If you had to choose..

Search This thread

Amer28

Mar 16, 2013
LG V30
My sincere apologies if this breaks the rules of this community, but I'm stuck between three cell phones and I'm having troubles making a decision.

If you had to choose between these three smartphones, which one would it be? ANd please do explain your reasoning.

DROID MAXX)

HTC ONE (m7

LG G2

I would appreciate no bias. Thanks in advance.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
My sincere apologies if this breaks the rules of this community, but I'm stuck between three cell phones and I'm having troubles making a decision.

If you had to choose between these three smartphones, which one would it be? ANd please do explain your reasoning.

DROID MAXX)

HTC ONE (m7

LG G2

I would appreciate no bias. Thanks in advance.

How can you ask which one I would like and then say no bias. Its all bias. I like moto due to build quality and vanilla android also timely updates. HTC is horrible with updates. LG I have never owned one but both the m7 and g2 are heavily skinned that is not for me.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
How can you ask which one I would like and then say no bias. Its all bias. I like moto due to build quality and vanilla android also timely updates. HTC is horrible with updates. LG I have never owned one but both the m7 and g2 are heavily skinned that is not for me.

Well, since you are in the Droid Ultra (including Mini and Maxx) forum, the answer will probably universally "get the Maxx". Seriously, those were the same three choices last January when I got my Maxx.

pujdo1

Aug 26, 2011
is the battery life the most important one for you ? --> get the maxx

better build quality and feel ? --> get the htc one

lg g2 ? idk benefits of it sry, never had this device in my hands.

yes i would say get the maxx, but if you want better specs then you should go with the htc one or lg g2.

one problem of the g2 is, that it has a closed bootloader and it cant be unlocked, like the droid maxx (except the developer edition which costs more).

the htc one should be able to be bootloader unlocked, as long as htc didnt change their bootloader policy.

do you want to flash or stay at stock ?

stock:
lg g2 with a heavily customized android
htc one heavily customized
maxx nearly stock android

flashing/modding:
lg g2 locked bootloader, so big problems for flashing
htc one possible unlockable (at least the retail device without a carrier branding, but idk, as i am not in the usa and only buying retail phones)
maxx unlock possible only on dev edition (or older 2013 devices with a chinese guy)

reggie14

May 29, 2010
I love the battery life of my Maxx, but it's noticeably more sluggish than my Nexus 7 tablet, which suggests its probably noticeably more sluggish than the M7 or G2.

The M7 is a great looking phone. HTC has been doing better lately with updates. The M7 on Verizon got the Sense 6 update ( with Android v.4.4.2) back in May. And, as far as custom skins go, Sense is actually pretty good. If you're not set on a near-stock experience, you might be really happy with Sense. My biggest concern with the One was battery life. The M7's battery life isn't anywhere near as good as the Maxx. The M8, on the other hand, is a big improvement over the M7 in terms of battery life. I'd be awfully tempted to get that one now, although I'd be even happier with a Google Play Edition M8 (if it worked on Verizon).

I'm not a big fan of the design (build quality or button placement) of the G2, or the OEM skin, but the hardware and battery life are nice.

Amer28

Mar 16, 2013
LG V30
I do understand the criticism here concerning my decision to ask this question here. The reason I did so however is because I also decided to go for the MAXX, and that is the phone I have right now.

Stupidly though, I decided to update to Android 4.4 and now am stuck without the ability to root the phone - at least for the time being.

I can't help but wonder though if I made the right choice. I still have time to go back and exchange it with a 35 dollars restocking fee. I compared it to with the LG G2, and the specs completely outperform the MAXX in every aspect. Even its battery is at the same league as the MAXX"s.

Does anybody else feel this way?

PS: Yes, I did lie when I said I have trouble making decision. I already did make the decision, it's just that now I'm feeling like I made a bad one.

Jaocagomez

Sep 4, 2010
Mexico Culiacan
i'll take the Lg G2

because, it has a relative good battery (3000mah) against the 3500 mah of Droid Maxx and 2300 mah of HTC one m7

Better processor than Droid Maxx and same as M7

Better camera than M7 and Droid Maxx

Bigger Screen than Droid Maxx and M7

Good design compared to Droid maxx and M7

Overall its better than the other two.

Reactions: Amer28

ChrisMAXX

Feb 28, 2014
Albuquerque
I made my choice for four main reasons - battery life ,vanilla android, build quality , and timely updates. The lg g2 is one of the most fragile heavily skinned phones in existence. If you look at it wrong (figuratively speaking) it can break. My girl has one , and she's been through four of them already. The HTC is not the way to go ... Any HTC I've had has never seen a timely update ever.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA mobile app

Jhall8

Sep 4, 2012
I'll second ChrisMaxx. I had an LG G2 for 3 months. It does have great specs. But I had to request a new unit due to MMS issues. Also, I missed (almost) stock Android. So I switched to the Droid Maxx, and couldn't be happier. I've found battery life to be much better on the Maxx than on the LG G2. Last, LG isn't good with timely software updates.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app

Amer28

Mar 16, 2013
LG V30
Thank you all for your opinions. They were greatly appreciated. Now, one more thing..

Should I attempt to root this device?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Amer28

Mar 16, 2013
LG V30
It can be done, even though I stupidly upgraded to 4,4?

And if so, can you point me in the right direction please?

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The Maxx isn't about the specs... They're good enough. The Maxx is about the cool Motorola exclusive features like Touchless Controls, Trusted Bluetooth Devices, Active Notifications.

Last night I told my phone to set an alarm. I was across the room 8 feet away, the phone was screen off and I never had to touch it. There's no other phone you can do that with right now.

I have both the Maxx and G2. I'd get the G2 over the Maxx but with the G3 out, that should also be considered. You can't go wrong with either the Maxx or G2.The Maxx is for work and the G2 is personal. I only use the Maxx for work email when I'm home and tethering when I travel and get 3 days per charge when I'm not traveling. I day per charge when I do travel. My G2 gets 2 days per charge with light to moderate use and more widgets. I like the skin on the G2 and extra features it has. My previous personal phone was a SGS3 and my previous work phone was a SGS4. I've not regretted replacing either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

kude87

Jan 2, 2013
Denver, CO
Had the g2, and the Maxx is better in every way aside from the camera. Obviously my opinion, but the vanilla experience with gravity box is just awesome. I get signal in places no other phone I've ever had would. Plus, my g2 had weird quirks and inconsistencies. This Maxx is just really usable, and I know for sure I won't spend hours tweaking trying to get to near stock android because I'm already there.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Reactions: Jhall8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Maxx isn't about the specs... They're good enough. The Maxx is about the cool Motorola exclusive features like Touchless Controls, Trusted Bluetooth Devices, Active Notifications.

Last night I told my phone to set an alarm. I was across the room 8 feet away, the phone was screen off and I never had to touch it. There's no other phone you can do that with right now.
    i'll take the Lg G2

because, it has a relative good battery (3000mah) against the 3500 mah of Droid Maxx and 2300 mah of HTC one m7

Better processor than Droid Maxx and same as M7

Better camera than M7 and Droid Maxx

Bigger Screen than Droid Maxx and M7

Good design compared to Droid maxx and M7

Overall its better than the other two.
    Could someone please point me to the right direction to root my device?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2771623

Had the g2, and the Maxx is better in every way aside from the camera. Obviously my opinion, but the vanilla experience with gravity box is just awesome. I get signal in places no other phone I've ever had would. Plus, my g2 had weird quirks and inconsistencies. This Maxx is just really usable, and I know for sure I won't spend hours tweaking trying to get to near stock android because I'm already there.

Sent from my Droid Maxx