 64mb universal, I feel universal is faster than before. I don't know if i update the ram, could it be more faster. I don't have the problem of running out of memery, with mamaich's rom, everything runs ok and faster than before.
So, my question is, what is the reason that universal faster?? the rom?? the memory??rom + memory???
Could someone have updated the memory make some test for us??
thanks a lot.

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
Anyone who wants their phone upgraded to 128MB can buy the chips from XL Electronics. Then to get them soldered you can have a chat to Joe Tumilty at www.retronix.com (01236) 433345 who will give you a quote per device. Total cost should be around £50...

I dropped their Singapore establishment an email.
Hopefully I can have mine upgraded :)
I hate running things from the SD card, its just so much slower than the ram.

Belka77

Jan 27, 2007
Anybody in Sf Bay area interested in doing the Upgrade project together (finding the chip, finding the solder e.t.c)?

techx

Feb 7, 2006

Hi Waiyaki,

I'm from Singapore too, and do update if Retronix would able to upgrade the RAM in Singapore itself. If the price is right, I don't mind having a 128MB machine myself :)

TQ and regards,

Techx

Guys just to make sure things are clear this is NOT storage ROM!

The upgrade is for RAM. If your using mamaichs ROM you'll have very little RAM left but your phone will seem VERY quick! You need the RAM if your running lots of programs and specially if your using lots of today plugins. You cannot install programs in this extra space.

Many people have issues with memory leakage but with the RAM upgrade the lowest amount of memory I've ever had is 27MB with 21 applications running at the same time i.e. loaded in to memory/RAM

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
I must have gotten the wrong idea, but there is 128M of ROM on our universals right? But if we have things like Wisbar Advance Wisbar Desktop, skins for both advance and desktop of wisbar, then have SPB plus and also pocket breeze the RAM gets rather low.

I seem to loose RAM when I do remote desktop to my servers and have to clear up the temp.

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
Sorry for the newbieish questions... then where are all my contacts, tasks, schedules, emails, SMS and etc stored??

I currently will drain my device with the 4800mAh battery within a day, will the 128mb ram half what I currently can achieve?

Sorry for the newbieish questions... then where are all my contacts, tasks, schedules, emails, SMS and etc stored??

I currently will drain my device with the 4800mAh battery within a day, will the 128mb ram half what I currently can achieve?

The contacts, sms etc. are all stored in the ROM. So far I have noticed a slight decrease in battery life but nothing too serious, certainly not half.

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
The contacts, sms etc. are all stored in the ROM. So far I have noticed a slight decrease in battery life but nothing too serious, certainly not half.

I guess its time to move those installed programs to the Extended ROM :p but still the added RAM will provide more stability in terms of running multiple applications or plugins.

Hopefully I get a reply from them and if the price is reasonable, why not? :)

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
The program I found could hide and unhide it. When unhidden, a soft reset did not hid it back so its ideal for installing apps.

Attachments

• ExtROM.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 48

alexheff

Nov 23, 2007
Memory upgrade

Hi we have these parts in stock, HYB25L512160AC-7.5, which we can supply to you....I can also give you the contact detailsof someone who may be able to do the work for you if you need.

GSM Coolhawk

Feb 29, 2004
Athens, Greece
Please look at this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=346693

it seems (not very clear for me) that you can "upgrade" your Universal only flashing some ROM in particular sequence, that is WITHOUT soldering the chip... Have somebody tried? If yes and really works, could post a more clear procedure? :D

If you read the whole thread you will se that the user doing this have already changed the RAM in his device. What he is saying is that you can use *another* ROM than the one mamaich released, thats all.

Regards