Update ROM - Data Loss or not

Search This thread

anshumangoyal

Apr 13, 2014
Bengaluru
I am running CM-11 Stable version, which means I am rooted as well as custom recovery. If I update my ROM, will I loose any of my application's data?

e.g. if I upgrade to CM-11 Nightly, will be there any loss of data. Or if I want to install some different ROM's will there be any loss of data.

Is it possible to switch back to Stock ROM (Rooted) without loss of data.

Actually managing phone's data is big pain once you reinstall whole OS, So I am really doubtful here.

GtrCraft

Recognized Developer
Jun 3, 2013
Moto G5 Plus
Xiaomi Poco F1
I am running CM-11 Stable version, which means I am rooted as well as custom recovery. If I update my ROM, will I loose any of my application's data?

e.g. if I upgrade to CM-11 Nightly, will be there any loss of data. Or if I want to install some different ROM's will there be any loss of data.

Actually managing phone's data is big pain once you reinstall whole OS, So I am really doubtful here.

Do you mean with data your storage or your apps, settings? If you install a new rom you always need to wipe data (that is not your internal storage). If you update you only need to wipe cache and dalvik. You can backup apps easily with titanium backup for example

Reactions: anshumangoyal

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
You should always nandroid backup before flashing roms and always keep a local copy of a titaniun backup.

Flashing custom roms dont wipe data. However, you may have to wipe data yourself to get it to boot.

Rule of thumb is:

Upgrading to a new version of the SAME custom ROM, no need to wipe. If you then find something doesnt work, wipe
Changing to a NEW rom, wipe.

This is all covered in the sticky threads. Please click the link in my signature and read the info threads.

Reactions: anshumangoyal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Do you mean with data your storage or your apps, settings? If you install a new rom you always need to wipe data (that is not your internal storage). If you update you only need to wipe cache and dalvik. You can backup apps easily with titanium backup for example
    You should always nandroid backup before flashing roms and always keep a local copy of a titaniun backup.

Flashing custom roms dont wipe data. However, you may have to wipe data yourself to get it to boot.

Rule of thumb is:

Upgrading to a new version of the SAME custom ROM, no need to wipe. If you then find something doesnt work, wipe
    Changing to a NEW rom, wipe.

This is all covered in the sticky threads. Please click the link in my signature and read the info threads.