Screen Flicker - Response from HTC

Search This thread

faizalmzain

Feb 26, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
seems there are different types of screen flickers...

i experienced once something like a bad analog tv reception on a very small rectangular portion in the upper left corner when using the browser. you couldn't figure out what was "underneath" it.

it disappeared the same way it appeared...out of the blue
It's happened to me once and never came back since then.

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
I get that flicker only at lock screen when the notification lock screen its select it. Other than that none. So I can't use that lockscreen

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Again another suggestion towards software... I mean if it was hardware controlling the problem it would be happening pretty much all the time on all the screens of the device. If its software controlling the hardware then it would be intermittent and happening in some areas but not others; which seems to be the case for most people!

cawith

Apr 13, 2012
I started experiencing flickering too. The situation where it is most obvious on my device is, when I go into the settings -> screen etc. and press the screen brightness button. The this dialog shows and all the grey area around this dialog box starts to flicker. It is more noticeable the brighter the screen is!
Are you guys also having that flicker?

NFCZone.net

Dec 31, 2011
Aalborg
Flicker gone!

I'm just gonna copy + paste my respond to the other 'flicker-thread':

I had the same flicker as the rest of you guys, but just flashed the new ROMeOS 1.1.3 rom and now it's GONE!

Maybe it's the NVidia Power Management Control fix included in the rom that fixes it? Don't know, all I know is that screen looks great now!

Anybody who can confirm??

evangeloschr

Apr 13, 2012
Screen flicker here when using browser mostly on the right corner pressing the menu button or on the back button on the left button. Sometimes there is also flickering when i swap from browser to another app.

I have contacted htc and they reply me this:

Thank you for contacting HTC.

With regards to your enquiry, kindly note that, as you have the phone for only 2 days, you can go back to your retailer and swap it for another one. Just this time make sure to test the new phone at the store, to avoid the same problem. If they however refuse to swap your phone, you can contact our Repair Center for further support.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
It seems a lot of the initial launch day stock have the flicker.

I got mine on the 5th from Phones4U and my phone and some others sold that day have been returned to the same store.

The one I got today is totally flicker free on all colours. The screen seems totally different. It's not as blindingly bright as my original one but of a much better quality.

It may be software related but this would suggest otherwise.

This may be a coincidence or perhaps not. I have only seen one with flicker but it also had a screen much brighter than others I have seen. It may be a faulty voltage regulator for the screen backlight and it shouldn't be that bright. Having said that, it was also the screen with the purest whites. All others I have seen have had more yellowy tints to white.

The "real" hardware flicker issue is when you can see it flicker regardless of colour, but most noticeable on white. It applies to the whole screen and it looks like a light bulb on its last legs....as if its about to blow. It is not a graphic glitch.

Reactions: CF93

optiknerv

Aug 30, 2008
Ellesmere Port
www.facebook.com
If I go to the auto brightness settings it flickers, close it and its fine, open it again and it flickers.... etc etc. I cant be bothered with the hassle of returning my phone so i really do hope its only software.

georgemaier

Apr 15, 2012
just adding my two cents. I got the One X on three about 5 days ago now and have the screen flicker issues. I think it is power management related as when loading apps I notice it, when picking up things to drag and drop i notice it, when something on the screen is set to refresh regularly I notice it, but not when phone is idle or using apps that don't use much power (ie. messages email ect...)

I have noticed a similar occurrence on my HP Envy 14 Beats Edition laptop when rending HD video out

I really don't want to go through the hassle of sending my phone back in the post and getting a new one, especially as this will mean me going a day or two without a phone, but I'm unsure of the nature of this problem, and I don't want to lose my warranty, find out it is something that, for sure, cannot be fixed by software updates and then have to put up with it while everyone around me got ones that work fine.

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
just adding my two cents. I got the One X on three about 5 days ago now and have the screen flicker issues. I think it is power management related as when loading apps I notice it, when picking up things to drag and drop i notice it, when something on the screen is set to refresh regularly I notice it, but not when phone is idle or using apps that don't use much power (ie. messages email ect...)

I have noticed a similar occurrence on my HP Envy 14 Beats Edition laptop when rending HD video out

I really don't want to go through the hassle of sending my phone back in the post and getting a new one, especially as this will mean me going a day or two without a phone, but I'm unsure of the nature of this problem, and I don't want to lose my warranty, find out it is something that, for sure, cannot be fixed by software updates and then have to put up with it while everyone around me got ones that work fine.

If htc tells us to DOA then I think you should use that oppurtunity, I dont think three will even check the phone as they dont lose anything from a DOA. I bought mine at swedish three and Im sending mine back tomorrow. And if the next one is bad too you can do a new DOA. Dont you have a backup phone?

Sent from my LG-P970 using XDA

d33f

Apr 18, 2010
Kerkrade, The Netherlands
I have this problem. What is weird is that if I charge the phone fully the problem disappears until discharge at reaching like 80% where it starts to appear again and gets worst over discharge. I'd like to know if I'm alone. If not there are chances an OTA can solve it as it would be some kind of bad power management of the screen. And we all know our power management has some troubles

My problem is exactly like you describe, also i think it's software / power management related, since it only happens with lowest brightness level and at a certain battery level

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
My problem is exactly like you describe, also i think it's software / power management related, since it only happens with lowest brightness level and at a certain battery level

On my side I'm gonna contact the website where I bought my One X from and ask them how much time I have to ask for an exchange device. If I can have the OTA first I'll take the chance :) Otherwise I guess I'll have to live without a phone for a week...

optiknerv

Aug 30, 2008
Ellesmere Port
www.facebook.com
For me it is more noticeable at higher brightness levels than at lower levels. I went to a local o2-uk phone shop today and pretended to want a new contract just so I could have a fiddle with one of their stock. I found that it did not have the flicker that I see with mine! It was however brand new and when I say that I mean it was literally its first turn on because it went through the setup. I can't remember mine having flicker when I first got it but maybe I was just so excited with my new phone I didn't notice it OR its something that appears with a few days use???
Either way I have requested a returns envelope from where I got my device from.

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
For me it is more noticeable at higher brightness levels than at lower levels. I went to a local o2-uk phone shop today and pretended to want a new contract just so I could have a fiddle with one of their stock. I found that it did not have the flicker that I see with mine! It was however brand new and when I say that I mean it was literally its first turn on because it went through the setup. I can't remember mine having flicker when I first got it but maybe I was just so excited with my new phone I didn't notice it OR its something that appears with a few days use???
Either way I have requested a returns envelope from where I got my device from.
If your device is anything like mine then there was no flicker when I first got it. I noticed it after around 24-36 hours of having the device; so its definitely something that happens over time. I didn't.have my first device long enough to comment on that one unfortunately.

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
Just noticed the flicker start happening on mine, I would say it's a software problem tbh, put it at manual max brightness, and I don't see it happening, put it back on auto and it does it again. Seems like it's just another bug with the auto brightness or something

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Just noticed the flicker start happening on mine, I would say it's a software problem tbh, put it at manual max brightness, and I don't see it happening, put it back on auto and it does it again. Seems like it's just another bug with the auto brightness or something

Mine started of like this then over the next few days it was apparent on all brightness levels.

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
Exactly the same. Only noticeable on low light greys at first. Now I notice it on many mid grey colors. That is really disturbing to watch...
Looks like many of us have this issue and no way to reach any competent HTC staff for infos...

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
Another thing I just noticed, it hasn't been happening for the past few hours, but now just started again! Surely this would imply its software? Bloody hope it is anyways

t.sjostrom

Mar 7, 2008
I really hope it is software, I have screen flickering on all brightness and battery levels, the phone was fine for almost a week, then I got this...

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

t.sjostrom

Mar 7, 2008
What firmware are you on, I still have 1.26
Anyone on 1.27 or 1.28 weight with the flickering?

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
1.26 on mine, that damn touchscreen thing (where it randomly goes useless and doesn't respond properly) has also just started and beginning to wind me up bigtime!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I just can't see how it can be hardware...

Mine is flickering at times too.It seems like just about every device that is out there is doing it. I still think its software based, and probably a setting to do with the LCD display. If its hardware then HTC are going to run out of phones...
    Oh i see, my serial starts HT24
    You are getting me a little worried about this flickering.
    When I check the brightness adjust screen (at 100%) the grey area around the box has a tiny tiny little flickering - as in it seems like the brightness dims a little and turns the brightness up very little 1-2 times a sec, but it is nothing I notice during usage, only at this particularity place when I look for it. It is from HT23 batch.

It it this you are talking about, or is it much more visible?

And well, just checked the screen while it charged and I would say it was gone...

No.. on my second phone it is like that.. it does not go away when charging though.

On my first it was constant flicker no matter which brightness setting it was set to... Much much worse than on the One X that I have now..
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Olga.
    lalit sehgal: hi htc how r u?
    Olga: Hi lalit, thank you for contacting HTC Support. How may I help you today?
    lalit sehgal: well i have jst one queery regarding one x
    Olga: Yes of course, what is it?
    lalit sehgal: well i got this yesterday and really pissed off coz of screen flickering
    lalit sehgal: specially when gray colours are produced
    lalit sehgal: its so annoying
    lalit sehgal: is it software or hardware related......
    lalit sehgal: coz if its hardware i will return this piece of crap....
    Olga: I am not quite sure as this isnt something i have come across, have you tried anything to resolve this at all?
    lalit sehgal: well there are forums loaded with this issue
    lalit sehgal: many across globe are facing it
    Olga: yes but i am afraid as customers dont come to us directly, we have no way of knowing about such issues.
    lalit sehgal: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597448
    Olga: you can certainly try the full factory reset as a last resort to see if it helps.
    lalit sehgal: i did
    lalit sehgal: no help no use
    Olga: If you still have the problem then it is most likely a hardware fault
    lalit sehgal: i am not sure why all of us are facing this
    Olga: and in this case would be best if you returned the phone to the store
    lalit sehgal: u mean hardware faults with so many sold......
    lalit sehgal: what abt quality check?
    Olga: as i have mentioned we are not aware of this issue.
    Olga: We do not know how many devices are affected.

HAHAHAHA response frm htc.....can u believe this