[Android 2.2+] MissedIt! -Text-based notifications for missed calls/SMS/e-mails/apps

Do you own a Peeble smartwatch?

• Yes, I already own it!

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • No, but I'm planning to buy one.

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • No, and I'm not interested.

Votes: 62 68.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

igece

Aug 5, 2010
Alcorcón (Madrid)
igecelabs.net
MissedIt!
Text-based notification widget for missed calls/SMS/e-mails/apps

Link to the app on Google Play

Get information about the number of missed calls, unread SMS, unread e-mail messages and notifications from virtually any application a glance with this simple yet very customizable widget. You can use it with any lockscreen replacement app to access all this information without need to unlock your phone.

Missed It! must be enabled as an Accessibility Service to be able to receive application notifications ('Settings » Accessibility » Accessibility services'). If enabled and application notifications not detected, try disabling and then re-enabling.

Requirements
  • Android version 2.2 and up.

Features

• Reports number of missed calls, unread SMS and pending voicemails.
  • If you use Gmail or K-9 Mail, you can obtain the number of unread messages of each account individually. In the case of Gmail, you can also select which label to monitor.
  • Also reports notifications from any application that uses the notification bar to report events (including WhatsApp, Tweetdeck, e-mail clients, etc).
  • Customization of font and background color and transparency. Also font faces (can use fonts stored in external SD card) and styles (bold, italic, underline).
  • Customization of the layout (alignments, margins, etc).
  • Text messages can be customized to show whatever phrase you want.
  • Represent numbers as text.
  • Resizable widget on ICS. With previous Android versions, there are multiple widget sizes available (user can select which sizes appears in widget list).

-- PERMISSIONS USED --

READ_PHONE_STATE, to get the voicemail state.
CALL_PHONE, to directly call to voicemail if there is any pending message.

Attachments

• widget_preferences.jpg
    widget_preferences.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3,965
  • widgets.jpg
    widgets.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,325
  • presets.jpg
    presets.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 3,103
  • options.jpg
    options.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,923
  • help.jpg
    help.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,895
  • device-2012-01-25-201247.jpg
    device-2012-01-25-201247.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 4,192
  • mycolorscreen.com_2011_10_13_social-home.jpg
    mycolorscreen.com_2011_10_13_social-home.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 3,919
  • mycolorscreen.com_2011_11_15_dawn-and-farewell.jpg
    mycolorscreen.com_2011_11_15_dawn-and-farewell.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 3,804
  • mycolorscreen.com_2011_12_12_caution.jpg
    mycolorscreen.com_2011_12_12_caution.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3,285
  • mycolorscreen.com_2012_01_02_keeping-it-simple.jpg
    mycolorscreen.com_2012_01_02_keeping-it-simple.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 3,541
  • device_lockscreen.jpg
    device_lockscreen.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3,346
Last edited:

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
This looks promising! I wanted TxMissed to break into two lines, and you've got that going on here already. I'll give it a try!

Edited to say - it would be nice if the background could be made transparent, if it can be, I'm not sure how to do it. I do like that it only shows the pertinent info, right now I have one missed text, and that's all that shows. It would be nice if the number of missed itens could be spelled out, like 'one txt missed', rather than '1 txt missed', or am I also missing how to do that, too?

Last edited:

bluxart

Feb 8, 2011
Savannah, GA
Edited to say - it would be nice if the background could be made transparent, if it can be, I'm not sure how to do it.

You can. Go to the appearance settings and click on "color" under background, and when the color picker comes up, drag the alpha slider over to the right. Alpha is the level of transparency. Farther to the right, you'll get zero transparency, while the left is more opaque.

Does anyone know how I can get this app to check my TweetDeck notifications? Is it even possible?

Reactions: reinbeau

raven369

Aug 14, 2010
Tested Gmail support. The notification works but after checking my Gmail MissedIt! constantly force closes. Stock 2.2 Samsung Captivate I896.

Does anyone know how I can get this app to check my TweetDeck notifications? Is it even possible?

It doesn't say anywhere that it supports TweetDeck so I would assume that it doesn't so far.

Last edited:

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
SMS seems to be working great, but it's not getting my email. Stock Thunderbolt w/ Go Launcher.

igece

Aug 5, 2010
Alcorcón (Madrid)
igecelabs.net
To all of you getting problems with the email, the application may not be querying the correct account. I will post today an updated version to fix this.
BTW, can you send me an extract of the logcat showing the error?

Edited: To temporarily disable checks on email account, go to Appearance, disable the Default output format and edit the Custom format to delete the [mails] parameter from the string. The application will know that we are no interested in that information and will not check for it.

Last edited:

pdppdp

Feb 16, 2011
new line not working

Looks like a nice app.
But the new line command doesn't work.
It shows all issues in one line.
Using SGS.

carinoxx

Dec 23, 2008
Ahi ahi.... españoles al poder :) gran aplicacion me encanta para mi Widgetlocker :) muchisimas gracias.

pdppdp

Feb 16, 2011
I tried both. And I checked it. It's written correctly.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

sunwee

May 8, 2009
seems working but havent tested intensively yet. some comments:

1) it doesn't display the messages until the event happenned? ie, it will only show "1 missed call", but nothing when there isn't any missed calls?

2) is it possible to enable starting the relevant apps (call log, default sms app, default email app) when we click on the message?

GTIVRon

Jan 2, 2011
It's finally in the making! What I've been looking for for quite some time now.. Awesome! Definitely following this.

igece

Aug 5, 2010
Alcorcón (Madrid)
igecelabs.net
1) it doesn't display the messages until the event happenned? ie, it will only show "1 missed call", but nothing when there isn't any missed calls?

Exactly. However, I plan to add an option to show the message even if no event happened.

2) is it possible to enable starting the relevant apps (call log, default sms app, default email app) when we click on the message?

Currently isn't possible. But i will study it.

pdppdp

Feb 16, 2011
Ok I just reinstalled the app and now it is working fine. Don't know what the problem was.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

enatefox

Jul 4, 2008
OP, nice work. If you want help and (hopefully) would consider open sourcing it, I can get you some new features added

igece

Aug 5, 2010
Alcorcón (Madrid)
igecelabs.net
New version published

I was assuming that the first account returned by AccountManager was a Gmail account. If you was getting a FC when trying to get unread e-mails, please try this new version.

And now a question. Currently the application only handles the first gmail account returned by AccountManager. In the case of having multiple Gmail acounts on the phone, how do you prefer this to be handled? Let the user select what account to use or add the possibility of handle all of them? Please take in consideration that the last option will undoubtedly increase not only the complexity of the code, but also the UI, so before taking any action on this, I need to know if users will consider this option interesting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MissedIt!
    Text-based notification widget for missed calls/SMS/e-mails/apps

Link to the app on Google Play

Get information about the number of missed calls, unread SMS, unread e-mail messages and notifications from virtually any application a glance with this simple yet very customizable widget. You can use it with any lockscreen replacement app to access all this information without need to unlock your phone.

Missed It! must be enabled as an Accessibility Service to be able to receive application notifications ('Settings » Accessibility » Accessibility services'). If enabled and application notifications not detected, try disabling and then re-enabling.

Requirements
    • Android version 2.2 and up.

Features

• Reports number of missed calls, unread SMS and pending voicemails.
    • If you use Gmail or K-9 Mail, you can obtain the number of unread messages of each account individually. In the case of Gmail, you can also select which label to monitor.
    • Also reports notifications from any application that uses the notification bar to report events (including WhatsApp, Tweetdeck, e-mail clients, etc).
    • Customization of font and background color and transparency. Also font faces (can use fonts stored in external SD card) and styles (bold, italic, underline).
    • Customization of the layout (alignments, margins, etc).
    • Text messages can be customized to show whatever phrase you want.
    • Represent numbers as text.
    • Resizable widget on ICS. With previous Android versions, there are multiple widget sizes available (user can select which sizes appears in widget list).

-- PERMISSIONS USED --

READ_PHONE_STATE, to get the voicemail state.
    CALL_PHONE, to directly call to voicemail if there is any pending message.
    Hi all,

Missed It! has no received any update in weeks, but that not means I'm not working on it. I plan to release a new update (v3) before Christmas, featuring some important changes:

• Totally redesigned interface.
    • Support for multiple widgets, each of them with its custom configuration settings.
    • Better support to configure Accessibility Settings and detect configuration problems.

Also, the format for the output string will change. Until now, each monitored item used two different parameters/placeholders, one for the number of notifications and another for the description string ([param] and [param_str]). From now, there will be only one placeholder [param] for each monitored item. In the singular and plural forms editboxes, you will be able to enter different variables that will be replaced with their corresponding values.

As an example, for monitoring missed calls now you will use one placeholder [calls] and in it's configuration, the singular will look something similar to 'You have %c missed call' and the plural to 'You have %c missed calls'. When any of these string is displayed, the %c variable will be replaced with the current number of missed calls.

I think this change will add more flexibility when configuring each monitored element, an also the readability of the custom output string (removing too much [...] [...] items from it), but I need your opinions about this.

And at last (but not least), I've started to use the collaborative tool Crowdin.net to help with translations. If you are interested, you can join at http://crowdin.net/project/missed-it and help in the translation of the application to your language.
    Please, how do I fix this? I already set parameters, I thought, I just can't figure out how to make it work (it worked before the update).

Open the program settings
    Select - Output format
    Select - Accounts
    If you see nothing, hit the hard menu key and add your account(s)
    Select the account and click on parameter
    Remember this value or change it to something unique (example: Account1)

Go back once

Select - Customize

Now use the accounts value instead of mails

EXAMPLE:
    [Account1] [Account1_str] instead of [mails][mails_str]

EXAMPLE FOR 2 ACCOUNTS
    [Account1] [Account1_str] [nl] [Account2] [Account2_str]
    I have found those 2 photo's on missedIt! market page,and i have a question:

how can i set those two widget with weather and toggle???

i can't find those things..any idea?

24o26ba.jpg

2pyuavd.jpg

Hey dude. The first one is my screenshot. I use Beautiful Widgets 1x1 weather, then I have added Simi Folder with custom icon. The toggles are Extended Controls widget. Just put enough columns on Widgetlocker and those widgets side by side.
    Ok, I've uploaded the app again and now all seems to be ok.

Was a problem with the generated .apk. Sorry for the inconveniences.