[APP][2.1+] Sidebar - Brilliant multitasking and task management on Android

Search This thread

Mohammad_Adib

Sep 8, 2011
Bellevue, WA
I've been testing this app and it works great with the exception of one thing (on an N7 with a custom ROM):

If I'm, as an example, in the Play Store reading the reviews for Sidebar, leave to look at my Gmail, then use Sidebar to bring back the Play Store, the app opens up at the main page rather then where I left off. This happens for all apps. I would expect it to operate like the "recents" list and bring me back to where I was.

Is this a bug or something wonky on my end?

Thanks. ;)

There is no way to resume running apps from what I've tried. Its only launch them as new tasks.

Reactions: ShaneAR

ShaneAR

Jul 21, 2012
Re: [APP][2.1+] Sidebar - A brilliant new way of multitasking on Android.

That's all I needed to know. Thanks. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

cb56

Jan 6, 2011
There is no way to resume running apps from what I've tried. Its only launch them as new tasks.

May depend on the device and the amount of memory. On Galaxy Note II apps are resumed when started from Sidebar.

On the other hand, if it were not so it would not be multitasking...and you should change the title of 3d. :angel:

cb56

Last edited:

Mohammad_Adib

Sep 8, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Custom Icons!

Officially implemented. Will be on the next update. Long press and hit icon option.

2j0xV
2j0Db

^ here we see chrome, camera, dropbox, play store, and calculator each with different icons!

Benefits:
- High res icons
- Customizable
- Super simple to do (just long press and hit icon)

Mobile Data + Shortcut widgets!

2j26M

Notification now allows for direct App Info access on 4.1+

9KnpEIv.png

Sidebar works on Android 2.1+

72kgcbY.png

Last edited:

vNa5h

Dec 2, 2011
Great Work!!!
for data enable widget....

can you add a widget with time /battery and (ram free) would be greatly helpful for full screen apps...
i have to use lmt laucher just to see the time or batter left while playing games

pl do reply even if negative

Reactions: Mohammad_Adib

Mohammad_Adib

Sep 8, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Version 3.5.X.X update
(for pro, lite will get there eventually, or never)

V6DPSy4.png

Update 3.5.X.X
- Added shortcuts
- Added custom icons
- Added Mobile Data widget
- Major speed optimizations & minor bug fixes
- Notification settings improved (for 4.1+)

Let's call that a day. :highfive:

Last edited:

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
AW: [APP][2.1+] Sidebar - A brilliant new way of multitasking on Android.

man. did the new update fixed the autoclose issue? your app is completely useless till today for me, cause it closes itself constantly so i cannot access the bar. im not the only one with this issue as i already read and ive tried different roms.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

nope. issue is stell there! what is your statement on this?

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs

Version 3.5.X.X update
(for pro, lite will get there eventually, or never)

V6DPSy4.png

Update 3.5.X.X
- Added shortcuts
- Added custom icons
- Added Mobile Data widget
- Major speed optimizations & minor bug fixes
- Notification settings improved (for 4.1+)

Let's call that a day. :highfive:

The app seems much faster to me. No lag in scrolling through app list. Nice update!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

man. did the new update fixed the autoclose issue? your app is completely useless till today for me, cause it closes itself constantly so i cannot access the bar. im not the only one with this issue as i already read and ive tried different roms.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

nope. issue is stell there! what is your statement on this?

What auto close issue are you having. Could you provide Mohammad with a log cat so he can see what's happening, as it might be specific to the Nexus 4, but I think that's what he has.

jmaciak

Aug 27, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 9

I've purchased the pro version in the early times and liked the app back then. But the way this app is evolving makes me supersure that this is one of the best deal I've made on play store. Dude really, keep on the brilliant work!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro

The app seems much faster to me. No lag in scrolling through app list. Nice update!

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

What auto close issue are you having. Could you provide Mohammad with a log cat so he can see what's happening, as it might be specific to the Nexus 4, but I think that's what he has.

after some time the bar isnt accessible any more via touching in the defined area. even if i directly open the sidebar settings. this happens every 5 to 10 minutes. then i have to open the sb settings. deactivate the sidebar. lock my phone. activate it again and so i can access once when sb settings are open. if i then close it (with sidebar ON) it only takes some time until i cannot access again.

how to create a log?

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs

after some time the bar isnt accessible any more via touching in the defined area. even if i directly open the sidebar settings. this happens every 5 to 10 minutes. then i have to open the sb settings. deactivate the sidebar. lock my phone. activate it again and so i can access once when sb settings are open. if i then close it (with sidebar ON) it only takes some time until i cannot access again.

how to create a log?

Hmm. I wonder if you have some sort of memory management app, or very aggressive setting.

Search the app store for logcat extreme.

mjoha

Apr 24, 2011
Sv: [APP][2.1+] Sidebar - A brilliant new way of multitasking on Android.

When i should change icon the app crash. Why are the sidebar so slow to came out? Unity and Swap is much faster than sidebar why?

Skickat från min LG-P880 via Tapatalk 2

grrog

Feb 25, 2013
Excellent update!

Change icons is the update that give to this app an infinity of future. Now this sidebar is a complete tool for everyday use.
Thanx for your great work and to listen suggestions of people !
__
Grrog

My sidebar now for the fun :

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-17-13-08-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-17-13-08-02.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

nimrodity

Sep 9, 2008
www.thedroideffect.com

Why did the start behavior change again, last version opened settings once and then just the bar when you hit the app icon, now the settings appears every time again, I set up one hardware button just for the sidebar to access it what isn't accessible this way now.
Everytime you now change something also jumps into app-info which is slightly annoying

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

nrp31

Sep 15, 2012

I am using this app since past few days and loving it on my Nexus 7.I made a video review of it if you guys want to check out
http://goo.gl/5uOkz

I liked the Updated version...Thanks!

stevennekens

Apr 12, 2008
I really love the update and the ability to use custom icons. Works flawlessly.

The only thing I don't like is that the part where you start sliding is 'covering' the screen when the sensitivity is set too high. I have it set at the upper right of the screen, and when I want to press the menu button in the upper right corner, it isn't registered. I guess you can't do anything about that, can you?

chrisyng

Jul 22, 2012

I can not seem to remove a shortcut that I just placed on the bar.. I can swipe away widgets and apps no problem, but a shortcut widget refuses to be removed...

Nov 21, 2012

Newest update made my morning!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

dueltothedeath

Feb 23, 2011

Great update.. Love custom icons. :). Any chance of adding compatibility with launcher icon themes so you don't have to change every icon one at a time.. No complaints here, just a thought

Reactions: 123SIT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

"Minimalistic, non-intrusive, and very functional" - XDA

Awards & Mentions

Sidebar was showcased on the front page of XDA as well as on XDA TV

Geekwire wrote an amazing article about Sidebar and my other successes

StudentRND Blogs wrote an amazing article about Sidebar and my other successes

Sidebar was also the best among Android Authority's Top 7 Apps of the week

Sidebar was reviewed by AddictiveTips

Sidebar won Best Application at CodeDay Seattle hosted by StudentRND.

29Vd7

Sidebar wins the XDA showdown!

Downloads
    Sidebar Lite | Sidebar Pro
    Update is live! Released early for Pro to iron out bugs, Lite will come a few days later.

2Bo3rKR.png

Mega Update Version 4.2.0.0
    - Windows taskbar style running indicators; Brighter for foreground app.
    - Enabled caching of App Drawer, and App Selector.
    - Fancy Animations now available in Settings.
    - Widgets are now called Toggles; Running Apps widget deprecated due to redundancy.
    - Live Running Apps no longer persistent after swiping away.
    - Added handles to the Swipe Edge for more intuitive height adjustment.
    Or is it that sidebar plus blew your app out of the water adding all the features I told you were possible months ago but you insisted the android code didn't exist for it..

So now basically this app is abandoned..

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sidebar Plus is looking good feature-wise. I was always happy with Ribbons in AOKP. This was close but without the ability to add shortcuts for some strange reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Yeah if he could have added the shortcuts it would have made it near perfect IMO. The features of Sidebar Plus are just a bonus, but now I guess that's where I'm headed.

Am gonna be honest. I appreciate and respect all devs who go out of there way to help you out and reply if you got an issue. But some who do not even listen to there userbase for me they lose all respect. Anyways this looks like a dead project now so might as well close this thread. Just a shame I feel I wasted two pounds.

Allright, Let's Get Some Things Straight

I told you were possible months ago but you insisted the android code didn't exist for it..

Not true. While there are some things that aren't possible, I never said it was impossible. Take adding shortcuts for example - I have no idea how, because 1. I haven't ever used shortcuts myself so I blame myself for not finding the need for them; 2. I've searched all over (months ago) and didn't find any decent implementation. And I'm fine admitting that I don't know how, but I'm willing to learn! So please give pointers next time, instead of whining.

Sidebar Plus is looking good feature-wise

I love it too, and it's a great app with lots of features! However, I'd like to keep Sidebar simple, elegant, and to the point.

But some who do not even listen to there userbase for me they lose all respect.

That to me comes accross as something really serious because I am strongly devoted to making great products and listening to everyone on what they have to say. But you have to understand - I'm 17, and as I mentioned before there's a lot of things I need to focus on and prioritizing is the key to success. App development is in fact a large chunk of that. I'm developing more apps like Sidebar, and those are coming out soon, sure enough to be just as successful as this one and better in terms of features because I've learned a lot along the way.

So now basically this app is abandoned..

I never said that. Don't you worry about a thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal. Something important to note is that while features are great, the "more the merrier" is not always the case. XDA's for people who have come to expect as many features out of an app as possible. That said, more features amount to the risk for more bugs, and as a developer when your app becomes too complicated or even a little bit difficult to manage, it falls apart. Sidebar has a simple purpose: Pin apps to the sliding sidebar and access them from anywhere. It's now also got task managing. That's it. No widgets, (and no shortcuts because I can't figure out how lol).

Often times, you'll see 5 star apps that have little to no features at all. Why is this? Take my app Roundr for example. It does one thing and does it well. Another 200,000+ downloads with a rating pinned to 5 stars due to the fact that there are less places where I can go wrong as a developer. If the user has less chances of running into a part of the app that fails to function the way it's supposed to, then that app will have a higher rating, and thus generate more revenue. My apps will always be simple, clean, and include just the right amount of features. Another example of this would be AOSP. Look at Samsung's Touchwiz ROM...filled with "features" like smart scroll and what not. No one wants that, so they flash AOSP! Clean and simple is the way to go.

My Promise to the 250,000+ Sidebar Users

Sidebar will improve and become the app you all dream of. As I got more experienced with coding Android apps, I came across things I could have implemented into Sidebar 6 months ago, and I realize that at some point I need to do that. Sidebar is the app that makes the largest share of my monthly income, so why shouldn't I.

As for now, expect Switchr to release shortly and also, keep in mind: XDA is an insightful & friendly place for encouraging developers, not demotivating them. Please keep it that way.
    Development Sneak Peak
    Running apps shown at the bottom of the list (below the line) ? Just like ubuntu or windows taskbar. Will have running indicators too (soon). The bar that separates the two entities (pinned apps and running apps) changes color (white or black) based on Sidebar's average background RGB color.

78mermf.png
    mMaPHr4.png
    ZDcQw1G.png

This will be an option that will be by default OFF

Who would like to see this happen?
    You guys asked, I delivered. App Drawer widget. Will be included in the version 3.0.0.0 update coming SOON.

2aIRK