[Q] Recovering an n8010 from the leaked and locked n8000 kitkat

Search This thread

azureus139

Jan 6, 2010
First, I am not an expert. I cannot code, I do not produce ROMS in a kitchen. I can use google and I am determined and have learned bits. I offer what worked for me in the hope of helping others.

So, here’s the thing. Like others I went for the release version of KitKat for n8000 and by missing out the modem bit flashed it via Odin. Now the proper KitKat for n8010 comes out but it won’t update via odin, KIES is not happy either. I blame no one but me for this.

I figure it is the sboot that is the problem so I look for a way to flash without it. When I say “I figure” I mean I have put two and two together from many hours of google reading. I may be wrong but in the end I managed it.

Long story a little shorter I find Heimdall and I extracted the components from the n8010 kitkat update (I used winrar on the BTU version) and flashed them leaving out the sboot.img and tz.img bits as either would lead to failed flash. I now have a working n8010 with KitKat which under device, under settings, gives the n8010 build number and is recognised as an n8010 by kies.

It still says n8000 under download mode (due to locked sboot) but if I may get future updates via kies, as it recognises it as an n8010 and says it is up to date for now, then that works well enough for me.

Detailed instructions:

1. Download and unzip your update file of choice and extract the tar.md5 file to separate files. I used winrar but suspect 7-zip would work equally.
2. Download Heimdall (just Google it!).
3. Unzip Heimdall and you should have several files in the folder called Heimdall.exe, Heimdall-Frontend.exe, QtCore4.dll, QtGui4.dll, Readme.txt and drivers folder containing zadig.exe.
4. Run zadig.exe from the Drivers folder of the Heimdall Suite.
5. If you get an error as follows:

The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer.

This means that you haven't installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtimes. Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) and install it. Use the x86 even if you are running 64 bit Windows.
6. Put you tab into Download mode (while the tab is OFF hold Volume Down + Power Button). Hook the tab up to you PC.
7. Once you’ve started Zadig.exe and connected to PC choose Options » List All Devices from the menu.
8. Select Samsung USB Composite Device or MSM8x60 or Gadget Serial or Device Name from the drop down menu. (If nothing relevant appears, try uninstalling any Samsung related Windows software, like Samsung Windows drivers and/or Kies).
9. Click Replace Driver (having selected "Install Driver" from the drop down list built into the button).
10. If you are prompted with a warning that the installer is unable to verify the publisher of the driver, select Install this driver anyway. You may receive two more prompts about security. Select the options that allow you to carry on.
11. You will need to re-install the Samsung drivers later if you want to run kies.
12. Run Heimdall-Frontend.exe.
13. Hit the utilities tab then detect button.
14. If it doesn’t say detected in the output box it will not work. Try to repeat the above steps. Use a different usb port or a different pc.
15. Now you need to create a pit file. Hit save as and give it a name. Then hit download and it will create a pit file for you.
16. Go to Flash tab and hit browse and find the pit file you created earlier.
17. Then hit the add button. You will notice a drop down menu has appeared next to partition name. Then if you look below under Partition ID in brackets it says what sort of file it needs. So for example MD5HDR in the drop down requires md5.img. Use browse to find the relevant file from the files you extracted in step 1 and select then hit add again. Then repeat this until you have selected all the extracted files EXCEPT sboot.img and tz.img.
18. Hit start.
19. Bask in your new updated n8010 without needing kies or odin.

If you want to repeat this on another tab you can create a heimdall install package using the partitions and pit file you’ve created using the create package tab.

Now comes the question...

I've found places that offer an app for testing whether the sboot is locked (not sure how useful that is?) but several also offer a method for replacing a locked sboot. Such as this batch file:

@ECHO Restore OLD BOOTLOADER N7100!
@pause
@ECHO --- STARTING ----
@ECHO --- WAITING FOR DEVICE
@files1\adb wait-for-device
@ECHO --- Restore BOOTLOADER ---
@files1\adb push sboot.bin /sdcard/sboot.bin
@files1\adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/sboot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1"
@files1\adb shell rm /sdcard/sboot.bin
@files1\adb reboot fota_bl
@pause

There are others for different Samsung devices but all have the same block/mmcblk0p1 as the block to replace the sboot. And I also found a common block for the tz.img; mmcblk0p2. My question is whether this would work for the n8010, could we edit this batch slightly, grab the relevant files from a n8010 kitkat update and then have a n8010 sboot again?

Just hoping someone is either expert enough to know or brave enough to try?

Last edited:

jika23

I was thinking on a different aproache.
Using the leaked firmware as a guide and UK firmware. Change the sboot.bin and the tz.img on UK firm to that one on the leaked. And try to flash trough Odin.

Enviado do meu OT-995 através de Tapatalk

azureus139

Jan 6, 2010
That may also work.

What do you think of my suggested method to replace the sboot?

I was thinking on a different aproache.
Using the leaked firmware as a guide and UK firmware. Change the sboot.bin and the tz.img on UK firm to that one on the leaked. And try to flash trough Odin.

Enviado do meu OT-995 através de Tapatalk

azureus139

Jan 6, 2010
I am downloading the gtn7100 kitkat and will extract to check whether they are the same size. That should get us one step closer. I am still not brave enough to use adb to replace the sboot until someone more expert can comment on whether it is likley to be same address on the n8010.

Your method works very well for me. However, we need to find someone willing on XDA to find a solution to revert the bootloaders to N8010 from N8000.

azureus139

Jan 6, 2010
that batch file won't do it

Decided to give it a try after further research.

I learned what the different commands did and I made an edit of the batch file. All seemed to go well replacing the sboot and tz but it didn't work, still showing as n8000 in download mode.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
secure boot key is what your looking for

From past devices with SECURE.. NOT LOCKED boot loader.

This new knox boot loader is locked.. And im assuming.. that its locked with a SBK.. Secure boot key.. We had this issue back with the acer a 500. Where we could sign and flash a custom rom. If rom / android version was same or newer then the Versions set in the Secure boot key.

EVENTUALLY Someone found a way to Turn off that sbk . but this was only to those who had not yet flashed the sbk secure boot loader. So if today someone finds a fix for this.. It will ONLY Help those not in your situation . I think PEOPLE Should start screaming at and Protesting samsung that you DO not want there sbk boot loader as default on all devices and you should be able to remove it. But i can tell you. its a waster cause. and this device is not popular enough for someone to break up a the boot loader to get the sbk algorithms . LOok up the old threads ON THE ACER A500 Tablet.. you will see its Quite similar .

SO you are Likely STUCK...

Sorry . this is why i have NOT Flashed one of these roms on my n8013.. I will NOT Be in this situation..

azureus139

Jan 6, 2010
Well I was already out of warranty so that isn't an issue and I have it working with the proper kitkat for my device so tbh I don't know what difference it really makes. It shows n8000 in download mode and I will have to do something tricky via heimdall for any future updates, is that the only difference? Does it mean no access to custom roms as so far I've been happy to use stock and remove all bloat so that won't be too bad for me personally although it would be a real pain for some.

From past devices with SECURE.. NOT LOCKED boot loader.

This new knox boot loader is locked.. And im assuming.. that its locked with a SBK.. Secure boot key.. We had this issue back with the acer a 500. Where we could sign and flash a custom rom. If rom / android version was same or newer then the Versions set in the Secure boot key.

EVENTUALLY Someone found a way to Turn off that sbk . but this was only to those who had not yet flashed the sbk secure boot loader. So if today someone finds a fix for this.. It will ONLY Help those not in your situation . I think PEOPLE Should start screaming at and Protesting samsung that you DO not want there sbk boot loader as default on all devices and you should be able to remove it. But i can tell you. its a waster cause. and this device is not popular enough for someone to break up a the boot loader to get the sbk algorithms . LOok up the old threads ON THE ACER A500 Tablet.. you will see its Quite similar .

SO you are Likely STUCK...

Sorry . this is why i have NOT Flashed one of these roms on my n8013.. I will NOT Be in this situation..

Last edited:

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
As i said i never flashed that on my device. I am thinking all the issues/ benefits quarks of having the n 8000 boot loader on a non n 8000 device.. There may be NO Disadvantage unless Samsung Chooses to change how they sign there roms and so on.I just think Samsung Should Give us a way to avoid this .

JamesEsh

Jul 8, 2014
so would we be best to wipe data before doing this? just still have all the n8000 icons in the top corner like data icon etc.

keevo2481

Jul 13, 2014
fail to finish

Firstly, great guide

Extremely happy you made this guide.
I'm getting stuck though at the download on Heimdall

Either getting: Initialising connection... Detecting device... Claiming interface... Setting up interface... Initialising protocol... ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed! Releasing device interface...

OR

ERROR: Failed to send data!

really wanting to get my tablet back up and running as I only had it for a few days before i tried to update it/brick it with n8000

Just wondering if you can create a package in Heimdall or upload pit files as i'm struggling to make to get through.
thanks heaps!

azureus139

Jan 6, 2010
If you can't get heimdall to detect your tablet then it isn't going to flash to it either so a pit file wouldn't help you. It looks like a driver problem. I'd try uninstalling any samsung drivers and / or kies then reinstalling the heimdall ones.

Firstly, great guide

Extremely happy you made this guide.
I'm getting stuck though at the download on Heimdall

Either getting: Initialising connection... Detecting device... Claiming interface... Setting up interface... Initialising protocol... ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed! Releasing device interface...

OR

ERROR: Failed to send data!

really wanting to get my tablet back up and running as I only had it for a few days before i tried to update it/brick it with n8000

Just wondering if you can create a package in Heimdall or upload pit files as i'm struggling to make to get through.
thanks heaps!

Last edited:

keevo2481

Jul 13, 2014
This driver is too tired

Thought that could be the issue as it changes every time I reinstall the usb driver. Currently too tired. Going to do a fresh windows or Linux install on my spare computer so it's fresh to go and hopefully doesn't have driver issues. Will confirm how it goes either way. Computer needed an upgrade from 7->8.1 anyway.

kataik95

Jan 19, 2013
Budapest
wifi problem

hy guys i just did that the guide said everything is working very well i m on 4.4.2 stock samsung. But the WIFI is not working. :crying: can you help me how to fix?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, I am not an expert. I cannot code, I do not produce ROMS in a kitchen. I can use google and I am determined and have learned bits. I offer what worked for me in the hope of helping others.

So, here’s the thing. Like others I went for the release version of KitKat for n8000 and by missing out the modem bit flashed it via Odin. Now the proper KitKat for n8010 comes out but it won’t update via odin, KIES is not happy either. I blame no one but me for this.

I figure it is the sboot that is the problem so I look for a way to flash without it. When I say “I figure” I mean I have put two and two together from many hours of google reading. I may be wrong but in the end I managed it.

Long story a little shorter I find Heimdall and I extracted the components from the n8010 kitkat update (I used winrar on the BTU version) and flashed them leaving out the sboot.img and tz.img bits as either would lead to failed flash. I now have a working n8010 with KitKat which under device, under settings, gives the n8010 build number and is recognised as an n8010 by kies.

It still says n8000 under download mode (due to locked sboot) but if I may get future updates via kies, as it recognises it as an n8010 and says it is up to date for now, then that works well enough for me.

Detailed instructions:

1. Download and unzip your update file of choice and extract the tar.md5 file to separate files. I used winrar but suspect 7-zip would work equally.
    2. Download Heimdall (just Google it!).
    3. Unzip Heimdall and you should have several files in the folder called Heimdall.exe, Heimdall-Frontend.exe, QtCore4.dll, QtGui4.dll, Readme.txt and drivers folder containing zadig.exe.
    4. Run zadig.exe from the Drivers folder of the Heimdall Suite.
    5. If you get an error as follows:

The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer.

This means that you haven't installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtimes. Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) and install it. Use the x86 even if you are running 64 bit Windows.
    6. Put you tab into Download mode (while the tab is OFF hold Volume Down + Power Button). Hook the tab up to you PC.
    7. Once you’ve started Zadig.exe and connected to PC choose Options » List All Devices from the menu.
    8. Select Samsung USB Composite Device or MSM8x60 or Gadget Serial or Device Name from the drop down menu. (If nothing relevant appears, try uninstalling any Samsung related Windows software, like Samsung Windows drivers and/or Kies).
    9. Click Replace Driver (having selected "Install Driver" from the drop down list built into the button).
    10. If you are prompted with a warning that the installer is unable to verify the publisher of the driver, select Install this driver anyway. You may receive two more prompts about security. Select the options that allow you to carry on.
    11. You will need to re-install the Samsung drivers later if you want to run kies.
    12. Run Heimdall-Frontend.exe.
    13. Hit the utilities tab then detect button.
    14. If it doesn’t say detected in the output box it will not work. Try to repeat the above steps. Use a different usb port or a different pc.
    15. Now you need to create a pit file. Hit save as and give it a name. Then hit download and it will create a pit file for you.
    16. Go to Flash tab and hit browse and find the pit file you created earlier.
    17. Then hit the add button. You will notice a drop down menu has appeared next to partition name. Then if you look below under Partition ID in brackets it says what sort of file it needs. So for example MD5HDR in the drop down requires md5.img. Use browse to find the relevant file from the files you extracted in step 1 and select then hit add again. Then repeat this until you have selected all the extracted files EXCEPT sboot.img and tz.img.
    18. Hit start.
    19. Bask in your new updated n8010 without needing kies or odin.

If you want to repeat this on another tab you can create a heimdall install package using the partitions and pit file you’ve created using the create package tab.

Now comes the question...

I've found places that offer an app for testing whether the sboot is locked (not sure how useful that is?) but several also offer a method for replacing a locked sboot. Such as this batch file:

@ECHO Restore OLD BOOTLOADER N7100!
    @pause
    @ECHO --- STARTING ----
    @ECHO --- WAITING FOR DEVICE
    @files1\adb wait-for-device
    @ECHO --- Restore BOOTLOADER ---
    @files1\adb push sboot.bin /sdcard/sboot.bin
    @files1\adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/sboot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1"
    @files1\adb shell rm /sdcard/sboot.bin
    @files1\adb reboot fota_bl
    @pause

There are others for different Samsung devices but all have the same block/mmcblk0p1 as the block to replace the sboot. And I also found a common block for the tz.img; mmcblk0p2. My question is whether this would work for the n8010, could we edit this batch slightly, grab the relevant files from a n8010 kitkat update and then have a n8010 sboot again?

Just hoping someone is either expert enough to know or brave enough to try?
    Any news on restoring the n8010 bootloader? Would a jtag service be able to restore it?

Nothing from me. Everything I found says no way to unlock or replace the kitkat sboot. The n7100 apparently has a way but none for the 8xxx that I have found. Don't know what a jtag is?