Stock 4.4.2 update makes z1 unable to read microSD

Search This thread

digiknowzone

Jan 22, 2014
Hi guys, ever since I updated to kitkat, my Z1 could not read the micro SD. Anybody experiencing this?

Any fixes? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

chunlianghere

Oct 22, 2011
the fix below is for write to sd card. not sure u encounter is cannot write?

u need to root it. than download a app call NextApp SDFix.

another manual way is to add a line(below in BOLD) in platform.xml under /system/etc/permissions

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE">

<group gid="sdcard_r"/>

<group gid="sdcard_rw"/>

<group gid="media_rw"/></permission>

anuragcool

Mar 6, 2014
karnal
I am havng the same problem. Any explorer app is not able to read memory card

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris
OK, you read the first post to say you had the same problem. The fix is given in the VERY NEXT post. Please read it.

Even with the fix that doesn't work correctly all the time.

I still have some problem with some apps like simply album or walkman that simply doesn't read the external SDCard, but that not all the time i have no idea why...
Reboot the phone doesn't solve it all the time and unmount/remount the external SDCard doesn't change anything as well.

Last edited:

slayer2333

Dec 30, 2013
toronto
You seem to slam the update a lot considering you have never tried it.

The fix works for me perfectly and I have not heard of anyone else saying anything else.

The fix using that app somewhat works for me, with some other explorer apps such as ES explorer, rootexplorer or Solid explorer, moving these apps (after installing them) to system/app gave me the full access to the SD card (Read/write).

This solution however did not work for me with Dolphin Browser (so that i can set my download folder to SDCard), it simply says that it has no access.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth

The fix works for me perfectly and I have not heard of anyone else saying anything else.

Yes, I do, in fact for many reasons like SD restrictions, even if there is a fix, and more reported issues which in % they are a lot, more from complaining about 4.2 or 4.3. From day 1 I search to get full access and data on my SD, because to me is a bid deal have data on SD "Natively". This really blow my mind as we want more control on our devices, instead we get more restrictions and we have to fight with all of them. All this at the moment stopping me from update.

chunlianghere

Oct 22, 2011
Try the update and see for for yourself. It's a bit hard to give advice when you have not done it yourself.

I will try it with dolphin browser tomorrow and report back

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

anyway i also using dolphin browser. n was shock tat it cant read sdcard too. so it shld be the dolphin browser itself is havin the problem. its beta version also cannot access sdcard.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

That is why I did not update to KK.

why? jus try it. else u wil nv learn something new.

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris

No it's not, i need to unmount/remount the external SDCard and reboot the phone sometimes because some apps like Album or Walkman don't see anymore files on it.

Last edited:

ishengard

Apr 4, 2014
You may want to do (some people suggestion):
1. Insert your SD card to your PC
2. Backup your SD card
3. Format your SD card
4. Copy 5 good picture/music/video to your SD card
5. Insert SD card to your device and check
6. If all good, copy your file to original but bit by bit and check if your SD card can still be read or no.

Last edited:

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris
You may want to do (some people suggestion):
1. Insert your SD card to your PC
2. Backup your SD card
3. Format your SD card
4. Copy 5 good picture/music/video to your SD card
5. Insert SD card to your device and check
6. If all good, copy your file to original but bit by bit and check if your SD card can still be read or no.

You got the point, when i remove the SDCard i haven't any trouble...maybe my SDCard become a little buggy, sad it's a XC cat10 64Go SDCard :/

xneo70

Apr 4, 2012
I have a problem: if i cancel some pics with album app. THEN în Next boot they are back again. The fixsd app says i have no problem. But filecommander says It has only Read access to sd kard. What's going on?

Inviato dal mio C6903 utilizzando Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

The problem is Bad. If i shot a picture with camera saving in sd card the Photo is gone if i reboot.

Inviato dal mio C6903 utilizzando Tapatalk

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris
I have a problem: if i cancel some pics with album app. THEN în Next boot they are back again. The fixsd app says i have no problem. But filecommander says It has only Read access to sd kard. What's going on?

Yeah this KK update totally ruined the SDCard access, i've simply returned to 4.3 and that works perfectly.

Flashben

Oct 12, 2010
Fyi, currently the only file manager that is able to write sd card is the native file commander which comes with Xperia phone... ES and Astro both cannot...

slayer2333

Dec 30, 2013
toronto
Fyi, currently the only file manager that is able to write sd card is the native file commander which comes with Xperia phone... ES and Astro both cannot...

Simply move your explorer app into system/app then reboot to get r/w access to sd card

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts