ICS a place to chat

Search This thread

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Ok I thought I would start a page for everyone trying out the new beloved ICS alpha roms to talk. This way the developers can work and their pages stay clean.

I have installed the latest preview 1 plus the zip labled as hardware acceleration. plus the inivisable tweaks. This thing is running like a champ now. the keyboard is responsive. I turned off the animations and forced the 2d gpu settings. I also have v6 supercharger installed. Been running for almost 4 hours without any random reboots. 3d games will suck but the 2d ones are running good.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Last edited by a moderator:

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Preview 4
What I have found that works
sms
wifi
1x
3g
Bluetooth
calls
gallery
hardware acceleration
gps
sound
moms
headphones

What does not work or work correctly

camera
4g (not that it will ever work for me Cricket does not support it)

this is all I have had time to test.

I would like to thank all the developers for all their had work. This is great so far!!

Last edited:
Reactions: boombotz401

Android 17

Jun 15, 2010
Seems like people keep having hissy fits in the development thread.

But anyway, I'm excited to get proper HA and headphone port fixed, when that happens, this will be my daily.

I use Netflix too often to live without using headphones.

There's been great progress so far though. I popped over the Epic 4G Touch thread and they're nowhere near as close to getting a workable ICS like we are, just makes me happy I didn't upgrade to the Touch, I was very close to it.

man i posted a long post pertaining to getting email to properly work on the preview in the thread where they were ranting about the ics thread being locked and a min later the thread is gone ha should have copied it to a .txt document... o well ill write it out again

aside from everything already listed as working or not working..

market now lets you download and install which didnt work in A5

I had issues getting my exchange server at work and my phone to work.

The process i went through to get this to work was:

reboot into recovery
wipe data/reset to factory
wipe cache partition
wipe dalvik cache
Flash ROM
Flash hw_eccel
Flash uninvisibletweaks
Reboot phone

Then i setup all the incoming server configuration settings and connected finally everything is syncing

Rebooted into recovery
Flashed GAPPS for ICS
Rebooted and was good to go

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
On my second day of daily use and cannot believe how well this is running. No reboots. My only dislike is the lack of buttons in the notification bar. I can't wait for a beta version to be released. Having the camera working would be awesome. I want the lock screen that recognizes my face! That would be super cool.

Evo 4g on Cricket.

bakeup631

Nov 30, 2011
Huntington, Ny
anybody having issues getting the home key to work? when i flashed a4 for the first time, i didnt have it working, then after a i wiped it and tried a few times i got it working...now on the latest update i havent been able to get it to work no matter how many times i try

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
I have had no issues with it so far, but as we know not all evos are created equal. The next release is due out later tonight or tomorrow. Headphones will be working along with a few other things. They are testing a new kernel. Will post more as it becomes available. Till then have fun with your new play toy!

Evo 4g on Cricket.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Preview 3 ics is out. Headphones now working and hardware acceleration is a go!

DertyDOH

Dec 30, 2010
I've been running Preview 3 all day, pretty awesome, way faster than all the previous releases

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Well I just got preview 3 installed and must say it is great! Although I was wrong about the headphones they still don't work but the gallery does. Preview 4 is scheduled to be released tonight and headphones and mms is claimed to be fixed.

ICS evo 4g on cricket

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
I have installed preview 4. Gallery is working along with the headphones. I had some issues with the browser closing immediately after opening but a couple of reboots later and it worked fine. Also a few display anomalies in landscape view but nothing consistent. Google is now syncing my apps. Still no camera yet but its on the way soon. Mms will send and receive! 3d games I use are working but are little bit slow yet usable. Newest version of script manager does work and so does v6 supercharger.

criccio

May 23, 2010
I can confirm that if you wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache, you can flash P4 over P3 with no ill effects.

Andr3wD

Nov 6, 2010
Atlanta
Preview 4 is good enough that I am now using it as a daily rom. But it has some weird issues, like after awhile apps won't open. They open then close right away, like the browser problem in the post above me. Hmm...ctually it may be that I have to close some apps from the multitask menu. I just thought about that idea. lol.

And the screen has a hard time coming on. But besides the obvious it's working great.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Did a benchmark test on this rom and it is right in line with the scores I got using cm7.
45aba0d3-4ecf-48c5.jpg

I have v6 supercharger installed but have not installed the unvisabletweaks.zip on preview 4 yet.

Last edited:

.Nox

Nov 13, 2011
Atlanta
Ive been running the ICS P4 since last night and am loving it! Its butter smooth and I've only ran into a few snags. The primary being my home button isn't working and neither is flash. I'll try reflashing to see if i cant get the home button to work. These guys have done some amazing work! (Post 1 of 10, damn developers restriction)

vulcan001

Sep 27, 2011
Aisle 10
Im having some problems with my ICS flash. The phone is flashed fine, did a minimal data, cache, & dalvik cache wipe but when flashed & running the menus a laggish on mine. But when loaded into an app it runs quickly. My market is all jacked up not allowing me to download some things, as i know some apps arent compatible. Help?

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Second day on preview 4 with only one reboot. While using the xda app it froze and rebooted. Most of my apps work but I had to update a few to get them working. My gps is good within 15 ft. No sluggish menus but I also did a full wipe of everything. Market downloads have also not been an issue for me either. I am using the gapps listed as preferred. On the ics keyboard I can't get all caps to stay on, but I use SwiftKey X so it is not even a issue for me. Last night I flashed unvisable tweaks and only made about 3 point difference on the benchmark.

vulcan001

Sep 27, 2011
Aisle 10
Well just did a full factory wipe then a data wipe & all that biz & got the rom flashed with everything else & the rom is working absolutely awesome! Got no complaints besides my messages not going out if they exceed a certain character limit... Wonder whats wrong? Any fixes?

Did a benchmark test on this rom and it is right in line with the scores I got using cm7.
45aba0d3-4ecf-48c5.jpg

I have v6 supercharger installed but have not installed the unvisabletweaks.zip on preview 4 yet.

Btw jlmancuso how do you get the v6 script running on your phone? I got the zip file but it doesnt install says it needs update.txt or something like that.

Last edited:

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Vulcan001 make sure you have the newest script manager installed and supercharger update 9.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok I thought I would start a page for everyone trying out the new beloved ICS alpha roms to talk. This way the developers can work and their pages stay clean.

I have installed the latest preview 1 plus the zip labled as hardware acceleration. plus the inivisable tweaks. This thing is running like a champ now. the keyboard is responsive. I turned off the animations and forced the 2d gpu settings. I also have v6 supercharger installed. Been running for almost 4 hours without any random reboots. 3d games will suck but the 2d ones are running good.

Is there an ICS build that works all the way?

I'm not sure what you mean by "all the way," but if you mean front facing camera, camcorder, 4G, etc.... then no. Not even close.

If you mean something that is usable as an everyday device, then yes. They are very stable, very smooth, and very fun to use. Pretty much all of them are roughly the same right now. They almost all have full hardware acceleration, camera (with some slight bugs), and are slick and stable.

My personal favorite at the moment is the latest build of the AOKP (Build 31). It is unbelievably smooth - by far the most responsive ROM my phone has ever seen. Only one reboot I believe, and that could be kernel-related because I wasn't using the stock kernel (I tried the Mason 0.14 SBC non-fso kernel, which is awesome for battery life by the way).
    Preview 4
    What I have found that works
    sms
    wifi
    1x
    3g
    Bluetooth
    calls
    gallery
    hardware acceleration
    gps
    sound
    moms
    headphones

What does not work or work correctly

camera
    4g (not that it will ever work for me Cricket does not support it)

this is all I have had time to test.

I would like to thank all the developers for all their had work. This is great so far!!

Let me preface this by saying I appreciate all the hard work all the dev's have done on these builds, and they are all pretty good in their own respects, but JaredtheGreat's ICS rom v2.3, which I'm running right now, is easily my favorite. It's running smoother for me than any of the other builds from deck or platt and I'm having absolutely no issues with fc's, etc. I'd definitely recommend trying this one out if your having any issues with the other ICS builds

:edit my mistake they do have an ics build.

The reason its so stable is that it is only a heavily themed version of 7.1. It does have a few ics features yet it is not ics. Not trying to bad mouth a good rom here but don't want anyone thinking it is something it's not.

AOKP vs. MIUI.

So I'm currently checking out AOKP to compare it to the latest MIUI where I came from. I'm using NOVA launcher for both. To begin with they're very similar (Of course coming from the same code base). Both have the same issues (Front camera, Video recording, and Netflix don't work. Buttons don't light up. Battery consumption is very high). Other than that most everything seems to work.

AOKP seems a bit faster and I do like some of the customization options they provide with ROM control. Some of these don't seem to work for me or maybe I'm doing something wrong, but anything related to the lockscreen doesn't seem to work (i.e. Lockscreen style, volume music controls, fast torch, etc).

Even with ROM Control MIUI is still ahead when it comes to customization options. Themes still don't apply correctly in MIUI and a few options are missing as compared to the last GB version. A matter of preference I guess, but I still like the MIUI dialer way better than even the latest ICS dialer.

Bottom line is right now I'm undecided whether to stay with AOKP or go back to MIUI...They're both daily driver material for me as I don't need Netflix or Camcorder on a regular basis. I'll jump on whichever release the next version first.

Edit: My battery usage was very high, but after I did Battery Calibration it seem actually pretty decent. Right now standing at 30% after 15+ hours with moderate use. Torch still doesn't work by pressing the home button.

Just a note Jared has just put up a MIUI based ICS..it's in beta so there will be some glitches..but if you like MIUI might be worth a look..it on his site blazing-rom