HTTP Music Station

Search This thread

xaxamy

Jul 4, 2013
Hello, xda!
I broke my old smartphone a month ago and I have been struggling to find a new use for it. By broke I mean totally unresponsive touchscreen, everything else works fine. That’s why I thought I could use it for something useful.

Now, my particular use case is that my hi-fi system is really far from my setup and I could only connect to it via a cable. So, the solution was to create a HTTP server to control the phone and play music.

That’s when I found I-Jetty which lets you do a lot of useful stuff like:

• Access/update/modify/remove your contacts
  • View your call logs
  • View some system settings
  • Access all of your media content – photos,videos,music,etc.
  • Find your phone! There’s a button you can press to make your phone start ringing. Really cool in my book.
  • It can also track the location of the phone? Might be useful to someone

Anyways, with the original version, accessing a file meant playback was started on the client (i.e. in the browser). I modified the code so that it would start playback on the host(i.e. the phone) as well. There is a lot more to be done to repurpose the app into a player, but this is a minimal working edition.

Let’s get to the good stuff. You need:

• I-Jetty from the Playstore : play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mortbay.ijetty
  • My modified web app goo.gl/8o752C

Installation instructions:

• Install I-Jetty
  • Install my web app
  • Run the web app. It will be called I-Jetty Console Installer.
  • Click Install
  • After installation finishes, go back to App drawer and select I-Jetty
  • Click Start Jetty
  • Go to your phone’s browser and access 127.0.0.1:8080/console
  • Click on Network
  • Username : admin , password:admin
  • Find your local IP address. It looks something like 192.168.0.104 under wlan
  • Et voila you can access your phone via the local network at the IP address you found in step 10. For me this is 192.168.0.104:8080/console
All that is left now is to put on some good music and hook it to the hi-fi system.

Hope you like it and thanks for reading. Any feedback will be appreciated :)

I will open-source the code sometime next week and keep you updated.

P.S. This is my first post so any suggestions/criticism are welcome.