[Q] Installing apps to SD card in Moto E. Help needed

Search This thread

compiro1

May 18, 2014
Hi,
I am new to Android and Moto E is my first device. I cannot install apps directly to SD card from PlayStore. Some of the apps can be moved to SD card by accessing the app settings through : Settings>Apps.

I would like to know how can i install apps to SD card directly. Also i have another query, how can i install apps from SD card using apk. (There's no apk installer in MOTO E).

Thanks
compiro

TheStrix

Recognized Developer
May 10, 2014
Mumbai
Hi,
I am new to Android and Moto E is my first device. I cannot install apps directly to SD card from PlayStore. Some of the apps can be moved to SD card by accessing the app settings through : Settings>Apps.

I would like to know how can i install apps to SD card directly. Also i have another query, how can i install apps from SD card using apk. (There's no apk installer in MOTO E).

Thanks
compiro

The apps downloaded through play store cant be automatically installed in sd card...
U hav to move it manually..
Some apps cant be moved to sd card..
And i think you can install .apk files downloaded to sd card by tapping on it and select package installer and then click on install button...:victory::good:

compiro1

May 18, 2014
The apps downloaded through play store cant be automatically installed in sd card...
U hav to move it manually..
Some apps cant be moved to sd card..
And i think you can install .apk files downloaded to sd card by tapping on it and select package installer and then click on install button...:victory::good:

Yes i agree some apps can't be moved to SD card.
Regarding my second query, there is no file manager in MOTO E. So how can i access the apk file and tap on it to install it?
Help is appreciated.:angel::)

Regards
compiro

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in
Regarding my second query, there is no file manager in MOTO E. So how can i access the apk file and tap on it to install it?

Regards
compiro

Answer to your 1st question :
Its not upon Play store that where your app gets installed.
Its upon the App Developer.
In Android Manigest File of the app there's a line that tells Android where the app should get installed.
There 3 three different options namely :

Auto - This means that it can be installed on both internal and external sd card but at the time of installation it gets installed on internal memory and can be manually moved to external as in your case.

Prefer External - Same as auto but directly gets installed to external sd card if present.

Internal Only - Can only be installed on Internal Sd card and can't be moved to external.

For your 2nd question I have answered that in another thread.
Read it there.

Sent from my XT1022

Mrtoxicgamer10

Hi,

Thanks
compiro

As per your query, When you download some bigger applications/games such as Asphalt 8 - they get installed on the SD card automatically (if there's SD card inserted in your device).

and for your Second query, try this method :

Step 1 : Download Android SDK (Click HERE)
Step 2 : Install adb drivers on your System (your device should automatically install them when connected through USB)
Step 3 : Install Motorola Device Manager (Download from HERE)
Step 4 : When Downloading Android SDK is completed, Go to Platform-tools (Path : adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools)
Step 5 : Open Command Prompt in Platform-tools folder (Right Click>Open Command Windows here)
Step 6 : Now Enter the following command to see if the device is set to default for Internal Memory or External Memory :
Type : adb devices (to see if your devices is connected)
adb shell pm get-install-location (to see if default apps/games installation is set ot Internal memory or External memory)
adb shell pm set-install-location 2 (No. 2 indicates that you are going to set default installation to External Memory)

Congratulations !! You have successfully set your Moto E default installation to SD card. Have fun !

coolsandie

Oct 22, 2011
Kochi, Kerala
coolsandie.github.io
I don't think SD card really is useful for apps, because even though there is an option to "Move to SD", only small portion is moved which maybe not at all useful (Remember, Kitkat imposed some changes in SD card write, access etc) The data files are not moved like in Jellybean. As for Asphalt 8, 98% of the app lies in internal storage even though its moved to SD card. So moving, I don't think its very useful for apps.
Anyways I don't own this device, and the above points are said with respect to review videos seen in Youtube.

Reactions: compiro1

aliennastik

Jun 28, 2013
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I don't think SD card really is useful for apps, because even though there is an option to "Move to SD", only small portion is moved which maybe not at all useful (Remember, Kitkat imposed some changes in SD card write, access etc) The data files are not moved like in Jellybean. As for Asphalt 8, 98% of the app lies in internal storage even though its moved to SD card. So moving, I don't think its very useful for apps.
Anyways I don't own this device, and the above points are said with respect to review videos seen in Youtube.

can i copy obb files in external sd card for asphalt 8?

zoneofSAM

As per your query, When you download some bigger applications/games such as Asphalt 8 - they get installed on the SD card automatically (if there's SD card inserted in your device).

Step 2 : Install adb drivers on your System (your device should automatically install them when connected through USB)
Step 4 : When Downloading Android SDK is completed, Go to Platform-tools (Path : adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools)
Step 5 : Open Command Prompt in Platform-tools folder (Right Click>Open Command Windows here)
Step 6 : Now Enter the following command to see if the device is set to default for Internal Memory or External Memory :
adb shell pm get-install-location (to see if default apps/games installation is set ot Internal memory or External memory)
adb shell pm set-install-location 2 (No. 2 indicates that you are going to set default installation to External Memory)

Congratulations !! You have successfully set your Moto E default installation to SD card. Have fun !

Does the phone need to be rooted for this process??

Reactions: st@rk

-Adarsh-

Jun 18, 2013
Balasore
OnePlus Nord
help

i installed asphalt 8 and ran smooth when cache files are in phone memory.but when i moved them to sd card manually game force closes..
and move to sd option do not move the cache files..i.e. 1+ gb
plz help friends

aliennastik

Jun 28, 2013
Redmi Note 10 Pro

i tried this procedure but nothing happened.... still default installation in phone memory.....

default value was zero 0 and i changed it to 2...
now if i tried to know the default pathway of installation.... there comes an error.... quoting that "no default pathway".....
what to do now.... i want to play asphalt 8 with obb files in memory card as phone memory is very less....

mailppl

Sep 21, 2012
PUNE
Hi people I have a question >> can Whatsapp be transferred to external sdcard...and if yes then do all images and videos shared on whatsapp get stored on external sd or internal sd... kindly let me know...accordingly I may decide to purchase the phone.

Small_town_boy

Sep 11, 2011
Bangalore
OnePlus 6
Hi people I have a question >> can Whatsapp be transferred to external sdcard...and if yes then do all images and videos shared on whatsapp get stored on external sd or internal sd... kindly let me know...accordingly I may decide to purchase the phone.
I guess everything from WhatsApp stays on internal memory itself :(
when I placed the WhatsApp folder from my old phone on SD card it didn't get recognized from the app...as soon as I moved the folder to internal memory the app picked it and restored my conversations

So bottom line WhatsApp folder can't be moved to external memory, AFAIK[emoji106]

Sent from my XT1022

mailppl

Sep 21, 2012
PUNE
I guess everything from WhatsApp stays on internal memory itself :(
when I placed the WhatsApp folder from my old phone on SD card it didn't get recognized from the app...as soon as I moved the folder to internal memory the app picked it and restored my conversations

So bottom line WhatsApp folder can't be moved to external memory, AFAIK[emoji106]

Sent from my XT1022
That suxks then..considering the tons of photos and videos that are shared on whatsapp these days :( no workaround available ?

coolsandie

Oct 22, 2011
Kochi, Kerala
coolsandie.github.io
I guess its basically because Internal memory is recognized as "sdcard0" and SD-card as "sdcard1".
In my old Karbonn phone which runs 4.2.2 ... SDcard is recognized as "sdcard0" and Internal SD card as "sdcard1" .. So everything got installed or copied into the Microsd card this way. So if there's a way to revert those, maybe it solves, though not sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Thanks
    compiro

^^^100% working ^^^ I got a fix...! U can install OBB directly from PC into sdcard..!

I got a fix...! U can install OBB directly from PC into sdcard..! ***WORKING 100%***

You need a rooted phone with FolderMount installed in it : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount

First copy the APK in phone and install it..... Don't run the game now..... Then later copy the name of the obb folder like.. : for asphalt 8 it is : com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM

copy the name title of folder...
    go to phone memory's Android/obb folder and create a folder of the same name...

you have now a folder in phonememory's OBB as com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM
    Dont copy your data yet...

Go to foldermount and click the ""+"" icon over and insert some name for the pair... Then go in source directory and just select the "android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM" directory..

DO NOT MOUNT THE FOLDER YET....

Now copy the data file into the folder.... after finishing the copying... Mount the folder and run the game :D:D:good::good::good: You did it....

CAREFUL: DO NOT INSTALL GaME AFTER COPYING THE DATA coz the game installer erases the data..!

Please press thanks as this method works... If you need any assistance then I will be uploading a video shortly..!

PRESS THANKS :D

Regards
    compiro

Answer to your 1st question :
    Its not upon Play store that where your app gets installed.
    Its upon the App Developer.
    In Android Manigest File of the app there's a line that tells Android where the app should get installed.
    There 3 three different options namely :

Auto - This means that it can be installed on both internal and external sd card but at the time of installation it gets installed on internal memory and can be manually moved to external as in your case.

Prefer External - Same as auto but directly gets installed to external sd card if present.

Internal Only - Can only be installed on Internal Sd card and can't be moved to external.

For your 2nd question I have answered that in another thread.
    Read it there.

Sent from my XT1022
    can i copy obb files in external sd card for asphalt 8?

Unlock your Moto E's bootloader and then Root it and then download FolderMount app from Playstore and use it move Obb files of Asphalt 8 to External storage.
    Android Lollipop

Yay Android Lollipop will store all the apps and games on SD card. Finally this functionality is coming back. Can't wait to update my Moto E. It should be available by next month!!