[Q] Question and Rant about getting custom recovery and flashing custom roms

Search This thread

carlofabyss

Jul 13, 2014
San José
So i'm well aware that the 4.3 ota has screwed over a lot of us galaxy sIII verizon users. I used to happily install custom roms over CWM Recovery. Trust me, I know this has been asked time and again but there is a twist to my post so bare with me if you are one of those people with the fame of suggesting a feeble search when searching for a post with a similar topic in this case (as in related to this particular topic) usually just causes more confusion with an assortment of vague answers from the same people who suggested the search. Anyway, I am another dummy who installed 4.3 ota after running into some problems that led me eventually to reflash stock and to my dismay I accidentally used the 4.3 rom. It goes without saying what kind of problems I had to deal with after that, especially trying to deal with the ugly touchwiz interface.

SO MY QUESTION. Is there any progress from any devs that would suggest a fix in the near future? I am highly doubtful of this, and am pretty much considering dumping this phone altogether. But if someone can at least humor me, or suggest an alternative phone on the verizon network that is worth the but, and doesn't bring with it the problems that I have now, that would be great, I'm all ears.

I know current solutions consist of safestrapping (touchwiz based only roms as far i've read), or just rooting and installing mods to ease the situation. I've also read about other possible exploits like lokis which as far I know went nowhere.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
So i'm well aware that the 4.3 ota has screwed over a lot of us galaxy sIII verizon users. I used to happily install custom roms over CWM Recovery. Trust me, I know this has been asked time and again but there is a twist to my post so bare with me if you are one of those people with the fame of suggesting a feeble search when searching for a post with a similar topic in this case (as in related to this particular topic) usually just causes more confusion with an assortment of vague answers from the same people who suggested the search. Anyway, I am another dummy who installed 4.3 ota after running into some problems that led me eventually to reflash stock and to my dismay I accidentally used the 4.3 rom. It goes without saying what kind of problems I had to deal with after that, especially trying to deal with the ugly touchwiz interface.

SO MY QUESTION. Is there any progress from any devs that would suggest a fix in the near future? I am highly doubtful of this, and am pretty much considering dumping this phone altogether. But if someone can at least humor me, or suggest an alternative phone on the verizon network that is worth the but, and doesn't bring with it the problems that I have now, that would be great, I'm all ears.

I know current solutions consist of safestrapping (touchwiz based only roms as far i've read), or just rooting and installing mods to ease the situation. I've also read about other possible exploits like lokis which as far I know went nowhere.
No known progress, could be some progress behind the scenes. Remember, if someone does find an exploit for the s5 the s3 will likely have the same vulnerability. Nobody is going to tell anybody they're working on it.

Only phones I know of that can be unlocked are the HTC m7 and m8. I think all other phones are locked, but maybe the LG phones can be unlocked.

poppers162

Nov 4, 2012

Most Motorola Droids are unlock able now! I had a Motorola RAZR m before this phone, and when the new kitkat update rolled out, the old bootloader came back in, allowing you to root with towelroot and unlock your bootloader with the motopocalypse app! Check them out. Droid RAZR m is pretty cheap. Definitely worth it if you like customizations.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: BadUsername

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Most Motorola Droids are unlock able now! I had a Motorola RAZR m before this phone, and when the new kitkat update rolled out, the old bootloader came back in, allowing you to root with towelroot and unlock your bootloader with the motopocalypse app! Check them out. Droid RAZR m is pretty cheap. Definitely worth it if you like customizations.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app