[Q] CM9 Change device name [solved]

Search This thread

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
In the Menu section of Settings-Bluetooth there is an option to "Rename" the tablet.
You may try that.

I can see it as my DHCP client on my router stat. Also when you set up an exchange account, the same name appears.

01.png

Last edited:

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
I did check on my router but appears as "unknown".
I'm sure CM7 had the option to change it. Will have a look.

dubidu

Apr 19, 2006
UK
I'm running my own build of CM9 but don't recall changing anything that will affect that (the "unknown" I'm getting)
Will try with another router and had a look at the code.
Yesterday I did another build using one of the "un-merged" changed to CM which brings lots of extra options in the Settings (like disable the boot animation and other fancy stuff, but don't recall seeing that in there)

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Can you try changing the net.hostname property?

root@android:/ # su -c "setprop net.hostname touchpad"
su -c "setprop net.hostname touchpad"
root@android:/ # getprop net.hostname
getprop net.hostname
touchpad
root@android:/ #

I still don't see the name in my router, but I think is a problem on the router side.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

yep, that should do it, did a quick test on another router and I can see my "touchpad" in the list of devices

Last edited:

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
Has anyone figured out how to change the device name/hostname yet?

One of the frustrating issues with CM9 for those having wifi connection issues was the lack of a way to change the device hostname to something less than 16 characters which many have said helped with certain routers that did not like the really long hostname that CM7 and CM9 come with. Well........

I found a fix for that. LIke I said, one wants to change the hostname to something less than 16 characters. I renamed mine to TouchPad2, since I have two 32 gig pads. All one has to do is use a text editor to add the following line to the build.prop file found in the system folder:

net.hostname=

After the = sign type in whatever name you want your device hostname to be and save the file. Reboot your TP. I have not found anywhere in the CM settings that one can look to see the device hostname changed. Check your router page that shows all device names connect to it.

I added this line after the last line in the build.prop.

Warning, make a safety copy of your build.prop and save it somewhere on your sd card just in case you screw something up. That's it. My router now reports TouchPad2 connected as a wireless device.

Credit for this goes to the CyanogenMod team. I just found it on an obsure page maintained by them.

dcs0582

Mar 1, 2012
Brief solution for CM9 on Touchpad

I've put together a quick and dirty solution page for changing the hostname on a Touchpad running CM9 Alpha2. It has worked on two different 32 GB Touchpads so far.

Unfortunately, the rules for forum noobs prohibit me from posting the link here. :mad:
So much for me trying to be helpful ...

Contact me at jim dot turner at gmail dot com if you'd like the answer.

avinyc

Aug 18, 2011
New York
Is there a way to change Maker and Model in Google play store to show HP Touchpad instead of unknown cm_tenderloin?

I know I was able to do this before in the build.prop, but I've cleared data, rebooted, and the name is still unchanged.

Minor aesthetic issue, but if someone knows the right steps, please share!

Edit: Nevermind, it takes the Google Play store a few hours or days to propogate the change. Old fix editing build.prop still works...

Last edited:

7aditya

Sep 12, 2012
nt worked totally

i followed all steps on terminal having root permision n while checking "getprop net.hostname" it show the changed name bt after restarting the device, again the default name appears .. wat to do ??

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

I'm running my own build of CM9 but don't recall changing anything that will affect that (the "unknown" I'm getting)
Yesterday I did another build using one of the "un-merged" changed to CM which brings lots of extra options in the Settings (like disable the boot animation and other fancy stuff, but don't recall seeing that in there)

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

getprop net.hostname
touchpad

I still don't see the name in my router, but I think is a problem on the router side.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

yep, that should do it, did a quick test on another router and I can see my "touchpad" in the list of devices

i followed all steps on terminal having root permision n while checking "getprop net.hostname" it show the changed name bt after restarting the device, again the default name appears .. wat to do ?? .. 7aditya

Slash_Network

Oct 23, 2012
To rename the name of your android device on CM9.1 : Go to "Settings" ==> "Developper Options" ==> "Device hostname" ;)

Edit : Restart your wifi's phone adaptator to take effect :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

One of the frustrating issues with CM9 for those having wifi connection issues was the lack of a way to change the device hostname to something less than 16 characters which many have said helped with certain routers that did not like the really long hostname that CM7 and CM9 come with. Well........

I found a fix for that. LIke I said, one wants to change the hostname to something less than 16 characters. I renamed mine to TouchPad2, since I have two 32 gig pads. All one has to do is use a text editor to add the following line to the build.prop file found in the system folder:

net.hostname=

After the = sign type in whatever name you want your device hostname to be and save the file. Reboot your TP. I have not found anywhere in the CM settings that one can look to see the device hostname changed. Check your router page that shows all device names connect to it.

I added this line after the last line in the build.prop.

Warning, make a safety copy of your build.prop and save it somewhere on your sd card just in case you screw something up. That's it. My router now reports TouchPad2 connected as a wireless device.

Credit for this goes to the CyanogenMod team. I just found it on an obsure page maintained by them.

edit: answer can be found here:

http://ergh.org/cmtp/

getprop net.hostname
    touchpad