Tf700 Random Reboots. Anyone else or just me?

Search This thread

echardcore

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Jersey
If this isn't happening to everyone, and seems to occur randomly, isn't it safe to assume that this is a defective device? Can anyone here tell me that they NEVER had a random reboot?

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I've never had a random reboot on my TF700 (had lots of random reboot issues under ICS with my old TF101 though)!

There are so many combinations of hardware, software, ROM, kernel, etc, that it's tough to say that it's definitely a hardware problem. If you revert to stock everything and don't load any apps or reconfigure anything and the reboots still occur, I would say that it's a hardware problem.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: echardcore

echardcore

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Jersey
I've never had a random reboot on my TF700 (had lots of random reboot issues under ICS with my old TF101 though)!

There are so many combinations of hardware, software, ROM, kernel, etc, that it's tough to say that it's definitely a hardware problem. If you revert to stock everything and don't load any apps or reconfigure anything and the reboots still occur, I would say that it's a hardware problem.

What ROM/Kernel are you using?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

I have suggested to you before, reflash full .25 JB firmware. This one has the best kernel and rom to date. Any other custom roms are based on this baby. After flashed .25, just let it run for a week to make sure you have no "reboot" issue then you can flash others on top of this and/or install third party apps.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008

I am running CleanROM Inheritance (and have been since the original CleanROM was first introduced). Had the TF700 from the very first day it was released - actually, I had it shipped, so I didn't have it until a few days after it was released! :)

echardcore

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Jersey
I am running CleanROM Inheritance (and have been since the original CleanROM was first introduced). Had the TF700 from the very first day it was released - actually, I had it shipped, so I didn't have it until a few days after it was released! :)

Annnnnnnnnd have you ever had a random reboot?

I am running stock right now with stock recovery, I think. Except, when I boot into recovery just to see what happens I get the android lying on his back with exclamation point. I want to make sure if I have this RA'ed that they wont give me trouble. Is this what is supposed to happen?

BTW: I do not have root. Now we wait....

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Well, if you don't have any firmware to flash, it's perfectly normal.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Annnnnnnnnd have you ever had a random reboot?

I am running stock right now with stock recovery, I think. Except, when I boot into recovery just to see what happens I get the android lying on his back with exclamation point. I want to make sure if I have this RA'ed that they wont give me trouble. Is this what is supposed to happen?

BTW: I do not have root. Now we wait....

No, never had a single random reboot on my TF700.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
2 reboots in the last week here.
Application caused however...the Tapatalk HD app is causing reboots.

echardcore

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Jersey
well im totally screwed. since they were able to tell it is unlocked I have voided my warranty. I have to pay to have it fixed. Estimate is about $80 plus shipping.

Sucked it up, packed it nicely (with texas air for all you wooters out there), dropped it on the sidewalk while walking to the UPS store, paid for $500 insurance, wondering how this will turn out. lollers!

Last edited:

dmitryu

Jul 9, 2009
I wonder -- if somebody estimated the "fix" to be $80, they should be able to tell what the "fix" is :)

Another observation meanwhile -- I've been traveling for two weeks, with 1-2 hours usage per day, and have not experienced a single reboot issue (one week I used wifi/net, the other I did not). Of course this can be a coincidence, but then the issue might be caused by some home specifics -- wifi/network etc. This could also explain the fact that some people never see it...

echardcore

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Jersey
I wonder -- if somebody estimated the "fix" to be $80, they should be able to tell what the "fix" is :)

Another observation meanwhile -- I've been traveling for two weeks, with 1-2 hours usage per day, and have not experienced a single reboot issue (one week I used wifi/net, the other I did not). Of course this can be a coincidence, but then the issue might be caused by some home specifics -- wifi/network etc. This could also explain the fact that some people never see it...

I have a linksys wrt54g2 with DD-WRT loaded. I don't see how a router can cause a device connected to it, wired or wifi, to reboot. I am willing to accept any answer at this point though. I will report back when I hear back from ASUS hopefully, this week.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
If anyone has suggested this already, I apologize.

I another thread sbdags suggested to a guy who had 2,3 reboots a day to go to Settings > Developer options, check "Force GPU rendering".
worked beautifully for that bloke, hasn't had a reboot in more than a week.
This option is set by default in the latest CROMI versions.

echardcore

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Jersey

I another thread sbdags suggested to a guy who had 2,3 reboots a day to go to Settings > Developer options, check "Force GPU rendering".

Thanks, Yep tried that too. I think it was hardware. The tab should arrive at the service center today. I doubt I'll hear from them until mid/end of week.

Reactions: elfaure

elfaure

This is the fix

This is the fix guys. Worked wonders for me. No more random reboots. Still get app and Asus taskmanager crashes though. Also fixes some BS player and wifi streaming issues.:good::laugh:;)

TF700T 32 GB, JB 4.1.1, Stock Locked Unrooted, 64GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 SDHX, Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB streamer

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

I found it on Transformerforums.com in the 300 section searching for "freeze". Found a short thread on a guy playing cards, gin I think, having random crashes and the same fix cited. If this works for most please get the word out!!:laugh:

Last edited:

dmitryu

Jul 9, 2009
With such non-deterministic issue it must be difficult to pinpoint...
For instance, I havent had any issues for 3 weeks already, ever since I had a couple of weeks travel :)

I hypothesized that absence of problems during the travel had something to do with network/local wifi, but now I'm back home and ok for a week already. So much for the scientific approaches...
Would be funny if I wont have issu;es ever. Nothing was changed in config, no dev options, just the usual work...

Of course it may be some piece of solder finally felling off some pins during handling :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to have them but after a limiting background processes to 4 I have had zero reboots. Also games don't crash anymore. There is something seriously messed up with the memory allocation.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
    Certainly at the beginning of my story I did try factory resets etc., following asus support recommendations.
    Which, while I'm at it, have really impressed me over time with their engineering soundness :)

I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

If it's software -- why recommend exchanging units/bringing to the service -- just admit it is there and ask for patience until they fix it with updates.
    But one should really concentrate effort to fix such things, not letting them to be there for months... If it's hardware -- why recommend doing factory resets, run only supplied applications, etc. -- just run massive exchange/recall without wasting customer's and their time. If they cannot solve it -- return money to everybody/file for bankruptcy/whatever :)

Which is too bad, of course, since otherwise I really like the tablet. That's why I'm still using it -- as long as the issue is quite rare, and I do not use the unit for anything critical it's perfectly usable...

Oh, one support person did write me that their communications with the headquarters was really poor, but I thought over few months this could've been addressed.

How one can carry the business this way and survive is a miracle to me :)

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

While we are at XDA, I have a question -- did anybody try non-ASUS firmware with TF700 and does anybody have any statistics related to the "freeze/reboot" before/after (e.g., was observing/not observing, or was observing/still observing, frequency, etc.)

Thanks!
    I use the TF700 in 70/30 landscape/portrait. I didn't have these random reboots at first, but they started showing up after a failed try at data@sd, and I believe my microSD is acting up. Yesterday and the day before the tablet would reboot after about 15 mnutes of video playing from that card. I reformatted it yesterday -- from NTFS to FAT32 -- and it has been acting nicely so far. No guarantees this is the issue, but I do hope this was my issue. ;) They have been mightily annoying.
    I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

The problem is hard to reproduce, it's plausible that even they don't understand it, especially as their HQ doesn't seem to be interested in feedback from customers or keeping their support staff informed.

I really like your scientific approach to analyze the problem, XDA needs more members doing that (not only for this specific issue, but in general).
    It feels completely random, but I have a feeling that it happens more often when the screen is rotating.
    Almost everytime it crashes, it suddenly switches to a completely gray screen with a black 1-pixel-width line on the left side, from top to bottom.

It looks something like the attachment I posted.

Has anybody else seen this type of crash? Just to note it doesn't happen very often, maaaybe once a week or once every two weeks.

Yes, this is a known problem, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1798217