[S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC One XL

Search This thread

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNswkPGYtLc

note: updated 2/20 @ 9:20 EST, better ICS compatibility.

Welcome to Facepalm S-Off for the HTC One XL.

Credits and terms:

Exploit by beaups. Full guide, testing, and concept by jcase and beaups. Thanks to dsb9938 and dr_drache for support and testing. Thanks also to all of the regulars at teamandirc.

Both beaups and jcase will collect the applicable active bounties. Further donations are greatly appreciated and can be sent to:

beaups - Donate to beaups
jcase - Donate to jcase
dsb9938 - Donate to dsb9938
dr_drache - Donate to dr_drache

You can also come by irc for support or just to say thanks: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

While this process shouldn’t be too risky, bricks can happen. None of us will be accountable. If you are worried, don’t do it.

This is a pretty simple method, however, you will need to have a working adb and fastboot environment. This method will work on any operating system that supports adb and fastboot. You should understand how to use a terminal window in your O/S. If you don’t understand adb and fastboot, you probably don’t need S-off.

Lastly, the work herein should not be stolen, repackaged, one clicked, bat’d, etc. soffbin3 is not GPL and may not be reused, integrated into other work, reposted, or redistributed without our permission.

For this to work, you must be rooted and have superCID (unlock/custom recovery is optional), see the threads below for help and information regarding obtaining superCID, unlock, root, etc. Note these threads are provided for convenience only. Please look for support for them in each respective thread if you need it, do NOT clutter this thread with support requests regarding obtaining superCID and/or root! If you try this process without superCID, it will not work, and you may have issues!:

HTC One XL: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952038 (2.2)

Once you have confirmed you have SuperCID, get started (read it through first so you understand it all):

1.) Download patcher and unzip it in your working directory:
soffbin3.zip soffbin3.zip Mirror

2.) Download the zip below

OneX.zip = MD5: 99a8eced1010543e12cbd4e4e8f9638f, Mirror

3.)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
(wait for bootloader)

4.)
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
(wait for black HTC Screen)

5.)
Code:
fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)”

6.) Immediately issue the following command:

Code:
fastboot oem boot

You may see some errors, just wait for the device to boot into Android (only now, you should be booted into Android with no eMMC write protection of any kind active).

7.) Issue the following 3 commands to update the security partition with S-off flags (one command at a time!):

Code:
adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"

(wait for a few seconds)

8.)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

9.) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

Enjoy.

Last edited:

marsyeti

Nov 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Re: [S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC Devices

Just, wow! Good job man! Can't wait to give it a shot!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Failed several times, on CM10.1 02/19 nightly and 2.20 RUU I have 99 error and seg error, and USB 3.0 or the latest Android SDK bundle can't execute the last 2 shell commands(Don't know why, just nothing happens).

Here's how it works: Windows 7 32bit, ViperXL 3.2.3, USB 2.0 slot, and adb version: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1920265

Sent from my One X

Last edited:

venelar

Jan 27, 2007
Baton Rouge

Congrats on this! Never pledged anything on this but I'll send something soon just for the sheer fact you stuck with it this long.

marsyeti

Nov 4, 2012
Pittsburgh

Quick question, do I have to flash a stock RUU first or can do it on AOSP ROMs?

Sent from my One X

Reactions: alk2020

flightsimmer

Oct 6, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Thanks a ton to ALL!!!! My device is now S-OFF!!

Just to throw this out there, I'm running the latest CM10.1 nightly, and the command "adb shell getprop ro.aa.modelid" did not return anything. I flashed the OneX zip and all is working as expected. Also, if running CM10.1 (or anything 4.2.2), you may have to disconnect and reconnect the usb cable after the "fastboot oem boot" command gets you into the OS. It looks like the security features of 4.2.2, at least by default, are stopping ADB from detecting the phone until the security prompt is reaccepted - if you don't tell the phone to permanently accept the PC you're using.

Last edited:

NJGSII

Nov 15, 2011
Howell, NJ
Just did the model id and I got PJ8310000.

Does that mean I can't use this?

edit: facepalm, didn't see the post above.

mrjaydee82

Apr 5, 2010
Naples, FL

To beaups

Wow....I'm hyped up...awesome awesome work

My blazingly fast as f*#k One XL fueled with CM10.1

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNswkPGYtLc

note: updated 2/20 @ 9:20 EST, better ICS compatibility.

Welcome to Facepalm S-Off for the HTC One XL.

Credits and terms:

Exploit by beaups. Full guide, testing, and concept by jcase and beaups. Thanks to dsb9938 and dr_drache for support and testing. Thanks also to all of the regulars at teamandirc.

Both beaups and jcase will collect the applicable active bounties. Further donations are greatly appreciated and can be sent to:

beaups - Donate to beaups
    jcase - Donate to jcase
    dsb9938 - Donate to dsb9938
    dr_drache - Donate to dr_drache

You can also come by irc for support or just to say thanks: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

While this process shouldn’t be too risky, bricks can happen. None of us will be accountable. If you are worried, don’t do it.

This is a pretty simple method, however, you will need to have a working adb and fastboot environment. This method will work on any operating system that supports adb and fastboot. You should understand how to use a terminal window in your O/S. If you don’t understand adb and fastboot, you probably don’t need S-off.

Lastly, the work herein should not be stolen, repackaged, one clicked, bat’d, etc. soffbin3 is not GPL and may not be reused, integrated into other work, reposted, or redistributed without our permission.

For this to work, you must be rooted and have superCID (unlock/custom recovery is optional), see the threads below for help and information regarding obtaining superCID, unlock, root, etc. Note these threads are provided for convenience only. Please look for support for them in each respective thread if you need it, do NOT clutter this thread with support requests regarding obtaining superCID and/or root! If you try this process without superCID, it will not work, and you may have issues!:

HTC One XL: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952038 (2.2)

Once you have confirmed you have SuperCID, get started (read it through first so you understand it all):

1.) Download patcher and unzip it in your working directory:
    soffbin3.zip soffbin3.zip Mirror

2.) Download the zip below

OneX.zip = MD5: 99a8eced1010543e12cbd4e4e8f9638f, Mirror

3.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    (wait for bootloader)

4.)
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    (wait for black HTC Screen)

5.)
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
    After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)”

6.) Immediately issue the following command:

Code:
    fastboot oem boot

You may see some errors, just wait for the device to boot into Android (only now, you should be booted into Android with no eMMC write protection of any kind active).

7.) Issue the following 3 commands to update the security partition with S-off flags (one command at a time!):

Code:
    adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
    adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"

(wait for a few seconds)

8.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

9.) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

Enjoy.
    Fix for error 99, that doesn't involve flashing roms hoping it solves the problem:

fastboot oem writecid 11111111
    power down completely, go to fastboot
    continue from the fastboot oem rebootRUU command

thans attn1 and jcase for the help
    Ok folks thanks to c5satelite and other helpful folks at S OFF PARTY AND IRC we figured out how to fix this whole "error 99" shenanigans.

Step 1. Download the latest stockish ROM (I used Viper 3.2.3)

Step 2. Boot into bootloader and fastboot flash the kernel.. then reboot back into recovery

Step 3. Wipe /system and factory reset in TWRP

Step 4. Install rom in TWRP

Step 5. For *Viper Only* Don't wipe in Aroma, and uncheck reboot at the end.

Step 6. Reboot into bootloader from recovery (Don't boot into the ROM)

Step 7. Follow the instructions in the OP to a T ... read reread.. go get some coffee.. and try again.. hopefully you see Error 92 and not 99

This worked for me with ViperROM on hboot 2.14

Thank you to all the folks involved you guys are rockstars from Mars! :highfive:
    For those with PJ8310000 Model IDs, do it anyway. That zip works regardless of One X/XL Model ID.
    I tried it and am now S-Off'd. My Model ID is PJ8310000.

Also, thanks so much to those involved!!
    we will add more hoxl model id's and zips shortly