unlocked boot loader S5

Search This thread

jimsond

Dec 1, 2012
Will the S5 on T-Mobile boot loader unlocked? And I need a 32gb. I want to get a new phone that has the boot loader unlocked.I may jump ship and go to the Sony Xperia Z2

CrashTestDroid

Jul 12, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8
Will the S5 on T-Mobile boot loader unlocked? And I need a 32gb. I want to get a new phone that has the boot loader unlocked.I may jump ship and go to the Sony Xperia Z2

Forget about the Z2, wait and see what the OnePlus (AKA the first Cyanogenmod partnership with hardware) has to offer :)
Former Oppo engineers + CM = awesome

The only reason to get a Samsung is the incomparable SAMOLED.

Last edited:

justintime001

Dec 7, 2013
its confirmed unlocked 100% if u want root and dont care about knox bit us chainfires autoroot -beanstown

Sent from my SM-G900T

I'm pretty sure the boot loader is LOCKED on AT&T or any other US Carrier, aside from a TBA release of the Verizon Developer Version of the S5. He asked about the Bootloader, not the SIM card slot. The international version, apparently has an unlocked boot loader (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but will only work at HSPA+ speeds assuming your nearby network supports the speed, otherwise you'll be getting standard 3G speeds and I know for a fact that there's a huge difference. I own the Nexus 5, Moto G, and LG G2 (AT&T) and the Moto G is only 3G. It gets excellent reception when I pop the SIM card in it, but it's definitely sluggish (most notably with web apps, cloud sync, and interruptions in streaming music from Google Music).

I would buy the S5 Unlocked Bootloader in a SECOND if it's hardware supported domestic (USA) LTE bands for AT&T.

**Does anyone know if there is even a variant on earth right now that you can unlock the boot loader on, that also is fully compatible with AT&T speeds?**

Because if not, I'm probably going to get the Moto X gsm dev edition today before midnight (big sale) or the HTC One M8 if I can get my hands on a Google Play Edition, but they've been out of inventory on Google Play every time I check. I simply want the S5 that is unlockable because it has a user replaceable battery, which means adding an extended battery. It also has a microSD card slot that allows you to use up to a 128GB micro-SD card. Honestly, how much better than that does it need to get? Oh yeah, an unlocked bootloader so we can workaround SD-card limitations KitKat has introduced - the details of which I am not fully aware of yet.

Thanks for anyone that responds that can link me to a reputable source to confirm...that or a fellow dev&member on XDA that clearly knows their stuff.

Cheers,
Justin

icebear8

Aug 5, 2010
Des moines ia
I'm pretty sure the boot loader is LOCKED on AT&T or any other US Carrier, aside from a TBA release of the Verizon Developer Version of the S5. He asked about the Bootloader, not the SIM card slot. The international version, apparently has an unlocked boot loader (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but will only work at HSPA+ speeds assuming your nearby network supports the speed, otherwise you'll be getting standard 3G speeds and I know for a fact that there's a huge difference. I own the Nexus 5, Moto G, and LG G2 (AT&T) and the Moto G is only 3G. It gets excellent reception when I pop the SIM card in it, but it's definitely sluggish (most notably with web apps, cloud sync, and interruptions in streaming music from Google Music).

I would buy the S5 Unlocked Bootloader in a SECOND if it's hardware supported domestic (USA) LTE bands for AT&T.

**Does anyone know if there is even a variant on earth right now that you can unlock the boot loader on, that also is fully compatible with AT&T speeds?**

Because if not, I'm probably going to get the Moto X gsm dev edition today before midnight (big sale) or the HTC One M8 if I can get my hands on a Google Play Edition, but they've been out of inventory on Google Play every time I check. I simply want the S5 that is unlockable because it has a user replaceable battery, which means adding an extended battery. It also has a microSD card slot that allows you to use up to a 128GB micro-SD card. Honestly, how much better than that does it need to get? Oh yeah, an unlocked bootloader so we can workaround SD-card limitations KitKat has introduced - the details of which I am not fully aware of yet.

Thanks for anyone that responds that can link me to a reputable source to confirm...that or a fellow dev&member on XDA that clearly knows their stuff.

Cheers,
Justin

I thought the T-Mobile s5 has a unlocked bootloader?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
It is confirmed that the T-Mobile S5 is bootloader unlocked and can work on ATT network and get ALL frequency bands that ATT uses. Just check out the T-Mobile S5 Subforums.
They already have root, recovery via TWRP or some others, just not a lot of Roms yet. I follow the T-Mobile and ATT forums in case I upgrade from my S4.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

Reactions: justintime001

rsmolen

May 7, 2011
are you sure? someone please confirm.

I can also confirm that T-Mobile's bootloader is unlocked. I have a T-Mobile S5, which I have rooted and installed TWRP and am running AllianceRom (from the international forum, so you are not limited to the roms in the T-Mobile S5 forum).

I actually also have sim unlocked the phone and am using Straight Talk (AT&T) service. I get full AT&T speeds, including LTE.

justintime001

Dec 7, 2013
:cool: Questions about S5, will soon be passing on LG-G2, as awesome as it is.

It is confirmed that the T-Mobile S5 is bootloader unlocked and can work on ATT network and get ALL frequency bands that ATT uses. Just check out the T-Mobile S5 Subforums.
They already have root, recovery via TWRP or some others, just not a lot of Roms yet. I follow the T-Mobile and ATT forums in case I upgrade from my S4.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

I can also confirm that T-Mobile's bootloader is unlocked. I have a T-Mobile S5, which I have rooted and installed TWRP and am running AllianceRom (from the international forum, so you are not limited to the roms in the T-Mobile S5 forum).

I actually also have sim unlocked the phone and am using Straight Talk (AT&T) service. I get full AT&T speeds, including LTE.

Thanks for answering guys! I do have another question. I've been looking on swappa.com and even T-Mobile's website and I've yet to see a 32GB version of their S5. Since it has yet to be released, I wonder if it will have a locked bootloader when it is released, does anyone know when the 32GB version is supposed to be on sale? I assume it will ship with 4.4.3 or something. I did not end up getting the Moto X, so it's going to either be the M8 or the S5 and I just saw an article on the internet that the S5 GPe was put onto the play store and pulled very quickly sometime last week. M8 has 32GB, but no user-replaceable battery. S5 has 16 GB but can replace the user battery. I suppose with a fast and large enough microSD card, you wouldn't experience noticeable lag if you used your microSD card to store everything aside from commonly used/accessed apps/data.

Can I just go to a T-Mobile store or online and purchase an S5 outright? Given that it has an unlocked bootloader? I heard that some one people got the Verizon or Sprint version and they were able to use on the ATT network (apparently some of them are unlocked) but apparently having gotten the Verizon version means they can't use T-Mobile ROMs. How much different is the hardware? I feel silly for asking this question because I'm pretty confident I know the answer but it's a lot of money to shell out: doesn't unlocking the bootloader mean you can literally install almost any type of OS or ROM or Kernel to your device? Assuming you can support it yourself or the community has created ROMs that support it?

Last question of the least importance: Anyone running a hybrid HTC Sense from the M8 on their S5? I know there aren't many T-Mobile ROMs for the S5 yet, but I figure this is the best place to ask them since you guys really know what you're talking about.

Thanks everyone! If I DO come across the answers to my own questions, I'll post them myself.
-Justin

BTW! if anyone wants to buy an AT&T LG-G2, I have one in perfect condition that is sparingly used. I'm not going to post on swappa.com until I know for sure what device I'll be buying. However, I am willing to make a listing for anyone that truly wants an LG-G2 so we can make the transaction and I can ship the LG-G2 immediately after everything goes through.

darthmalus

Sep 6, 2007
Rantoul

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Cheers,
Justin

their is a thread on the GS5 general section on xda that delvs into turning on dormant LTE bands on international devices

[GUIDE] Add all GSM and LTE bands to your phone " keyword "

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    are you sure? someone please confirm.