qhusb_dload brick after bad vold.fstab edit

Search This thread

thejackbox

Mar 11, 2012
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post - just wanted to share my unpleasant experience.

I've bricked my phone in a peculiar way - it appears to be a hard brick, non-responsive to any buttons. Plugging in to the computer gets me the dreaded qhusb_dload QPST download mode. Not a good sign.

It wasn't due to faulty ROM flashing, either. I made a bad edit to /system/etc/vold.fstab fiddling with the way the internal and external SD cards get mounted - mmc1 instead of mmc2. After one reboot, I had some sd card corrupted errors. Proceeding to format the card may have been my fatal error. By the second reboot, I was bricked. D'oh. I imagine I had accidentally mounted a partition of the internal emmc that is critical to normal operations, then tried to wipe it.

From what I've read, a USB jig won't do much good, but it's worth a try.

Anyone messing around with their /system folder, be warned.

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
That's sux, but on a good note, $50 and a little waiting will get your phone back, or you could just warranty that sucker ;-) give more refurb units to some other xda members lol

thejackbox

Mar 11, 2012
I purchased this as a refurb, too. The cycle continues...

Not sure how the whole exchange process will work in this case. I mean, I can exchange for a different phone, or a new Skyrocket and pay the difference, but I really had my heart set on a cheapo skyrocket. Perhaps if I take this up with Samsung instead?

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
Ur 90 warranty is over already? That sux then. I personally would pay $50 and get it de-bricked, its the cheapest/best option.

thejackbox

Mar 11, 2012
I didn't expect much in the way of warranties because I purchased this refurbished. With Samsung customer service I didn't have much luck. However, I just got off the phone with AT&T, and they're overnighting me a replacement, which is cool. They have a 30 day policy on any web store items, so I'm covered. Anyways, lesson learned

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
Are you in thw process of bringing that to the skyrocket?

we need all the help we can get. just a bunch of curious noobs, ya know :)
the main discovery we did with sensation was to make the emmc visible to any pc it's connected to, then overwriting whatever was messed up (like the hboot) with a stock version of that file.

in theory, you should be able to do this to any phone running on a qualcomm chipset once it's in the qhsusb_dload mode. still lots to test, but anyone is welcome to participate, of course!

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
Do you have a skyrocket that your testing on?
Obviously you know its much different then hboot
On htc.

nope, just sensation. they both run on a qualcomm chipset though, so i'm just speculating here.

the bricks we're "saving" right now are for people that executed s-on without fully reading the instruction, thereby leaving them in qhsusb_dload mode. your cases might be specific to a different area, but the principal is still the same:
find what is messed up and replace it with the correct file via open emmc :)