linux on htc magician

Search This thread

header2k

hello,

i'd like to test the images from post 136:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5110810&postcount=136

but what else do i need - i assume:
- 2 partitions: 1 fat (primary), 1 ext2 (primary) ?
- unzip the images to ext2 ?
- haret.exe
That's right

but what default.txt / startup.txt ?
- what about a zimage file ?

thank you

startup.txt and kernel are included and should be in the same folder as HaRET.exe

If someone wants to build their own Linux images, they should take a look at the openembedded Wiki.

P.S.:
My xda mini is dead and i stopped building new images.

Last edited:

baal_zebub

Apr 6, 2008
That's right
startup.txt and kernel are included and should be in the same folder as HaRET.exe

if i use startup.txt and kernel provided in this package "Angstrom-x11-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-stable-magician.rootfs.rar" i just get a white screen:
1. linux starts - console says a few lines - last line is "jumping to kernel"
2. then screen fades to white and stays like this

i had this white-screen with a lot of linux packages already. But i know i don't have this, when i use a older zImage. So i replace the zImage by version r13 "zImage-2.6.21-hh20-r25-magician.bin"

Now it looks different: screen goes also white - but the console returns immediately.
the boot process seems to start. it writes a lot of lines (what hardware found etc.) , then ends with:
VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
freeing init memory: 84K
kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

Any advice ?

Thanx!

pc2005

Nov 5, 2012
Working 3.4.0

if i use startup.txt and kernel provided in this package "Angstrom-x11-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-stable-magician.rootfs.rar" i just get a white screen:

i had this white-screen with a lot of linux packages already. But i know i don't have this, when i use a older zImage. So i replace the zImage by version r13 "zImage-2.6.21-hh20-r25-magician.bin"

Now it looks different: screen goes also white - but the console returns immediately.
the boot process seems to start. it writes a lot of lines (what hardware found etc.) , then ends with:

Any advice ?

Thanx!

Hello (everybody),
I managed to boot Magician with nearly latest vanilla kernel (~3.4.0). Problem with whitescreen is mostly with power GPIO initialization (working hh-version wasn't long/never in vanilla tree). After some other changes in source code I was able to boot into console (X server intentionally disabled), using usb-client emulation of ethernet, irda (with little success only - bad PC dongle).

I think it would be in small time possible to run full X server, but there is problem with my Magician. In one test it fell disassembled on the floor and LCD connector plastic stripe is damaged (2-3 wires on both sides).

Is Linux on Magician still desired topic so I can try repair LCD stripe and finish vanilla kernel patches? (But even when it is I don't know if I can this stripe successfully repair.)

is it possible to return to Windows (Cotulla or Windows mobile) in case if experiment with Linux fails?
Yes it is, if you boot with haret.exe and not touching internal flash ;). Just press HW reset button.

P.S. Sorry for bad english.

notime2d8

Jul 31, 2007
Birmingham
Hello (everybody),
I managed to boot Magician with nearly latest vanilla kernel (~3.4.0). Problem with whitescreen is mostly with power GPIO initialization (working hh-version wasn't long/never in vanilla tree). After some other changes in source code I was able to boot into console (X server intentionally disabled), using usb-client emulation of ethernet, irda (with little success only - bad PC dongle).

I think it would be in small time possible to run full X server, but there is problem with my Magician. In one test it fell disassembled on the floor and LCD connector plastic stripe is damaged (2-3 wires on both sides).

Is Linux on Magician still desired topic so I can try repair LCD stripe and finish vanilla kernel patches? (But even when it is I don't know if I can this stripe successfully repair.)

Yes it is, if you boot with haret.exe and not touching internal flash ;). Just press HW reset button.

Yes, you should continue this project!!! What OS are you going to run once you get the kernel perfect? I know some people are still interested in this but might not visit this forum daily and a lot of people just read the forums and not comment on them.

Reactions: asim.sidz

pc2005

Nov 5, 2012
Yes, you should continue this project!!! What OS are you going to run once you get the kernel perfect? I know some people are still interested in this but might not visit this forum daily and a lot of people just read the forums and not comment on them.
Wow I actually didn't expect any answer :D. I got my Magician nearly for free, because of wearing-out of hardware and case, so it is possible that it fall apart before working system (actually i don't even know how to repair LCD without high risk of total destruction).

With this basics I didn't think much about final OS, but my kernel debugging ran with one of OpenMoko distribution (with hh kernel tree) from this forum. Actually userspace is irrelevant for me and it can be even custom distribution (I don't know which or if some applications are without GPL'ed source and if is possible to make calls with OM). Maybe some other GUI programmer can do this ;).

Reactions: notime2d8

iRiKi

Jul 27, 2007
Lisbon
Wow I actually didn't expect any answer :D. I got my Magician nearly for free, because of wearing-out of hardware and case, so it is possible that it fall apart before working system (actually i don't even know how to repair LCD without high risk of total destruction).

With this basics I didn't think much about final OS, but my kernel debugging ran with one of OpenMoko distribution (with hh kernel tree) from this forum. Actually userspace is irrelevant for me and it can be even custom distribution (I don't know which or if some applications are without GPL'ed source and if is possible to make calls with OM). Maybe some other GUI programmer can do this ;).

That would be AMAZING!! I have the phone sitting idle at home, and creating a new kernel would open up a whole world of possibilities ;)

pc2005

Nov 5, 2012
Done! I managed to boot into my own "distribution". It does not have any useful software, but it works (kind of :D).

Bootup sequence:
1) Boot into windows mobile (tested with sdhc card patch).
2) Create two partitions on SD card (FAT for windows mobile and ext2 for linux).
3) Copy haret and kernel image into FAT
4) Copy rootfs into ext2
5) Boot into windows mobile
6) Attach USB between Magician and LINUX (!) machine
7) Run haret from FAT
8) Linux should start booting if not power reset and start from 1) (or maybe you have different revision?, LCD=samsung)
9) REPLUG usb cable (usb GPIO is not implemented, windows sets that)
10) On Linux machine set ethernet over usb: ifconfig usb0 192.168.4.1 up (you can set NAT too)
11) You should be able to login over SSH with user/pass=root/pokus
12) Xorg -noreset -retro & export DISPLAY=:0; xeyes &

Root filesystem is here: ulozto dot net/x6P845U8/to-okias-tar-bz2 . Kernel is 3.7 (patched vanilla) but I heard, some of my patches are not required in 3.11+.

Touchscreen data are a bit unstable (developer's version) I will try to improve them (or update to 3.11).

Are there some hardware hackers, who owns Magician? I need help with certain things (for example data chip (1 wire PIC used as eeprom?) from my battery burned so I cannot use it). Of course if someone willing to send me a spare battery I will not refuse ;).

I would like to know if touchscreen works for everyone other (if you paint rectangle, does cursor really move in rectangle, etc..)?

If someone wants patches against 3.7 please send me e-mail.

iRiKi

Jul 27, 2007
Lisbon
Done! I managed to boot into my own "distribution". It does not have any useful software, but it works (kind of :D).

Bootup sequence:
2) Create two partitions on SD card (FAT for windows mobile and ext2 for linux).
4) Copy rootfs into ext2
7) Run haret from FAT
8) Linux should start booting if not power reset and start from 1) (or maybe you have different revision?, LCD=samsung)
10) On Linux machine set ethernet over usb: ifconfig usb0 192.168.4.1 up (you can set NAT too)

Root filesystem is here: ulozto dot net/x6P845U8/to-okias-tar-bz2 . Kernel is 3.7 (patched vanilla) but I heard, some of my patches are not required in 3.11+.

Touchscreen data are a bit unstable (developer's version) I will try to improve them (or update to 3.11).

Are there some hardware hackers, who owns Magician? I need help with certain things (for example data chip (1 wire PIC used as eeprom?) from my battery burned so I cannot use it). Of course if someone willing to send me a spare battery I will not refuse ;).

I would like to know if touchscreen works for everyone other (if you paint rectangle, does cursor really move in rectangle, etc..)?

My phone is dead, and I'm also in the middle of some huge final college year assignments.. will take a while to test this ;) But great work nonetheless!

cest73

Mar 2, 2009
excellent job!
congratulation!
Just make sure to make an HOWTO of the whole process :) ?
My magician is lurking somewhere around the drawers, need to revive it again...
just keep up man, hang in there! :D

pc2005

Nov 5, 2012
Success, camera has been enabled!

Kernel patches will be released soon along with root filesystem.

For anyone interested in linux kernel hacking: i2c-pxa is not working and i2c gpio must be patched (probably uncompatible start, restart and stop sequentions). Default drivers (soc_camera+pxa_camera+ov9640) are stable just enough to build and are missing some v4l2 functions. I think it even crashes with debug enabled.

If anyone is interested maybe I will need some help, because color matrix in kernel is bad (swapped red and blue channels) and there is not any deep documentation.

cest73

Mar 2, 2009
look who's been busy lately :D

@pc2005,
I would recommend to post the patches in more than one single place, it is sadly common practice while surfing lately, to find discontinued hosting and code lost to "bit-rot"...
;)
Also I see You are going deep :good:
:D
Keep up with the good stuff (hope someone comes to help soon...)

Reactions: lolerpro8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Working 3.4.0

Any advice ?

Thanx!

Hello (everybody),

is it possible to return to Windows (Cotulla or Windows mobile) in case if experiment with Linux fails?

Bootup sequence:
    4) Copy rootfs into ext2
    7) Run haret from FAT

Hello (everybody),

look who's been busy lately :D

@pc2005,
    I would recommend to post the patches in more than one single place, it is sadly common practice while surfing lately, to find discontinued hosting and code lost to "bit-rot"...
    ;)
    Also I see You are going deep :good:
    :D
    Keep up with the good stuff (hope someone comes to help soon...)