[MOD] 4.3 Tether Unlock MJ7 & MK2 + enable all toggles (1/20/14)

Search This thread

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Enable all toggles + unlock native Tethering

If you have Safestrap installed and are on a MK2 or MJ7 rom/build you can flash the corresponding zip below and you will unlock native built-in tethering and also get all the toggles including the usually absent Wifi Hotspot toggle. Both versions have been tested and confirmed to be work. This also enables all the missing toggles, not only the Wifi Hotspot toggle. Toggle issue = solved. If you don't have Safestrap then let me know, I'll write up a script to do the same thing if needed.

@Scottchy014 made an awesome video of the process that you can watch here

Devs/Modders/Themers - You can use my script without my permission and you don't need to give me credit. I don't do this for ego/pride I'm already narcissistic enough as it is.

I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_&_toggle.zip
md5:690b28f995fe7b33d2f1407a25b1abea

MJ7 Tether unlock w/ toggle
md5:b382d98e112adc5e48c7b37b2bb4bd6a

MK2 Tether unlock w/ toggle
md5:12e3eab158521d355ddd3956f340cf70

Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUEMJ7 Tether unlock

Unlocks WifiHotspot, USB Tether, and Bluetooth
Developed by Surge1223
11/02/2013

Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked

Instructions:

(Try the alternate method below first, it seems to work with less errors, but if you insist on using the script then FOR MK2 replace all instances of "MJ7" below with "MK2")

1. Extract MJ7_tether_unlock.zip and move the MJ7_tether_unlock folder to the root
of your micro sdcard so the structure looks like this: /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
also make sure you have busybox installed and are using SuperSu and not the chinese superuser.
Finally, before continuing, remember to disable the Knox apps (5 I believe?) and security apps (the 4 VZW security apps) install busybox, remove the Chinese superuser, update SuperSu's binaries, enable usb debugging and under security disable verify apps while enabling unknown sources.

2. Download terminal emulator then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
cd /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
sh tether.sh
3. After that your phone should reboot, and tethering should be unlocked! Also a copy of your original framework-res.apk
can be found in the following directory /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/orig-framework-res.apk

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.Code:apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
sh untether.sh
Downloads

MJ7
Download the zip here
Alternate link:
Mirror
MD5
: 029780a103ab8fb4929bb83b2270d6ef
To download just the modded MJ7 framework-res.apk click here

MK2

Download the zip here
MD5
:
ed0e0f974d7d8720690b8eb96461b5f3
To download just the modded
MK2 framework-res.apk click here

ALTERNATE METHOD

DO NOT RENAME the original framework-res.apk file! You will have to use an Odin tar to recover!
1.Download the modded framework-res.apk from here for MJ7 or here for MK2 then copy it to /system first then change framework-res.apk's permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644) and then MOVE it to /system/framework and overwrite framework-res.apk. Then reboot and you should have tethering!

Simply copy and pasting will cause you to boot loop so instead move it to /system first and change the permissions then and only then move it to /system/framework/ and overwrite the original

The Mod itself:

This is from the original arrays.xml

Code:
Code: 

usb\\d
        rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan
   [color=red] [/color]

[color=red]com.samsung.spg
        com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity[/color]

This is the modified arrays.xml
Code:
Code

usb\\d
        rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan

[COLOR=Lime]7[/COLOR]

Give credit to @open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page. Also @Sir_Eagle for the MK2 framework-res.apk

Last edited:

dimitrisg

Mar 28, 2009
confirmed

I have gs4 Verizon running MJ7 4.3 and used this to unlock my tethering capability.
Thank you for this information and your work!
I have unlimited data plan and was stuck using WiFi router which burned up battery like crazy. This is so much better now.
Thanks again! :good:

Reactions: mshawn3

Southern_mind

Mar 22, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I see people complain about not having the Wifi or WifiHotspot toggles working depending on the rom they are on. The solution doesn't require SQLite Editor. You can solve this problem by appending the below to your /system/csc/feature.xml under <!-- Settings --> header by changing system to r/w while edition then chmod back to 644.
[/SIZE]
Code:
[SIZE=3]<CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>Wifi;Bluetooth;Location;AirplaneMode;WiFiHotspot;SmartStay;AutoRotate;MobileData;SilentMode;PowerSaving;MultiWindow;AirGesture;AllShareCast;SBeam;Nfc;AirView;Sync;SmartScroll;DrivingMode;DormantMode;BlockMode</CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Not sure what you are saying here can you do a more detailed description?
Thanks

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Note 3

Jsyme222

Jul 31, 2011
Boise
This is an amazing development and greatly appreciated, however, I don't understand the purpose of the APK file? Is this an APK that needs to be installed for any reason?

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

This is an amazing development and greatly appreciated, however, I don't understand the purpose of the APK file? Is this an APK that needs to be installed for any reason?

Terribly sorry! I just read the developer note concerning the APK! OOPS! Forgot to read!

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Developed by Surge1223
11/02/2013

Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked

Instructions:

1. Extract MJ7_tether_unlock.zip and move the MJ7_tether_unlock folder to the root
of your micro sdcard so the structure looks like this: /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/

Code:
su
sh tether.sh
3. After that your phone should reboot, and tethering should be unlocked! Also a copy of your original framework-res.apk
can be found in the following directory /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/orig-framework-res.apk

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
sh untether.sh

Downloads

Download the zip here

Devs, I've included just the framework-res.apk w/ just the mod here so you can customize it more as needed for your roms.

The Mod itself:

Code:
</integer-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
        <item>usb\\d</item>
        <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
        <item>wlan0</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
        <item>bt-pan</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
   [COLOR=Red] [COLOR=Black]<[/COLOR]string[COLOR=Black]-array[/COLOR][/COLOR] name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app"[COLOR=Red]>[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Red]<item>com.samsung.spg</item>[/COLOR]
     [COLOR=Red]   <item>com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity</item>[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Red]</string-array[COLOR=Black]>[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>1</item>
        <item>5</item>
    </integer-array>

Code:
</integer-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
        <item>usb\\d</item>
        <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
        <item>wlan0</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
        <item>bt-pan</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>1</item>
        <item>5</item>
       [COLOR=Lime] <item>7</item>[/COLOR]
    </integer-array>

I see people complain about not having the Wifi or WifiHotspot toggles working depending on the rom they are on. The solution doesn't require SQLite Editor. You can solve this problem by appending the below to your /system/csc/feature.xml under <!-- Settings --> header by changing system to r/w while edition then chmod back to 644. Following your next
reboot/hot reboot/restarted systemui, pull down the toggle bar, click the settings button and it should allow you to choose to add any that weren't available previously.
Code:
[SIZE=3]<CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>Wifi;Bluetooth;Location;AirplaneMode;WiFiHotspot;SmartStay;AutoRotate;MobileData;SilentMode;PowerSaving;MultiWindow;AirGesture;AllShareCast;SBeam;Nfc;AirView;Sync;SmartScroll;DrivingMode;DormantMode;BlockMode</CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>[/SIZE]

Give credit to @
open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page.

I am so happy to have tether again, but I am very curious as to how this goes unnoticed by Verizon? Since this gets processed through the native tethering app how does it stay below the radar of Big Red?

Reactions: mshawn3

dimitrisg

Mar 28, 2009
Caution

Not sure what you are saying here can you do a more detailed description?
Thanks

So I saw this portion of the thread and thought I would try to achieve this also. I messed with the system folder and totally bricked my phone. No hope of recovery. It was my fault for messing with something that I knew nothing about but just want to caution anyone thinking of doing this to be very careful.
I changed permissions for this folder and locked up the phone and it won't even let me Odin, flash through recovery or sideload through adb.
So my device is toast.
Just be wary of messing with things unfamiliar.:(:eek:

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So I saw this portion of the thread and thought I would try to achieve this also. I messed with the system folder and totally bricked my phone. No hope of recovery. It was my fault for messing with something that I knew nothing about but just want to caution anyone thinking of doing this to be very careful.
I changed permissions for this folder and locked up the phone and it won't even let me Odin, flash through recovery or sideload through adb.
So my device is toast.
Just be wary of messing with things unfamiliar.:(:eek:

Sorry I changed the directions because I could have been more clear. You messed with the system folder? I was saying to make the system r/w and chmod 644 the file feature.xml under /system/csc/. The system folder it self should be chmod 755, but you dont chmod the system to anything, leave the system folder alone in fact never change the permissions of /system or any folder within the /system directory, only change it on files within a folder. For example /system and /system/csc should both be rwxr-xr-x (755) and never changed, while /system/csc/feature.xml should have its permissions set to rw-r--r-- (644) What do you mean you cant Odin what happens when you try?

Last edited:

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
what's chmod 644?? I've been around a while but I never heard that before?

When people say"push the app to /system and then change permissions" the permissions they are referring to is setting chmod the app to 644 which is setting the permissions for the owner, group and others.

chmod 644 = rw-r--r--

Owners -6 = read and write
Group - 4 = read only
Others -4 = read only

Number convention:

4 = read only
2 = write only
4 + 2 = 6
6 = read and write

5 = read and execute
5+2 =7
7= read, write and execute

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia

That's the UNIX "change mode" command. That's the way that UNIX systems define the protection mode for files.
644 is a protection mode, meaning read/write for owner (6), read for group (4), read for all (4).
Your root file manager should be able to allow you to set the mode and ownership of any file that you copy around.

Southern_mind

Mar 22, 2011
Charlotte, NC
When people say"push the app to /system and then change permissions" the permissions they are referring to is setting chmod the app to 644 which is setting the permissions for the owner, group and others.

chmod 644 = rw-r--r--

Group - 4 = read only
Others -4 = read only

Number convention:

4 = read only
2 = write only
4 + 2 = 6
6 = read and write

5 = read and execute
5+2 =7

That's the UNIX "change mode" command. That's the way that UNIX systems define the protection mode for files.
644 is a protection mode, meaning read/write for owner (6), read for group (4), read for all (4).
Your root file manager should be able to allow you to set the mode and ownership of any file that you copy around.

Well thanks for the info. I've been doing that for years and didn't know that.

dimitrisg

Mar 28, 2009

Sorry I changed the directions because I could have been more clear. You messed with the system folder? I was saying to make the system r/w and chmod 644 the file feature.xml under /system/csc/. The system folder it self should be chmod 755, but you dont chmod the system to anything, leave the system folder alone in fact never change the permissions of /system or any folder within the /system directory, only change it on files within a folder. For example /system and /system/csc should both be rwxr-xr-x (755) and never changed, while /system/csc/feature.xml should have its permissions set to rw-r--r-- (644) What do you mean you cant Odin what happens when you try?

I am certainly not blaming anyone for this, it was clearly my fault for messing where I shouldn't be but I appreciate you wanting to help.
After I changed the system folder permissions, it immediately crashed. When it rebooted it bootlooped twice then booted into system recovery where the android guy lay on his back dead with a red exclamation point in his belly. It simply said error and nothing else but gave options to update, reboot, wipe, the usual.
I tried every file to be had that I could download for Odin, or recovery update. Odin simply failed every time. Recovery update always said signature match fail on every rom file. I must have tried 6 different rom files including one that is claimed to be the ME7 newest update untouched.
All methods completely failed.
I have rooted for years, installed countless ROM files on all my phones and this is the first I have bricked. I am not anything more than a reader that follow directions when it comes to this stuff, but have always been able to fix any problems until this one.
I have read threads on unbricking until I am sick of reading and trying. I guess its time to throw in the towel.
Thanks for updating the directions so nobody else does the stupid that I did. :eek:

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I am certainly not blaming anyone for this, it was clearly my fault for messing where I shouldn't be but I appreciate you wanting to help.
After I changed the system folder permissions, it immediately crashed. When it rebooted it bootlooped twice then booted into system recovery where the android guy lay on his back dead with a red exclamation point in his belly. It simply said error and nothing else but gave options to update, reboot, wipe, the usual.
I tried every file to be had that I could download for Odin, or recovery update. Odin simply failed every time. Recovery update always said signature match fail on every rom file. I must have tried 6 different rom files including one that is claimed to be the ME7 newest update untouched.
All methods completely failed.
I have rooted for years, installed countless ROM files on all my phones and this is the first I have bricked. I am not anything more than a reader that follow directions when it comes to this stuff, but have always been able to fix any problems until this one.
I have read threads on unbricking until I am sick of reading and trying. I guess its time to throw in the towel.
Thanks for updating the directions so nobody else does the stupid that I did. :eek:

Did you try to use adb at all? Where does odin fail at? You can try three suggestions I have, but first install android-sdk tools and make sure adb is working.

1. Connect your phone to your pc via usb and run the attached adb_system_fix.bat file found in the the Samsung_Tools folder ive uploaded here while your phone is attempting to boot.

2. Boot to recovery and try the to use adb/ab sideload there and enter the following
Code:
adb shell su -c "mount -o remount rw /system"
adb shell chmod 755 /system
3.(last resort, try any other suggestion first!)
Download the VRUEMJ7 stock odin tar from here and extract the .pit file from within (temporarily rename the tar.md5 to tar to extract) then boot to download mode and open Odin 3.09 and select the pit file in the pit slot (also check repartition) and the odin tar in AP. Hit start

Reactions: Bait-Fish

dimitrisg

Mar 28, 2009
Did you try to use adb at all? Where does odin fail at? You can try three suggestions I have, but first install android-sdk tools and make sure adb is working.

1. Connect your phone to your pc via usb and run the attached adb_system_fix.bat file found in the the Samsung_Tools folder ive uploaded here while your phone is attempting to boot.

2. Boot to recovery and try the to use adb/ab sideload there and enter the following
Code:
Download the VRUEMJ7 stock odin tar from here and extract the .pit file from within (temporarily rename the tar.md5 to tar to extract) then boot to download mode and open Odin 3.09 and select the pit file in the pit slot (also check repartition) and the odin tar in AP. Hit start

Wow! Ok, sounds promising. Will do so now. I will post again with results.

Thanks!:fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Code:

Can you give me some direction on how to perform the adb operation. I am able to boot to recovery, I have adb installed and know how to access it from CMD window. But not sure how to send commands to phone.
Can you help a little more?
I tried method 1 but it did nothing. What I did was starting the bat file and then booted phone. It just kept buzzing over and over like a fast bootloop.
Going to try method 2 but a little lost.

Please help a little more?

Thanks

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Wow! Ok, sounds promising. Will do so now. I will post again with results.

Thanks!:fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Can you give me some direction on how to perform the adb operation. I am able to boot to recovery, I have adb installed and know how to access it from CMD window. But not sure how to send commands to phone.
Can you help a little more?
I tried method 1 but it did nothing. What I did was starting the bat file and then booted phone. It just kept buzzing over and over like a fast bootloop.
Going to try method 2 but a little lost.

Please help a little more?

Thanks

Alright open a cmd prompt as admin. Then type:
Code:
 adb devices
It should say something
Then type
Code:
 adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
chmod 755 /system
adb reboot

Last edited:

dimitrisg

Mar 28, 2009
Alright open a cmd prompt as admin. Then type:
Code:
 adb devices
It should say something
Then type
Code:
 adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
chmod 755 /system
adb reboot

Well as expected it failed. Anything I type in and enter I get "error: closed"

It is a lost cause I am afraid.
I am considering method 3 and can follow most of the instructions, but the last instruction is where I lose you. It says "..and the Odin file in the AP". is that supposed to be PDA?

After this I wont bug you anymore since it is obviously a lost cause.

Thanks for everything.

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Well as expected it failed. Anything I type in and enter I get "error: closed"

It is a lost cause I am afraid.
I am considering method 3 and can follow most of the instructions, but the last instruction is where I lose you. It says "..and the Odin file in the AP". is that supposed to be PDA?

After this I wont bug you anymore since it is obviously a lost cause.

Thanks for everything.

Alright I sent you a pm

carzaddict

Mar 5, 2009
Will this trigger any part of verizons security? will the system know if something was flashed?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enable all toggles + unlock native Tethering

If you have Safestrap installed and are on a MK2 or MJ7 rom/build you can flash the corresponding zip below and you will unlock native built-in tethering and also get all the toggles including the usually absent Wifi Hotspot toggle. Both versions have been tested and confirmed to be work. This also enables all the missing toggles, not only the Wifi Hotspot toggle. Toggle issue = solved. If you don't have Safestrap then let me know, I'll write up a script to do the same thing if needed.

@Scottchy014 made an awesome video of the process that you can watch here

Devs/Modders/Themers - You can use my script without my permission and you don't need to give me credit. I don't do this for ego/pride I'm already narcissistic enough as it is.

I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_&_toggle.zip
    md5:690b28f995fe7b33d2f1407a25b1abea

MJ7 Tether unlock w/ toggle
    md5:b382d98e112adc5e48c7b37b2bb4bd6a

MK2 Tether unlock w/ toggle
    md5:12e3eab158521d355ddd3956f340cf70

Developed by Surge1223
    11/02/2013

Instructions:

(Try the alternate method below first, it seems to work with less errors, but if you insist on using the script then FOR MK2 replace all instances of "MJ7" below with "MK2")

also make sure you have busybox installed and are using SuperSu and not the chinese superuser.
    Finally, before continuing, remember to disable the Knox apps (5 I believe?) and security apps (the 4 VZW security apps) install busybox, remove the Chinese superuser, update SuperSu's binaries, enable usb debugging and under security disable verify apps while enabling unknown sources.

Code:
    su
    sh tether.sh

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.Code:apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
    su
    sh untether.sh
    Downloads

MJ7
    Download the zip here
    Alternate link:
    Mirror
    MD5
    : 029780a103ab8fb4929bb83b2270d6ef
    To download just the modded MJ7 framework-res.apk click here

MK2

Download the zip here
    MD5
    :
    ed0e0f974d7d8720690b8eb96461b5f3
    To download just the modded
    MK2 framework-res.apk click here

ALTERNATE METHOD

DO NOT RENAME the original framework-res.apk file! You will have to use an Odin tar to recover!
    1.Download the modded framework-res.apk from here for MJ7 or here for MK2 then copy it to /system first then change framework-res.apk's permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644) and then MOVE it to /system/framework and overwrite framework-res.apk. Then reboot and you should have tethering!

Simply copy and pasting will cause you to boot loop so instead move it to /system first and change the permissions then and only then move it to /system/framework/ and overwrite the original

The Mod itself:

Code:
    Code: 

usb\\d
            rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan
       [color=red] [/color]

[color=red]com.samsung.spg
            com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity[/color]

Code:
    Code

usb\\d
            rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan

[COLOR=Lime]7[/COLOR]

Give credit to @open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page. Also @Sir_Eagle for the MK2 framework-res.apk
    I found a way to add the hotspot toggle with these steps and see pics

TB Restore fixer fixes where it won't let you open the settings.storage

Go to settings.storage then system and follow pics.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Hi Bizmaniz,

Can you elaborate on this a bit for us n00bs? I've successfully used Towelroot and installed Supersu. How do I install busybox? (safely) and which safestrap version did you install? Is there a link to the terminal command?

Thanks!!

Okay so I got brave and answered my own questions.

From stock Galaxy S4 with NC5 update, using the following download:
    http://click.xda-developers.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14060473045856&key=f0a7f91912ae2b52e0700f73990eb321&libId=4ce4aa1c-4ecd-4f46-b32a-2f2cb57facb8&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2512981%26highlight%3Ds4%26page%3D30&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fd-h.st%2FeRV&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D54168690%26highlight%3Ds4&title=%5BMOD%5D%204.3%20Tether%20Unlock%20MJ7%20%26%20MK2%20%2B%20enab%E2%80%A6%20-%20Pg.%2030%20%7C%20Verizon%20Galaxy%20S4%20%7C%20XDA%20Forum&txt=I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_%26amp%3B_toggle.zip

1) Use Towelroot.com to root phone
    2) Install Supersu from the play store. Open it, install update, and reboot. (I had to reboot twice for some reason before this worked)
    3) Confirm root with Root checker basic app from play store. (optional)
    4) Install Busybox from Play store
    -Open Busybox and click install. Should work with the new root privileges.
    5) Copy the framework-res.apk file from the NC5 download above located in /system/framework, to the SDcard in a folder called NC5. (Renam the file to NC5framework-res.apk)
    6) Install a Terminal Emulator from the play store and open it. Use the following commands.

Note: This does back up the original framework in case you want to go back to stock again. Do these in the order listed!!
    All commands below are CaSe SeNsAtIvE

a) su
    b) busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
    c) busybox cp /system/framework/framework-res.apk /mnt/extSdCard/NC5/NC5orig-framework-res.apk
    d) busybox cp /mnt/extSdCard/NC5/NC5framework-res.apk /system/NC5framework-res.apk
    e) busybox chmod 644 /system/NC5framework-res.apk
    f) busybox mv /system/NC5framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    g) reboot

I now have the latest 4.4.2 update with working tether!! Big thanks for everyone's hard work!!!

chmod 644 = rw-r--r--

Group - 4 = read only
    Others -4 = read only

Number convention:

4 = read only
    2 = write only
    4 + 2 = 6
    6 = read and write

5 = read and execute
    5+2 =7

I don't have safestrap any other way to get it done

Well aside from installing safestrap 3.72? Sure just extract the framework-res.apk from the zip (located in the zip system/framework folder) move/copy the framework-res.apk to /system, set the permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--) then MOVE (do not copy and paste) the framework-res.apk from /system to /system/framework and overwrite the old framework-res.apk. Then reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app