[MOD] Trickster MOD [2012-07-09]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bigeyes0x0

Jun 20, 2011
Saigon
Introducing Trickster MOD, bringing Trickster experience to virtually every ROM out there.

Users using Trickster ROM 1.2.1 or newer can use this MOD to update

This CWM zip include the binaries and scripts I used for optimization in Trickster ROM. What it can do/set:
- Zipalign and sqlite DB optimization at boot
- Some android properties tweaks with mobile network speed tweak
- Screen state optimization for kernel task scheduler and virtual memory management (ch33kybutt)
- Set I/O scheduler, read ahead buffer, CPU scaling governor, min and max CPU speed
Following features are dependent on kernel features:
- Color (applied by default), contrast and gamma tweaks
- Generic hotplug
- CPU Temp limit
- Minimal SmartReflex voltage of Core, IVA, and MPU domains
- Nominal SmartReflex voltage for Core, IVA, and MPU domains
- Regulator voltages
- GLaDOS live OC of Core, GPU and MPU
- WIFI mode for screen off (power saving or full speed)
- Vibrator strength
- Headset volume boost
- High performance sound
- Force fast charge
- Battery live extender
- Touch wake and touch wake duration
- fsync control

Download

Changelogs

Requirements:
- CWM
- Someone who understands instructions below​

Installation/Update instructions:
- Reboot to CWM recovery
- Do a nandroid if you're scared (recommended in case you have problem)
- Install zip from sdcard
- Reboot the phone
- If you see /sdcard/trickster directory with configuration files inside then this mod installed successfully​

Usage:
By default Trickster color, some android property regarding UI smoothness and mobile data speed tweaks and screen state optimization are applied. If you want to change additional settings then either use the app or :
- Go to /sdcard/trickster directory, you'll see at most four following configuration files, depending on kernel features:
. color.conf: color related tweak
. general.conf: generic tweaks like zipalign, sqlite, and screenstate optimization
. kern_general.conf: generic kernel tweaks like CPU speed, governor, IO scheduler and readahead buffer
. kern_specific.conf: specific kernel features like sound control, WIFI power, fast charge...​
- Edit any above file to change the settings you want using app like ES Explorer, Root Explorer..., instructions included inside
- Settings are automatically applied when user saves any of these files
- Some changes require restarting your phone
- To check log to see if it works use "logcat|grep Trickster" from adb/terminal​

Reinstall boot service, Reset settings, Removal instructions:
- If you install a new kernel that includes ramdisk (boot.img format like franco or leanKernel), you can either reinstall Trickster MOD, run "tricks install" from adb root shell or terminal, or apply this CWM zip from recovery.
- You can delete a configuration file, files, or entire /sdcard/trickster directory to reset to default settings for a file, files or all configuration respectively
- If you mess up and can't boot, say aggressive OC/UV , use this CWM zip to reset
- If you want to uninstall, use this CWM zip

Credits:
- Google
- Our great kernel devs
- chainfire for SuperSU and su
- stericson for busybox
- ch33kybutt's for his brilliant idea on screen state optimizations
- Beta testers for your dedication in testing this
- nexus.prime for his unintallation script
- phone_user for init.d CWM zip
- Anyone I learnt from

Disclaimer: This is provided with NO GUARANTY whatsoever. Use your common sense.

Beta test: If you want to test my stuffs, including other things beside this. Contact me through PM.

Last edited:

mazubo

Jun 24, 2011
OnePlus 8
Looks great! @OP, I remember your contributions in Franco's thread. Will any of these modifications conflict with his setup?

Cheers,

bigeyes0x0

Jun 20, 2011
Saigon
Looks great! @OP, I remember your contributions in Franco's thread. Will any of these modifications conflict with his setup?

Cheers,

No, it won't. This is supposed to be a unification for all the stuffs that one can unite on the GNex. I will try to create an app to do this along side of improving this script in the future.

TBH with the recent CM episode I felt this is needed even more, screw them all. My script or app won't include things that won't work with CM like what they did, I assure you.

mazubo

Jun 24, 2011
OnePlus 8
No, it won't. This is supposed to be a unification for all the stuffs that one can unite on the GNex. I will try to create an app to do this along side of improving this script in the future.

TBH with the recent CM episode I felt this is needed even more, screw them all. My script or app won't include things that won't work with CM like what they did, I assure you.

Awesome, thank you! I'm currently running paranoid android which is cm9 base.

I'll report back!

nexus.prime

Mar 14, 2012
Last edited:

bigeyes0x0

Jun 20, 2011
Saigon

It's fine, the mod is already written in a way that it can handle update like this with ease. If there's actually a new sysfs that isn't exist anywhere else, I will add it if I deem it necessary. If that were not the case I would be in for maintenance hell for every kernel of every dev's update :D.

Woooow, Thank you !! :)
You're welcome. I actually wanted to get into kernel dev before but it seems like destiny is a ***** and I am stuck with these, as I am not going able to find enough time to care for my ROM, this mod, the app that I wanted to create and a kernel to add to these. Ranting aside, I'm fine with how things are ;).

sperug

Feb 5, 2010
Rimini
Where is trickster.conf?

Don't understand, I installed the zip, but no trickster.conf appeared in /sdcard...

ATRIXXIRTA

Mar 17, 2012
The Shangri-La Motel
Ok, probably a dumb question,

But can these literally be used on ANY rom?

Or at least any ICS rom?

For example, would this be useful on a moto atrix running ICS? (CM9 based)

There a few ICS roms for the atrix floating around and I just wanna know if I should share this thread with some of the devs over there?

I do have a G-nex that ive been able to play with over the last couple days, and its sweet! If I flash this mod, are there any noticeable changes right off the bat, or just after imputing a command through terminal?

Thanks, and nice job

EVERED78

Feb 20, 2011
GTown
Will this work without a custom rom, 4.04 boot unlocked with root and custom kernel?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

bigeyes0x0

Jun 20, 2011
Saigon
Ok, probably a dumb question,

But can these literally be used on ANY rom?

Or at least any ICS rom?

For example, would this be useful on a moto atrix running ICS? (CM9 based)

There a few ICS roms for the atrix floating around and I just wanna know if I should share this thread with some of the devs over there?

I do have a G-nex that ive been able to play with over the last couple days, and its sweet! If I flash this mod, are there any noticeable changes right off the bat, or just after imputing a command through terminal?

Thanks, and nice job

Theoretically, it should work anywhere with an ARMv7 CPU and Android 2.3 or higher but this has been tested only on GNex varieties by me and my testers. Still as I wrote this for GNex kernels, this script of course can't change kernel features that this script does not have. Basically I think it should work but with limited functionality, to be sure just nandroid first before applying it. Still I do not support this in anyway so don't come crying to me later if anything happens and I won't answer question regarding this script and other devices further. I do believe it has some values for any device out there, but it needs ppl with some knowledge to tweak it.

Will this work without a custom rom, 4.04 boot unlocked with root and custom kernel?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it should.

Your ROM does not have init.d function, I think

xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21232559&postcount=2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Thanks for this, I will add this info in the first post.

Last edited:
Reactions: nexus.prime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing Trickster MOD, bringing Trickster experience to virtually every ROM out there.

Users using Trickster ROM 1.2.1 or newer can use this MOD to update

This CWM zip include the binaries and scripts I used for optimization in Trickster ROM. What it can do/set:
    - Zipalign and sqlite DB optimization at boot
    - Some android properties tweaks with mobile network speed tweak
    - Screen state optimization for kernel task scheduler and virtual memory management (ch33kybutt)
    - Set I/O scheduler, read ahead buffer, CPU scaling governor, min and max CPU speed
    Following features are dependent on kernel features:
    - Color (applied by default), contrast and gamma tweaks
    - Generic hotplug
    - CPU Temp limit
    - Minimal SmartReflex voltage of Core, IVA, and MPU domains
    - Nominal SmartReflex voltage for Core, IVA, and MPU domains
    - Regulator voltages
    - GLaDOS live OC of Core, GPU and MPU
    - WIFI mode for screen off (power saving or full speed)
    - Vibrator strength
    - Headset volume boost
    - High performance sound
    - Force fast charge
    - Battery live extender
    - Touch wake and touch wake duration
    - fsync control

Download

Changelogs

Requirements:
    - CWM
    - Someone who understands instructions below​

Installation/Update instructions:
    - Reboot to CWM recovery
    - Do a nandroid if you're scared (recommended in case you have problem)
    - Install zip from sdcard
    - Reboot the phone
    - If you see /sdcard/trickster directory with configuration files inside then this mod installed successfully​

Usage:
    By default Trickster color, some android property regarding UI smoothness and mobile data speed tweaks and screen state optimization are applied. If you want to change additional settings then either use the app or :
    - Go to /sdcard/trickster directory, you'll see at most four following configuration files, depending on kernel features:
    . color.conf: color related tweak
    . general.conf: generic tweaks like zipalign, sqlite, and screenstate optimization
    . kern_general.conf: generic kernel tweaks like CPU speed, governor, IO scheduler and readahead buffer
    . kern_specific.conf: specific kernel features like sound control, WIFI power, fast charge...​
    - Edit any above file to change the settings you want using app like ES Explorer, Root Explorer..., instructions included inside
    - Settings are automatically applied when user saves any of these files
    - Some changes require restarting your phone
    - To check log to see if it works use "logcat|grep Trickster" from adb/terminal​

Reinstall boot service, Reset settings, Removal instructions:
    - If you install a new kernel that includes ramdisk (boot.img format like franco or leanKernel), you can either reinstall Trickster MOD, run "tricks install" from adb root shell or terminal, or apply this CWM zip from recovery.
    - You can delete a configuration file, files, or entire /sdcard/trickster directory to reset to default settings for a file, files or all configuration respectively
    - If you mess up and can't boot, say aggressive OC/UV , use this CWM zip to reset
    - If you want to uninstall, use this CWM zip

Credits:
    - Google
    - Our great kernel devs
    - chainfire for SuperSU and su
    - stericson for busybox
    - ch33kybutt's for his brilliant idea on screen state optimizations
    - Beta testers for your dedication in testing this
    - nexus.prime for his unintallation script
    - phone_user for init.d CWM zip
    - Anyone I learnt from

Disclaimer: This is provided with NO GUARANTY whatsoever. Use your common sense.

Beta test: If you want to test my stuffs, including other things beside this. Contact me through PM.

Cheers,

New version 20120616 released, with a lot of changes. Please read the changelog and usage section in first post carefully.

Shorter version of changelog:
    - trickster.conf is now split into multiple files for easier manipulation
    - Smarter configuration parser and configuration directory watcher to better serve users
    - Add more color profiles
    - Added MUL_MIN_LIMIT and MUL_MAX_LIMIT to limit valid color component multiplier range
    - Under the hood fixes and optimizations
    Android uses sqlite to store data for apps and system components. The optimization includes inside Trickster MOD is kinda like defrag your HD with potential improvement in IO operation. As it might cause some force close at boot because certain apps also start at boot and can't read its db, I left the tweak off by default. The app should work like normal afterward, I don't know/haven't encountered any side effect.
    I am on rascream with Trinity, I don't use TKT or any kernel app though. Need I say more?
    This mod has my color setting though, whether you like it or not you can change it in trickster.conf

EDIT: IIRC Trinity default is 135 135 210 and contrast at -24 or something, morfic is always in his castle or its dungeon I guess.