Nook HD+ HDMI adapter

Search This thread
Update: Last night I used a 10.2 nightly and rooted to emmc and the picture is correct. Just as if I was using my computer with hdmi out. It reports 1920 x 1080 @60Htz.. Before I was using an sd card version rom.
Now just trying to get it to pass mutichannel sound if that is possible.

Reactions: Guiyoforward

gmicalzoma

Jan 15, 2013
Nook HD+ HDMI via MHL on CM 10.2

After reading all posts on this thread and others, I decided to check once and for all if there is a way to have HDMI out on the Nook HD+ without using the B&N HDMI adapter.

Thanks to verygreen's hack on CM 10.2, I was able to connect an USB A Female to A Female adapter on the Nook HD+ cable and connect a 32Gb USB stick and play several movies and videos in .flv, .avi, .mp4, .wmv and .mkv up to 720p encoding (did not have a 1080p file to test) with MX Player without a hiccup :good:

I sent for a A Female to Micro USB Female adapter (5 pin) and will check if any of those MHL Micro USB to HDMI works with the Nook HD+. If it doesn't then I will try to check if the one I have for my Samsung Note 2 (11 pin micro USB) works.

I will love to find out if MHL is supported by the hardware (I think it is since the B&N adapter works) and if it is then it is a matter of finding out what pins it uses. Well I will report on what happens once I received the adapters.

Celary Man

Mar 25, 2011
Does anyone know if you can make the nook display only on the TV? I'm getting slowdown and I think it's from making the tablet run two screens.

gmicalzoma

Jan 15, 2013
Follow up 1080p Movie playback on CM 10.2 SD Card

After reading all posts on this thread and others, I decided to check once and for all if there is a way to have HDMI out on the Nook HD+ without using the B&N HDMI adapter.

Thanks to verygreen's hack on CM 10.2, I was able to connect an USB A Female to A Female adapter on the Nook HD+ cable and connect a 32Gb USB stick and play several movies and videos in .flv, .avi, .mp4, .wmv and .mkv up to 720p encoding (did not have a 1080p file to test) with MX Player without a hiccup :good:

I sent for a A Female to Micro USB Female adapter (5 pin) and will check if any of those MHL Micro USB to HDMI works with the Nook HD+. If it doesn't then I will try to check if the one I have for my Samsung Note 2 (11 pin micro USB) works.

I will love to find out if MHL is supported by the hardware (I think it is since the B&N adapter works) and if it is then it is a matter of finding out what pins it uses. Well I will report on what happens once I received the adapters.

I tested playback with several 1080p movies in .mkv and .mp4 and they played super fine. :good: I wanted also to alert that for some reason when playing movies with MX Player after booting from the SD Card with CM 10.2 I need to select SW (software) decoding. If I select HW (hardware) decoding (like I always do with the stock rom) the playback of 720p starts to lose frames and looks choppy and 1080p won't play.

I guess that when I select SW decoding on MX Player booting from the SD Card it goes and play it using hardware acceleration in someway. Anyway playback of movies (SD, 720p or 1080p) from EMMC, USB, or SD Card in my Nook HD+ is great and smooth using MX Player while booting from Stock Rom or a CM 10.2 SD Card :laugh:

PJLLB

Feb 8, 2012
On Stock Nook HD+ runs great only does not pass mutichannel audio. Fills screen runs at full 1920 x 1080 @60Htz.
On 10.2 the signal to tv or receiver is 640 x 480 @73Htz. The display is zoomed and only shows top left 1/4 of the screen. The audio will not pass through Hdmi only plays on Nook HD+ speaker..
So on CM 10.2 the refresh rate needs to be changed and it needs to stop zooming in.
The capability is there to have a great looking HD display.

I'm seeing this refresh rate and resolution too, although one of my TVs doesn't like the 73 Hz refresh. It there a way to set the resolution and refresh rate? I'm on the CM 10.1-20130804 build.

I get 1080 at 60 Hz on the Android 4.3 build (this it what I want), but I'm not ready to move to that yet. And the resolution and refresh are good on stock.

ArcSmurf

Jan 3, 2012
Bristol

Gmicalzoma, have you been able to confirm if the usb mhl adapters work as yet?
Keen to see if can get hdmi output without need to order adapter from the states!

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using xda app-developers app

gmicalzoma

Jan 15, 2013
I'm sad to report that there is no MHL (video out) from the Nook HD+ using a female USB adapter and USB to MHL HDMI adapter. This usually works great with most tablets and phones. I even used a 5 pin to 11 pin adapter (USB pinnage setup that newer Galaxy products use Galaxy 3, 4 Note 2, 3, 8, etc.) but no luck.

The capability is there since B&N have an HDMI adapter, so I guess it needs a hack on the ROM like the one verygreen did to enable USB OTG (USB host) on CM.

There is a coupon for 20% off on accesories that ttablet posted and it works since I personally checked online against the purchase of the HDMI Adapter. The coupon is good until Octorber 14, 2013:

20% Discount on Nook Accessories
B&N is having a "Friends & Family" promotion, good for 20% on a single item, through October 14th. Nooks themselves (and Nook content) are excluded, but it appears that Nook accessories that are not already discounted are part of the promo.

The email I got from B&N also says "share this coupon with everyone you know". Promo code is
FRIENDNFAM, enter it at checkout at BN.com; it appears that you can also print a coupon that could be used in a store.

Last edited:

alan310

Oct 18, 2010
Which Rom has the best performance using HDMI?

I am using the Tweaked Xperia Rom. however HDMI does not work [or my adapter doesn't]. I am happy with the rom except for this feature. Which rom offers the best performance and can output a satisfactory video using the HDMI adapter?

And thanks for any help ahead of time.

Auron2K

Dec 4, 2010
I'm based in the UK, so ended up having to buy one sent from the US off eBay - bit pricy unfortunately.

Lungkisser

Nov 2, 2013
Gaming?

How does it do with HDMI streaming of emulators/games from stock OS? I guess I'm also curious how it does on cynagenmod but less so. Does it handle different game resolutions well/can it do HD or is it locked to a specific resolution?

Anything helps. Thanks.

hallacienda

Nov 4, 2013
I tried using this on my TV streaming Netflix the other night and it seems much worse compared to streaming on my MacBook Air (2013). Is this with the Netflix app or is this with the cable, or with the tablet itself? Has anybody seen this kind of issue? Any tip to resolve this would be appreciated!

MrCamby

Apr 4, 2012
I tried using this on my TV streaming Netflix the other night and it seems much worse compared to streaming on my MacBook Air (2013). Is this with the Netflix app or is this with the cable, or with the tablet itself? Has anybody seen this kind of issue? Any tip to resolve this would be appreciated!

I have the HDMI adapter and found these differences streaming netflix to my 51" Samsung Plasma Display:

When streaming using any version of Cyanogenmod, the video would intermittantly lock up, then display again, etc....

When streaming using Stock 2.1.1 it played perfectly, not hiccups, audio is synced, etc.

I did notice another difference between CM and Stock:

CM streaming netfilx displays on both the TV and the Nook
Stock streaming netflix turns off the Nook display while streaming to the TV

IMO I think that is the reason for CM10 issues. It has to power two displays with the same content, basically doubling the bandwidth the gpu needs to output.

Guiyoforward

Oct 15, 2013
Hi, thanks for the reports. Two quick questions - thanks in advance.
1-Is sound out through hdmi ok with cm or only video?
2-Anyone found how to disable the nook screen so all processing power goes to the TV image on CM?

jeober

Mar 24, 2011
2-Anyone found how to disable the nook screen so all processing power goes to the TV image on CM?

I get sound through HDMI (CM10.2).
My video app has a screen wipe control for brightness. I just fully turn it down (almost dark). This would be for battery life, not processing power.

Because the adapter retention reliability is so poor, I use a couple of long rubber bands to hold it in place. Otherwise, I couldn't breathe on it and still hold a connection.

twe69

Dec 24, 2008
Out of interest, are these HDMI cables now rare to find instore?

I am heading to New York, from the UK, next week and thought of hunting one down whilst doing my normal shopping, thanks!

Ashenfall

Oct 28, 2010
One thing I found is that it 'scales down' the display of my Nook HD+ to the TV screen, so things aren't quite as crisp and the left and right borders are black - is there any way to change the resolution so it's the same as the TV? I did try Resolution Changer, but that didn't work.

It displays it fine with multimedia content, but the scaling and cutoff is slightly bothersome when not playing video.

ritchea

Out of interest, are these HDMI cables now rare to find instore?

I am heading to New York, from the UK, next week and thought of hunting one down whilst doing my normal shopping, thanks!

From my limited experience, I will say "maybe." You may want to check out availability online. I know Target sometimes carries them. Of course, check out Barnes and Noble. Some Walmart stores also have them. If you know the postal zip code for where you'll be visiting, you can check out availability before arriving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

twe69

Dec 24, 2008
From my limited experience, I will say "maybe." You may want to check out availability online. I know Target sometimes carries them. Of course, check out Barnes and Noble. Some Walmart stores also have them. If you know the postal zip code for where you'll be visiting, you can check out availability before arriving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks, good timing too as leaving in the morning. Will try and search later on tonight or over there as I will have Internet access.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last night my wife used the nook HD+ with CM10.1, with the HDMI to TV for streaming Netflix, which we tether to our 4g phone for internet service. said it worked great!

A few issues that we have had with the Nook HDMI dongle that we have noticed is that the connection point to the nook tablet is touchy. It doesn't take much movement for it to disconnect signal to the tv. Also we noticed that you HAVE to use the HDMI cable that comes with it. We tried using the hdmi that was already connected, that's normally used to the computer, and it didn't work at all.
    Update: Last night I used a 10.2 nightly and rooted to emmc and the picture is correct. Just as if I was using my computer with hdmi out. It reports 1920 x 1080 @60Htz.. Before I was using an sd card version rom.
    Now just trying to get it to pass mutichannel sound if that is possible.
    They are proprietary so you have to buy the one particular one. Try eBay maybe someone is selling theirs otherwise keep an eye out around fathers day they tend to go on sale then. No guarantees.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

I haven't tested this much...
    First check this out:
    http://omappedia.org/wiki/Bootargs_for_enabling_display

Create a new file in /system/xbin, make it executable.
    give it these lines:
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/display0/enabled

Then when you run that file, it will turn the screen off. It takes several key presses of the power button to get the screen to come back on...

There may be a better more elegant solution, perhaps to cut power off to the screen entirely. Or map it to a gesture or something. I'll leave that for someone else to figure out.

The only reason I did this is that when playing 2k videos, hdmi would stutter. I figured it was because it was playing 2K on the LCD but having to down convert the video for HDMI. Perhaps this will help?