REVIEW: LG G Pad 8.3 Generic TPU "X-Style" Case

Search This thread

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
Hi everyone, I've FINALLY received this case from AliExpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs...Soft-back-case-for-LG-G-Pad-8/1532446130.html

As promised, here's a YouTube Video Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0AN_YhXpw

TL;DR verdict: It's cheap, it's black, and overall it works well. Fit is solid, all ports work out (except the SD card slot, which is covered - but that's hardly a dealbreaker), and it doesn't add any significant weight. Does not interfere with the speakers.

Would buy, but not from AliExpress. No fault to the vendor (who was pleasantly responsive to my inquiries), but on eBay you can now pick it up for $6 CDN shipped.

Thanks for reading and watching!

Mark

Last edited:

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs...Soft-back-case-for-LG-G-Pad-8/1532446130.html

TL;DR verdict: It's cheap, it's black, and overall it works well. Fit is solid, all ports work out (except the SD card slot, which is covered - but that's hardly a dealbreaker), and it doesn't add any significant weight. Does not interfere with the speakers.

Would buy, but not from AliExpress. No fault to the vendor (who was pleasantly responsive to my inquiries), but on eBay you can now pick it up for $6 CDN shipped.

Mark

Fellow Canuck here who bought the tablet in the USA at bestbuy. Where did you get yours?
Have you tried to use the remote? Seems only US cable providers are listed. Same for you?

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
Fellow Canuck here who bought the tablet in the USA at bestbuy. Where did you get yours?
Have you tried to use the remote? Seems only US cable providers are listed. Same for you?

Mine was also sourced from the States as Newegg in Canada didn't have it at the time, Best Buy here STILL doesn't, and $259 USD on sale was worth the trouble of getting it brought up here by a family member. :)

The Quick Remote app DOES work on my Telus cable setup. I used the AT&T option and it works just fine. I don't know if Rogers, etc. would work, but one of the options just might be an equivalent. Good luck!

Mark

Last edited:

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Mine was also sourced from the States as Newegg in Canada didn't have it at the time, Best Buy here STILL doesn't, and $259 USD on sale was worth the trouble of getting it brought up here by a family member. :)

The Quick Remote app DOES work on my Telus cable setup. I used the AT&T option and it works just fine. I don't know if Rogers, etc. would work, but one of the options just might be an equivalent. Good luck!

Mark

Am on videotron they use a cisco or samsung cable box.

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
Am on videotron they use a cisco or samsung cable box.

Ah, so you're out East.. I don't think Vidéotron equipment is any different than those used in the States, nor would it be unique to Quebec or wherever you are. I suggest just going through the available selections and see if one works for you. That's what I did. :)

Mark

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
Will do. You ate on cable or satellite? What is the make If the cable box

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Telus digital cable. I'll check the make of the box, but honestly the best thing is to cycle through the available options in the Q Remote. I found AT&T compatibility within two minutes, though to be fair I went alphabetically. :p

Mark

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Did that and found 2cable companies that worked. Weird that thistablet still has not been released in canada where lg traditionally sells well.I imagine there will need to be a Canadian version of the lg software to include Canadian cable companies. Right now there are 3versions of the firmware. A,C,E. Am guessing it's American Europe and China.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

By the way how it's your battery life.that and the little blue line are my only issues and they are not enough for me to consider returning this tablet. Had a nexus 7 2013 model beforewhich had brighter screen but I lost it forgetting it on the airplane. Having a note 3I felt the nexus 7was too similar in size. This is the perfect size for a tablet. Wish there were more accessories. Bought the ivso case and will use that when I need to but prefer it caselessSri if they ever had a case cover like the iPad mini would love that

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
By the way how it's your battery life.that and the little blue line are my only issues and they are not enough for me to consider returning this tablet. Had a nexus 7 2013 model beforewhich had brighter screen but I lost it forgetting it on the airplane. Having a note 3I felt the nexus 7was too similar in size. This is the perfect size for a tablet. Wish there were more accessories. Bought the ivso case and will use that when I need to but prefer it caselessSri if they ever had a case cover like the iPad mini would love that

Drifting from topic, but my battery life is about the same as most reviews. I haven't put it through any rigorous testing, but when watching movies or YouTube on the unit it holds up any two hours in a row that I'd need it, I have it plugged in while at my desk at work, and standby time is awesome. I noticed the blue line, but I had to look really, REALLY hard for it so in practice it's not an issue for me. No appreciable light bleed either. I use it indoors so brightness isn't a huge issue, but for the list price it should have been brighter.

This is a keeper for me - I'm keeping this case as well and may get the IVSO in Red when it becomes available on Amazon.ca in a couple months. I miss a cover for the actual screen on this thing, but as long as I'm not outside or traveling (I *do* travel for work, so we'll see in the long run) this will do just fine.

Mark

toyface

Aug 7, 2010
Derbyshire
Hey guys,

Nice review Mark! I was looking to get a silicon case quickly and this was the cheapest to do that so I got one from eBay, shipping from Germany to the UK and it's already been dispatched so should be here next week sort of time. I got it in red and will have some photos up when it arrives.

The VOIA case looks nice but, I will see how this one turns out before I get that guy, I have done the whole folding cover thing with the N7 and they never got used so I will stick with silicon this time around

Tom.

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
No worries Toyface! I've had the TPU case for a week now and have already taken it on a business trip with me. I find it unobtrusive and very comfortable to hold in one hand, with the grippy texture on the back. The volume and power buttons are not tougher to use at all. I've even gotten used to the fingerprints on the shiny parts. The ONLY downside is that on some of the USB plugs I've used since the video, some of them do deform the rubber on the lip a little. I doubt this will be a long term issue though, it springs right back when I unplug it.

On real-life bumps: when the tablet slid off of a chair during an airplane landing (my bad, it was sitting on my coat and fell off as the plane was braking), it landed face down and had no damage. Incidentally, my headphone jack was plugged in and while the jack was bent, the tablet was undamaged and kept working with the earphones. Point LG!

Finally, when I carry this thing around outside, I use a slipcase for an old Acer netbook. Not the most ideal shape, and I may get a more form-fitting one eventually, but it works. It's to the point where I may not get the IVSO / generic flip case after all, as this is working just fine for me. :)

Please post some pics of your red version when you get it!

Mark

Last edited:

toyface

Aug 7, 2010
Derbyshire
So, my case arrived a couple of days ago. Post from Germany to England was very good and the eBay seller (phonenatic) was pretty great really.

So far,I think the case is pretty good, but I hate the color. It's supposed to be red, but in reality it's more pinkish than anything else. Cutouts are all good (as you see in the photos) and it has thick lip around the screen so landing flat shouldn't be too bad there. This one came with two screen protectors, I fitted one then removed it a day later, I just hate screen protectors. it was very easy to get on there though.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSCF6400.JPG
    DSCF6400.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF6395.JPG
    DSCF6395.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF6396.JPG
    DSCF6396.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF6398.JPG
    DSCF6398.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: MISSDIVA

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
Thanks for posting those pics! You're right, with the white version of the G Pad in there the red is muted somewhat to look more pinkish... I'm wondering if it'd look darked with a black version in there.

Mark

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mark
    So, my case arrived a couple of days ago. Post from Germany to England was very good and the eBay seller (phonenatic) was pretty great really.

So far,I think the case is pretty good, but I hate the color. It's supposed to be red, but in reality it's more pinkish than anything else. Cutouts are all good (as you see in the photos) and it has thick lip around the screen so landing flat shouldn't be too bad there. This one came with two screen protectors, I fitted one then removed it a day later, I just hate screen protectors. it was very easy to get on there though.

Tom.