[HOW-TO] Installing CM11 (or CM12) Internally on Nook Tablet

Search This thread

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

[Important Note: this process is applicable for CM11 builds that still maintains two separate partitions for /data and /media – as the case with CM10.x and stock ROMs (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more info). If/when these two partitions get merged in some future CM11 builds (as being contemplated by our NT CM developers – see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2560827&page=28) this installation process will not be valid for those future builds with merged /data+media partition].

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM11 internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. [If your NT is already running CM10.x, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670589 for a simpler process to update from CM10 to CM11]. This same process can also be used to install CM12.x -- see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64624390&postcount=21 for needed corresponding versions of CM12 ROM, Android 6.0 GApps, and EMMC-based CWM recovery.

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows
  2. Obtain and copy to the SD card the following files:
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select SDC Recovery.
  5. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your NT current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).
  6. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  7. Select install zip from SD card and install flashable CWM recovery zip file.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install CM11 zip file.
  9. Select install zip from SD card and install Gapps zip file.
  10. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service on your NT your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored).

Notes
  • If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The NT boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).
    • The NT screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.
  • Installing CM11 ROM and Gapps will override your NT's current boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using recovery backup function, for easy in reverting to previous ROM if desired. See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
    Also, I would advise against using any other functions of the recovery without first carefully researching to understand what they really do.

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created the wonderful CM11 ROM for the NT as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.

Last edited:

gammaworks

Dec 10, 2011
bad boot image

I have followed your instructions carefully. But got an error message after selecting SDC recovery option from the boot menu..

booti: bad boot image magic (in memory).

I have tried to seat the card several times, no difference. This is a SanDisk 16GB class 10 card. I have installed CM11 on it, and worked. So the card can work. Now I want to install CM11 internally.

Don't know what else to try at this point. Please help. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

I have followed your instructions carefully. But got an error message after selecting SDC recovery option from the boot menu..

booti: bad boot image magic (in memory).

Never mind, I have picked the wrong recovery.img. Ooops.

gammaworks

Dec 10, 2011
did not work for me

Installing it internally for the first time. Did not work...

set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/cm-11-... SNAPSHOT-M4-acclaim.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/cm-11...SNAPSHOT-m4-acclaim.zip'

It appears I have bricked my nook tablet.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Installing it internally for the first time. Did not work...

set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/cm-11-... SNAPSHOT-M4-acclaim.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/cm-11...SNAPSHOT-m4-acclaim.zip'
Which version of SD based recovery did you use?

Also, you might want to consider to first flash CM10.x (see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51377882&postcount=163) then later update to CM11.

gammaworks

Dec 10, 2011
come back from the dead

Which version of SD based recovery did you use?

Also, you might want to consider to first flash CM10.x (see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51377882&postcount=163) then later update to CM11.

Thanks. An youtube video helped me out in the end: watch?v=3YYXtGAt6GY

What did I do differently this time? After installed openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-acclaim-sdcard.img onto emmc, I rebooted NT without a SD card. The TWRP boot menu came up. I put the SD card back in. The SD card has CM11 and Gapps zip files. I then selected internal EMMC recovery (that is the key I think):

factory reset
install cm-11-20140405-SNAPSHOT-M5-acclaim.zip
install pa_gapps-modular-mini-4.4.2-20140321a-signed.zip

Now I have Android 4.4.2 running on my NT.

bobzdar

Jan 14, 2011
Thanks. An youtube video helped me out in the end: watch?v=3YYXtGAt6GY

What did I do differently this time? After installed openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-acclaim-sdcard.img onto emmc, I rebooted NT without a SD card. The TWRP boot menu came up. I put the SD card back in. The SD card has CM11 and Gapps zip files. I then selected internal EMMC recovery (that is the key I think):

factory reset
install cm-11-20140405-SNAPSHOT-M5-acclaim.zip
install pa_gapps-modular-mini-4.4.2-20140321a-signed.zip

Now I have Android 4.4.2 running on my NT.

I did the same as you and get stuck at the CM boot screen. Tried 2x reflashing and keep getting stuck at the CM boot screen with the spinning arrow.

nm, 3rd time was the charm for some reason :). Going through setup now, thanks!

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I did the same as you and get stuck at the CM boot screen. Tried 2x reflashing and keep getting stuck at the CM boot screen with the spinning arrow.

nm, 3rd time was the charm for some reason :). Going through setup now, thanks!
How long did you wait for the first-time boot to complete?

FWIW successful first-time boot typically takes 3 to 4 min.

bobzdar

Jan 14, 2011

I waited around 15 minutes the first two times. I could tell it was doing something different the 3rd time as the swirling arrow would stop briefly as it presumably loaded things while the first two times it just swirled non-stop.

Reactions: rhenry56

rhenry56

Sep 24, 2014
Great procedures

[Important Note: this process is applicable for CM11 builds that still maintains two separate partitions for /data and /media – as the case with CM10.x and stock ROMs (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more info). If/when these two partitions get merged in some future CM11 builds (as being contemplated by our NT CM developers – see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2560827&page=28) this installation process will not be valid for those future builds with merged /data+media partition].

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM11 internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. [If your NT is already running CM10.x, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670589 for a simpler process to update from CM10 to CM11].

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select SDC Recovery.
  5. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your NT current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service on your NT your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored).

Notes
  • If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The NT boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).
    • The NT screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.
  • Installing CM11 ROM and Gapps will override your NT's current boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using recovery backup function, for easy in reverting to previous ROM if desired. See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
    Also, I would advise against using any other functions of the recovery without first carefully researching to understand what they really do.

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created the wonderful CM11 ROM for the NT as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.

Your procedures worked out great. I've managed to take a stock Nook Table and have it running KitKat 4.4.4 in 3 day. The 1st 2 days I had only managed to root it and play around a bit. Thanks to every ones great work I'm up and running. 1st boot was a bit interesting as I renamed openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-acclaim-sdcard.img to recovery.img.img but after review the SD Card / rebuilding there were no more issues. it it booted and worked great. Thanks again ===

Reactions: BornReady_

Allkair

Nov 9, 2014
I ran into a problem and am hoping for a hand. My NT boots perfectly form the SD card and loads up the recovery screen while following the instructions, I made a backup, but when I go to do the data wipe and factory reset or start to install the CWM file I get an error of "E: Unable to mount '/BootData' ".

I have tried starting over by resetting up the Nook and registering it again, but same thing. If I pull out the SD card it boots right up into use as a standard NT ready to register and go.

I am going to try again starting over and with a different version of TWRP just in case that is the issue.

Thanks for the help!

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I ran into a problem and am hoping for a hand. My NT boots perfectly form the SD card and loads up the recovery screen while following the instructions, I made a backup, but when I go to do the data wipe and factory reset or start to install the CWM file I get an error of "E: Unable to mount '/BootData' ".

I have tried starting over by resetting up the Nook and registering it again, but same thing. If I pull out the SD card it boots right up into use as a standard NT ready to register and go.

I am going to try again starting over and with a different version of TWRP just in case that is the issue.
Did you try TWRP v2.6.3.0 (openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-acclaim-sdcard.img at http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/acclaim)?

Reactions: Allkair

Allkair

Nov 9, 2014
Working

Thanks for the help. Along the way I did get it working on the night of 11/10, I just forgot to post that :p. 9th try is the charm I guess? In any case I tried first with TWRP 2.8.1.0 and then went back to 2.6.3.1 and then on my last attempt tried again with 2.8.1.0 and it worked so I have a NT running the last monthly of 11 and so far no issues. The sad news is that I have no idea what I did different to make it work the final time vs the first couple of try's.

coloradonate

Oct 31, 2015
YES YES YES!! It works! I've been struggling for more weeks than I care to admit to install CM 12. I've followed nearly every tutorial I can find and pursued WAY too many paths (bootable SD, fastboot, root) and couldn't get anything to work. Probably my very minimal knowledge of this subject is the culprit, but I've done a ton of research. Finally I decided to give CM 11 a shot and found this post. What a life saver!! Thank you everyone for your contributions to make this possible even for laymen like me!

FWIW, I couldn't get it to work with the "flashable_TWRP_2.6.3.1.zip" included in the mediafire folder provided by digixmax. I deleted that from the SD, downloaded 2.6.3.1 from the TWRP website (note: SD version) and it worked! I also tried the non-SD version of TWRP 2.6.3.1 and it didn't work...required the SD version to work. You guys rock!

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
FWIW, I couldn't get it to work with the "flashable_TWRP_2.6.3.1.zip" included in the mediafire folder provided by digixmax. I deleted that from the SD, downloaded 2.6.3.1 from the TWRP website (note: SD version) and it worked! I also tried the non-SD version of TWRP 2.6.3.1 and it didn't work...required the SD version to work. You guys rock!
You need to use the SD version of CWM or TWRP to flash CM from SD.

flashable_TWRP_2.6.3.1.zip is a flashable zip to flash and install TWRP itself into EMMC.

coloradonate

Oct 31, 2015
So if I download the most recent TWRP and CM 12.1 zip, could I simply replace the 2 older TWRP and CM 11 files on my SD? Would that actually work to get 12.1? It seems like the other files are only related to the bootloader and should be universal to work with any recovery and CM zip. Somehow I doubt it's that easy..

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
So if I download the most recent TWRP and CM 12.1 zip, could I simply replace the 2 older TWRP and CM 11 files on my SD? Would that actually work to get 12.1? It seems like the other files are only related to the bootloader and should be universal to work with any recovery and CM zip. Somehow I doubt it's that easy..
The function of the 2 files MLO and u-boot.bin is to boot the NT and load CyanoBoot (the 3rd file flashing_boot.img) which in turns would enable you to select and load the recovery.img file on the SD card; hence they should be invariant of the CM version you want to flash.

All you need is a copy of SD-based (TWRP) recovery.img version that is compatible with CM12.x and the GApps package.

Last edited:
Reactions: coloradonate

coloradonate

Oct 31, 2015
Wow, it worked with 12.1! I have stumbled upon THE thread that finally helped me get this to work. Countless dead ends and I finally found it.

I took the plunge and tried installing cm12.1. Per post #1 in this thread, I used the same flashing_boot.img, MLO, and u-boot.bin that's in digixmax's mediafire folder. Also used the same flashable_CWM_6.0.4.8_chrmhoffmann.zip per post #1.

The files that are different from post #1 in this thread are: the most recent CM12.1 release (as of tonight: cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K6-acclaim.zip), the most recent TWRP for SD (as of tonight: twrp-2.8.6.0-acclaim-sdcard.img; renamed to recovery.img before copying to SD as suggested) and a compatible gapps version. A little google searching led me to the pico gapps from TKruzze that I got from post #1 of this link (http://xdaforums.com/android/software/tk-gapps-t3116347). I downloaded this from the BasketBuild link under "Proper DPI Play Services" of the Pico Modular Package in post #1 of that link I just mentioned. I followed the same directions that were in post #1 of this thread that originally gave me success with CM11, and sure enough it all worked great with CM12.1. I'm now running CM12.1 and couldn't be happier.

A HUGE THANK YOU to digixmax and everyone else who contributed to the creation of these seemingly universal files (e.g., flashing_boot.img, MLO, u-boot.bin, etc.) to enable this to work. And of course a THANK YOU to the CWM, TWRP and CM developers. Seriously, you guys rock.

Reactions: nnya and nmyshkin

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
can someone check if my files are correct? especially the first 3 since I cant boot from SD no matter how many time I reformat, redownload, recopy....

Did you boot from power-off by inserting a powered USB cable?

Also, make sure that MLO is the very first file you copy to the freshly reformatted, empty SD card.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM11 internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. [If your NT is already running CM10.x, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670589 for a simpler process to update from CM10 to CM11]. This same process can also be used to install CM12.x -- see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64624390&postcount=21 for needed corresponding versions of CM12 ROM, Android 6.0 GApps, and EMMC-based CWM recovery.

4. Select SDC Recovery.

Notes

Wow, it worked with 12.1! I have stumbled upon THE thread that finally helped me get this to work. Countless dead ends and I finally found it.

I took the plunge and tried installing cm12.1. Per post #1 in this thread, I used the same flashing_boot.img, MLO, and u-boot.bin that's in digixmax's mediafire folder. Also used the same flashable_CWM_6.0.4.8_chrmhoffmann.zip per post #1.

The files that are different from post #1 in this thread are: the most recent CM12.1 release (as of tonight: cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K6-acclaim.zip), the most recent TWRP for SD (as of tonight: twrp-2.8.6.0-acclaim-sdcard.img; renamed to recovery.img before copying to SD as suggested) and a compatible gapps version. A little google searching led me to the pico gapps from TKruzze that I got from post #1 of this link (http://xdaforums.com/android/software/tk-gapps-t3116347). I downloaded this from the BasketBuild link under "Proper DPI Play Services" of the Pico Modular Package in post #1 of that link I just mentioned. I followed the same directions that were in post #1 of this thread that originally gave me success with CM11, and sure enough it all worked great with CM12.1. I'm now running CM12.1 and couldn't be happier.

A HUGE THANK YOU to digixmax and everyone else who contributed to the creation of these seemingly universal files (e.g., flashing_boot.img, MLO, u-boot.bin, etc.) to enable this to work. And of course a THANK YOU to the CWM, TWRP and CM developers. Seriously, you guys rock.

I waited around 15 minutes the first two times. I could tell it was doing something different the 3rd time as the swirling arrow would stop briefly as it presumably loaded things while the first two times it just swirled non-stop.
    Great procedures

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM11 internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. [If your NT is already running CM10.x, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670589 for a simpler process to update from CM10 to CM11].

4. Select SDC Recovery.

Notes

Your procedures worked out great. I've managed to take a stock Nook Table and have it running KitKat 4.4.4 in 3 day. The 1st 2 days I had only managed to root it and play around a bit. Thanks to every ones great work I'm up and running. 1st boot was a bit interesting as I renamed openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-acclaim-sdcard.img to recovery.img.img but after review the SD Card / rebuilding there were no more issues. it it booted and worked great. Thanks again ===

Did you try TWRP v2.6.3.0 (openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-acclaim-sdcard.img at http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/acclaim)?