AT&T on T-mobile S5

Search This thread

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
I would also like to do this, but I just want to clarify something. I just bought an AT&T S5. Brand new, unopened, still in the box. I want to swap it for a T-Mobile S5, as the bootloader is unlocked. If I keep the AT&T SIM card before I sell it, and put it into the new Tmo S5, will I have any foreseeable issues? Will it work just like that, or will I need to retrieve something from my S5 before I swap it?

Thanks.

EDIT: I should clarify that the device is unactivated, and when I do activate it, I will be porting my existing number from Verizon.

That would work. Just pop in your AT&T sim into an UNLOCKED T-Mobile S5. So far, from what I have gathered on these forums, the T-Mobile S5 performs quite well with AT&T. No reception issues like the Note 3 had.

Phoneguy589

May 1, 2011
S.E. Florida
Does the TMo version come unlocked out of the box? Can I go to the mall buy one, pop my sim in it and start using it?

Sent from my At&t Galaxy S4

The TMO GS5 has all the needed ATT LTE Bands no need for a radio flash, I'm using one on ATT now, have gotten LTE from day 1, as stated only requirement is the sim has to be originally activated on a LTE ATT device and that the APN is set properly.

That's not true, you can activate WITH the T-mobile S5 IMEI, if you are on a legacy unlimited plan, they with switch it up to the 4g/LTE unlimited plan. if your on a tiered plan, T-mobile's IMEI IS in their database, see chat below as i confirmed what shows up on my account and have LTE:

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Angela'
Angela: Hi Kyle, I am more than happy to check your plan for you online.
KYLE: thanks
KYLE: and what device shows up on my account
KYLE: and the IMEI
Angela: Here's it say Samsung.
Angela: Is it the wrong one? May I know what phone do you use currently? Is it a smart phone
Angela: ?
KYLE: samsung s5
KYLE: what does it show
Angela: I understand.
Angela: Can you give me the IMEI so I can check on our system.
Angela: You can dial *#06# on your phone to get it.
KYLE: xxxxxxxxxxxx305 (digits removed)
Angela: Thanks! Let me check.
Angela: Yes, the IMEI is the same.
KYLE: ok, does it say anything besides Samsung?
KYLE: and what data plan am i on
Angela: SM-G900T
KYLE: ok, great
KYLE: which data plan am i on
Angela: I'm currently checking
Angela: Your plan is unlimited.
Angela: for $30 a month.
KYLE: LTE?
KYLE: or regular
Angela: LTE
KYLE: excellent, thanks
Angela: What else can I assist you with today?
KYLE: nothing, that's it
Angela: I am glad I was able to resolve your issue the first time you chat in today. Thank you for choosing AT&T. My name is Angela. Have a wonderful night.

keep in mind, SM-G900T is the T-mobile version of the S5, and SM-G900A is the ATT version,. You do, however have to manually add in the LTE APN settings. once that is done, you're golden.

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
That's not true, you can activate WITH the T-mobile S5 IMEI, if you are on a legacy unlimited plan, they with switch it up to the 4g/LTE unlimited plan. if your on a tiered plan, T-mobile's IMEI IS in their database, see chat below as i confirmed what shows up on my account and have LTE:

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Angela'
Angela: Hi Kyle, I am more than happy to check your plan for you online.
KYLE: and what device shows up on my account
KYLE: and the IMEI
Angela: Here's it say Samsung.
Angela: Is it the wrong one? May I know what phone do you use currently? Is it a smart phone
Angela: ?
KYLE: samsung s5
KYLE: what does it show
Angela: I understand.
Angela: Can you give me the IMEI so I can check on our system.
Angela: You can dial *#06# on your phone to get it.
KYLE: xxxxxxxxxxxx305 (digits removed)
Angela: Thanks! Let me check.
Angela: Yes, the IMEI is the same.
KYLE: ok, does it say anything besides Samsung?
KYLE: and what data plan am i on
Angela: SM-G900T
KYLE: ok, great
KYLE: which data plan am i on
Angela: I'm currently checking
Angela: Your plan is unlimited.
Angela: for $30 a month.
KYLE: LTE?
KYLE: or regular
Angela: LTE
KYLE: excellent, thanks
Angela: What else can I assist you with today?
KYLE: nothing, that's it
Angela: I am glad I was able to resolve your issue the first time you chat in today. Thank you for choosing AT&T. My name is Angela. Have a wonderful night.

keep in mind, SM-G900T is the T-mobile version of the S5, and SM-G900A is the ATT version,. You do, however have to manually add in the LTE APN settings. once that is done, you're golden.

This is news to me. Just out of curiosity, what shows up in your online account? Does it show a generic flip phone or the S5?

This is news to me. Just out of curiosity, what shows up in your online account? Does it show a generic flip phone or the S5?

for some darn weird reason, myATT still shows my iPhone 5S, however as you can see from the chat, they did say it is a SM-G900T which is the T-mobile version of the S5. i believe ATT has expanded their database due to BYOD, i know my Nexus 5 shows up as a LG D-820, and when i had my T-mobile Moto X it showed up as the XT1053.

IcOpRo

Nov 30, 2007
Cape Coral
Count me in also, I sold my ATT S5 and bought a TMO version, now I just need to unlock it, any recommendations for websites or services?

Thansk

Kael ruch

Feb 5, 2014
Dhaka
Try dialing *#2263# and make sure automatic is selected. Also go into setting, mobile networks and set it to LTE/GSM/WCDMA

Top Liked Posts