A minimalist - stock - ROM

Search This thread

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
I really like the stock ROM and wanted to keep it, but decided to removed the bloatware. I got root with g2_security, remounted rw and proceeded to disabled all apk and enable them on a case by case basis. Here is the result, which you can use for the purpose of making your own minimalist ROM:

• LGHome is required (home screen) as well as LGHome_Theme_Optimus
  • LGSystemUI, LGLiveWallpapersPicker, SystemUI_Provider and LGTangibleIO provide the user interface base
  • LGLockScreen and LGLockScreenSettings are self explanatory
  • LGIME + LGIME_THEME* provide the on screen keyboard
  • FusedLocation is required by LGHome, otherwise it will bootloop
  • LGSettings and LGSettingsProvider are essential as well
  • LGSystemServer manages a number of hardware devices (LEDs...)
  • SetupWizard has to run at least once iirc, otherwise the Home button does not work :eek: (but afterwards can be disabled)
  • DefaultContainerService is required for the installation of APKs

Note: to prevent the default APKs (LGLW_PolarBear, ...) from being installed, move them out of /system/apps/bootup. Typically I use /system/app/disabled to stored disabled APKs.

Next, the following components can be enabled depending on what you need:

• LGPhone, LGTelephonyProvider, LGContacts, LGContactsProvider and LGMessage (most people will want this)
  • HiddenMenu for debugging infomation (use 3845#*802#)
  • GMS_Maps, plus com.qualcomm.location (required for GPS)
  • LGBluetooth4 is required to connect to Bluetooth devices
  • LGAlarmClock, LGClockWidget, LGBrowser, LGCalculator, LGCalendar, LGCalendarProvider and LGCameraApp are self explanatory
  • LGDownloadProvider and LGDownloadProviderUi is used by browser and other apps
  • LGEmail is useful to get an Exchange account (like, live.com) and get the calendar working if you don't enable gapps
  • LGFileManager, LGFlashlightWidget, LGFmRadio, LGGallery, LGMusic, LGMusicWidget and YouTube can be useful too
  • LGVideos, LGVoiceRecorder, LGWeather and LGWeatherTheme: ditto
  • MediaProvider is required for LGFileManager and possibly others too
  • UserDictionaryProvider for custom dictionaries

I am however using an older Maps, version 6, extracted from a nexus factory image. In particular is allows downloading much larger off-line maps.

Finally let's mention the following APKs that I'm not sure are completely necessary, but I've included them since they are part of the CyanogenMod sources:

• HTMLViewer
  • InputDevices
  • KeyChain
  • SharedStorageBackup
  • VpnDialogs

After disabled useless APKs, I recommend doing a data/cache wipe from CWM, to get into a new clean state. It's worth noting I don't enable the Google Apps, since I manually install APKs that I download from another phone. This works quite well, although I had for example to patch Deezer's dex code to remove a dependency on GSF. In addition, the Phone application FC when a bluetooth headset is connected which is a bit annoying. So it's probably easier to keep the Google Apps enabled. For the record, I have disabled the following apps:

Code:
AAT.apk                             LGClockWidget.apk               LGVideoEditor.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk            LGConnectionWizard.apk          LGVideoManual.apk
BackupRestoreConfirmation.apk       LGDefaultAccount.apk            LGVuTalk.apk
Books.apk                           LGDictionary.apk                LGWirelessStorage.apk
CameraTestApp.apk                   LGDMSClient.apk                 LGWorldClockWidget.apk
ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk      LGDMSGCM.apk                    LicenseProvider.apk
ChromeWithBrowser.apk               LGDrm.apk                       LinkCompanion3.apk
CloudHub.apk                        LGEasySettings.apk              LteConfigs.apk
com.lge.pr.hidden.MLTest.apk        LGFavoriteContactsWidget.apk    Magazines.apk
com.lge.shutdownmonitor.apk         LGFOTA.apk                      MediaUploader.apk
CompatibilityMode.apk               LGGestureAnswering.apk          MLT.apk
com.qualcomm.services.location.apk  LGHome_Theme_Marshmallow.apk    Music2.apk
ConfigUpdater.apk                   LGInstallService.apk            NetworkLocation.apk
DirectBeam.apk                      LGLifeStream.apk                PackageInstaller.apk
DmfAdmin.apk                        LGLifeStreamLogManager.apk      PCSyncUI.apk
DoubleTapWakeup.apk                 LGLW_Feather.apk                PermissionToAccessLgeApi.apk
DrmProvider.apk                     LGLW_MultiPhoto.apk             Phonesky.apk
DrmService.apk                      LGLW_PolarBear.apk              PlayGames.apk
ELTTest.apk                         LGLW_Prince.apk                 PlusOne.apk
FaceLock.apk                        LGMemo.apk                      qcrilmsgtunnel.apk
FontServer.apk                      LGMemoWidget.apk                QuicksetSDK.apk
Gmail2.apk                          LGMITS.apk                      SmartShare.apk
GmsCore.apk                         LgNfc.apk                       SmartShareBeam.apk
GnssAirTest.apk                     LGNotebook.apk                  SmartShareProvider.apk
GnssPosTest.apk                     LGOnScreenPhone3_JB.apk         Stk.apk
GnssTest.apk                        LGPartnerBookmarksProvider.apk  Street.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk           LGPhotoAlbumWidget.apk          SystemUI_Theme_Black.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk       LGPhotoTable.apk                SystemUI_Theme_Black_Gradation.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk       LGPolarisViewer.apk             SystemUI_Theme_White.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk                  LGQMemo.apk                     SystemUI_Theme_White_Gradation.apk
GoogleLoginService.apk              LGQRemote.apk                   TagGoogle.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk              LGQTranslator.apk               talkback.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk         LGSafetyCare.apk                TimeService.apk
GoogleTTS.apk                       LGSearchWidgetProvider.apk      UnifiedEULA.apk
Hangouts.apk                        LGSettingsAccessibility.apk     Upsell.apk
HiddenSIMUnlockMenu.apk             LGSlideAside.apk                Velvet.apk
HomeSelector.apk                    LGSmartcardService.apk          Videos.apk
LGApduService.apk                   LGSmartWorld.apk                VoiceSearchStub.apk
LGAppCleanup.apk                    LGStartupwizard.apk             WAPPushManager.apk
LGApplicationManager.apk            LGStreamingPlayer.apk           WapService.apk
LGAssistantStub.apk                 LGTaskManager.apk               wind_155_2.3_Prod_build_5.apk
LGATCMDService.apk                  LGTasks.apk                     WiseScreen.apk
LGBackup.apk                        LGTextTranslator.apk            WVTest.apk
LGBasicDreams.apk                   LGUpdateCenter.apk
LGCb.apk                            LGVidClip.apk

Last edited:

switchgott

Jan 22, 2007
Hi,

thanks for this great list!
Now we could have a look inside the lib files :)

Is there a list for example what doubletabwakeup.apk makes?
Do we realy need it to wake up the device with double finger tab?

Thanks

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
Hi,

thanks for this great list!
Now we could have a look inside the lib files :)

Is there a list for example what doubletabwakeup.apk makes?
Do we realy need it to wake up the device with double finger tab?

Thanks

Hi,

I can wake up or sleep with double tap without this apk.

I'd like to make a list eventually, but it's time consuming. But why not :)

switchgott

Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for your reply..
A list would realy help a lot of people, how didnt know the services and apps from lg.

But for what is this app`?

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
Thanks for your reply..
A list would realy help a lot of people, how didnt know the services and apps from lg.

But for what is this app`?

I agree. As a first step you can always have a look at the manifest, run strings on the .odex and also examine the APK's resources (strings, layouts).

This usually provides enough information without resorting ti disassembly/decompiling, which is prohibited by LG's Terms of Use.

jaidev.s

Nov 27, 2011
Hope someone will make a de bloater script for removing all these apps

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

grantusmantus

Oct 25, 2012
Osceola
Hope someone will make a de bloater script for removing all these apps

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Im assuming your rooted...?download Titanium Backup from the market and use that to delete the bloatware. Just be very carefull while deleting. If your unsure abt an app you want to delete, use the freeze option instead of deleting it. Freezing disables the app but doesnt permanently remove it. If you freeze an app amd your phone becomes unstable or you start getting a bunch of force closes you can always go back and unfreeze the app in question. There is no coming back from delting said app unless you reflash the rom. Sorry,that may have been over explaining things.

Sent from my armored tank of a gs2

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
Im assuming your rooted...?download Titanium Backup from the market and use that to delete the bloatware. Just be very carefull while deleting. If your unsure abt an app you want to delete, use the freeze option instead of deleting it. Freezing disables the app but doesnt permanently remove it. If you freeze an app amd your phone becomes unstable or you start getting a bunch of force closes you can always go back and unfreeze the app in question. There is no coming back from delting said app unless you reflash the rom. Sorry,that may have been over explaining things.

Sent from my armored tank of a gs2

I agree, one should be very careful. When doing the tests over adb, I made sure not to reboot the phone, instead I would kill system_server to test what change disabling/reenabling an apk would do (I guess at worst I would have had to restore the backup from CWM). Nonetheless the list of APK that I provided in the first post provide a working phone, albeit in a minimalist state. I'm not going to provide a script though, it seems too risky to blindly apply any given script - instead I prefer providing an explanation for each apk so that people can avoid disabling crucial system parts.

devilxman

Jan 2, 2012
I really like the stock ROM and wanted to keep it, but decided to removed the bloatware. I got root with g2_security, remounted rw and proceeded to disabled all apk and enable them on a case by case basis. Here is the result, which you can use for the purpose of making your own minimalist ROM:

• LGSystemUI, LGLiveWallpapersPicker, SystemUI_Provider and LGTangibleIO provide the user interface base
  • SetupWizard has to run at least once iirc, otherwise the Home button does not work :eek: (but afterwards can be disabled)

Note: to prevent the default APKs (LGLW_PolarBear, ...) from being installed, move them out of /system/apps/bootup. Typically I use /system/app/disabled to stored disabled APKs.

• LGPhone, LGTelephonyProvider, LGContacts, LGContactsProvider and LGMessage (most people will want this)
  • LGAlarmClock, LGClockWidget, LGBrowser, LGCalculator, LGCalendar, LGCalendarProvider and LGCameraApp are self explanatory
  • LGEmail is useful to get an Exchange account (like, live.com) and get the calendar working if you don't enable gapps
  • LGFileManager, LGFlashlightWidget, LGFmRadio, LGGallery, LGMusic, LGMusicWidget and YouTube can be useful too

I am however using an older Maps, version 6, extracted from a nexus factory image. In particular is allows downloading much larger off-line maps.

Finally let's mention the following APKs that I'm not sure are completely necessary, but I've included them since they are part of the CyanogenMod sources:

• HTMLViewer
  • InputDevices
  • KeyChain
  • SharedStorageBackup
  • VpnDialogs

After disabled useless APKs, I recommend doing a data/cache wipe from CWM, to get into a new clean state. It's worth noting I don't enable the Google Apps, since I manually install APKs that I download from another phone. This works quite well, although I had for example to patch Deezer's dex code to remove a dependency on GSF. In addition, the Phone application FC when a bluetooth headset is connected which is a bit annoying. So it's probably easier to keep the Google Apps enabled. For the record, I have disabled the following apps:

Code:
AAT.apk                             LGClockWidget.apk               LGVideoEditor.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk            LGConnectionWizard.apk          LGVideoManual.apk
BackupRestoreConfirmation.apk       LGDefaultAccount.apk            LGVuTalk.apk
Books.apk                           LGDictionary.apk                LGWirelessStorage.apk
CameraTestApp.apk                   LGDMSClient.apk                 LGWorldClockWidget.apk
ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk      LGDMSGCM.apk                    LicenseProvider.apk
ChromeWithBrowser.apk               LGDrm.apk                       LinkCompanion3.apk
CloudHub.apk                        LGEasySettings.apk              LteConfigs.apk
com.lge.pr.hidden.MLTest.apk        LGFavoriteContactsWidget.apk    Magazines.apk
com.lge.shutdownmonitor.apk         LGFOTA.apk                      MediaUploader.apk
ConfigUpdater.apk                   LGInstallService.apk            NetworkLocation.apk
DirectBeam.apk                      LGLifeStream.apk                PackageInstaller.apk
DmfAdmin.apk                        LGLifeStreamLogManager.apk      PCSyncUI.apk
DoubleTapWakeup.apk                 LGLW_Feather.apk                PermissionToAccessLgeApi.apk
DrmProvider.apk                     LGLW_MultiPhoto.apk             Phonesky.apk
DrmService.apk                      LGLW_PolarBear.apk              PlayGames.apk
FaceLock.apk                        LGMemo.apk                      qcrilmsgtunnel.apk
FontServer.apk                      LGMemoWidget.apk                QuicksetSDK.apk
Gmail2.apk                          LGMITS.apk                      SmartShare.apk
GmsCore.apk                         LgNfc.apk                       SmartShareBeam.apk
GnssAirTest.apk                     LGNotebook.apk                  SmartShareProvider.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk           LGPhotoAlbumWidget.apk          SystemUI_Theme_Black.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk       LGPhotoTable.apk                SystemUI_Theme_Black_Gradation.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk       LGPolarisViewer.apk             SystemUI_Theme_White.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk                  LGQMemo.apk                     SystemUI_Theme_White_Gradation.apk
GoogleLoginService.apk              LGQRemote.apk                   TagGoogle.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk              LGQTranslator.apk               talkback.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk         LGSafetyCare.apk                TimeService.apk
GoogleTTS.apk                       LGSearchWidgetProvider.apk      UnifiedEULA.apk
LGApduService.apk                   LGSmartWorld.apk                VoiceSearchStub.apk
LGAppCleanup.apk                    LGStartupwizard.apk             WAPPushManager.apk
LGApplicationManager.apk            LGStreamingPlayer.apk           WapService.apk
LGAssistantStub.apk                 LGTaskManager.apk               wind_155_2.3_Prod_build_5.apk
LGATCMDService.apk                  LGTasks.apk                     WiseScreen.apk

Thanks alot mate, is very useful.
Would you be kind enough to upload the LGBluetooth4, i hav accidentally removed it and cant find it again.
Manythanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• HTMLViewer
    • InputDevices
    • KeyChain
    • SharedStorageBackup
    • VpnDialogs

Code: