Need to flash boot.img after HTC Dev Unlock

Search This thread
Yesterday, I was given a Wildfire S to put on a custom ROM. It was actually my younger sister's and while she was perfectly happy with it performance wise, the internal memory's a joke - some 150 MB!!

So i promptly proceeded to amaze her with the flamboyant show of HTC Dev unlock, followed by rooting and CWM recovery. Then i downloaded a ROM with A2SD built in, placed it on the sd card, partitioned the sd card to support an A2SD partition and a linux swap partition, and flashed the zip after a full wipe. After flashing the new ROM, i was all but ready to flash boot.img from fastboot, i decided to scare her by trying to boot without that and get the phone to hang on the splash screen, then extort a treat from her to get it to boot!!

That's when it hit me in the nuts. It booted! So i attributed it to the ROM being a Sense ROM, able to run on the stock kernel - so i went and checked the phone info - and there it was - a custom kernel!! The same that was included in the ROM zip.

This got me thinking - is it only us that have to flash the boot.img separately? Why can the WFS guys flash custom kernels from recovery itself? I thought the HTC Dev Unlock method prevents you from writing to the boot partition??!!

Maybe Tectas can shed some light on this - I see you're also a WFS guy. Any thoughts on this guys?

EDIT : I'm so sorry this got posted in the Themes and Apps section. Have requested it be moved to the General Section. Goofed up with the tabs on my browser and ended up creating this thread in the wrong section. Sorry guys!!

Last edited:
That's strange then :)
did you use 4ext?

Edit: saw you already mentioned cwm

Swyped from my Desire S waiting for Kernel 3, WAKE UP HTC

I would have used 4EXT in the blink of an eye - problem is, 4EXT doesn't support the Wildfire S currently. The currently supported devices are : HTC Sensation / XE, Incredible S / 2, Desire Z / G2, Desire S, Desire, Desire HD, Inspire 4G, myTouch 4G, Nexus One, Thunderbolt, Evo 3D GSM / CDMA, Amaze

Back to topic : anyone else used any other HTCDev Unlocked device who can flash kernels from recovery?

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
I'm more or less a wfs guy^^
My gf got one and i take care of their index thread, but i'm pretty less active there since my 2. girly was born.
Also hers is xtc s-offed, because there was no htcdev unlock when she got it and she doesn't let me play that much with it.

I wonder that it was flashed from cwm directly without fastboot, but there are 2 possibilities coming to my mind how this could be possible.

1. Their cwm is an unofficial implementation made by alquez as far as i know, could be that he already made what madmaxx is atm working on.

2. Because the wfs isn't a popular device and they even needed a petition to get at least the htcdev method to unlock their bootloader aside from xtc (for sure only at gsm devices, the wcdma wfs has other possibilies to unlock), htc could have given them a little goody and removed the /boot restriction for recovery.

No matter which case fits, there are many devices needing to flash the boot.img when htcdev was used (i.e. the htc one x also has this restriction at recovery).

Last edited:
Reactions: enigmaamit
My gf got one and i take care of their index thread, but i'm pretty less active there since my 2. girly was born.
Also hers is xtc s-offed, because there was no htcdev unlock when she got it and she doesn't let me play that much with it.

I wonder that it was flashed from cwm directly without fastboot, but there are 2 possibilities coming to my mind how this could be possible.

1. Their cwm is an unofficial implementation made by alquez as far as i know, could be that he already made what madmaxx is atm working on.

2. Because the wfs isn't a popular device and they even needed a petition to get at least the htcdev method to unlock their bootloader aside from xtc (for sure only at gsm devices, the wcdma wfs has other possibilies to unlock), htc could have given them a little goody and removed the /boot restriction for recovery.

No matter which case fits, there are many devices needing to flash the boot.img when htcdev was used (i.e. the htc one x also has this restriction at recovery).

That's the thing... the CWM recovery I used was downloaded and flashed using ROM Manager... so it's the original one by koush. I really don't see why HTC would do something like give the WFS an unlocked boot while deny it on other devices....? There must be something else to it.

The last thing I am willing to believe is that HTC took pity on the WFS owners and did this as a kind gesture. HTC is a corporation - a device manufacturing machine.... and just like any other, it may be good at what it does, but it does not have a heart. None of them does.

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
That's the thing... the CWM recovery I used was downloaded and flashed using ROM Manager... so it's the original one by koush. I really don't see why HTC would do something like give the WFS an unlocked boot while deny it on other devices....? There must be something else to it.

The last thing I am willing to believe is that HTC took pity on the WFS owners and did this as a kind gesture. HTC is a corporation - a device manufacturing machine.... and just like any other, it may be good at what it does, but it does not have a heart. None of them does.

Could for sure be something else behind it.

Never wanted to say they would have done it as a kind gesture (i totaly agree that such a corporation got no heart at all), more to calm them down and keep them up buying htc products, because there where many disappointed wfs users (the petition they made even where featured at the xda portal).
If this is the case why the /boot partition got no write restrictions, i guess it's related to marketing not kindness.

Reactions: enigmaamit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Could for sure be something else behind it.

Never wanted to say they would have done it as a kind gesture (i totaly agree that such a corporation got no heart at all), more to calm them down and keep them up buying htc products, because there where many disappointed wfs users (the petition they made even where featured at the xda portal).
    If this is the case why the /boot partition got no write restrictions, i guess it's related to marketing not kindness.