[Suggestions & Discussions] Why mobile security matters

Search This thread

D™

May 23, 2012
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ Watching You @!@
Hey XDAian...:laugh:

Here I am back again for few suggestions & discussion. :)

Based on some pretty interesting facts about "mobile in general", The smartphone segment has brought accessibility to millions around the world, at work and at home. Naturally, all the data in those devices, wirelessly accessible, becomes a gold mine for those with nefarious motives to exploit.

On the work front, smartphones are a huge contributor to productivity. At home, they provide meaningful and useful (and sometimes redundant) ways to stay in touch with friends and family. The more of these devices we buy, the bigger the opportunity is for criminals, because there are so many ways to get the data. We might lose a device, or its is stolen, we might download a bad application, or soon brush against an NFC tag or visit a bad web-page. The possibilities are so diverse compared to a PC or server farm hardwired to the internet.

With the tremendous growth of the smartphone market not expected to slow down anytime soon, people and organizations must be vigilant in guarding against breaches of their data and/or personal information. Even as organized hackers work on ways to score the high-value breach, they are working on high-volume, low-risk attacks against weaker targets as well.:mad:

In addition to some tips about securing mobile devices, the infographic has some interesting facts from 2011 in there as well, such as 855 breaches resulted in the theft of 174 million records.

We Need some Security Applications for preventing our valuable data (like Msgs, Contacts, Pin codes etc). Therefore, from my side this thread belong to all XDAians.

Please suggest the latest, finest Applications & few tremendous suggestion from all Devs, RC, RD & Members.;)

I like a Security based Application called LBE Privacy Guard to Prevent sending data through various applications installed at our Mobile.:good:

MobileSecurityInfographic.jpg

Some Great Ideas Received from Our XDA Members. Which are here follows:
As this OP thread may become too long so, for Batter view just press "Show Contents" for there suggestions.

This One is provided by Our Great Sr.MOD Justin:

Personally, I place little emphasis on mobile security. Things like antivirus, password protectors etc. make sense if you store a lot of mission-critical, sensitive data on your phone, or frequent a lot of open hotspots, leave your Bluetooth on and 'visible' in public places, but otherwise just chew battery, CPU cycles and money.

I can appreciate the need for such things, in some instances (proper business users, etc.). I have little faith in an app to look after my security however, and would instead recommend a few lifestyle changes where possible, to improve your security:

1. Never use open, public WiFi. If you must, never use it for sites you log into, sites that control your money, or sites that contain other sensitive information. Doesn't take much for that guy outside McDonalds on his laptop to be sniffing packets.

2. Turn on Bluetooth and NFC only when you intend to use them. Not only do you save precious battery, you ensure that your close-range transmission technologies are only on when you need them, and not at other times. Also, set a unique Bluetooth passcode for your device, rather than the generic '0000'.

3. Never let your browser remember any passwords.

4. When setting passwords and PINs, never use a bank PIN, and always use 'leetspeak' for your passwords. For example, I would like my password for XDA to be 'firewood'. Rather than just typing it, try substituting letters for numbers, like this: F1r3W00d. Mix up your capital and lower-case letters, even substitute characters for letters or numbers. Do anything you can to ensure your passwords don't resemble anything from a dictionary!

I have no idea whether these steps have helped, but I haven't been the victim of online identity theft yet - even my passwords have never been compromised.

I think it's something we should always keep in mind, but never worry too much about. The risk is always there but it's a big, wide world.;)

This One is provided by Our Great buddy Adam77root:

Mobile security is getting more and more important nowadays. But the worst is that people don't know about and are not aware of the security issues that all pose a high threat to gadget users. There are plenty of ways for which stolen data can be used for and most of the people don't even think of themselves being impersonated by hackers.

Because of the design of the Android system it's very easy to write fully-featured malwares for this platform as the permissions are not handled on a low native (even kernel) level, but there are the Android permissions most of you are already aware of. A lot of users don't read through the permissions that the application they install asks for, making it easy to fool them.

Hackers usually give such application and package names that they are very similar to those of the inner Android system, so the users don't delete those apps after a little Google search.

Coding in Java is extremely easy, you don't even have to free memory, as the garbage collector does that for you. This opens this platform for the so-called script-kiddies who are wannabe 'hackers' and want to create the 'best malware ever'. They're dangerous as there are a lot of them. There are also a lot of prebuilt libraries for Java, which can be used for making for example network communication easy.

If such an application is installed on a system, its easy to root the victim's device, opening a new way to compromise the OS. There are methods to root a great deal of devices (of course excluding some) and plant a rootkit on them for a longer stay. For example the app is then moved to the system partition where it cannot be deleted from.

Most of the modern malwares communicate through the internet with their author. If somebody uses a 2G/3G data connection and has no or limited data plan, it may cost high amount of money for the user. For example: Here, in Hungary, lot of teenagers use 0.facebook.com which allows them to browse Facebook without paying for it. Just imagine their parents when they get the bill because of a hacker.

I, personally, do not use any antiviruses on my phone. Even, I use only a free AVG on my Windows PC and nothing on my Linux box. Every system can be hacked and all AV-s can be bypassed. Sometimes I check the autorun apps to see if there isn't any suspicious.

To sum up: I advise you not to download/install any suspicious app on your phones and if you notice some strange network activity, do a deeper inspection on it and wipe your data (very important as most of the malwares are still installed there) or reflash your system if you want to make sure everything.

Here is few more points from our great RC Selva.simple.

Mobile security not only matters about protecting our data from phising and virus attacks but also protecting it when v lost our device. Because a smartphone falling into wrong hands can cause so much of trouble. So just wanna list down following points interms of mobile security

* When u buy a new smartphone, take a mobile-insurance along with it (atleast for an year). We may sometime doesn't know its importance. But it matters a lot. It comes around of 3% of mobile cost. Keep your bills and insurance papers safely.

* For all important personal contents (Contacts, Pics, Videos, Docs, Messages) you store in smartphone, have a secondary backup in your system or hard disk. It comes in handy when ur phone is totally dead or lost. Take this backup atleast once in two months. Lots of software available for this.

* Use personal lock apps like "Keep safe" to lock/hide your personal data.

* Use Mobile security apps like "Lookup" or "Avast". Even if not for its ant-virus feature, but must for its features of "Anti-theft" features. Apps that help in locating the device if in case the mobile is stolen and kept on.Or when your sim card is replaced with a new sim, sending out a sms from the new sim to a pre-configured number.

* Apart from all these, an important feature is to destroy all your personal contents (complete Erase) in your mobile if in case it is stolen. This will prevent our data falling in hands of wrong people.More than device, our data matters a lot.

I'm a personal victim of a stolen mobile phone, my Wave II. Since that was the time, i flashed a leaked Bada 2.0, no data was there in my mobile. So atleast i was happy with that. I had my mobile insurance which got me the 80% of money which led my way to Android world via Galaxy R.

Source of this amazing ad is Phone Arena.

"How to secure your Android phone and protect your data"

Just Go to this thread for the same ->How to secure your Android phone and protect your data

Download LBE privacy Gaurd / master for mobile -> Click here for thread.

Last edited:

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Reactions: D™

vipul12389mehta

Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
U brought to my attention the importance of security...
Till nw i was least bothered n never paid attention...
Bt thanks...

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

D™

May 23, 2012
FOA, good thread (Y)
i know two apps which are good in security...
one is APPLOCK - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.applock&feature=search_result

another AFARIA - my bro uses this on his note, its suggested by his company to maintain their mails and lot other office stuff store on the phone-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Android.Afaria&feature=search_result

Thanks buddy. U r like my bro.. :thumbup:can u pls add few more lines abt these two application. I will add both of it in OP.:D

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda premium

Reactions: chandrus1983

D™

May 23, 2012
security is important man!! how can you let others read your messages or your mails or even look at your gallery ???
security is must!!

This is what i was telling in whole thread buddy. Security is as much as essential like security of ur bank account. If a unknown person is having ur personal data, it means u are in big trouble. So, for security point of view we must have knowledge abt the same.:D

Edit: thats why i asked fron Devs/RC/RD to come ahead and provide us the right path of security.

Last edited:

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012
Mobile security is getting more and more important nowadays. But the worst is that people don't know about and are not aware of the security issues that all pose a high threat to gadget users. There are plenty of ways for which stolen data can be used for and most of the people don't even think of themselves being impersonated by hackers.

Because of the design of the Android system it's very easy to write fully-featured malwares for this platform as the permissions are not handled on a low native (even kernel) level, but there are the Android permissions most of you are already aware of. A lot of users don't read through the permissions that the application they install asks for, making it easy to fool them.

Hackers usually give such application and package names that they are very similar to those of the inner Android system, so the users don't delete those apps after a little Google search.

Coding in Java is extremely easy, you don't even have to free memory, as the garbage collector does that for you. This opens this platform for the so-called script-kiddies who are wannabe 'hackers' and want to create the 'best malware ever'. They're dangerous as there are a lot of them. There are also a lot of prebuilt libraries for Java, which can be used for making for example network communication easy.

If such an application is installed on a system, its easy to root the victim's device, opening a new way to compromise the OS. There are methods to root a great deal of devices (of course excluding some) and plant a rootkit on them for a longer stay. For example the app is then moved to the system partition where it cannot be deleted from.

Most of the modern malwares communicate through the internet with their author. If somebody uses a 2G/3G data connection and has no or limited data plan, it may cost high amount of money for the user. For example: Here, in Hungary, lot of teenagers use 0.facebook.com which allows them to browse Facebook without paying for it. Just imagine their parents when they get the bill because of a hacker.

I, personally, do not use any antiviruses on my phone. Even, I use only a free AVG on my Windows PC and nothing on my Linux box. Every system can be hacked and all AV-s can be bypassed. Sometimes I check the autorun apps to see if there isn't any suspicious.

To sum up: I advise you not to download/install any suspicious app on your phones and if you notice some strange network activity, do a deeper inspection on it and wipe your data (very important as most of the malwares are still installed there) or reflash your system if you want to make sure everything.

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
I never thought this but after reading this i am also thinking .....

Yep buddy you are correct, we need to think about this very seriously ....

D™

May 23, 2012
I never thought this but after reading this i am also thinking .....

Yep buddy you are correct, we need to think about this very seriously ....

Yup MJ buddy, I wasn't so much aware but when I saw that my installed applications is getting access to my device & sharing the data, I jst start searching the help.:eek:

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
Nice thread Vikesh, great idea.

Personally, I place little emphasis on mobile security. Things like antivirus, password protectors etc. make sense if you store a lot of mission-critical, sensitive data on your phone, or frequent a lot of open hotspots, leave your Bluetooth on and 'visible' in public places, but otherwise just chew battery, CPU cycles and money.

I can appreciate the need for such things, in some instances (proper business users, etc.). I have little faith in an app to look after my security however, and would instead recommend a few lifestyle changes where possible, to improve your security:

1. Never use open, public WiFi. If you must, never use it for sites you log into, sites that control your money, or sites that contain other sensitive information. Doesn't take much for that guy outside McDonalds on his laptop to be sniffing packets.

2. Turn on Bluetooth and NFC only when you intend to use them. Not only do you save precious battery, you ensure that your close-range transmission technologies are only on when you need them, and not at other times. Also, set a unique Bluetooth passcode for your device, rather than the generic '0000'.

4. When setting passwords and PINs, never use a bank PIN, and always use 'leetspeak' for your passwords. For example, I would like my password for XDA to be 'firewood'. Rather than just typing it, try substituting letters for numbers, like this: F1r3W00d. Mix up your capital and lower-case letters, even substitute characters for letters or numbers. Do anything you can to ensure your passwords don't resemble anything from a dictionary!

I have no idea whether these steps have helped, but I haven't been the victim of online identity theft yet - even my passwords have never been compromised.

I think it's something we should always keep in mind, but never worry too much about. The risk is always there but it's a big, wide world ;)

selva.simple

Feb 1, 2012
Chennai
. I have little faith in an app to look after my security however, and would instead recommend a few lifestyle changes where possible, to improve your security:

Happy to see u again juzz :) Yes thats true, more than an app, we shud be more conscious in our lifestyle and trend towards using our smartphone. And Congrats that u r part of "DEVELOPER COMMITEE".. Or is it u were already there in it and am i just noticing it now :D

Reactions: juzz86

D™

May 23, 2012

I think it's something we should always keep in mind, but never worry too much about. The risk is always there but it's a big, wide world ;)

Thanks Buddy. You suggestion is marvelous as like always.:good: But finest one is password setting in Alphanumeric ("Mix up your capital and lower-case letters, even substitute characters for letters or numbers"). I must add your suggestion & Adam one in OP.:eek: Thanks buddy.

Reactions: juzz86

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Yes I will write when I get on pc, and ask more info about the afaria app from my brother.and update it.

From my Limited Edition SGR ;)

AppLocker is a SW which lets you Lock ANYTHING n EVERYTHING in your phone,
you can lock, Messages,Contacts,Mail,Gallaery, etc etc, if you wish, you can lock all the apps, by just selecting LOCK ALL option, which is there in the App.

AFARIA is a device administrator, it is used by professionals whose mails and calender events strictly private/confidential,
my brother works for HP, he uses this app, and ofc it is recommended by the company,
he cannot access his mails and events, if this app is disable or enabled,
in his Galaxy Note he has installed it, and all the security options like swipe,number lock is disabled...
only Password is available, you cant set anyother lock other than Password...
If you try to remove this app, all your mails,events and personal data will be deleted

APP Lock - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.applock&feature=search_result
Afaria - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Android.Afaria&feature=search_result

selva.simple

Feb 1, 2012
Chennai
Mobile security not only matters about protecting our data from phising and virus attacks but also protecting it when v lost our device. Because a smartphone falling into wrong hands can cause so much of trouble. So just wanna list down following points interms of mobile security

• When u buy a new smartphone, take a mobile-insurance along with it (atleast for an year). We may sometime doesn't know its importance. But it matters a lot. It comes around of 3% of mobile cost. Keep your bills and insurance papers safely.

• For all important personal contents (Contacts, Pics, Videos, Docs, Messages) you store in smartphone, have a secondary backup in your system or hard disk. It comes in handy when ur phone is totally dead or lost. Take this backup atleast once in two months. Lots of software available for this.

• Use personal lock apps like "Keep safe" to lock/hide your personal data.

• Use Mobile security apps like "Lookup" or "Avast". Even if not for its ant-virus feature, but must for its features of "Anti-theft" features. Apps that help in locating the device if in case the mobile is stolen and kept on.Or when your sim card is replaced with a new sim, sending out a sms from the new sim to a pre-configured number.

• Apart from all these, an important feature is to destroy all your personal contents (complete Erase) in your mobile if in case it is stolen. This will prevent our data falling in hands of wrong people.More than device, our data matters a lot.
I'm a personal victim of a stolen mobile phone, my Wave II. Since that was the time, i flashed a leaked Bada 2.0, no data was there in my mobile. So atleast i was happy with that. I had my mobile insurance which got me the 80% of money which led my way to Android world via Galaxy R.

Last edited:
Reactions: pulley06 and D™

D™

May 23, 2012
This seems so fine when our mods and RC buddies are giving there time for issues which we usually neglect. Thanks selva buddy. Added ur suggestion in OP.:thumbup:

ashvyas

Aug 18, 2012
FAQ

below are few questions which might help you to update FAQ in OP :

1) Can we change/contol the permissions of an application in a rooted/non-rooted phone dynamically ? could any adverse effect if i do this ?

2) I there any encryption software which encrypt stored data/password (remembered password etc)? is this required ( or android inharit encryption is sufficient ) ?

3) what is meaning of basic permissions in layman's terms ?

4) if i trust application A and give it sensitive permissions and application B does not required major permission ; is it possible application B gain access of application A's data instead of direct access of system data ? how dangerous it is and if there any example out there?

5) any indication on device (behaviour) through which i can find out if my device is hacked/leaking information etc ??

6) is andorid secure then windos in normal uses terms ? for example is it more secure if i use a bank website on my android phone insted of my anti-virous protected windows machine or vice-versa ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey XDAian...:laugh:

Here I am back again for few suggestions & discussion. :)

Based on some pretty interesting facts about "mobile in general", The smartphone segment has brought accessibility to millions around the world, at work and at home. Naturally, all the data in those devices, wirelessly accessible, becomes a gold mine for those with nefarious motives to exploit.

On the work front, smartphones are a huge contributor to productivity. At home, they provide meaningful and useful (and sometimes redundant) ways to stay in touch with friends and family. The more of these devices we buy, the bigger the opportunity is for criminals, because there are so many ways to get the data. We might lose a device, or its is stolen, we might download a bad application, or soon brush against an NFC tag or visit a bad web-page. The possibilities are so diverse compared to a PC or server farm hardwired to the internet.

With the tremendous growth of the smartphone market not expected to slow down anytime soon, people and organizations must be vigilant in guarding against breaches of their data and/or personal information. Even as organized hackers work on ways to score the high-value breach, they are working on high-volume, low-risk attacks against weaker targets as well.:mad:

In addition to some tips about securing mobile devices, the infographic has some interesting facts from 2011 in there as well, such as 855 breaches resulted in the theft of 174 million records.

We Need some Security Applications for preventing our valuable data (like Msgs, Contacts, Pin codes etc). Therefore, from my side this thread belong to all XDAians.

Please suggest the latest, finest Applications & few tremendous suggestion from all Devs, RC, RD & Members.;)

I like a Security based Application called LBE Privacy Guard to Prevent sending data through various applications installed at our Mobile.:good:

MobileSecurityInfographic.jpg

Some Great Ideas Received from Our XDA Members. Which are here follows:
    As this OP thread may become too long so, for Batter view just press "Show Contents" for there suggestions.

This One is provided by Our Great Sr.MOD Justin:

I think it's something we should always keep in mind, but never worry too much about. The risk is always there but it's a big, wide world.;)

This One is provided by Our Great buddy Adam77root:

Here is few more points from our great RC Selva.simple.

* When u buy a new smartphone, take a mobile-insurance along with it (atleast for an year). We may sometime doesn't know its importance. But it matters a lot. It comes around of 3% of mobile cost. Keep your bills and insurance papers safely.

* For all important personal contents (Contacts, Pics, Videos, Docs, Messages) you store in smartphone, have a secondary backup in your system or hard disk. It comes in handy when ur phone is totally dead or lost. Take this backup atleast once in two months. Lots of software available for this.

* Use personal lock apps like "Keep safe" to lock/hide your personal data.

* Use Mobile security apps like "Lookup" or "Avast". Even if not for its ant-virus feature, but must for its features of "Anti-theft" features. Apps that help in locating the device if in case the mobile is stolen and kept on.Or when your sim card is replaced with a new sim, sending out a sms from the new sim to a pre-configured number.

* Apart from all these, an important feature is to destroy all your personal contents (complete Erase) in your mobile if in case it is stolen. This will prevent our data falling in hands of wrong people.More than device, our data matters a lot.

Source of this amazing ad is Phone Arena.

"How to secure your Android phone and protect your data"

Just Go to this thread for the same ->How to secure your Android phone and protect your data

Download LBE privacy Gaurd / master for mobile -> Click here for thread.

How to secure your Android phone and protect your data

How to secure your Android phone and protect your data​

securityandroid.jpg

All software has security vulnerabilities. It is a fact. You only need to look at the software updates that are issued by the big companies like Microsoft, Adobe, Apple and Google to see how prevalent is this security problem. Smartphones aren’t immune, not iPhones, not Windows Phones and not Android. But there are some simple things you can do that will drastically reduce your exposure and help secure your Android phone or tablet, as well as protect your data.

A recent report by Check Point, the firewall maker, estimated that €36+ million has been stolen from corporate and private bank accounts in Europe by a group running a campaign of attacks known as “Eurograbber”. The campaign infected victim’s mobile phones with a piece of malware which could intercept SMS messages. When the victim used their online banking the SMS authentication code sent to the phone was intercepted. This then allowed the attackers to access the victim’s account.

Securing your smartphone and protecting yourself against malware isn’t about stopping some annoying virus getting on your device, it is about protecting your money, data and privacy.

There are several different areas in which you can improve your phone’s security including physical access, malware protection and encryption.

Who has access to your phone?

RULE #1 – Never leave your phone laying around where uninvited guests can access it

Before looking at things like malware and data stealing apps, the simplest form of security is to limit physical access to your phone. There maybe lots of sophisticated remote attacks out there but if all I need to do is quickly pickup your phone and access your emails, PayPal, eBay or Amazon account while you pop off to get a coffee then all the security software in the world won’t do you any good.

RULE #2 – Use a lock screen

android-lock-screen.png

It is also essential that you use a lock screen. This stops everyone from small kids to determined snoopers from sneakily accessing your device. Modern Android versions have a whole gamut of lock screen options including pattern unlock, PIN numbers and password protection. To set these go to Settings and then tap Security. You can also customize how quickly the lock is automatically applied.

RULE #3 - Set a PIN to protect purchases on Google Play

It is also possible to set a PIN for purchases in Google Play. With the PIN any would-be trickster (or small child) won’t be able to buy content from Google’s app store. To set it, start the Google Play app, go to setting and then tap “Set or change PIN”. After the PIN is set, tap “Use PIN for purchases” to require the PIN before purchasing anything from the store.

RULE #4 – Install a phone location app or use a security app with an anti-theft component

Keeping your phone nearby and using a lock screen will thwart snoopers but the determined criminal will simply just walk away with your phone and try to extract the data later or simple wipe your phone and try and selling it. The first few hours after you phone has been taken are the most critical. To find your phone it is important to use a phone location service like Where’s My Droid or install a security app with an anti-theft option like avast! Mobile Security.

Malware

virus-1.jpg

RULE #5 – Don’t install apps from dodgy third party sites, stick to places like Google Play or the Amazon appstore

Because Android is so popular, it is normal for it to become a malware target. Malware authors don’t waste their time writing malware for a phone operating system that no one is using. This means that there is lots of Android malware out there. But here is thing, how does Android malware spread? Unlike worms, which spread automatically over the network or viruses which tend to spread via USB flash drives etc., the majority of Android malware needs to be installed manually. There have been some exceptions but in general it is unsuspecting users that install the malware themselves onto their own phones.

The malware authors have lots of dirty tricks to try and fool potential victims into installing their malware. One very common approach is to offer a free version of a popular non-free app with the malware hidden inside the app. Greedy users who think they are getting a bargain because they have managed to save $0.69, but in fact are infecting their devices with malware. Over 99% of Android malware is spread via third party app sites. Don’t use them.

RULE #6 – Always read the reviews of apps before installing them

RULE #7 – Check the permissions the app needs. Games generally don’t need to send SMS messages etc

A small percentage of malware is spread via Google Play, but the apps in question normally only survive a few hours on the store before being removed. To avoid such rare cases it is always important to read the reviews of other users and always check the app permissions.

RULE #8 – Never follow links in unsolicited emails or text messages to install an app

If the malware authors can’t get you via a third party store or their apps are taken down from Google Play, they have one more trick, unsolicited emails and text messages asking you to install an app. In the “Eurograbber” campaign, what the attackers did was infect the victim’s PC with a piece a malware (something which is a lot easier than infecting an Android phone) and then via that malware they tricked the user into installing their “enhanced security” app on their phone. The PC malware monitored the victim’s Internet usage and when they went to an online banking site the malware pretended to be a warning from the bank telling them to install an app on their smartphone. It was all downhill from there for the poor victim.

RULE #9 – Use an anti-virus / anti-malware app

Even with diligence it is possible for malware to find its way on to your device. It is therefore important that you install an anti-virus / anti-malware app. This best antivirus apps for Android article will help you choose one, but if you don’t have time right now then go for Kaspersky Mobile Security (paid) or avast! Mobile Security (free)

Rooting

CyanogenMod-no-root.png

RULE #10 – Don’t root your phone unless you absolutely need to

Some of my colleagues here at Android Authority are very keen on rooting and I can understand why. The lure of custom ROMs and the ability to tweak different parts of the OS are all part of what makes Android great. But, Android was designed with a very particular security model which limits what an app can do. By rooting a device this security model breaks. Even the CyanogenMod team acknowledged that there are limited uses for root and none that warrant shipping the OS defaulted to unsecured. The problem is there are specific types of Android malware that circumvent Android’s security mechanisms by using the existing root access. With root access, the malware can access parts of Android that are supposed to be protected by the permissions system.

Encryption

android-encryption.png

RULE #11 - If your device has valuable data on it then use encryption

Since Android 3 it is possible to use full encryption on a phone or tablet. By encrypting your device all the data including your Google Accounts, application data, media and downloaded information etc. becomes inaccessible without the right password or PIN. Every time you boot the device you must enter the PIN or password to decrypt it. If your device has valuable data on it using this encryption is a must. NASA recently had an embarrassing episode where a laptop was taken that held personally identifiable information of “at least” 10,000 NASA employees and contractors. After the incident NASA decided that any devices that leave a NASA building need to use full disk encryption.

RULE #12 – Use a VPN on unsecured Wi-Fi connections

While on the subject of encryption it is worth remembering that if you are using a public unsecured Wi-Fi hot spot all of the data that is send using http:// (rather than https://) can be seen my any network snooper. In the past security researchers have shown how easy can be to steal passwords to the popular social networking sites just by using a laptop and waiting around near a public open hot spot. To avoid revealing your password and other data, don’t use open Wi-Fi hot spots or use a virtual private network (VPN) to secure your connection.

Conclusion

If you follow these twelve rules and remain vigilant you should never have any security troubles with malware, thieves, hackers or any small furry animals! OK, that last part isn’t true, but the rest is!

Source: Android police
    The following is not related closely to security, but to devices being stolen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMWgIv35RSE News here was full of this video in the last days. The action takes places at 0:36 in the vid.