Review/Pics: Skinomi carbon fiber skin, tab & dock

Search This thread

Jeffrey_L

Jul 6, 2010
Mmmm...
The skin makes the back somewhat better to hold on to.
Not a slick surface I would say.

Yer wood grain skin is not soft or rubbery.
I believe a lot of folks get the carbon fiber for it's design and because it may provide more grip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the brushed steel look from ajamils post further back in this thread.

I don't care for the carbon fiber skin, but I like the woodgrain and the brushed steel (thanks for that pic).

I might give it a try. I ordered a fairly inexpensive case and it's ok, but I really like the idea of the slim tablet on its own.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
I don't care for the carbon fiber skin, but I like the woodgrain and the brushed steel (thanks for that pic).

I might give it a try. I ordered a fairly inexpensive case and it's ok, but I really like the idea of the slim tablet on its own.

Gotta say the dark wood looks like real wood to me...kind of neat-o.
Plus that blasted corner scrape is no longer bugging me.

One note*
I noticed last night that the skin covers the little LED ... certainly not a biggee for me however.
Good luck if you go with a Skinomi and search for a 25% code on the web, really brings the price down.

anhqn91

Dec 30, 2010
Portland
Got a brushed steel AND carbon fiber for the tablet only for only 17 bucks :D had a 70% off coupon and worked well. Currently using brushed steel on the dock and carbon fiber on the tablet, because carbon fiber seems to bee less likely to show if there's a scratch =P
All fits well even with screen protector installed.

Reactions: Gubi99

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my Skinomi skins today and after applying I have to say I'm impressed. I was eager to see if it would fit in the dock with it on too, and it does. It's just a little tight but it does fit fine.

When the skin arrives it comes shipped in a tube, since it's rolled up in the tube the ends of the skin want to peel up. If it was rolled the other way it would of been much better. After learning from the tablet skin I re-rolled the dock skin the other way and put it back in the tube for 30 minutes or so and that helped.

My advice when putting the skin on is to only use the application fluid on the large main skin parts (top for the tab and bottom for the dock), and be sure NOT to get any fluid on the small edging/side parts of the skin. Once the main back part is on, bubble free and aligned it will be easy to stick down the sides if there's no fluid on them. In my case I put the fluid all over and the smaller side parts kept peeling themselves up and it took a lot of holding down till they were stuck (the whole process took me about an hour for the tablet).

Lesson learned, on the dock skin I only used a small amount of fluid on the main bottom part and none on the little parts and it was a much faster process. Using a hair dryer will aide in the drying time and also makes the skin more malleable so it doesn't want to peel itself back.

The tablet skin comes with a clear screen protector that I'm not using. I use an anti-glare screen protector (3 pack available on Amazon for $14.95) and I like this set up a lot. A few other reviews for this skin said because the clear screen protector is a bit sticky when you close the tab the screen sticks to the skin on the dock and it cause bubbles in the screen. With the very non-sticky screen protector I have, this isn't an issue.

All-in-all I'm impressed with the skin. It's a very tough vinyl, has a great texture to it (actually feels like carbon fiber and makes for a nice feel in the hand) and provides good coverage on almost all of the tablet and dock.

The only down side is the set up (especially if you use a different screen protector) is a little pricy... But, if you want to protect your tablet and dock while making the setup look bad @ss this is the way to go!!

UPDATE: A small part of the corner of the skin (a very thin strip that covers the corner on the top of the tablet) came off, was torn by the case. I contacted Skinomi as the skin has a lifetime warranty and they're sending me a whole new skin for free. Prompt customer service too. Good company...

Links:
    Tablet skin on Amazon, $26.94 with shipping
    Dock skin on Amazon, $18.94 with shipping.

If you like this review please click the thanks button below!!!

P7310001.jpg

P7310002.jpg

P7310003.jpg

P7310004.jpg

If anyone wants pics of any specific part of the tab or dock to see exact fitting just let me know and I'll take it and post here!
    So I finally finished installing the brushed steel skin. I love the quality and fitment. There are some small pieces what could have been a little bigger to cover some for keyboard parts but overall its awesome. I also like the texture which makes it feel like it is actual brushed steel.

One suggestion for people who are planning to do this install, when installing pieces on the corners or smaller pieces, use hair drier on low setting to warm up the skin and the are and it will help a lot in skin sticking correctly.

P.S: Attached are some pics of T700 and the dock (TF201 dock).
    The dock is actually easier. The part I found hard was the small parts of the tablet skin on the side/top/bottom kept wanting to peel themselves back and it took a lot of holding it in place while drying. The dock I would only use a small amount of the fluid on the main piece and just stick on all the small pieces, it's easy and nothing wants to peel itself back.

I don't plan on using the screen protector, don't like the feel of it and I prefer anti-glare. I used a similar one on my Xoom and it took almost a week for the streaks to clear and even then it didn't look very good. I also read another review that said the screen protector will stick to the skin on the dock and cause bubbles to form. The anti-glare screen protector I use isn't sticky at all and I don't have this issue (Poetic anti-glare screen protectors - 3 pack, $14.95 on Amazon)

Will give covering the dock a try sometime tomorrow. As for the screen protector, I am not a fan of anti-glare ones. They make the screen look grainy and degrades picture quality (atleast that's what I experienced when I used them on Prime). Is that still the case?
    Which set did you order ?

Is it the combination of these 2 :
    http://www.skinomi.com/sk11340-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700-brushed-steel-skin-protector.html
    http://www.skinomi.com/sk10198-asus...yboard-dock-brushed-steel-skin-protector.html

Can you also take the pics of the screen protector and comment on the quality screen? Does it degrade the quality?

Does the back of the tablet protector cover the part which goes into the dock?

Yes, that the combination that I ordered. Quality of the screen protector is not as bad as I initially thought and it has completely cleared but if I was to buy just the screen protector, Skinomi won't be be my first choice.

Yes, the protector covers all the parts that go in the dock as well and because of that it makes it look like it was designed that way and look awesome. One word of advise though, I took out the tablet from the dock for the first time after installing the skin and something in the dock chipped small part of the skin. They are very small spots but they look bad none the less. Also, with the skin and screen protector installed, its a very tight fit. (Btw, I am using Tf201 dock)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Got a brushed steel AND carbon fiber for the tablet only for only 17 bucks :D had a 70% off coupon and worked well. Currently using brushed steel on the dock and carbon fiber on the tablet, because carbon fiber seems to bee less likely to show if there's a scratch =P
    All fits well even with screen protector installed.