[how to] capture pictures from ALL 3 cameras (in RGB, yes)

Do you think HTC has cheated by calling the 3rd camera a "depth sensor"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

RealMcAlec

Apr 17, 2014
Hannover
If you want to experiment with your HTC One (M8) and want to know about the "secret" second rear camera, then this thread is for you. Works with M8 ONLY!

HTC told the press and the htcdev-members (after releasing the SDK) recently that the second lens of the "duo camera" would be something like a depth sensor. It turns out that this is definitely not the case. It is just a simple RGB-cam with 1080p resolution.

I read about the functionality and concept behind the camera on the following page (German only):
Concept of HTC One M8's Duo-Camera (title modified/translated)

On the page there is a sample App called DuoCamTest. It needs a rooted M8, APK and source can be downloaded.
The guys there used an internal debug-interface located at /system/bin/camera_test to take two pictures at the same time. One with full resolution (4 MP) and one with 2 MP (Full HD) using the second rear camera. On a rooted device you can play around with it. :D

I discovered a way to identify all the three camera-modules. Don't know, if somebody did this before, sorry:
Code:
  cat /sys/android_camera/sensor
  cat /sys/android_camera2/sensor
  cat /sys/android_camera3/sensor

OK, that was easy. :) Have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asheel

mushages

Sep 2, 2009
Muscat
its said to be Duo camera means two cameras but HTC decided to name the smaller one as "depth sensor".

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
If you want to experiment with your HTC One (M8) and want to know about the "secret" second rear camera, then this thread is for you. Works with M8 ONLY!

HTC told the press and the htcdev-members (after releasing the SDK) recently that the second lens of the "duo camera" would be something like a depth sensor. It turns out that this is definitely not the case. It is just a simple RGB-cam with 1080p resolution.

Would it be possible for us to take 1080p pictures with improved color/quality?

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
This app says that it proves the second sensor is a regular cam instead of a magical depth sensor.
Nobody made the claim it wasn't, HTC said the second camera is used for depth information. Key word is used here.

Just my two cents

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
This app says that it proves the second sensor is a regular cam instead of a magical depth sensor.
Nobody made the claim it wasn't, HTC said the second camera is used for depth information. Key word is used here.

Just my two cents

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well someone had to make the claim, else where did the claim come from?

Just my two cents
:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's the APK to make it easier for everyone.

I read about the functionality and concept behind the camera on the following page (German only):
    Concept of HTC One M8's Duo-Camera (title modified/translated)

On the page there is a sample App called DuoCamTest. It needs a rooted M8, APK and source can be downloaded.
    The guys there used an internal debug-interface located at /system/bin/camera_test to take two pictures at the same time. One with full resolution (4 MP) and one with 2 MP (Full HD) using the second rear camera. On a rooted device you can play around with it. :D

I discovered a way to identify all the three camera-modules. Don't know, if somebody did this before, sorry:
    Code:
      cat /sys/android_camera/sensor
      cat /sys/android_camera2/sensor
      cat /sys/android_camera3/sensor

OK, that was easy. :) Have fun.