GPS Control Plane settings.. Possible GPS fix

Search This thread

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
When I go to SGS Tools -> Secret Codes -> ServiceMode, Debug, Netz, Audio, Common -> Common -> GPS -> I get two menu items, GPS and GPS MODULE IS IN AP SIDE. Neither is clickable.

Cognition 2.1.6

So is this turning on control plane in SGS Tools froyo specific?

mpencexda

Nov 8, 2010
When I go to SGS Tools -> Secret Codes -> ServiceMode, Debug, Netz, Audio, Common -> Common -> GPS -> I get two menu items, GPS and GPS MODULE IS IN AP SIDE. Neither is clickable.

Cognition 2.1.6

So is this turning on control plane in SGS Tools froyo specific?
It appears that it is related to kernel and or modem

Sent from me to you over wires using only 1's and 0's with the help of my axura B5 with Setiron 1.4.2 1280 oc ext4 lagfix awesomeness

mpencexda

Nov 8, 2010
Can you tell us what "mode" are you using in lbstestmode ? did you leave it as "standalone" or did yous witch it to "ms-based" ?

I decided on msbased

Sent from me to you over wires using only 1's and 0's with the help of my axura B5 with Setiron 1.4.2 1280 oc ext4 lagfix awesomeness

fatbas202

May 15, 2009
Rolla, MO
One more "it's awesome to se Da_G here" comment. I, too, am a former Touch Pro user and was very happy with what you brought to the community and I'm excited to see that we have the same device again.

I'm looking forward to what we will have on these devices when Da_G starts working with Designgears and the other chefs.

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hi guys, did the promised side-by-side GPS test today. I didn't get a chance to capture raw NMEA this time, just used google my tracks. "Use Wireless networks" was turned off, "Use sensor aiding" off. Note that I had to turn on SUPL for the phone GPS as I was not able to get a lock at all under the stock ROM standalone configuration. Otherwise running stock. That change should only affect the lock times.

2 AT&T Captivates, similar "born on" dates, similar internal GPS performance signal-wise, etc. Both set up to JH7 + "GPS Fix" from market. I'll see if I can collect raw NMEA data tomorrow. Both GPS were set up side by side on the dashboard, as close as possible.

AT&T Captivate Track:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...26965825393652.000496745b69eeef7de5f&t=h&z=14

BT338 GPS Tethered to Captivate Track:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...26965825393652.00049673fd50c60e8d690&t=h&z=14

Both Tracks overlaid (anyone know how to get one track as a different color for better visibility? I know you can in g earth..)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...09,-117.346945&spn=0.053451,0.065746&t=h&z=14

The BT GPS can be considered an accurate reference, most of the time it's spot on down to the lane of traffic i'm in. Note that the timestamps on the BT GPS track are off by 3 hours as it's set to eastern time and the other cappy was set to pacific (whoops!)

Looks to me like there is an overzealous interpolation algorithm at play, which tends to yield good results on a straight and narrow path with good signals, but otherwise not the best results.

Last edited:
Reactions: billd104

Da_G

Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Not this time.. I wasn't running over cars in the parking lot or driving across 5 lanes of traffic either :) LOL

One thing this track doesn't show you. Several times the GPS on the Captivate seemingly lost its lock, but did not report that to the OS. As a result it still showed as being locked but it was pretty obvious there was an algorithm at play extrapolating my course from the last known heading/speed. So even though sometimes the tracks look really close to accurate, it might be at that point in time the Captivate GPS was really 10-15 seconds behind, and only drew that part of the track when it caught up. I'll see if I can come up with an easy way to record 2 NMEA streams side by side, and play them back side by side. I know google earth can do a track playback from the timestamps but not sure how it will handle 2. That would make it real obvious just how poor the Cappy GPS performed side by side.

I'm mainly curious to look at the reported signal strength in the NMEA strings when the track goes off course. It seems like the Cappy can do accurate tracking, but only with ideal conditions. I can also run the BT338 GPS in Sirf protocol mode, which shows quite a bit more data, but i'll need to bring the laptop with me for that one :)

rajendra82

Jul 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd be curious for you to try the test another day. I also see this wandering behavior some days, and then on others it seems to lock on, and stay on my location no matter how many turns I make. This seems to happen regardless of cloud cover conditions, with some of the laggy tracking on clear sunny days. I am wondering if this is a clock drift issue, because the app micro second from the market seems to often show me off by 2 seconds from the time server.

bunnsguy

Aug 25, 2010
Georgia
I'm mainly curious to look at the reported signal strength in the NMEA strings when the track goes off course. It seems like the Cappy can do accurate tracking, but only with ideal conditions.

I had one occurrence when my C(r)appy had an amazing several miles when I told it to take to to so and so address and it took me exactly there with no rerouting and no lost signals. I could tell there was no delay in the GPS signals because it would show the road I was coming up on perfectly even when stomping on the brakes because I nearly missed a turn. I just wish this would happen every time.

Last edited:

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008
Da_G!!!! you made my blackjack so much better way back when, I can't wait for you to start tinkering with these captivates. I'm stoked you are here to dev for our phones.

aleadam

Feb 8, 2008
Albany, NY
As I understand, we don't have access to any of the baseband source. This is probably where a large amount of the GPS calculations are handled (It is so with Qualcomm, at least) and so it may not be something we can address. But a good thorough look at the kernel driver(s) should answer that question.
(...)
(edit: taking a quick look at the kernel source it looks like we have a BCM4751 and i'm fairly certain all the relevant calculations are handled in the baseband. The good news is that chipset does support SBAS. I doubt it's properly handling it however, as it doesn't even perform up to the level of a GPS without SBAS. If everything IS being handled in baseband, i'm going to need to get my hands on source code to the radio to fix it, which won't be the easiest thing ever :p)

My feeling is that there is some code there trying to predict the position based on the previous trajectory, instead of giving you the position in real time. Maybe this is normal gps coding, but if that's the case, samsung overdid it.

Looks to me like there is an overzealous interpolation algorithm at play, which tends to yield good results on a straight and narrow path with good signals, but otherwise not the best results.

If the latter is true, then accessing the chip directly from the kernel should allow us to bypass this. Did you have the chance to look at the linux driver? There's thread about it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/linu...dc0bf5ba47d?show_docid=515b3dc0bf5ba47d&pli=1
Do you know what other phones are using the same chip? Maybe we can learn something from those drivers...

skinien

Aug 6, 2010
San Diego
Seems as though you guys are optimistic that the GPS can be fixed with software. Doesnt the fact that the Nexus S had its GPS antenna replaced point to a hardware issue? DA_G, seems like you know what the hell you're talking about; is there anything you're seeing that verifies its just a software issue?

I don't mean to be a pessimist. To me, this phone would be perfect if the GPS worked as well as my old iPhone 3G did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

emuneee

Mar 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
www.emuneee.com
I think the Galaxy S is the only phone using the BCM 4751 GPS chip.

I often notice the "drift" using My Tracks and Google Navigation. It does in fact look like some interpolation issues. Using Google Navigation, the GPS would throw me off road and then slowly bring me back on road as if it was interpolating the path between my current position and the position where it threw me off road. This has to be mostly a bad software algorithm.

Da_G

Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I'm pretty sure the issue is indeed software, rather than a hardware problem like a bad antenna design. But i'm not going to state that for sure until tomorrow's test, that's just an educated guess at this point. I'll capture raw NMEA data from both devices in a clear sky view and obstructed, both moving and stationary. Then compare the signal strengths at the same timestamp in numerous conditions. Just going by my eyeballs at this point the Captivate doesn't seem to be receiving a much weaker signal, rather it's having problems working with the signal it does have.

The BT338 has an excellent antenna (much better than can be found in any mobile phone) so if the signal levels are even close the Captivate should have more than enough SNR to work with.

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
I think the Galaxy S is the only phone using the BCM 4751 GPS chip.

I often notice the "drift" using My Tracks and Google Navigation. It does in fact look like some interpolation issues. Using Google Navigation, the GPS would throw me off road and then slowly bring me back on road as if it was interpolating the path between my current position and the position where it threw me off road. This has to be mostly a bad software algorithm.

No it isn't... Iphone 4 uses the same chipset.

barmanham

Mar 12, 2009
Quick question what GPS software are you using with the BT GPS I got so sick and tired of this GPS I bought the same one for 30 dollars.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Control Plane is an alternative method of accessing the AGPS server from User Plane (SUPL). Control Plane goes over the cellular providers Control Plane (fancy that!) whereas SUPL goes out over the GPRS network (HSPA, 3G, etc.)

For Control Plane to work, the cellular provider has to have in place specific technology intended for use with AGPS. All older AGPS solutions prior to the deployment of SUPL use Control Plane. Basically it's "the old way"

Note that you can obtain the exact same AGPS data through a SUPL connection to the same set of servers AT&T maintains. This is the default setting for "Server FQDN Type" - AUTO Config.

Basically, setting it to AGPS Mode - Control Plane (regardless of other server settings) is the same as setting AGPS Mode - SUPL, SUPL Secure Socket - ON, Server - h-slp.mnc410.mcc310.pub.3gppnetwork.org, Server Port - 7275. AND is also the same as using "Server FQDN Type" - AUTO Config, providing your cellular provider is AT&T (MNC 410 MCC 310).

Note that the specifications for AUTO Config will read the MCC/MNC of your network provider (in my example above, AT&T) and change the mncXXX.mccYYY part to match your providers MNC/MCC. Per the 3gpp SUPL spec, when in a home network, the URL to access for SUPL services is h-slp.mncXXX.mccYYY.pub.3gppnetwork.org, which breaks down to:

h-slp - Home SUPL Location Platform
    mncXXX - MNC of the current network the phone is parked on
    mccYYY - MCC of the current network the phone is parked on
    pub.3gppnetwork.org - A (purposefully) un-registered domain name free for use by cellular providers.

When you are roaming, the URL changes to:
    v-slp.mncXXX.mccYYY.pub.3gppnetwork.org
    where v-slp instead means Visiting SUPL Location Platform.

So, to sum that up, if your cellular provider is following 3gpp SUPL recommendations properly, when you attempt a SUPL connection to h-slp.mncXXX.mccYYY.pub.3gppnetwork.org, your cellular provider should connect you to THEIR provided SUPL server. In the case of AT&T this is fully functional. Note that this will NOT work on Wi-Fi, the DNS will not resolve (since you aren't connected to a cellular network, the ISP you're on will not maintain a SUPL server for you, unless they are just THAT nice)

Note that if you use a program like MarketAccess to change your MNC/MCC to allow access to other markets, the SUPL address will also change (to reflect the altered MNC/MCC) and thus be broken in automatic mode.

Anywho, all of this only affects the initial lock time, when set to MS-Based. (Defaults on the stock ROM to standalone, which doesn't use AGPS at all, and sane people will use MS-Based)

Tracking once you have a lock should NOT be affected by any of these changes.

In case you're wondering where I got my information, it's not my first go-round to this particular party. I did all the legwork for this a bit over a year ago, and put up a compendium post about it in March 2009: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=489887 All the info I reference from the SUPL specifications is obtained by spending hours reading the actual, incredibly boring whitepapers.

I haven't had time to properly devote to the GPS problem for captivate like I have for previous WM devices (I just got the cappy), but i'm guessing there's some errors in either the satellite correlation done in the baseband, or in the driver's interpretation of the output in the kernel code. It might also be the case that the phone is relying on a clock generator that isn't putting out the exact cycles they have it programmed for, thus introducing clock drift into the correlation algorithm. The clock has to be precise and synced up to the GPS clocks in order to properly trilaterate location. This might explain the drift over time and then snapping back to a real location once the clocks are properly synced again. (GPS satellites send the complete information required to sync a clock accurately every 12.5 minutes.)

Do note that the clock i'm referring to is the internal GPS reference clock, which is not related in any way to the time set on the device. Internally, the device does keep track of the offset between GPS time and Device Time, but Device Time is not used in the GPS calculations (a different internal clock is used, and synced to the satellites themselves with each transmission) - Previously it has been suggested that ensuring the phones clock is as accurate as possible would make a difference, but that is not the case (due to it not being the same clock)

Either way, any changes to gps.conf or secgps.conf aren't gonna cut the mustard with this particular issue. Initial fix time and number of initial sats, sure. But once the GPS is fired up and running, and has time to pick up a constellation update from the satellites, you're in the same boat as anyone else.

BTW. You can read the adb logcat output to easily see if your phone is utilizing AGPS. You will get an initial fix with an accuracy of appx. 1500m and the log will show that it is not a GPS fix but instead a network provided location. It will then show this location being injected into the GPS driver (AGPS)
    Hi guys, did the promised side-by-side GPS test today. I didn't get a chance to capture raw NMEA this time, just used google my tracks. "Use Wireless networks" was turned off, "Use sensor aiding" off. Note that I had to turn on SUPL for the phone GPS as I was not able to get a lock at all under the stock ROM standalone configuration. Otherwise running stock. That change should only affect the lock times.

2 AT&T Captivates, similar "born on" dates, similar internal GPS performance signal-wise, etc. Both set up to JH7 + "GPS Fix" from market. I'll see if I can collect raw NMEA data tomorrow. Both GPS were set up side by side on the dashboard, as close as possible.

AT&T Captivate Track:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...26965825393652.000496745b69eeef7de5f&t=h&z=14

BT338 GPS Tethered to Captivate Track:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...26965825393652.00049673fd50c60e8d690&t=h&z=14

Both Tracks overlaid (anyone know how to get one track as a different color for better visibility? I know you can in g earth..)
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...09,-117.346945&spn=0.053451,0.065746&t=h&z=14

The BT GPS can be considered an accurate reference, most of the time it's spot on down to the lane of traffic i'm in. Note that the timestamps on the BT GPS track are off by 3 hours as it's set to eastern time and the other cappy was set to pacific (whoops!)

Just got back from going on a ride trying to do simultaneous NMEA captures from both devices.
    What a nightmare that turned out to be :) I only found one app that will save NMEA data free on
    the market (Aspara), and it's got some horrible programming for the NMEA log buffer.. looks
    like it's doing a copy/dealloc/realloc each NMEA packet to grow the buffer or something, after
    a short period of time the program was entirely non responsive and I lost all that NMEA data.
    :X

Also the Bluetooth GPS providers send location data directly to the LocationProvider as a Mock
    Location (lat, long, alt), pulled from the NMEA strings rather than sending the NMEA strings
    irectly. That means whatever Bluetooth GPS Provider app i'm using would need to support it's
    own saving of the NMEA logs to SD (none of the ones I tried do)

So i'll definitely have to travel with the laptop to collect that from the BT GPS. I'll need to
    find a better app to save raw NMEA data from the captivate's GPS as the Aspara app definitely
    does not work well for that purpose. It does however work fine as long as you don't allow the
    buffer to grow to a point that your phone implodes, and save the NMEA log to SD. I'll see if I
    can get some shorter tracks to work with that. Might be easier to write my own app to capture
    the raw data from the exposed char device :p

So, lacking the raw data for this go-round to anaylze I decided to use what I had to work with,
    my eyeballs! Stuck the BT GPS on the dash and held the Captivate right next to it, monitored
    the BT GPS SV SNR levels with the BT GPS app on another cappyand used GPS Test to monitor the
    same levels on the first cappy. Here's what I observed after about 15 minutes of staring
    intently while on the move:

Signal levels are quite similar, with the BT338 edging the captivate out across the board. The
    difference isn't incredible however, the cappy is still getting more than enough signal to
    perform properly. There's an average difference of perhaps 3dB. Fluctuating between 0 dB
    difference and 6dB difference. On the dB scale that is a significant amount however, for each
    3dB you are doubling the signal. So at a 6dB difference the BT338 is receiving 4x the amount of
    signal that the captivate is. These signal levels fluctuate fast enough that judging it with
    the eye isn't a good measure however, really I need to collect raw NMEA data from both devices
    side by side on a trip with varying circumstances and average it out to get a good idea of the
    signal differences. But my eyeball tells me "negligable"

Interestingly, the small bit of google My Tracks I did today had the Cappy GPS spot on. No
    changes from when I ran the same test yesterday, except that I was tinkering with lbstestmode.

I noted previously that lbstestmode initializes the GPS with a testmode = 1 flag set, that
    isn't set during normal operation. This flag may in fact alter some behavior on the GPS in a
    desirable way! Need more data.

I'll go outside in clear sky view with the laptop, BT GPS, and 2 cappies later today, and see
    if I can collect some NMEA data to look at. I did observe the NMEA output from the captivate is
    non-standard (there are date and timestamps present in the output before the actual $GP****
    NMEA data, and there are a few $P**** proprietary GPS strings that show data such as fixed or
    not, and some record of Tx/Rx counts.)

So to sum this post up, interesting results, NEED MOAR DATA (especially on tracking with
    test mode initialized to true)

[Edit: I'm going to start a new thread shortly just for holding raw GPS data (no anecdotal observations) and instructions how to collect that data. That way we can get a more objective look on whats happening rather than the piles of anecdotal data floating around.]